Bowhead Family of Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Terry Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "HR is not visible whatsoever and upper management in certain departments do not have the time to properly train due to overall disorganization" (in 3 reviews)

• "Management seems at times to be in a daze" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good company overall"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Dahlgren, VA
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Dahlgren, VA

I have been working at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very hands off and allows you to succeed without micromanagement. Everyone was very friendly and helpful within the company as well.

Cons

The hands off nature was so strong felt a bit isolating at times, and the pay was not as competitive as it could have been.

Advice to Management

Perhaps engage with the workers a bit more. Working in a different building made it feel like we were barely apart of the company at times. Its a trivial complaint, and overall it was a pleasure working at Bowhead.

2. "Net Instructor"

I worked at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You had the opportunity to travel to a lot of places.

Cons

The management didn’t look out for their employees and very low wages.

"Values Matter at Bowhead"

I have been working at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company adheres to the values that the Inupiat people have given to our team in Government Services (GS). We are the largest part of the UIC companies with over 3000 employees. The teams here at HQ are strong and the folks are very friendly to work with. We get free bagels/donuts and such once a month as well as monthly birthdays, which are fun. The 401k is descent and the benefits are good, not great. Come to this company because you want to work with people who value the Inupiat values. You can read them on the website at bowheadsupport.com.

Cons

This is government consulting work and has more challenges than much of the work in the commercial sector. The Government client can be very demanding and meeting those demands takes patience and persistence.

Advice to Management

Keep the ship on course and look towards a 20 year plan.

4. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Security Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Security Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management at the local level. Company is very focused on doing what is right for their customers. The company has great flexibility in what they can do to support the customer. If you are working hard for the customer and they are happy with you, then you are left alone by management to perform. Great company.

Cons

Bonus is a joke each year.

Advice to Management

Great where I work at. My local manager is very responsive and does what they can to make sure I can perform for the customer.

5. "Not the worst, but never exceeding mediocrity"

I worked at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time

Pros

Stable employment, almost near universal refusal to terminate regardless of level of performance in job.

Cons

See above, lots of employees skating by on the bare minimum of skill and work ethos, completely terrible HR department ( repeatedly unable to understand time zones while coordinating from Virginia across the country)
    Little to no advancement
    Poor insurance benefits (so bad they are required by federal law to pay employees a differential for them being inadequate)

Advice to Management

None, they're clearly happy providing mediocre service to the government agencies, if they wanted to improve they could, instead they skate by on ANC preferential contracting.

6. "Do not work here!"

I have been working at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment for the most part.

Cons

HR is not visible whatsoever and upper management in certain departments do not have the time to properly train due to overall disorganization. Instead of recognizing these internal errors, employees are blamed for missing the mark and are expected to piece together information on their own without prior knowledge. This is very true for the department I currently work in, and is the main factor in my decision to seek employment elsewhere. Upper management takes care of one another and there is no obvious trajectory unless you're favored. Also, the compensation is terrible and they are EXTREMELY cheap and misleading when it comes to investing in lower level employees. If you are a young professional and know no one on the inside, do not waste your time here.

Advice to Management

Better training, compensation, and more VISIBILITY. Remote management can only be so helpful.

7. "Alaskan-Owned Company Branching Out"

I worked at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time

Pros

Management allowed leads the freedom to control their sections.

Cons

Clear direction was sometimes lacking.

Advice to Management

Provide clear expectations of first-line leaders and employees.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth with this company. They promote from within, and really care about their employees.

Cons

Medical plan could be better.

9. "ANC"

I worked at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time

Pros

Good work and office environment. Lots of business opportunities in many areas. Growth is in cycles, depending of contracts that are won.

Cons

Management immature. To indecisive and changing to often, Need consistent plans for the future that are followed. Tend to change business directions each time revenue goes down. Which means your job could be cancelled with no notice.

Advice to Management

Better business plans.

10. "Contract at Rock Island Arsenal"

I worked at Bowhead Family of Companies full-time

Pros

Benefits and pay were decent

Cons

Management could have been better