Box Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule & emphasis on Work/Life balance; anyone can have an impact on the company (in 15 reviews)

• Great culture and the pay is great (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some growing pains, but luckily culture has not been sacrificed (in 13 reviews)

• Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

"Box.net: fast-growing start-up with great people, perks & product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Top reason to work at Box.net: awesome employees. The Box crew is a smart, passionate, slightly nerdy bunch - a good mix of motivated young employees and experienced executives from top tech companies in the Valley. Senior leadership is accessible, and all employees are very committed to making Box.net the top product in it's category. There are also lots of perks, like free daily lunches, including a Friday all-hands "family" lunch, and great benefits. The office is also cool - a three-story New Orleans manor-style building with lots of open spaces, including a big kitchen and rec room with a pool table.

Cons

The commute from the city (San Francisco) can be rather arduous, so a lot of employees live locally. Also, if you're not self-motivated, Box.net probably won't be a good fit as there's very little micro-managing - employees are given a lot of free reign and independence, but are expected to deliver!

Advice to Management

With so many new employees joining weekly, it would be good to have an official round-up of sorts via email in addition to announcements at Friday lunches. As the company grows in size, it will be important to retain a sense of community.

"Box.net is a great place to start and develop your career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

-Management really cares about employee input and feedback.
    -Great company culture and perks, such as casual dress, free lunches.
    -Young company so the roles and leadership opportunities are still developing

Cons

-Pay somewhat below industry average, based on similar roles in other companies
    -Benefits like 401K (matching) and PTO could be better but it's a start-up

Advice to Management

Continue to seek employee feedback and ideas; it is very much appreciated and will keep the atmosphere open and collaborative.

"A fun, exciting startup where you can make a real impact for the company and your career"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

First and foremost, Box.net is operating in one of the most exciting, high-growth technology spaces in cloud computing/software-as-a-service. So, not only is it make a difference on the actual work you do, but knowing you're working in an exciting sector is personally satisfying. Box.net also has an excellent management team, driven by the original vision of our co-founders and experienced managers that have achieved success at other great companies like Google, Apple, WebEx, Yahoo, LinkedIn and others. The culture encourages people at all levels from every department to make an impact on the entire company - that means encouraging ideas not only about the product, but how we do things as a company, even down to simple, daily quality-of-life issues. As a growing startup, people naturally get to wear different hats and often pick projects that are interesting to them. On the same note, even has a growing startup, there are nice perks like free lunches and subsidized parking/transportation expenses, which is great for people that drive in from far away or take Caltrain. And last, but not least, there's a close-knit family atmosphere here. People here are smart, love to have fun and take a lot of pride in what they do and how the company does. It's great to be able to come in and enjoy working with all your colleagues.

Cons

Since Box.net is a startup, there are still some perks it still doesn't have yet, like matching on 401K contributions - it's not unlike other growing startups, but I expect that it's something the company should be able to offer in the not-so-distant future.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, I think it's important for everyone to conscientiously maintain the fun environment and culture that makes Box such an enjoyable - and in many ways, a unique place to work.

"Early employee, still love my job"

Current Employee - Vice President in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Superior technology company, strong reputation, well-funded by top VCs, huge opportunity.

Cons

As an early stage company, there is a lot to tackle, and often there are competing and shifting priorities. There is no shortage of opportunities and things to do...

Advice to Management

Keep on growing and advancing the team. Box has done a great job of keeping the culture intact as we have scaled.

"Best place to start a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I joined Box.net right after graduate school, and it's been an amazing experience for the past ~2 years. This is a place where there's too much to do, so I never got bored. It can be chaotic, but in the process I have the opportunity to be involved in many product launches in a small period of time - more than I saw at any company where I interned. There's also plenty of support from everyone at the company, who share a high level of enthusiasm, motivation, and love of the work.

It's really a challenge, the work is diverse, and the team is diverse. The founders are very young but brilliant, and brought on more experienced talent as the company grew - so you see a variety of different personalities that work together.

Then there's the benefits - I work hard, but the company makes it up through a flexible schedule. They also provided extra perks comparable to those of larger companies.

Cons

There's the standard challenges of a startup - having too much to do with the resources you have, and dealing with constant change (most recently from the sudden growth in the company's size). I wouldn't actually consider this a bad thing, just uncomfortable at times, but great for experience.

Advice to Management

Just keep up the enthusiasm, and don't lose momentum while the company keeps expanding.

"Box.net has the best people in Silicon Valley"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Box.net has some of the most intelligent, motivated, fun people with whom I have ever had the pleasure of working. They are all reliable and helpful, and everyone is focused on making sure I am doing work that interests me.

Cons

Box is a startup, which means that hours can be long and sometimes I have to come in on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep adding perks - we love those! Also, make sure to keep giving information on how the company is doing; it always makes me feel like what I'm doing matters.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Awesome team
    Everyone has fair share of work
    Growing startup with great future and opportunities

Cons

Sometimes immature, could use more gorwing up
    Salary compensation/ benefits could be higher

Advice to Management

You rock, don't change at all

"Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Box has an incredibly open, fun culture. People enjoy coming into work every day and you can feel the energy in the building when you walk in. The people are motivated and the company is growing quickly so everyone is continually taking on new responsibilities and learning new things.

Cons

Sometimes things get pretty hectic because there are so many different things going on. Everyone is learning on the job and there aren't as many formal mentor-mentee relationships as I might like.

Advice to Management

I think the management is doing a great job building a fun place to work and making sure that all employees feel valued at Box. Keep up the good work!

"Awesome workplace!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Free food, fun culture, and people are super smart and do work hard! Company is growing fast!

Cons

Hours could be long, but everyone seems to be happy to stay late.

"Box.net is a fantastic place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Brilliant people, energetic environment, hyper growth

Cons

my commute is a bit long

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing!