Box Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Pros
  • Flexible schedules, high salaries, unlimited vacation, free food and shuttles (in 23 reviews)

• I may miss out on the awesome lunches at HQ, but I make up for it in work / life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• in "adolescent" period in the corporate sense, still having a few growing pains (in 12 reviews)

1. "Top marks for Box"

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A creative, inspiring company, Box is a place where you can do your best work. Employees are encouraged to take big risks, celebrate and learn from failure and have great pride in their work. Since all employees are share holders, there is a sense of ownership which permeates throughout the organisation - top to bottom.

The culture is genuine and fun - and not *enforced fun* that you often see at large organisations. The executive leaders are authentic, approachable and motivating. You can book time with literally anyone in the organisation and your voice is heard.

Since it's a meritocracy, the best ideas float to the surface regardless of position or time served at Box. And because the leadership team is accessible, it's easy to get your good idea on the roadmap.

The roll-out of the DACI model for making decisions means it's obvious who has the final say; regular hackathons encourage innovation from all areas of the business; and the weekly all-hands tells employees where we are against plan. And thanks to OKRs (KPI measurement tool), it's clear what everyone is working on and what the priorities for the quarter are across the org.

All of these good practices make Box a great place to work. And given where the Cloud Content Management market is heading, Box has set itself up very well to hire and retain the best talent to capture a decent part of the market in Europe.

Cons

Working in a remote office takes longer to get decisions given the time-zone conflicts. And it's easy to fall out the loop with core HQ teams.

Advice to Management

Keep the authentic, open culture (and free lunches!)

2. "A job I'll never forget..."

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic product
    - Work hard play hard culture
    - Great benefits with free food
    - Tight team
    - Be prepared to work hard and prove yourself all the time

Cons

- Re-org's and changes
    - US need to loosen grip on EMEA
    - Can be a little competitive in a negative way

Advice to Management

Awesome company, loved working there. Focus on growth and keep investing in the product as I bring it with me to other orgs ;)

3. "Amazing people and culture"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to fail and learn from mistakes. Freedom to be creative. Good company culture that allows customers to be part of the experience rather than just an invoice. You get to travel (role depending, of course) and the benefits are great - gym, private healthcare, pension, free lunch.

Cons

Hard to pick any but there were structure and line reporting issues that sometimes made decisions appear foggy and off the cuff.

Advice to Management

Keep the people at the heartbeat of the organization

"Good Company - Weak Middle Management"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Box is a great Product with significant potential. The company invests significant effort in the company culture and to maintain the "Startup" attitude. With Aaron Levie and Dan Levin you will find diametral opposing characters as Top leaders which are very impressive. Overall it is a great company to work for.

Cons

Processes are sometimes even more complicated as in companies like IBM. There is significant management fluctuation, which has a major impact on the culture.

"Musical chairs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Box (More than a year)

Pros

The product when it works.
    Looks good on the CV when looking for other jobs
    Free food and snacks (not sure this will last forever)

Cons

Atmosphere:

You could see the clear decline in morale and general feel of the office since the IPO back in Jan 2015. Yes, we are a public company, we need to be great and achieve greatness...but at what costs?
    Some employees lived it well, doing their awesome job like always. Some are useless obnoxious pretentious childish slackers without substance colliding together to make the employees who actually deliver miserable.
    During 1-1 or team meetings, company surveys, whenever you would have this type of feedback (“Lot of things are going on, this is how we could fix it”, "my manager does not want to listen about what is really happening" or worst, "my manager is reading the news and chatting all day being no help", "there is one employee who is definitely playing all of you when not coming into work”, etc…), no reaction. At all. Even better, managers do not have your back, they will take sides with the slackers.
    There are way too many middle managers who seem to get off micro managing, dare I say, tiny dictators.

Then 15+ employees were fired in February 2016 (the wrong ones for 70% of them). They all woke up one morning, as usual, going to work and see their friends/colleagues. All of them were invited into an impromptu meeting early in the morning to be told they were fired then escorted out of the building. And yes, all their belongings stayed in the office, they had to book appointments to take them back. That was a nice touch.
    After this, all of us "safe employees" attended an All Hands meeting for an update. Summary: you are safe now, it was a tough decision, do good work now, you might be next.

Internal mobility:

This is a fun one. Internal mobility is praised across all offices, you need to find out your next move. What's your next move blah blah because INTERNAL MOBILITY. Word of advice, be ready to kiss butt (literally and figuratively) and remove any inch of principles/values/conscience you may have. It will never be based on merit, forget that (who rewards employees doing hard work, integrating well, causing no fuss and showing signs of maturity and leadership nowadays anyway?)

It will be based on how much butt kissing you have done, that's all, you do not need experience.

Hiring:

Quality of hiring is hit or miss.
    Amazing employees were hired, I consider them my friends and it is a blast to work with them and learn from them.
    Useless employees were hired by useless managers.
    The amazing employees stay a little bit over a year then leave as soon as they can.
    The useless employees stay and thrive together.

Overall:

I have seen high performing colleagues who became my friends, leave one by one since I started working at Box. They are happy now as they do not have to deal with this nonsense anymore. I also know most of the remaining ones are either thinking about leaving in the coming months or already actively interviewing at other companies.

Myself, I'm still here, taking my time to find a better position elsewhere and not leave for the sake of leaving even if most days, I wake up and just tell myself to quit on the spot, it will be fine.

General consensus is dealing with childish, rude, unprofessional, inexperienced micro managers is not what we want in life so we are finding solutions on our own since upper management does not care. We have all been screwed at one point since we joined.

Thanks for the “start-up” experience Box, we'll try to be valued somewhere else, good luck with your future endeavours.

Advice to Management

You have been duped by all the inexperienced middle managers you hired or promoted and will never learn from your mistakes.

Internal growth is important, I would never deny that, but promoting the worst kind of people (no leadership skills, no management skills, no experience, 0 empathy) is not the right answer. When you give them power somewhat, it gets to their head the wrong way…their hobby will be alienating their direct reports.

With all the high performers leaving, you will be left with a pool of slackers.

You need to choose, do you want to be a ruthless business not caring about your employees or the opposite? Please please please market it better so people know what they are in for before interviewing.

"A crashing business"

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, good people, nice office, good working from home and flexible working if you need it. product is very good and customers do love it when we can actually sell it to them, us trips for SKOs (although I imagine those will be cut soon)

Cons

The business is crashing and people are being let go in every team because there is no money to pay the salaries

a bunch of people on the leadership team are out of touch and growing more and more corporate as they hire people who don't care about people in the team and don't get the product. some people on the leadership team don't even know how to use google calendar but their working in a tech company!!!!.

selling this idea of a start up in recruitment processes and interviews and but thats a lie now and i doubt wed even be hiring anyone this year anyway most of the team are looking for new jobs and its sad to see a good place die

Advice to Management

good luck keeping your teams with the way people have been made redundant everywhere no one wants to stay and watch that happen to them

8. "Best year of my life (professionally)"

Former Employee - Business Operations in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Operations in London, England (UK)

I worked at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great product, vision, CEO
    - perks! Free food, cheap gym, pension, health, etc
    - the people are so incredible (true team work)
    - international projects with broad scope
    - pretty low level heirachy

Cons

- chaotic at points, and projects can be quickly dropped due to time/changes
    - in "adolescent" period in the corporate sense, still having a few growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep culture and values strongly at the centre of what you do.

"Great product, people - poor management"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is very strong with a large market opportunity, we have some excellent people in the European organisation. Culture is OK but not the strength senior management would like it to be.

Cons

E-Staff is general weak with little leadership evident which is not the same as at previous companies where exec leadership was visible, vocal and in touch with market and ran the business day to day.
    EMEA leadership is also pretty poor and not visible day to day with the exceptions of leaders of commercial and channel who try to make up for overall issues.

Advice to Management

To E-Staff - run the business as a business and not a play thing, remove weak SVP's
    To EMEA - be visible in the business and increase the rewards for performance.

10. "Really great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    fun team events
    great place to learn and develop
    we get fed !!!!! so cool
    solid benefits package
    amazing work life balance / personal time management

Cons

small teams so hard to progress upwards
    centralised decisions from HQ can be frustrating

Advice to Management

be more present at team events
    update us more on strategy

"Used to be better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Box (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation
    Good benefits
    Good office (getting overcrowded though)

Cons

Lost its charm completely, talking about the London office.

Unless you are close friend with, a boyfriend/girlfriend of, family or get extremely drunk at some point with the management team, no chance for you to develop, get constructive feedback or get promoted.

Basically, nepotism at its highest.

Of course, it does not matter if you perform, the opposite. If you are a high performer, you don't overdo it at parties, or dare to overachieve, you will be turned down. What will matter is if you drink enough and who you are chum with.

People come and go, because yes, good compensation and benefits but witnessing this "let's bring up even more middle managers to complicate process" disappointed many. Do note they will not care if you are unhappy about the situation, better to replace with nodding drones.

When groups are formed and you happen to not be someone's BFF, the managers will practically ignore you or worse without context or facts, their friends' words are the wisest.

If you want to join this office, just remember your high school days and if you feel like reliving them, you will be fine.

Advice to Management

Stop enabling these behaviours, everybody knows, it is starting to be embarrassing.