Box Reviews in Los Altos, CA | Glassdoor

4.2
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedules, high salaries, unlimited vacation, free food and shuttles (in 24 reviews)

• I may miss out on the awesome lunches at HQ, but I make up for it in work / life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• in "adolescent" period in the corporate sense, still having a few growing pains (in 12 reviews)

"Great culture, always improving"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Altos, CA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Altos, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Box's company culture and top leadership is fantastic. They're very forward thinking and aren't afraid to take big bets.

They're C-level leadership is fantastic and are humble, excited leaders. Individual contributors at the company are very hard working and fun people. Lots of work friendships!

Cons

VP and middle management has had some challenges. Many of these employees come from existing enterprise companies (generally legacy) and tend to have a "well at my last company we did it this way" mentality which is dangerous to growth.

Box is doing it's best to mitigate this.

Advice to Management

Hire VPs carefully. Marketing and sales leaders from older legacy companies have experience but need to be open to new ways of doing things.

2. "Great culture, good opportunities, but getting big"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Altos, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Altos, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Community oriented
    Opportunity to try new things and different projects
    Recruiting is an amazing, bonded team
    Empathetic executives

Cons

Constant uncertainty if we can beat the Microsoft giant
    Getting really big, losing some of the intimate, tight-knit culture
    Too much process as we get bigger

Advice to Management

Find as many oppties as possible to encourage community and people to get to know each other like the old days

"Amazing executive team and future vision"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strengths include internal mobility, flat management structure, access to senior leadership and incredible product vision.

Cons

Weaknesses include not always holding employees fully accountable for their responsibility. Box needs to build a better culture of candor and constructive feedback.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of confusion around compensation. Specifically, there is a perception that comp is not as competitive as Box's peers, and that raises/promotions are generally awarded to the "squeaky wheel" instead of those who have earned them. I'm not entirely sure this is true but still something that should be addressed.

"Box is the place to be..."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Altos, CA

Pros

Extremely positive environment - Everyone helps each other
    Comp Plan and Benefits are some of the best in the industry
    Strong Leadership from Top Executive (Aaron Levie) to First Line Managers, Box hires the best people out there
    Great technology and vision

Cons

Market is very good, but some prospects are lagging when it comes to Cloud implementations
    Box is a WIP on distinguishing itself out of the EFSS market - the software, messaging are there but customers/prospects still think of Box as EFSS

Advice to Management

Keep on the current path. Slow growth in 2016 and become profitable

"Great company, great training for sales, great opportunity for success!"

Current Employee - Account Executive for Higher Education in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive for Higher Education in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for Box for 2 1/2 years now, and couldn't be happier with my decision to come work here. At the time, I was looking at Salesforce, Google, and several other tech companies, but Box stood out from the beginning because of the culture, training, and opportunity for success. They hired me as an Outbound Business Representative and they offered me a 2-week training course right off the bat, which quickly got me acclimated to the solution and how to sell it. Furthermore, they offer on-going training that allows you to stay up to date with what's new with Box, and consistent email communication as well.

Soon enough, I was promoted to more of a direct sales role on a vertical team, Inside Sales Representative for Higher Education, where again, I was coached and mentored very closely. After a year in that role, I was promoted again to Account Executive for Higher Education.

Overall, Box has trained, challenged, and rewarded me for my hard work, which is something I love to see in a company. I believe in the culture, the solution, and the future roadmap, and can't wait to move to Redwood City, where I'm sure they will continue to keep us Boxers happy.

Cons

As a public company, Box has changed quite a bit since I started. There was a period of attrition, which affected the culture a lot, but this has since then evened out and the people who stayed are very happy they did.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Sr Field Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Field Marketing Manager in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Field Marketing Manager in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

Marketing organization is a cluster and has been a revolving door for the past 1-2 years.

Advice to Management

Revamp the leadership team in Marketing.

"Box is the best workplace on the planet."

Former Employee - Associate Implementation Consultant in Los Altos, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Implementation Consultant in Los Altos, CA

Pros

Box is the best place in the valley to work right now - they offer incredible learnign opportunities and the ability to find your strengths. The company is extremely open and all the execs are extremely accessible. It is a very fast paced, "GSD" type of environment so you much be comfortable with ambiguity.

Cons

Box obviously plays in a very competitive environment. They are constantly having to cut their teeth to beat out competitors such as Microsoft, Google or even Dropbox.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. Box's culture of openness, mentorship and curiousity will serve it well as you become the next generation cloud collaboration software. Can't wait to see what the team does next!

"weak engineering leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation, flexible work schedule, exciting projects, bright, cooperative engineers.

Cons

Over the last few years Box has successfully brought in some very strong people with vast technical/leadership experience. These were a head above existing middle managers. Respect for leadership dwindled, and upper management reacted by promoting the managers who have lost backing of their more senior reports up the corporate ladder, away from dealing with actual project and developers where they are doing even more damage.

Advice to Management

Ask underperforming middle management to step down no matter how long they work at Box and whom they are friends with. Put people with leadership experience in > 1 place in charge.

"Need An Overhaul of Leadership Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working arrangement...WFH and working remotely is widely accepted, fully stocked breakrooms, catered lunches, some smart people at the company who are really good at what they do.

Cons

Lack of overall vision, constantly changing priorities, lack of prioritization, lack of real leadership. Company was built on infrastructure that isn't scalable and now they're paying for it. They need to rip it apart and rebuild, otherwise they won't be able to get anywhere. too much politics and not enough collaboration.

Advice to Management

trust in your teams, make some hard decisions on letting leaders go who aren't meeting their goals.

10. "What a ride !"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super smart, super energetic co-workers. Hard problems to solve.

Cons

Too many projects that need attention - must try to ignore some things in order to focus.