Bowery Capital Reviews

Updated May 22, 2018

4.7
  1. "Excellent spring MBA internship"

Former Intern - Spring MBA in New York, NY

I worked at Bowery Capital for less than a year

Pros

Bowery Capital is one of the best-regarded names in venture capital community in New York and beyond. The firm has a precise investment thesis on B2B software at the seed stage, as well as a strong acceleration function for the portfolio companies. The team have a very diverse network of contacts in their verticals and leverage it fantastically to keep insightful conversations going on Bowery Cap podcast and blog. Enterprise sales is a primary topic and Mike Brown, the founding partner, teaches related classes at Columbia Business School. I had the pleasure of working for Bowery Capital as a spring intern. The firm runs a very structured program, which combines tasks with educational sessions. This makes the firm a terrific place to learn about how venture capital works, as well as to develop a deeper knowledge in particular domains since the team is flexible and supportive of the initiative. Subsequent rounds for Bowery Cap portfolio companies are often run with the very top later stage firms from both coasts, and the team is generous to send intros and recommendations. This makes the firm truly a launchpad of talent for the industry, which is otherwise very closed and non-linear in the career sense.

Cons

Combining the internship with a full-time study only allows for one day in the office. This somewhat limits the exposure to the firm day-to-day business and might skew task allocation towards less urgent or critical matters.

2. "Great Experience"

I worked at Bowery Capital part-time

Pros

The leadership is fantastic. Lots of hands on experience. Great network. They really bring you on the team from day 1 and the work is purposeful.

Cons

Non that come to mind.

3. "Excellent Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Bowery Capital

Pros

The leadership is supportive of the entire team. They are approachable, organized, and transparent, helping build a productive and enjoyable atmosphere. The work itself is meaningful and interesting, giving interns a realistic exposure to venture capital and the broader B2B SaaS ecosystem. Altogether, the internship program is a wonderful launchpad with interns getting out of it what they put into it.

Cons

Not Applicable to Bowery Capital

4. "Spring Intern Experience"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Bowery Capital

Pros

As an undergraduate student at Columbia, I interned at Bowery Capital for Spring and early Summer 2018. - Collaborative and fun culture. Great mix of a challenging yet supportive environment. The team is very understanding in terms of giving a manageable workload. - Mike, Nic, Loren, Alex, and Andrew are extremely approachable, give great feedback, cater projects based on your interests, and care about your professional development. - Many opportunities to take on new initiatives/projects that interns lead entirely, such as drafting idea briefs, investment memos, etc. Projects often contain quantitative work for exposure to financial statements. - Direct chance to sit in on pitches from incoming companies. - Opportunities to interact with portfolio companies, for example, meeting founders at the Annual General Meeting and visiting several offices out in San Francisco.

Cons

There was an extensive weekly lunch and learn session that taught the interns about the VC sphere. Could have extended it for a longer period of time.

Continue reading
  5. "Fantastic Early Stage VC Fund"

in New York, NY

I worked at Bowery Capital

Pros

+ Great company culture -- they allow you to shape your own role; very fun office environment. + You're welcome, and even encouraged, to sit in on any meetings / pitches that are of interest. + Mike, Nic and Loren welcome feedback and encourage you to engage wherever it makes sense. + The firm is very hands-on with portfolio companies so you get a good sense of VC not just from an investing perspective but also from an operational sense.

Cons

None I can think of,

6. "Simply The Best!"

Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Bowery Capital for more than 3 years

Pros

- Bowery was a great forum for learning and a stepping stone for my career in growth-stage SaaS Marketing. - Mike & Nic always listened to and heard my opinions and suggestions—acting on them when appropriate. - The team is experts in the early-stage B2B SaaS space and I was always a fan of how detailed they (we) were in evaluating potential investments. - Generally positive work environment with an emphasis on working hard without taking yourself too seriously. - Mike was really helpful in the next steps of my career path.

Cons

- Was with the team for just under 4 years from AOLV to Bowery so it wasn't all smooth sailing, but I can honestly say it was an overall incredible work experience. Wouldn't trade my time at Bowery for anything else.

Continue reading
  7. "Elite Early Stage Fund in NYC"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bowery Capital full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Bowery has emerged as an elite early stage firm in NY and the firm is often a 'first call' for entrepreneurs on both coasts - Partners give tons of responsibility to junior team - Firm adds real value to portfolio companies, not passive investors - Great launchpad for other VC roles or exec role at a startup

Cons

If you like consumer focused tech or later stage investing like growth equity then BC isn't for you

8. "Rockstar Early Stage VC Firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bowery Capital full-time

Pros

- For such a young firm, Bowery has clearly established itself as one of the go-to players in the enterprise tech space - Mike & Nic's focused vision on their specific space and goal to instill certain values in Bowery has clearly paid off - The team is wicked smart, highly efficient, and very well connected. You're able to speak with some of the brightest minds available in their respective space and are able to help craft a thesis and conviction around deals - Bowery is an extremely lean organization (as are most VC funds) and as other reviews have suggested, the team gives you plenty of room to run to help add value, get smarter, and work on cool projects. As long as you get your work done, you have the freedom to work on a wide variety of projects. - Bowery is also an incredible platform to learn from. Mike & Nic really go the extra mile in helping to educate team members about the venture process and look forward to mentoring you and keeping in touch even if you leave the firm - The Bowery Alumni network is an incredible resource and is very tight knit. I continue to rely on this group at my current fund - I personally owe the Bowery team with putting me in a position to obtain not one, but two VC jobs post my time with Bowery. The firm is very well run and is set up to provide an outstanding experience to all team members.

Cons

None. Overly positive experience.

Continue reading
  9. "Top early stage VC firm with well defined investment thesis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bowery Capital full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Bowery Capital is one of the up and coming NYC-based early stage venture capital shops with a well defined investment thesis (B2B Enterprise Software) and a strong leadership team - Great mentorship culture in which junior investment professionals are given a lot of responsibility / see all aspects of the investment process - Lean process organization, very much into test and learn - Alumni + entrepreneur network is incredibly strong / supportive, I leaned on this network in subsequent roles at other firms even years after leaving Bowery - Team is tight-knit outside of work with monthly outtings and drink events

Cons

- Second what was said it being a self-starter culture, a lot of runway for personal / professional growth but not a hyper structured environment where people are going to be micromanaging; as is often the case in VC often you have to craft your own schedule and try to add value rather than wait for inbound assignments

Continue reading
  10. "A+ venture capital launchpad"

Former Employee - Partner in New York, NY

I worked at Bowery Capital part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Bowery was a formative opportunity to learn alongside a dedicated, thoughtful and ambitious team building a premier venture capital brand. My time at Bowery was my first foray into venture capital and I owe a great deal to Mike and the team for enabling me to build my career in this industry. Mike literally taught me the basics of being a venture capitalist. He set an example for how to chart a compelling firm strategy, build a dynamic culture, earn the opportunity to participate in competitive deals, support your portfolio and nurture your broader network. The day to day was exciting and varied and I walked away with knowledge, experience and relationships that continue to pay dividends.

Cons

None to list. It was a very positive experience.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 English Reviews