Box Reviews | Glassdoor

Box Reviews

Updated February 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedules, high salaries, unlimited vacation, free food and shuttles (in 23 reviews)

• Great culture, great management and fantastic HQ (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • in "adolescent" period in the corporate sense, still having a few growing pains (in 11 reviews)

• on some teams, there is a little less room for career growth due to structure requirements (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Start Career"

Pros

high impact work; great culture; inspiring co-workers who work really hard but sustain a good work/life balance; awesome office and perks. great emphasis on internal mobility and career development

Cons

"Great culture, always improving"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Altos, CA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Altos, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Box's company culture and top leadership is fantastic. They're very forward thinking and aren't afraid to take big bets.

They're C-level leadership is fantastic and are humble, excited leaders. Individual contributors at the company are very hard working and fun people. Lots of work friendships!

Cons

VP and middle management has had some challenges. Many of these employees come from existing enterprise companies (generally legacy) and tend to have a "well at my last company we did it this way" mentality which is dangerous to growth.

Box is doing it's best to mitigate this.

Advice to Management

Hire VPs carefully. Marketing and sales leaders from older legacy companies have experience but need to be open to new ways of doing things.

3. "outbound business representative"

Pros

Box is, without a doubt, the future of enterprise content management. The energy of that reality is tangible in every employee on board. That should be enough to motivate and excite anyone who considers working there.

Make no mistake, the large deals are well on their way and everyone in every industry will be on board.

Cons

It's no longer a startup, and the corporate culture reflects that. It's not a con so much as it's a new expectation for entering employees. Fully recognize that your feedback is simply not warranted until you've been at the company for at least 1 promotion. It hurts the ego, but that's just the new normal.

Advice to Management

Respect the (sometimes painful) transition from a mission driven start up to a bottom line focused company, especially with the cross sections of employees who thrive in those separate worlds.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Flexibility, agility of the company, I came from a larger company that made it really hard to get anything done so it was exciting to be able to influence major changes

Cons

It's hard to advance, there are not clear career paths.

Advice to Management

There are really great people who want to work hard, and it's worth it to invest in them to keep them around for the long term.

"Great place to work, grow, learn!"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

Outstanding culture, very anti-hierarchical, team oriented, collaborative. Management cares deeply about development and learning.

Cons

Can be a bit frenetic at times.

Advice to Management

Focus, focus, focus.

"Sales"

I worked at Box full-time

Pros

Great technology, loyal customers, good culture

Cons

Applying Oracle and SFDC methodologies to small (should be nimble) company.

"Great culture & Experience overall, some challenges with decision making"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Box (More than a year)

Pros

Box is an amazing culture. The people are super smart, but beyond that, they really do care about each other, are exceptionally warm and friendly and absolutely committed to each others success. It's a high energy, fast paced, Get Sh*t done culture that is maturing in determining how to prioritize the goals and focus for employees to ensure everyone is linked to the mission. The CEO, Aaron Levie is energetic, passionate about business and the people and is growing greatly as a leader. Definitely an amazing company and I'm grateful to have worked here. The people are a great differentiator and make the craziness at times worth it all.

Cons

There is not always alignment around decisions and degrees of freedom in making decisions at the leadership level. There is unnecessary thrash at times in getting things done due to this misalignment on R&R's or expectations.

Advice to Management

Preserve what is great about this culture - helping Boxers succeed, get clear on how their work ties up to the big picture and gain alignment at the top.

"Lives up to the hype"

I worked at Box full-time

Pros

Great Fun Culture. Never have to leave the building, everything you need is provided. Open, Collaborative Environment.

Cons

It can be a little crowded due to growing pains so there are a lot of conference room conflicts.

Advice to Management

Try and keep the culture in tact as the company grows....maybe more cross - departmental engagement. Otherwise not much to add here

10. "Outbound Business Representative"

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Free lunch for those in office, flexibility in working from other offices, amazing & smart coworkers.

Cons

Must take personal initiative for promotions and role changes.

Advice to Management

Take time to mentor, it will go far

"Great People Bad Decisions"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started, working here was unbelievably great. My team was fun to work with. I was challenged with new and exciting projects. And I just couldn't wait to come into work every morning.

Cons

The unfortunate part is our team got a new boss. Her style was a shoot from the hip style. Although she seemed to care about people, she had huge gaps when it came to vision, strategy, people development, trust, decision making, the list goes on. Although most have and continue to stick it through, those with the true potential already left (with the exception of the one or two that make good money or are too young to know good vs great). I would have stayed longer and I did as long as I could, but ever since she got promoted to Director, it made me realize that these gaps would never get fixed. This reaffirmed the lack of leadership maturity within Techops and the value leadership places on specific manager qualities rather than a fully rounded leader.

Advice to Management

I know I'll probably be figured out and who cares since I don't work there anymore, but to TechOps leadership: why on this earth would you ever promote someone into a Director role if there are so many people under and around her unsupportive of the promotion. She isn't a Director and if you know who and how to ask the right questions, you will discover how much it demoralizes top talent within the team because it sends the wrong message on what techops values in people. Moral of the story: I left because you told me and the entire team that my manager is doing a great job on how she manages her team - ouch! Glad I'm outta there. No, I didn't share this in my exit interview, but happy to finally close this chapter.