Boyd Caton Group Reviews | Glassdoor

James Caton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company"

I worked at Boyd Caton Group full-time

Pros

I was able to work completely at home.

Cons

Not much communication between management and lower level employees.

"I love my job"

Current Employee - Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Boyd Caton Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The nature of our work allows us to have a real impact on public safety. I absolutely love my boss and I really feel supported (this wasn't the case at my last job). I have gotten to travel for work -- not too frequent but good opportunities to see different parts of the country. The pay is great and the benefits are awesome. I also enjoy the energy -- many of my colleagues are in their 20s/30s and we have a very open minded and energetic work environment.

Cons

I wish our offices were downtown, closer to more restaurants an walking commerce

Advice to Management

We love the lunch and learns and would like to have regular get together outside of the office

"Trash upper management"

I worked at Boyd Caton Group full-time

Pros

Upper management is good at two things - winning contracts, and hiring good people. There is lots of work to be done, and there are lots of good people to work with. Pay is okay, they reward cooperation and playing their game. Benefits are good.

Cons

Upper management believes everyone should drink their koolaid and independent thinking is not appreciated or tolerated. Planning, organization, and clarity of management are practically non-existent. Emotional abuse and driving workers like cattle are normal. Machiavelli would love this company.

Advice to Management

Stop assuming everyone can read your mind or that anyone else cares about the same things you do, motivate people through good management practices and patient encouragement.

"Good people trying to make a difference"

I have been working at Boyd Caton Group full-time

Pros

The company seeks to be a facilitator that brings assistance to service agencies that are otherwise focused on helping the public. BCG helps the helpers. BCG employees are driven to do good, and it leads to a very friendly, team-driven work atmosphere. Nearly all employees become friends with each other outside of work.

Cons

The company has grown rapidly and this has led to growing pains in organizational structure and internal communication. An intense focus on client needs delayed a needed reorganizational effort, but positive changes are occurring constantly.

Advice to Management

Connect more frequently with employees that telecommute, and invest in more employee training to help eliminate resource bottlenecks.

Dec 9, 2016 – Associate Director of Operations

Thank you for sharing your experience. Like you, we place a high premium on the collegiality within our company, which enhances job satisfaction as well as the products and services we deliver to our... More

"Best job I've ever had, despite some organizational challenges"

I have been working at Boyd Caton Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The owners/management are kind, decent people who really care about their employees in a personal as well as a professional context
    * Company culture is highly dedicated to clients' needs, but also warm and laid back
    * Management is attentive to new ideas and proactive employees who can identify new or expanded roles
    * Decent pay, great benefits, excellent city to live in (provided you're on-site)
    * Public transit safety is the central focus of company - it's not always glamorous but working for the public good is a plus
    * Excellent work-life balance

Cons

* The company has often struggled with the organizational challenges that come with rapid growth
    * There aren't always clear paths for advancement
    * Employees are split into different contracts, which can lead to a segmented professional and social experience
    * Not a lot of structured social events

Advice to Management

Keep working towards a more effective management strategy, don't lose sight of your commitment to employees as people, and commit to a more structured approach to providing and soliciting feedback.

Nov 15, 2016 – Associate Director of Operations

Thank you for sharing your experience. Bcg is building leadership on teams and broader infrastructure as the company grows. We value the employee perspective, and we are committed to building... More

"Rapidly growing company in a great town"

I have been working at Boyd Caton Group full-time

Pros

- Fun, casual work environment
    - Excellent benefits. BCG pays the full cost of health & dental insurance and matches 401k contributions
    - Management does a great job recognizing the hard work of employees
    - Much less stressful than working at other consulting companies
    - Jim & Annabelle are very passionate about their work and they truly care about their employees
    - BCG has had very rapid growth over the last few years & I expect that to continue

Cons

Depending on your specific job, you may not have very clearly defined responsibilities. However, if you want to just show up and do the same thing every day, a consulting company might not be the right place for you.

Advice to Management

- Let employees know when they're not performing as well as expected
    - Transition to a more hierarchal structure as the company continues to grow

Dec 9, 2016 – Associate Director of Operations

Bcg is pleased to recognize the hard work of its employees, and even more pleased to know that employees find their work rewarding. We sincerely appreciate our team, and we thank you for your... More

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Great employee base - bcg employs many talented and smart people.

Passionate management team - The leaders of the company are incredibly passionate about the products and services we provide.

Amazing benefit package - The company takes care of its employees in all the major benefit categories, including salary, healthcare, and a retirement savings program. As an added bonus, bcg provides a very comfortable office space that is stocked with coffee, espresso, snacks, etc.

Growth - The company has grown rapidly over the past several years, which is a testament to the firm’s leadership and the quality of bcg’s product/service offerings.

Personal development - A large number of employees work across many projects, which provides great opportunities for personal development and growth.

Cons

The volume of work on your desk at any given point can vary based on client needs. In my experience, this is not atypical compared to most consulting firms. Keep in mind that the flat nature of the organization provides a great opportunity to get involved in a project outside of your typical responsibilities if you have any free time.

There are a few distinct programs within the company. Because of different client and project needs, these programs don’t always communicate and collaborate with each other, which is a shame. There are so many talented employees at bcg - it would be great to share information and leverage resources across programs. It is my understanding that bcg's leadership team is committed to and in the process of building a knowledge center to help streamline work sharing.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek opportunities to grow and expand the company, but try to maintain the casual, small business feel.

Dec 9, 2016 – Associate Director of Operations

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We attribute any and all success we enjoy to our talented, smart people. They make us who we are as the bcg team. We will continue to manage growth... More

"Great Place to Work, Lots of Opportunity for Growth"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Boyd Caton Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A very diverse group of men and women, especially for central Virginia.
    - The benefits package is generous.
    - The workplace atmosphere is positive and vibrant.
    - Management is approachable and open to feedback.
    - You get to work with smart, motivated people.
    - It's a small business, which means:
        1. You're never bogged down doing the same thing forever.
        2. The company organization is flat, so if you can handle working independently, you can actually do so.
        3. There is always room for more creativity and energy, and the management is enthusiastically supportive.
        4. There is no obsession with rank or title or other hollow administrative nonsense of bigger companies.
        5. The entrepreneurial atmosphere of working in a small business can't be beat.

Cons

- There was a series of re-shuffles of people and offices about a year ago, but that was more of an unfortunate series of events than a systemic problem, and it has calmed down considerably since then.
    - It's a small business, which means:
        1. Not doing the same thing every day brings uncertainty as to the contours of your job description.
        2. The company organization is flat, so if you can't handle working independently, you'll just get overwhelmed.
        3. Everyone is works closely with everyone else, so the sense of safety in numbers or the anonymity of being a face in the crowd of employees is non-existent.
        4. If you are motivated by rapid promotion, impressive titles, or other superficial resume builders, you will be disappointed. When you're a new hire, there are at most only two levels of management separating you from the owners of the whole thing, so there isn't that high to reasonably go.
        5. Small businesses aren't for everyone, so some people come into work with the wrong expectations.

Advice to Management

Don't worry as much about providing clearer boundaries for your employees and focus instead on harnessing and directing their energy and contributions into the things that will make this company great. Some of the best aspects of this company are rooted in the freedom to grow, learn new things, and take initiative. Rigid corporate structures make everyone feel more secure, but they risk stifling that vibrant atmosphere.

Dec 9, 2016 – Associate Director of Operations

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Smart, motivated, energetic employees who can work both independently and on teams in a small business environment are our greatest asset. Together we invest... More

"Learn How to Run Up the Bill"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Boyd Caton Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the software we used a lot of new technologies and weren't afraid to try new things. Something that worked and sometimes it didn't but that was good.

I did learn a lot about new technologies I haven't used before. Some examples: Redis, Gulp, Browser Stack, Bower, npm, React, Flux, Pattern Lab, SASS, and some other things.

The pay was pretty good.

Cons

Things were great for a while but management made some really weird planning choices. Looking back on it I think they were trying to slow down the project and run up the bill to the client.

You have to remember we were contractors so the more time and people we put on a project the more we billed the client.

1. No clear specs.
    2. Last 6 months I was there the project we were given never had specs or a deadline.
    3. They wouldn't let us refactor simple things to save time. We keep fixing the same broken code that was in half a dozen places.
    4. Towards the end a lot of developers and management were afraid to learn new things. Even simple things where the technology wasn't much different.
    5. In my opinion they didn't want to use technologies and code that would shorten our workload too much.
    6. In the beginning of 2016 the client cut the work order and management was never honest about it.
    7. The projects took way too long and had too many people on it.

The client did approve all of this though. I pushed back a bit on trying to make things more efficient. Less time on repetitive work, automating things, and so on. I even spent my own personal time on things. None of that was appreciated. In the end it just got me in trouble.

So I am a little bitter but that's the way I see everything.

"Neither Perfect Nor Bad"

Former Employee - Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Boyd Caton Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The reviews here, both positive and negative, are full of hyperbole. The truth is, it's a perfectly fine place to work. No, it's not workplace-utopia; no chocolate fountains, napping rooms, or ping pong tables, and no, you're not curing infectious diseases nor are you solving world hunger - but it's an office staffed with friendly people with decent pay and benefits. I don't quite understand the expectations of some reviewers; it's work, not a rave at the Berghain - it's not supposed to be fun; that's why they pay you.

Also...only white-straight-men do well at BCG? ...what? I worked on the NTD side, there are two main 'groups' within this division. Both were managed by women. There were two project managers who oversaw these groups: one man, one woman. There were multiple analysts within in each group, majority women. All of my teammates were women. Also, more openly LGBTQ people worked for BCG than at any other place that I have worked at. No one cared what your orientation or gender was.

I worked at BCG for about a year and had a positive experience. My manager and teammates were great; everyone else was generally friendly.

So, pros:

- Entry level pay is solid, as are the benefits (paid healthcare premiums, gym)
    - PTO wasn't amazing, but not bad either
    - Worklife balance
    - 8AM start time is a PITA if you’re coming from a 9AM start time

Cons

There were some legitimate criticism:

- No HR; no real excuse for this - BCG is too large to not have a formal HR department to handle issues. This of course led to some pretty standard office dispute type of stuff to spiral out of control and get churned through the typical office gossip-rumor mill.

- Growth; prior reviewers were correct in noting that the structure is flat - this has its benefits - but there aren’t really a lot of career paths.

- Help Desk. No further comment necessary.

- New web system - not really BCG's fault as they're not developing it, but the transition to the new system has been plagued with bugs, delays, and setbacks. The problem is...the analyst were expected to test and QA the system - this really shouldn't have been part of their job. I mean, there are entire careers based on QA and software testing and you really need a specific type of personality to enjoy this type of work, or to be good at it. It could be very demoralizing. Maybe this has been sorted out since I've left, but I don't know.

Overall: 3.5/5.0

Advice to Management

Establish an HR department, formalize the training program, hire full-time people for help desk, hire full time QA / Software testing analysts or offer bonuses to people who are doing 'testing' to keep them motivated

Nov 15, 2016 – Associate Director of Operations

Thank you for sharing your experience. As a woman-owned business, we are proud to have women and members of underrepresented groups at all levels of authority in the company. Our infrastructure is... More