Bowlmor AMF Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.3
Bowlmor AMF CEO Tom Shannon
Tom Shannon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love that I get to meet new people daily while making great friends with the regulars in a fun environment (in 22 reviews)

• Working for this company was awesome, great work environment and pays very well (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of direction from upper management (in 15 reviews)

• No work- life balance program for employees (in 8 reviews)

1. "Event Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Event Sales Representative in Green Brook, NJ
    Current Employee - Event Sales Representative in Green Brook, NJ

Pros

Great company to work for; Upbeat and organized firm! If you like interacting with a variety of clientele, selling FUN, and bowing, of course, Bowlmor AMF is the place for you!

Cons

There are no cons of working at Bowlmor AMF!

"Event host"

Current Employee - Event Host in Chelsea, NY
    Current Employee - Event Host in Chelsea, NY

I have been working at Bowlmor AMF part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have certain freedoms like your attire and party decorations and sometimes execution

Cons

Just sometimes the clients are a little extra and event host have to split tips

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Great Start Poor Finish"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in North Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in North Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Bowlmor AMF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management at the location is smart and really try their best to assist but are hampered by corporate decision making. Business is booming but repeat business is unlikely due to poor customer experiences.

Cons

The CEO of the company has curtailed their payroll so badly the establishment is left short staffed causing management to be extremely frustrated. This has result is 4 very good people leaving within the last 2 weeks. Customer complaints are soaring and even the league bowlers have noticed a difference. New rumor is a remodel for the downstairs which may result in a mass exodus of league bowling. The inability of management in the upper echelon to be forthright is causing well due concern from lifetime members of all the leagues.

Advice to Management

Let the General Manager control the payroll within the establishment and they will adjust based on their own daily volume. Communicate to your current customer base the intent of the establishment with regards to improvements that will be aimed at enhancing the customer experience and be forthright with regards to the league bowlers that have supported your establishment since the 1960's. Open the lower snack bar and let them purchase sodas from that location. The KIOSKS do not work with regards to sodas because we get the food way before the drinks?????? So much for the personal touch :(.

"Sleazy and Terrible"

I worked at Bowlmor AMF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to bowl for free once in a while, if you're into that.

Cons

Where to begin? This company is riddled with problems like terrible management, toxic work environment, and pathetic pay. Not to mention the company's sexist and racist practices, which they were sued for in the past (look it up).

If that's not enough to scare you away, then the never-ending backstabbing and brown-nosing nature of your fellow co-workers will. Corporate culture is non-existent, except for the usual old men hounding on young attractive female employees and making them feel uncomfortable.

This place was the most unprofessional, blatantly racist, sleazy company I ever had the misfortune to work for. Avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and become notorious for being a horrible place to work, you're doing great.

"Don't let the nightlife ambience fool you"

Former Employee - Food Runner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Food Runner in New York, NY

I worked at Bowlmor AMF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work in a lifestyle that promotes bringing happiness to adults and children.

Cons

Upper management takes their employees for granted. Management doesn't find ways to help their employees succeed. They'll rather just fire those people off instead of help the situation at hand.

6. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brookhaven, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brookhaven, NY

I have been working at Bowlmor AMF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$1 games of bowling, free food (only for management), free drinks (woohoo...).

In all honesty though the bowlers make you happy to show up, and the older employees, if your location has any, are like family.

Cons

I honestly don't know where to start, upper management wants a bonus, it seems like all they care about.

Because of that center managers are left with old, crumbling centers, knives over a decade old, and in some cases equipment that is held together with zip toes and duck tape. Centers are told they cannot order parts until next period even when several refrigerators go out, or bowling machines go down. Leaving center management to deal with disgruntled employees who have to constantly walk to the walk in for every little thing they need driving up cook times and leading to angry customers. Or angry league bowlers making comments about lanes breaking down in some cases 10 times in just 3 games because orders for mew parts were denied by area management.

Management is also constantly pushed to make more money with bonus incentives, but with crumbling centers some with parking lots so bad you need an SUV to traverse them managers are faced with fewer and fewer league bowlers year to year, and nothing to offer open bowlers to show up.

The system in place has all but destroyed parties, the cheap look of them, mostly due to denied attempts at modernization, and the high turnover caused by a confusing pay scale and a system that all but makes raises impossible to give out has lead to terrible reviews and fee return customers.

The company is pushing a move to larger highly modern centers, but is advertising for these centers in the very towns where older centers are struggling to survive. This means the company is screwing the managers they are pressuring to work longer hours and to even do extra work on committees or be a "champion" for free. It is obvious the intention is to soon close half of the centers in the company once the word is put about the new more modern locations. I feel no job security, despite being a high performing manager as a result.

Advice to Management

I came into the company hoping to move up, but there is no system in place that lets high performing employees to get recognized or stand out in any way.

The way things are unless you become busy busy with your boss or your boss' boss there is no hope of getting a promotion. Because of this many of the people on upper management are lesser educated and lower performers than the people they managed. I worked at a center where a person seeking an MBA with 2 years of experience in general management and the respect of the whole staff quit because when a management position opened up the company hired a 21 year old kid with no relevant experience instead of even talking to him about it.

The entire place is a popularity contest where favoritism decides everything from promotions to who gets in trouble. Management covers up theft and even in one case I am intimately aware off full blown sexual harassment when they like the person responsible, but a good employee that does things right can expect to get written up if they forget to out a drink they get for free anyway through the POS system first. This is not okay!

I would also like to actually have the tools to do my job instead of having orders to distributors for such necessities as cutting boards, machine parts, trash cans, and light bulbs constantly denied because we need to beat prior year.

7. "Kitchen Manager"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Green Brook, NJ
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Green Brook, NJ

I have been working at Bowlmor AMF full-time

Pros

I have the opportunity to train and lead a great staff, I appreciate them and they appreciate me.
    Within limits I can be creative and surprise guests with exceptional food, not just pedestrian bowling alley fair.

Cons

We are very busy in the winter and holidays, winter flies by next thing you know it's spring.

Advice to Management

Listen and lead by example.

8. "Not an office job!!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dunellen, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dunellen, NJ

I have been working at Bowlmor AMF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fun environment, great food program, great staff with awesome personalities, plenty of growth opportunities for both hourly and management (promote within first before looking for outside talent), each venue is unique based on branding.

Cons

holidays and weekends are must which is hard when balancing work and family, benefit packages aren't that great, vacation time is only for management and is hard to accumulate, late nights constantly.

Advice to Management

keep up with promoting within and recognizing talent when you see it as well as shouting out to staff that are going above and beyond for guests. keep communication open for suggestions and concerns.

9. "Great place to be a cook!"

Current Employee - Cook in Green Brook, NJ
    Current Employee - Cook in Green Brook, NJ

I have been working at Bowlmor AMF part-time

Pros

Bowlmor is not a typical bowling alley! The menu is exciting, not just chicken tenders and onion rings. We have a regular retail menu, but with exciting options like a 2 foot hot dog and pizza cupcakes. On top of this, we have a special catering menu for events that includes higher end food in large portions. Love working here, favorite job in my 8 years experience working in a kitchen. Managers are great

Cons

Long hours, but cant complain about a bigger paycheck

Advice to Management

Invest in employees! They will work their best for you if you work for them!

"RUN from this group of narcissists"

I worked at Bowlmor AMF full-time

Pros

Few if any - atmosphere, team I worked with

Cons

Women earn less than male counterparts. Check it. No 401 K match because the CEO & CFO want all the money themselves. Buy more luxury cars and line your pockets folks. They make it where they are the only 1s who make money. Try paying people bonuses on time too. Ooooh & CEO chases after girls who work there.

Advice to Management

Try getting your priorities straight. So much favoritism it is awful to be someone not in on the clique. All of this will disappear at some point & then all you'll have is yourself to look at and God help you then. So much of the company save the clique are looking for other work. I know I am interviewing some top talent now...