Boyd Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • Boyd while not an industry leader in compensation has the best work-life balance of any gaming company in Las Vegas (in 6 reviews)

• A lot of good people who work there (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a whole lot of room for advancement in that particular department (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management in the Las Vegas Downtown Region is a group of old men who never get tired of patting themselves on the back (in 7 reviews)

1. "Run away quick"

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time

Pros

Pay was ok but horrible culture

Cons

Turns out found out that they went through my purse when I was not there. I suspected something was wrong when my items were not where I usually put them. My medications were moved and some were missing. Quickly found another position and left company due to this.

Advice to Management

Please don't go through employee's purses.

"The downtown Las Vegas disaster"

Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO is ok. Employees are good people.

Cons

- 1% raises while Management is overpaid with bonuses
    - Health benefit costs have tripled in 5 years
    - Lack of diversity in Downtown management. No blacks, the one you had you fired 3 years ago, one women in management . All are old, uneducated angry white men.
    -Lack of advancement, constantly eliminating positions to control cost due to a dispassionate marketing team that has not been able to raise top line growth for 3 quarters year over year.
    -Turnoverover at 100% in the bottom third of the seniority base. Massive favoritism toward long standing employees.
    -integrity issues from core team who blindly follow for fear of retaliation.
    - Bonuses collected (20% of base salary) for average performance at the expenses of shareholders and employees
    - Treating your employees like they are nobodies or know nothing unless your a 30 year veteran.
    - Holding on to an outdated belief system that worships a now defunct Hawaiian clientele.

Advice to Management

This company needs a complete cultural re-set. Paying employees a 1% raise while Someone has stated the wage growth in Nevada is 4% is corporate hypocrisy. A stock that trades 40 points below its all time high is not maximizing shareholder value nor is losing 980 million in one quarter. It seems you wish to profit off the backs of your employees rather then your customers at your shareholders expense. If you believe that integrity is your cornerstone then Management should show the courage to resign to allow another individual to lead the reemergence of shareholder value and fire your entire management staff downtown to start from scratch.

"Sr. Management Sucks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

They make payroll every payday

Cons

Management sucks, insults the employees intelligence.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. we know we are getting screwed but we have to take it.

"Depends on the department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vinton, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vinton, LA

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

—A lot of friendly employees
    —Decent health insurance

Cons

I had to quit because of a hostile boss, who had a history of running off her subordinates. I experienced bullying from my boss, and went to HR for help. All they could do was talk to my boss's boss about having a sit-down meeting to work out the situation. I waited weeks for this to happen, but nothing—not a peep. When I went back to ask about the progress, HR said that they had talked with my boss's boss and assumed that a meeting took place. When I told them that it didn't, all HR did was do the same exact thing and talked again to my boss's boss. It was completely ineffective. No real solution was presented and the most disturbing thing about it is how much they really didn't care.

Advice to Management

Bad managers will cost your company a lot in the long run.

"STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!"

Former Employee - Management in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Management in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bill Boyd. He and a few others are still very genuine and there are many loyal employees who stay with the company solely because of him.

Cons

Senior leadership doesn't care about the employees. They only care about revenue and shareholders. Long time employees are shown quite a bit of favoritism and new employees suffer, get frustrated because of backstabbing and poor wages, then leave to work for real companies if they can. Boyd has grown so much over the last 10 years that rather than making things efficient and help employees, they have lost focus on what made the company great… ITS EMPLOYEES. Rather, they keep taking benefits away, giving 1% increases and expect employees to smile and give great service to guests. They have also eliminated many full-time jobs and replaced with on-call or part-time so they don't have to pay benefits. Shame on you!

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. If you pay the least and don't give decent increases, then constantly increase the costs of benefits, how do you expect people to provide for their families on sub standard $. Maybe if the CEO and the EVP's/SVP's want to save a few million $, they should pay each $1 for a year or 2 and give some of that money to the employee's for wages increases instead of $.10-$.15/hour. Instead they would rather pay themselves with big bonuses, stock and pay increases.

Leadership needs to get their head out of the sand and be more progressive and remember its the service industry employees that makes you the money, not vice versa!

"A "got you" culture"

I worked at Boyd Gaming (Less than a year)

Pros

Descent benefits and other property's may be very different but aside from a paycheck there is not much good here.

Cons

There is only one person that maters and this is not the guest. HR is always conducting investigations about everything. Management is always kept in the dark. Very dark culture a very "got you" culture.

Advice to Management

Corporate should have more involvement in the properties.

"Horrible"

Pros

Great coffee in breakroom. Ice cream

Cons

Favouritism. Terrible choices for shift managers and back-ups. Not even part-time only on call no benefits

Advice to Management

Unprofessional, uneducated on a real Supervisor opportunity.

"Sub par hotel manager"

Current Employee - Reservations in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Reservations in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Boyd Gaming part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co workers are friendly. The hotel is beautiful. All of the employees get along.
    We all look out for each other.

Cons

Management is consistently inconsistent.
    Hotel manager has a closed and locked door policy. No empathy.
    The employees look out for each other because management wont.

Advice to Management

Take some people skills training.
    With the current attitude, you are loseing
    More employees than keeping them.
    People are hired for the reservations department, and when they realize what the manager is really like. They quit.

Boyd Gaming Response

Sep 26, 2016 – Senior Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback about your experience as a team member. When we fall short of our goal to be an employer of choice in our industry, we want to know about it. Based on ... More

"Directors make all the money, everyone else paid peanuts"

Pros

No pro's in the 3+ years I was employed here.

Cons

As I was salary, I was made to work 60+ hours per week and never got to see my family while earning no overtime or extra benefits.

Long days, sometimes 14 hours+ and having to be at work by 8am the next day with no "thank you" from management for staying late the day previous and being in on time the day after.

Advice to Management

PAY THOSE THAT DO THE MOST WORK, THE MOST. PAY THE DIRECTORS FOR THEW WORK THEY DO, NOT WHAT THEY DELEGATE FOR THE "MINIONS".

"Worst Mgmt. Ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of good people who work there

Cons

Mgmt is the worst I've ever encountered. they lie a lot, the make empty promises, chaotic scheduling , they are inept, arrogant managers who really have no idea what they are doing. They make up the rules as they go along . A lot of double standards and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Find jobs you are qualified for. Quit telling lies . Don't make promises you can't keep
    Nobody likes a horses butt for a boss