Box Software Engineer Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule & emphasis on Work/Life balance; anyone can have an impact on the company (in 15 reviews)

• Great culture and the pay is great (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some growing pains, but luckily culture has not been sacrificed (in 13 reviews)

• Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Beyond Lit"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Box as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- A culture where interns are actually treated like full members of the team, I was asked to do things that no one on my team had figured out yet. There was no solving a problem and packaging it into an "intern project" for an intern to implement.

- Free hot lunch and dinner everyday, hot breakfast on Friday, micro-kitchens on every floor, kombucha, snacks, classic arcade style gaming rigs, scooters, basketball hoops, bike room, ping pong, smash, board games, educational workshops, and really cool intern-only events. Box is a very fun place to be.

- We have two pretty large buildings and don't use both of them, so it's unusually easy to find a quiet place to whiteboard and work for a flat office plan company

- People really care about one another, people are very willing to help you and are very open to critiques and questions about their solutions

Cons

- I worked on the platform as a service team, so deploying code was relatively quick and easy. The interns that worked on services outside of our platform had a lot of difficulty pushing their code

Advice to Management

- You guys are all incredible about taking feedback, but it seems to take a long time for many processes to really change

2. "Software Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Los Altos, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Los Altos, CA

I worked at Box as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, everyone is very friendly and eager to share their knowledge. I was treated equally as a full-time engineer. I was told on day one that I could do any work on the table, not just the intern projects. I ended up doing 2 major projects and a handful of feature developments and bug fixings here and there. I truly enjoyed this internship and learnt a lot.

Cons

No cons I can think of.

Box Response

Sep 15, 2015 – Recruiting Ops

Thank you for your review. We're glad you had a great internship experience at Box!

"Great!"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern - Sync in Los Altos, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern - Sync in Los Altos, CA

I worked at Box as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The most exciting time to be at Box: it's growing fast, gearing up for an IPO, but still small enough that the startup spirit is still there, and that you get to see the higher-level execs often. Charismatic CEO & CFO (Aaron Levie and Dylan Smith, the early founders) and COO (Dan Levin). Great collaboration between teams and across services in the company, and a lot of space to make your ideas heard.

Cons

Because it grew so fast, there is a lot of technical debt, a lot of things to fix, and, overall, a lot of work. Risk that the startup culture will gradually fade away. Food could be better, and the building is starting to feel small again.

Advice to Management

My manager was great!