Box "401k match" Reviews | Glassdoor

Box Employee Reviews about "401k match"

Updated Jan 27, 2020

3.9
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie
Pros
  • "Great culture, great learning opportunity(in 41 reviews)

• "Free food *if* you work in Redwood city(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no 401k match and honestly Box can do better with making an initiative to do that(in 22 reviews)

• "(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "401k match"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company"

Current Employee - OBR

I have been working at Box full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, managers who care about your future and work life balance

Cons

No 401k match is the only con

Box2020-01-02

"brings out the worst in people"

Current Employee - Sales in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Box full-time for more than a year

Pros

if you are underrepresented person of color, female or openly LGBTQ then you r in a place that will respect you. and Box has a good security story that big security minded companies need. box has a big name that looks good on a resume. HQ close to train in redwood city. easy commute

Cons

if you are not any of the above or you older or right-leaning conservative, then stay away. OneDrive, Sharepoint and Google Drive are destroying opportunities. security nearly as good as box now. not much of a diff story to tell. def in survival mode. no 401k match. stock plan stinks. revolving door. the king doesn't know whats happening out in the village...or doesnt care.

Box2020-01-27
  3. "Box is a fantastic company - honestly a great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time for more than a year

Pros

- There is opportunity for growth here and I think leadership is doing their utmost best to align strong strategies (as a Box employee and reading some of these other reviews, some people seem to be on the far extremes - yikes!) - Perks and benefits - Work life balance - Managers are great leaders - cares about employees and well-being - Partnerships across orgs are good

Cons

- Of course 401k match - There are times where things aren't 100% transparent (mainly during planning periods) which I think is honestly common in any company

Box2019-10-25

"Run Far Away recent restructure"

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

Your colleagues are some of the best to work around with and in some locations e.g. HQ you get catered food but you still get lunches in New York and Austin just not as good. Also, LearnFest and initiatives in your Local Office like Impact Day is always fun.

Cons

The main issue is in particular with this role is the recent restructure and the new management who took over. If you are thinking about applying for this particular role, think again. Expect to not be paid at a competitive salary level. One of the pain points we had in general with this level is that our contracts were negotiated so overtime was a consistent venue where we could earn extra money to make up for the continued expensive living in Austin especially. If you are going to take that away to make room for headcount then invest in all your employees and uplevel everyone’s base salary pay for those who signed on with this. The other issue is micromanagement. Oh yes this is an issue that has just begun. If you do happen to do overtime and you are hourly, then expect to put the reasoning on your time sheet and at times get singled out by management to go over it in detail. This can be for anything and I know multiple people have expressed discontent over this and people are quitting over this built on top of everything. We used to get lab days which were days you can go learn from different departments that was taken away too. We have expressed this to management and our People Partner multiple times and the diversity director. I think people are aware. But from what I know and what was expressed to me from my colleagues was that no action was done and our People Partner agreed with this direction. What was said is never followed through for example I was told as long as we clarified our time sheets it would be all good then why are my colleagues and I still being singled out for one/ones regarding this if that truly was the case. Morale is at an all time low and the only redeeming quality are the people you work around. The other sad fact is if you are interested in growing more technical or a certain area in support don’t expect to be placed there immediately or there at all. People are dropping like flies and if they are not dropping overly stressed and burning out from this which is so ironic since the 40 hour cap was not supposed to cause this but it is. Anyways, expect to remain stagnant and if you do get to move to a sub area consider yourself lucky because some of the tenured individuals have not and been passed over a few times and despite working diligently hard are never recognized. This is really toxic right now and if you are a new graduate although Box is a top company and outside of Support it may be better I would not recommend applying for this particular role at this moment. You are better off going to a smaller company and getting a good foot there. People are quitting before their year mark in. The other lack of thing in Box is the 401k. There is no 401k match and honestly Box can do better with making an initiative to do that.

Box2019-10-12

"So you want to be a PM at Box? Please read."

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Box full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll learn a ton and have so much scope - scope that you're probably going to be scared to take on, and no one will fight you for it. When I first joined, this was my dream! Read: Big Tech PMs and MBA grads, this could be an interesting opportunity for you. Some other benefits include Caltrain commuter benefits (Box is located in downtown Redwood City right above the train), and like most tech companies we have snacks and an in-building cafeteria and coffee bar.

Cons

Product strategy is clear, but questionable. The way that products are shipped at Box always involves at least 3-4 scrum teams to ship 1 thing so naturally, shipping takes a long, long time, if it happens at all. Urgent customer requests come in constantly at a rate that the teams are unable to ship. PMs have a lot of scope, but very limited impact, so unsurprisingly, the PM org goes through a lot of burn out and churn. PMs are then expected to fill in the gaps, which are massive due to limited to no resourcing across design, user research, and analytics. There's an overall sense of nepotism at the leadership level and leadership continuously hires more Director-level PMs to do IC work, because there aren't enough PMs to do all the work. And to boot, no 401k matching, compensation is lukewarm, no bonuses for PMs under Director level, and no stock refresh until your 2nd year.

Box2019-09-06

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Box full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good product, culture, and people (mostly).

Cons

Still primarily a file sharing/storage company, market has caught up and competition is strong. Disconnect between leadership and on the ground teams. No 401k match.

Box2019-07-30

"CSM"

I have been working at Box

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, benefits, company values and people. Focus on Customer POV and needs

Cons

No 401k match. In a transition period currently

Box2019-03-26

"Great low stress environment, disorganization in some (not all) orgs"

Software Engineer

I have been working at Box

Pros

- great work/life balance - free food, flexible hours - unlimited vacation (can be pro or con depending on your manager) - solid vision, company will grow - friendly people, great culture - very competitive pay - least stressful job I've read

Cons

- company is becoming more corporatey - no 401k matching - different organizations vary greatly. Some are run super well, have no politics, GSD. Others are super disorganized. - bar for hiring engineers has been dropping. - sales and product have a lot of politics, engineering it varies but much less so - lots of tech debt, will take years to overcome at current rate

Box2019-02-27

"Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Box full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong autonomy, work/life balance and opportunities for career progression. Most of all, coworkers care about you on a personal level and want to help you succeed.

Cons

Few and far between. The lack of 401k match is a common complaint but Box offers many other perks like aggressive employee stock purchase program, lunch stipend, etc.

Box2018-12-17

"Pretty great but a lot of room to improve"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

-The people hands down. I have really enjoyed being here and have a learned a lot from some really kind, smart and humble people. -The perks are always nice, especially lunch as the kitchen staff is amazing. -There's some transparency but I've noticed it start to slip away a lot more as Box has grown. -A lot of opportunity for side projects and cross functionality, but mainly driven by you. - I think a lot of work life balance depends on the team you're on but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people pulling crazy hours a lot.

Cons

-There are a lot of people who have been at Box for a while and have become managers because of tenure, not experience, which makes for a lot of disjointed management as people are "Figuring it out" and given a lot of faith to do well without help even though they're newer managers. -Top heavy company, not a lot of roles for younger people to start out in. -A lot of experienced managers leaving lately. -People team is a mess even with a new CPO, she doesn't seem to care to spend time with her teams that need direction and her focus seems mainly on exec. - Also, 401K match ya'll, get with it!

Box2018-10-26

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 22 reviews