Boy Scouts of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh
Michael Surbaugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Part time Program Instructor"

Former Employee - President in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - President in Denver, CO

I worked at Boy Scouts of America part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people who really care!

Cons

Not enough hours offered there unfortunately

Advice to Management

Stay positive

2. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Upper Management is generally fair

Cons

Some employees feel like their being micro managed

3. "Head lifeguard"

Former Employee - Head Lifeguard in Trumansburg, NY
    Former Employee - Head Lifeguard in Trumansburg, NY

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to learn what you love and then teach that to others. The amount of knowledge gained about all things aquatic is one of the most important thing I have done so far.

Cons

It is hard to get done what you need to unless you are willing to do everything related to the task. Some people won’t be willing to help but there are a few that don’t stop working. Often at the cost of supplies out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Get your employees what they need to do their job properly.

4. "Great perks!"

Former Employee - District Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - District Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The BSA is a great entry level job with the opportunity for growth. You gain a lot of customer service experience, as well as management and training experience. They do offer great benefits, and the company also offers a lot of perks.

Cons

The only thing that can be difficult is if you are assigned to be at camp during summer. This can take you away from home for weeks at a time.

5. "District Executive pays pretty good"

Current Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Boy Scouts District Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although the annual starting salary is $48k in Dallas, they also offer you a monthly car and phone allowance of $750. That means you are earning an additional $9k a year!

Cons

Bad work/personal life balance. Sometimes you will be working 12 hour days!

6. "Ranger"

Current Employee - Ranger
    Current Employee - Ranger

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lifestyle is great. People are awesome

Cons

job can be eliminated at any second. no security

7. "Great leadership experience for students"

Pros

Allowed me to use my creativity in creating a new pilot program, great leadership opportunity

Cons

Very religious, not very accepting of non religious people

8. "Director of major gifts"

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The BSA has one of the most comprehensive executive training programs in non profit. The networking and autonomous mechanics built into the careers provide a great experience and overall job satisfaction.

Cons

There is a lot of ambiguity and tight goals and deadlines. There is also a lack of cultural diversity throughout the organization. This lack of diversity ranges from the professional ranks to the program members.

Advice to Management

Hire more culturally diverse executives in more of the top roles of the organization. There needs to be a concerted effort recruit more culturally diverse local executivesearch and to recruit the same in volunteers and members.

"There is a reason over half of new District Executives leave in the first year..."

Current Employee - District Executive
    Current Employee - District Executive

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good Resume builder for other non-profit careers.
    -Volunteers are extremely passionate.

Cons

-Work-Life balance is non-existent. They will try to sell you on the flexible hours and ability to design your own schedule, what this really translates to is and expectation that you give up any personal time to work. Plan on working almost every night and weekend, and getting no comp time back in return. 70+ hour weeks are the norm. You will be expected to cancel family and personal events with very little notice to attend work functions. There is a general sense of treating employees like property.
    -Pay is atrocious. If you are working in small rural council you may be able to afford to live on your salary, not the case in any area with a higher cost of living. My starting salary was set $100 over the benchmark to qualify for food stamps and low-income housing (intentionally) in the county I worked in. They try to sell you on opportunities for advancement, regardless of performance you won't be promoted for 2.5-3 years, and not unless you move to a different council. They will specifically avoid sending you to training required for promotions to avoid having to pay a higher rate.
    -Workplace culture is toxic. Management is unengaged and tries to shift all of the work burden onto District Executives. Be prepared that you will see little reward for success but the blame for any failures (and with their archaic business model there are many) will be fully shifted onto you. Management is extremely well paid but does little work. I showed growth and success in my District for 3 years, and other than a small raise and some lip service was still routinely berated, received sub-standard reviews on goals (because we were required to set council-level goals rather than district-specific), and had to give up holidays because the council was not hitting numbers. If you're successful your reward will be covering other peoples work.
    -Survival-based promotions. Over half of new executives leave in the first year, more than 90% leave in the first three. What's left is not the cream of the crop. It's an old boys club, and any actual advancement is based more on who you know within the organization (and which shoes you've licked), than actual performance or skill. Management does not see this high turnover as an issue, I literally had a scout executive sit me down in my first week and hand me a stack of business cards of DE's who had quit with the comment "These are all the people we've hired who couldn't hack it". The problem is always the DE and never the organization itself or management.
    -Very short-sighted and reactionary business model and management structure. This ship is sinking. Membership is down nationwide and has been steadily declining. Decisions are not made based on actual data and a strategic response but on pie-in-the-sky hopes and dreams, and what someone says worked 50 years ago.
    -Very conservative culture that discourages individuality or personal expression. Any individuality is strongly discouraged. Plan on being a good corporate drone. Any form of a life outside of Scouting is discouraged. You're expected to be super Boy Scout 24/7.
    -Volunteers are great and very passionate, but there is an expectation that since you are paid and they are not you should be available to them 24/7 via phone, email, or in person.

TLDR: If you want to be treated like dirt and work extremely long hours for little pay become a District Executive.

Advice to Management

Hire people with defined roles marketing, fundraising, etc. rather than one catch all position. Value employees. Respect personal time. Reward success. Stop shifting the burden of your work responsibilities onto entry-level staff only to take credit for any success and shift responsibility for any failures.

10. "Outreach"

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Culture and a strong concept of paying forward

Cons

Training and communication between all

Advice to Management

Train