Box Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedules, high salaries, unlimited vacation, free food and shuttles (in 24 reviews)

• I may miss out on the awesome lunches at HQ, but I make up for it in work / life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• in "adolescent" period in the corporate sense, still having a few growing pains (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, competitive pay, fast paced environment with solid leadership that is open to listening to employees to improve work experience. Everyone from CEO on down are willing to get involved in your deals to ensure you're successful. Truly a great place to work.

Cons

We are still growing at a rapid pace which brings its own set of challenges but compared to working at a large company, this is a far better experience. Some of the promotion paths are strict-- meaning reps need to be promoted to specific roles first before moving on to the next even when they are more qualified than outside candidates for open position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, stay focused on maintaining our culture as we continue to grow. Adjust quotas based off of territory not a standard quota for every rep on the team.

2. "Customer Success"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CEO and Sr. Management seem to care about culture.

Cons

Lack of centralized goals. Major issue with siloed departments which is leading to animosity and frustration between teams, esp in CS and Sales.

Advice to Management

Good at asking for feedback but the lack of follow up and action taken from it is frustrating.

3. "Would like A Private Duty Job"

Current Employee - Private Duty Caregiver in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Private Duty Caregiver in Corpus Christi, TX

Pros

Would like too have a experience working with you guys

Cons

Like too work for different companies .And experiment new environment

4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - CSM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - CSM in New York, NY

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun company to work for with great benefits

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

5. "Unreal"

Current Employee - Outbound Business Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Outbound Business Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, unreal perks, leadership, coworkers, work-life-balance, office location is dead in the middle of downtown Austin with a full balcony on the 24th floor— unreal views.

Cons

High expectations (Not really a con, just a reality from any growing company)

Advice to Management

Keep selection process rigorous, try to hire within from those who work up the ranks and understand Box use cases.

6. "Awesome company, awesome experience"

Former Employee - GM, Enterprise Business & Vice President, Global Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous vision for the future, very talented/smart people, great energy, happy customers, and a commitment to invest in the business.

Cons

Often too many priorities, making it difficult to do each one well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work to deliver value to both customers and shareholders!

7. "Senior Customer Success Manager"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

Excellent company culture and transparency

Cons

Limited career options in CS

8. "Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented peers and great technology. Aaron is very funny and a visionary. Company and product is light years ahead of competition.

Cons

Micromanagement by local sales management makes senior enterprise team feel like children. Many reps have more experience than the managers. Don't treat us like we are new to sales or sales process.

Advice to Management

Don't treat enterprise team like children.

9. "Great growth, opportunity is absolutely there but challenging!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great food, fantastic visibility into leadership, access to senior executives is unlike anything I've ever seen! Aaron is possibly one of the best CEOs out there, and his vision is very strong. He has almost a reality distortion field like Steve Jobs, and is brilliant! We're constantly providing upgrades to benefits, like paid time off for new families, etc. Box has an amazing metric they track: how many filled job roles for senior positions were from internal hires/transfers? That's huge in my book. The executive team goes out of their way to ensure there's full clarity on Box's mission, it's trajectory, and everything in between.

Cons

As the company grows, there's been some increases in politics here and there. It's not widespread, seems to be by org which is good. Every company will have politics - every company. Box can definitely do a better job at making it easier in some orgs (again, not all!!!) to get promoted. A few orgs have shown a decrease in merit-based recognition in favor of, well, favoritism. It's unfortunate, but to err is human right?

Advice to Management

Please keep an eye on morale, and favoritism. The latter is a time-bomb, but everything else you're doing is perfect! Box is seriously a great culture/company, and it's in huge part to you! It just has some rough edges that need more immediate attention.

"I'm happy, paid well, and have everything I need to succeed."

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Box is a "Goldilocks" company. Not too big, not too small... Just right. It's leadership and organization is nimble enough to move fast, make quick changes and always position itself ahead of the competition: Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Dropbox.

It also has the perks of a larger tech company: stability, high salaries, free food and snacks, gym and cell phone reimbursement, as well as endless trainings and professional development opportunities.

Plus: the culture is unique, one of a kind. Boxers are extremely extroverted and quirky. You have full permission to be your authentic self here.

Cons

I'm in sales. I feel that marketing isn't where it should be. We have very few inbound leads. This requires me to run full sales cycls. The competition is fierce. This is an increasingly commoditized space. However, I believe in Aaron.

Advice to Management

Please fix the marketing funnel and supply sales with more inbound leads who are bought into our cloud content management story.