Boxwood Career Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Alex DeBarr

"Excellent Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

Pros

Positive atmosphere, great team, excellent work/home balance, good compensation/benefits/PTO, no micromanagement.

Cons

The only real con to working at Boxwood would be the hurdles that come along with being an expanding company spread across different states; i.e: communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Keep cultivating a good work environment

May 15, 2017 – Vice-President, Human Resources & Employee Development

Thanks very much for your comment. We continue to work on communication and information between departments. We held large "Connections" events in 2015 and 2016 where we brought together all of our ... More

"Excellent Company. Great Management & Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Boxwood-Naylor for over a year and I really enjoy the atmosphere of the office space and the positive energy created by the senior management team. With the Naylor acquisition, there has been room for advancement and opportunity created, which is great for new hires and existing employees. Management lets you do your job and take ownership of your “business”; and at the same time get the support and education you need to be successful.

I like that the company brings all of the mid- to high-level management together to facilitate connections and new ideas to grow the company. It really shows that the decision-makers in the company care what the employees think and want to understand what we come across on a daily basis.

Cons

With the merger of multiple company policies, the vacation benefits for new hires went from three+ weeks starting to two weeks starting – which can be tough mid-career and if you have young children at home.

Mar 8, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! Because we like to offer flexibility to our employees, the paid time off we offer employees includes two weeks of vacation time as well as 7 days of sick leave and ... More

3. "JPS Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company with great leaders. Company is growing tremendously! Management is great, no one is breathing down your back and absolutely no micro management which is great. They trust us to do our job and be responsible. The environment friendly with great people who make the job fun. Everyone works hard to hit goals and everyone supports each other! Great job for anyone trying to switch into sales or looking for a great opportunity. work life balance is great!

Cons

Have more company events, potlucks or picnics or team bonding exercises. Be more Boxwood spirited. Other than that it is great.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job

"Quite Possibly the Worse Place in the World to Work"

Former Employee - Won't Say in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Won't Say in Herndon, VA

I worked at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working at this company. I guess they pay you but for some people they don't even bother doing that. One consultant didn't get paid for almost a month and half. How ridiculous is that!

Cons

The President of the company will randomly engage you in topics that have nothing to do with business. I.e. if she should redecorate the kitchen. She parades her status around and parks her Mercedes where she can see it. She will bring some of the sales team to her home to fix her nasty drain, and expect them to jump everytime that she enters a room. Other upper management is hard to read and will provide you with non constructive criticism every time you work on any type of project. You could also meet any of your goals and they would not give you a raise. I worked there three years, no raise and I gained a lot of weight from the stress of working there. If you're not working 7 am - 7 pm they don't want anything to do with you.

Advice to Management

Consider quitting your jobs and doing really anything else. You're not good at management. One of the members of the management team is very intelligent and gets brought down by the minion tasks that the President provides to him.

May 19, 2015 – Vice-President, Human Resources & Employee Development

Boxwood was acquired by Naylor Association Solutions in April 2014. Since that time, under the leadership of Naylor's CEO and President, and with a combination of several of Boxwood's leadership team ... More

5. "Great company; lots of growth; excellent benefits; wonderful people"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has had excellent growth year over year (except one year of the recession and even then, it grew, just not as much) due to exceptional management, a loyal customer base, ongoing product development and enhanced support services. Benefits include generous PTO and more paid holidays than most companies, as well as 401(k), solid health care coverage and FSA. Employees are fun, smart people that really care about what they do, many of whom have worked for the company for quite a long time.

Cons

Not a lot of management hierarchy so there are fewer opportunities for promotion, but it also means most staff have direct lines to senior management. Only other downside is the occasional bad hire who decides to go on sites like this to vent their frustrations and paint an unrealistic picture of what the company is really like -- the negative comments in these reviews definitely tell you more about those individuals than they do about Boxwood.

6. "Great company with consistent growth and good leadership."

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in Herndon, VA

I worked at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quotas and goals were clear; management was available to discuss issues, provide feedback and address concerns; wasn't required to work a lot of extra hours; great holiday schedule and ample paid time off.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for advancement; sales training was good but would have liked to have had more; the CMS system was difficult to use at first, but improvements were being made when I left; there were a few bad apples in the bunch that created distractions; office park location had limited food options within walking distance.

Advice to Management

Create some kind of career plan for sales reps; have more prizes and contests instead of just yearly contests; provide more leads to support sales; continue to improve the system to make it more efficient; get more of the good associations on the sales support.

7. "A company that cares about it's employees!"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for over 3 years and it's a real family atmosphere. The base pay is fair - I'm in sales and the commission plan is great if you perform. The ones who are complaining were not likely good sales people. The PTO plan is generous staring at 3 weeks and then moves to 5 weeks after a few years. Plus they give a lot of other days off - Columbus Day, President's Day, etc… Really gives time for family or personal time. The office is bright with lots of light and a big kitchen. Someone said it was dirty. Don't get that it's a ll brand new and has an evening cleaning service that comes in. The product is a good one- and everyone really seems to care about the customer. The president does meetings a few times a year to tell us everything that is going on and then there is a team happy hour. Makes for a good environment.

Cons

It's a small company - about 75 people. So not much opportunity for advancement. But my manager says they are looking at that. Some people want flex time and the company doesn't want to do that - but personally 8:30-5:30 makes sense for me. I want to be there when I can make sales. Matching 401K would be great. They used to do it and then stopped.

Advice to Management

Go back to 401K matching. It would really make a difference to some of us. Keep the golden emails coming! More team happy hours.

"Train wreck; poor management, ignorant managers, arrogant managers"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Person in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Person in Herndon, VA

I worked at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good location; It's in Herndon

Cons

Mismanagement, blind by choice ownership, negative work environment, managing through fear, petty, favoritism, massive turnover, dirty work space

Advice to Management

fire them all from the president on down through supervisors and team leads

"Not very pleasant. Felt like I was in utter chaos."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Boxwood Career Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are very respectful, friendly and nice to work with. Facility is nice.

Cons

Small company. Upper management does not know how to talk or treat employees with respect at Herndon location. Saw several employees come and go within a very short time span. One manager cannot handle stress and has unrealistic time deadlines/restraints. Major problems with IT and with communication. Some management not knowledgeable about duties they hand off to others.

"This is a solid and respected company."

Current Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Boxwood Career Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best-in-class technology, strong developers, top notch customer service and a great team. Perks include extra holidays and a track to 5 weeks of vacation after three years of service.

Cons

Policy does not allow teleworking, the commission plans have changed and compensation is not necessarily in line with industry standard.

Advice to Management

Talented employees will find opportunities to earn more and use the company as a stepping stone.