Boyd Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • my fellow emeployes are good people that I work with (in 11 reviews)

• Benefits(once I start receiving them) and the team members dinning room (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management doesn't care about the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Not a whole lot of room for advancement in that particular department (in 5 reviews)

1. "Employment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid lunch hour, friendly employees

Cons

No Benefits until 90 days, long employment process

Advice to Management

Orientation should overview benefits and be able to ask questions

"Games Supervisor"

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

Properties located all over the country

Cons

Upper Management doesn't care about the employees

"Mistreated and lied to."

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Robinsonville, MS
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Robinsonville, MS

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I liked working there until last year, have been an employee for over 23 years

Cons

I had to have rotator cuff surgery and missed time from work but got a letter stating that if I returned by a certain date I would be covered so against medical advice I went back, when it came time to re-register for insurance I was informed that they had amended the qualifications and I no longer would have insurance, unbelievable that they do that to an employee of 23 yrs. especially when I have a letter saying I would be covered. Not last problem I was hurt at work and they send me to the Dr. now they say they are not covering it, I have no insurance so they want me to pay for my Dr's visits and therapy. Their Human resources is sad and pathetic. Thanks for nothing.

Advice to Management

Get a new Human resource team, I am not the only one that lost insurance for not being informed. They say the will call Vegas, and try to help, no help.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun Atmosphere and meeting the people

Cons

Don't expect to retire from there. They lay off people 40+, or right before you retire and if you're in management they abuse your hours and pay. Not to mention no matter how good of an employee it is the bottom line $ for them. They will cut your job at the drop of a hat. It is all about the revenues and management is the 1st to go since they are higher paid but not greatly paid for the positions they hire for. They change titles just to give you lesser pay and fire people to pay the next in line less. They expect you to to CROSS train and why? So that later that person can take your job for less $. So wrong.

Advice to Management

Start giving a crap about your employees because having team rally and handing out a gift to one winner and giving popcorn and soda does NOT suffice for the hard work that is done then axing the jobs. STOP with the clicks and protecting and advancing job positions to the people within the (your) circle and firing the ones that don't get caught up in the clicky crew and do things honestlty. Its so corrupt.

5. "security"

Former Employee - Securitas Security Guard in Austin, MN
    Former Employee - Securitas Security Guard in Austin, MN

I worked at Boyd Gaming part-time

Pros

my fellow emeployes are good people that I work with

Cons

the HR department an management are no good an go by bill boyed beliefs on careing about employes because u guys dont

Advice to Management

change ur policie on how u handle mistakes that ur employes make an get to know them better before u judge them

"Depressing and behind the times"

I worked at Boyd Gaming (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule; 9-5 with a paid lunch.

Cons

Low employee morale.
    Extremely low pay.
    C-Suite is completely out of touch with the industry and its workforce.
    The place you go to work for 10 years or so and retire.
    No chance for advancement.
    Raises are nearly non-existent and do not keep up with the cost of living.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and properly compensate them.

"Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. It wad a depressing place to be.

Cons

Everything. It was the most depressing place to be. Controller literally thought she could control everyone.

"Front desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Biloxi, MS
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Biloxi, MS

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not one pro.

Cons

Anything and everything you can think of. Horrible management that never has employees backs. Management that will talk to their employees like they are kindergarteners. Do not stick to the policy and will bend the rules for every single guest after they just told the employee not to, just so it makes the employee look bad, and the manager look like they saved the day. Nothing gets done about any issues brought up. I've had several meetings with managers and my managers manager. Nothing was done about any of the 10 issues I brought up... including how I was told I was "thick" and had a "fat backside *used a curse word but the website will not let me say it* " by several coworkers and management WHILE I was pregnant. I will never work for boyd gaming again and will NEVER recommend this "4 diamond hotel" to anyone. The pay is good when you start out, but the most you can get for a raise is .10 per year!!! no raise applies if you transfer to another department. Turn over rate is ridiculous. They can not keep employees/managers for longer than 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

They do not want anyone's advice. They would rather tell you why YOU are in the wrong, rather than have constructive criticism.

"Run away quick"

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

Pay was ok but horrible culture

Cons

Turns out found out that they went through my purse when I was not there. I suspected something was wrong when my items were not where I usually put them. My medications were moved and some were missing. Quickly found another position and left company due to this.

Advice to Management

Please don't go through employee's purses.

"The downtown Las Vegas disaster"

Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO is ok. Employees are good people.

Cons

- 1% raises while Management is overpaid with bonuses
    - Health benefit costs have tripled in 5 years
    - Lack of diversity in Downtown management. No blacks, the one you had you fired 3 years ago, one women in management . All are old, uneducated angry white men.
    -Lack of advancement, constantly eliminating positions to control cost due to a dispassionate marketing team that has not been able to raise top line growth for 3 quarters year over year.
    -Turnoverover at 100% in the bottom third of the seniority base. Massive favoritism toward long standing employees.
    -integrity issues from core team who blindly follow for fear of retaliation.
    - Bonuses collected (20% of base salary) for average performance at the expenses of shareholders and employees
    - Treating your employees like they are nobodies or know nothing unless your a 30 year veteran.
    - Holding on to an outdated belief system that worships a now defunct Hawaiian clientele.

Advice to Management

This company needs a complete cultural re-set. Paying employees a 1% raise while Someone has stated the wage growth in Nevada is 4% is corporate hypocrisy. A stock that trades 40 points below its all time high is not maximizing shareholder value nor is losing 980 million in one quarter. It seems you wish to profit off the backs of your employees rather then your customers at your shareholders expense. If you believe that integrity is your cornerstone then Management should show the courage to resign to allow another individual to lead the reemergence of shareholder value and fire your entire management staff downtown to start from scratch.