Boyd Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2019

Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most companies boast of a work-life balance, but my leaders here encourage it" (in 8 reviews)

• "my fellow emeployes are good people that I work with" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "No one wanted to make it right including upper management" (in 11 reviews)

• "low pay, schedule work not consistent, security for employees should be better" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Usher"

Former Employee - Usher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Usher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The guests are friendly and the employee discounts are great!

Cons

Pay is not based on merit.

Advice to Management

Find a way to offer benefits as a paid option for those who are not full time employees .

Jan 18, 2019 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

We are glad that you enjoyed your fellow team members, as well as the discounts! Thanks for providing feedback on the pay; it will be shared with our leadership team.

2. "pay could be better, people nice"

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time

Pros

Really nice staff to work with

Cons

Pay scale could be way better

Jan 18, 2019 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

Thank you for your feedback on your experience as a current team member of Boyd Gaming! We're glad that you enjoy your fellow team members! We work hard to ensure our values are aligned with our... More

3. "Big company with local charm."

Pros

I appreciate the company's core values, willingness to embrace change and growth.

Cons

Still working on cultural diversity in management.

Dec 20, 2018 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback, and we will share it with our leadership teams to look for opportunities for improvement.

4. "The ghost of Christmas past at Boyd downtown"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Pay is 20% below market unless you are the few that get a bonous or bought “points” in the company in like 1976. If you want to live in the past this company is for you. Managers still talking about the good old days and the Vietnam war. It’s just one big 8 year old tree house club of guys that stuck around for 30 years that use the employees as punching bags.

Advice to Management

Time to resign boys you have been retired on the job to long. Get up to the 21 st century with pay, benefits, business models, and treatment of customers who bring no value.

Jan 18, 2019 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback, and the eight years you spent with Boyd Gaming. Your feedback has been shared with our leaders. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

5. "Dubuque office is great"

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in Dubuque are fantastic. The supervisors and staff are all wonderful and really make this place fun and tolerable. They do everything within their power to make this a better place to work, and it's much appreciated.

Cons

Corporate in Vegas is not on the same page as us. Communication is terrible, and they often refuse to listen to our team. They don't see (or don't care) how overworked we all are, and won't give us more employees. The pay and benefits are pretty terrible. Health Ins is so-so. 401K match is a joke. Yearly "bonus" would almost be less insulting if they gave us nothing. Raises (if you can even call them that) don't even come close to covering cost of living increases, let alone insurance increases. Vacation time is standard 2 weeks to start. All combined into one, no roll over, no sick days. The turnover is very high, and it shouldn't be in this type of position. They need to work on the pay & benefits or they aren't going to be able to keep quality employees. All of this lies with the corporate Vegas office.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team in Dubuque. Hire more staff so they aren't drowning half the time. Pay fairly. Give better benefits. Add sick days so employees don't come to work sick and infect everyone else because they don't have anymore vacation. Let Dubuque enforce the branding that is created, so every casino is not all over the place with their overall look.

Dec 20, 2018 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

We appreciate your feedback. We regret that your experience was not ideal, and this feedback has been shared with our leadership team. However, it sounds like you had a great experience within the... More

"Asked to stay awake over 26 hours"

Current Employee - Food Server in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Food Server in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Amazing Co-workers
    Benefits if you accrue enough hours

Cons

Disorganized management

You can be asked to work grave (11pm to 7am) then morning (9am to 5pm) the following day. If you choose to sleep after that grave shift you will need to remain awake 26+ hours to work the next shift at 9am. Or you will need to sleep 16+ hours to prepare for the following morning shift.

Advice to Management

Consider the logistics of the shifts you are asking people to work

Dec 20, 2018 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. As a values-driven organization that prides itself on integrity, we take this information very seriously, and we strongly encourage you to reach out to our HR team at... More

"Overall Good Company"

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

Open door policy; feels like a family with the team culture. Coworkers are very nice and you will have a chance to interact with other departments that you probably otherwise wouldn't get to with other companies.

Cons

Not many opportunities for career growth. Unless you work for the corporate office, you will be working nights, weekends, and holidays for no extra pay. Work/Life balance is hard to come by many weeks. Employees tend to burn out very fast and many departments have a high turnover rate because of it.

Dec 17, 2018 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback, because it has an impact on our future operations. We're glad that you enjoy your team members and the open door policy, and we hope the... More

"treat employees poorly"

Pros

none - unless you are a upper manager

Cons

work all holidays and no holiday pay rate like other companies have - expected to work sick - just to many more to list

Advice to Management

quit being self centered

Dec 20, 2018 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. As a values-driven organization that prides itself on integrity, we take this information very seriously, and we strongly encourage you to reach out... More

9. "BOYD FSS"

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

At the corporate and FSS office there is no free lunch / EDR like there is on property

Oct 16, 2018 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad that you would recommend us, and we'll forward your EDR feedback to our leadership.

"Admin"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open door policy with management.
    Listen to our concerns with improving the EDR.

Cons

Misled by management. Promised certain things when I was hired. But manger leaves and current manager under delivers with excuses. Been disappointed at every turn. No one wanted to make it right including upper management. Also don’t hire new employees as On-Call. But schedule them for 35-40 hours a week with out any kind of benefits.

Advice to Management

Was looking forward to joining Boyd but was let down. I was duped into believing that my hiring manager could honor our agreement...If u need a On Call employee to work 5 days a week 35-40 hours a week give them some benefits. Don’t hide behind calling them On Call. When clearly this is not On Call. Basically there Full time with no benefits.. At least don’t go over 32 hours a week ...

Oct 16, 2018 – Director, Digital Media & Social Engagement

Thank you for your review. Your feedback will be shared with HR and the appropriate teams in the hopes of improving our systems and procedures. We hope that you will discuss this with your management... More