Box Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Pros
  • Flexible schedules, high salaries, unlimited vacation, free food and shuttles (in 23 reviews)

• I may miss out on the awesome lunches at HQ, but I make up for it in work / life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• in "adolescent" period in the corporate sense, still having a few growing pains (in 12 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company values your work and good compensation

Cons

There is no 401k match

2. "Very good work culture"

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun to work. Nice people who care. Very open cukture. Green field project.

Cons

Post-ipo so less chance of making it big. Frugal company in a few parameters. Average food.

Advice to Management

Grant stock bonus.

3. "Amazing place to work!!"

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great work culture. Fun, open, energetic. Truly believes in work hard party harder
    - Opportunity to work with some of the best minds in the valley.
    - People are humble and ready to help you and discuss your ideas.
    - The company values diversity and truly upholds your individuality. You are encouraged to be yourself whatever that may be.
    - The company is at a juncture where you can have a lot of impact if your wanted to make your mark.
    - Aaron is one of the most energetic and fun CEO you will ever meet. He is truly involved in the day to day working of the company.

Cons

- You are expected to get stuff done. That sometimes may involve working long hours.
    - No 401k (yet)

Advice to Management

You have built an amazing work environment when intellectual individuals can truly thrive. Please continue to preserve this as the company grows.

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Software Security Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Security Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge stuff
    Amazing co workers
    Good benefits
    Good leadership
    Free food

Cons

Food could be better.. but hey its free

Advice to Management

Keep Killing IT

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

- Lots of different technologies and interesting challenges.
    - Employee happiness and career development are major priorities for the company, and it shows. Cool office, good food, good benefits, happy people.
    - We value all types of engineers - fullstack and specialists.
    - Excellent culture of trust. You can rely on your co-workers, and they know they can rely on you.

Cons

- lots of interacting pieces can create interesting challenges, but can also lead to frustrating development bottlenecks sometimes

7. "Great place for engineers"

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting technical challenges. A lot of space for career development. Flexible schedules, high salaries, unlimited vacation, free food and shuttles. The culture is great.

Cons

I actually don't see any, so it is really hard to put 20 words in this section :)

Advice to Management

Keep having the same culture and flexibility.

"Still an awesome environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I left Box for personal reasons, not because of anything wrong there, and now that I'm going through a new job search I realize what a cool place it was!

Engineering management has good leadership and works really hard for its teams health. A lot of emphasis on doing the right thing.

Tons of hard problems to solve

Cons

Engineering projects are daunting in the face of technical debt, compliance/security requirements, and disjointed direction from PMs.

"Looking Back...I Respect Box"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Box (More than a year)

Pros

Undeniably, the most funnest, positive, rewarding, and life-changing place I've ever worked at

Cons

Sometimes they focus too much on making this place the funnest place on earth that they fail to execute.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it is ok to not protect the culture and to execute on behalf of the investors. This will make it an uncomfortable place every once in a while. Although I would rather work here for the rest of my life because of the culture, the lack of execution and process is unsustainable and will lead to a company that will be known for free food and whacky employees and not its products. From what I understand, the company is growing up. If I were a competitor, I would watch out. Would love to come back and work for Box in the future. If the employees only knew what they had there, they would work even harder to succeed and ensure the longevity and viability of Box.

"Box is an awesome place to work"

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Really great place to work as a new grad. Your ideas and ability to contribute are not viewed as lesser-than just because this is your first job out of college. Plus great mentor resources and learning opportunities (since Box is a full stack product).
    - Coworkers are awesome - intelligent, friendly, helpful, nice.
    - Box really cares about and invests in its culture. Recruiters, interviewers, and hiring managers all make sure that we are hiring people who are a positive add to our atmosphere.
    - High impact work. Every project I have worked on has been meaningful to the progress of our engineering organization.
    - Great compensation and benefits.
    - Intelligent, friendly, approachable, and caring leadership. From Aaron, Dylan, and Dan to each engineer's manager, leaders throughout the company consistently display thoughtfulness, care, and the ability to listen to those they are leading.
    - You can tell that people really like coming to work every day.
    - If you tell a customer that you work for Box, their typical response is enthusiasm and to tell you all the ways that they use it at work.

Cons

- No employer contribution to 401(k) yet
    - Wall Street doesn't always reflect how we feel about the value of our product (short term problem)

11. "I absolutely love it"

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with, (and the paycheck :P). I absolutely love the people I get to work with on a daily basis, and I am constantly walking around in awe at the talent that Box has managed to amass. Everyone I talk to is impressive at what they do, and it just feels like being in college and surrounded by passionate motivated people.

Cons

Still lots of growing pains related to tech-debt and early decisions, but visible progress is definitely being made.

Advice to Management

I suppose make sure that you are *truly* pursuing transparency with some of the culture changes. One example, if you want to cut down on consistent drinking culture, say so to everyone openly, don't do it by individually 'talking to' certain people.