Boyd Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boyd Gaming CEO and President Keith E. Smith
Keith E. Smith

Pros
  • Benefits(once I start receiving them) and the team members dinning room (in 11 reviews)

• Boyd while not an industry leader in compensation has the best work-life balance of any gaming company in Las Vegas (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a whole lot of room for advancement in that particular department (in 5 reviews)

• too many turnovers in upper management (in 8 reviews)

"Lack of Support"

Former Employee - Marketing in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Marketing in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some really solid people there. It's a better environment that working in a Las Vegas strip casino environment.

Cons

My issues are mainly around management. I found that people in supervisory roles were not properly trained for those roles or were under-qualified. That is frustrating to people who want to impact change yet get no support.

Advice to Management

Empower people to make positive impact and change...don't provide lip service. You are valuable people in under-utilized roles...give them opportunities to show you who they are.

"company values good in theory but not practiced"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming part-time

Pros

Free meals, employee discounts and events. great coworkers!!

Cons

low pay, schedule work not consistent, security for employees should be better. favoritism

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for part time employees by scheduling two days off in a row. will prevent burn out.

"Casino dealer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Boyd Gaming (More than 3 years)

Pros

Boyd allows you to move around to different departments with little problem

Cons

Management is terrible at times. The head management at my casino were not nice of friendly did not speak to me in the four years i worked there. Makes you feel like just a number.

"An honest look into production."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Attracts good people in production - have made new friends, some departments are still 7hr with 1hr lunch, nice working environment with proper equipment

Cons

Little freedom to creatively respond to the market, very frustrated middle management, low loyalty with production staff, very little female or minority representation in corporate management, poor wages for production and middle management alike, special treatment for top 1% in the company: including middle of the year title changes and raises, while the rest of the company can wait years (3-4) for a 1% cost of living increase, very little room for advancement at the Corporate level, there is drama and a sense that things will continue to get worse for production while improving only for Executive staff

Advice to Management

Stop turning this company into a managers paradise and pay everyone fair wages. Guide with knowledge and integrity, not with ego and outdated principles.

"Never Again"

Former Employee - Cage Cashier in Opelousas, LA
    Former Employee - Cage Cashier in Opelousas, LA

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Safe area.
    Quick to learn.
    Nice co-workers.
    Time flew by.

Cons

Crappy pay
    Crappy hours
    Expensive health insurance
    Uncomfortable uniforms.
    Also they decided to randomly lay off a BUNCH of people.

Advice to Management

Work the job before opening your mouth about what needs to be done.

"Pros? Cons? Professional Cons?"

Current Employee - Surveillance Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Surveillance Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a TDR (Team Member Dining Room) which is open 98% of the year. Employees have paid breaks, so they work 1 hour less in reality than they are scheduled, yet are paid for their entire shift. The benefits have changed every year, in my opinion, they get a little worse every year compared to the year before. However, they offer comprehensive plans that cover dental, health, and vision. I may not always agree with the rates, but what I pay for what my family gets is better than a lot of other people. PTO (Paid Time Off) is nice compared to some places that require you to take full weeks at a time and give Holiday Pay. Hourly employees can use PTO for specific hours, random days, or weeks. You can use PTO to get paid for sick days. There may not be Holiday Pay, but I think having the flexible PTO is worth the trade off.

Cons

The members of management I have dealt with don't like following everything to a "t." The company touts a philosophy (Boyd Style/Boyd VIEW = Value relationships, Integrity, Exceed expectations, Work smart) on how they run their business and how things should be done based on those standards. At the end of the day though, you see people from the bottom to the top not following that code of conduct. You technically can't ask about anyone else, just worry about yourself. It makes things difficult though at times because you want to usually treat people the way they treat you. If you do that though, you may be called out on not following the companies standard, regardless of what anyone else has done to provoke that response or action. I have seen various departments ignore things or turn a blind eye and act like it didn't happen or they didn't know. They don't run themselves in the most practical of manners. You see people harassing other people, managers getting in other managers business on what they do with their employees, false statements, etc. These things can be found everywhere, however, it seems to be running rampant lately. Double standards? Yes, absolutely. The idea of what they want to happen, and what they do, don't match. Depending on what you do, or who you are, they bend or break their own rules. They break various state, and local laws on a regular basis, but as long as no one knows, and revenues are coming in...who cares? As a supervisor, we are required to take various training classes on the many things we are to be on the look out for, and be responsible for. You could be given up to 5+ hours of training material, online, and then are required to pass a test with a minimum score of 80%. It doesn't sound bad, but the problem is that you are asked two to five questions per section of material you cover. So let's break that down: 5 hours, 10 to 20 questions +/-, and now you are responsible for everything you learned. You could screw up on one thing, and be fired, "justifiably." They will say you took the class, you passed the test, you should have known what you were doing then. The problem is not all the questions cover all the material you are given. Another problem is that you can't fail the test, if you do, take it again, and again, and again, until you get the correct score. By doing this, you are no longer really learning what you are being tested on, but just trying to pass the test. So your level of responsibility is skewed with the type of training you "receive." Truth be told, most things are practical, however, not all things are. And that is where they get you. There is no training/mentoring of younger employees to become managers and replace their managers. Most people at the top want to stay there, so unless they screw up, you won't move up, and if you do move up, you probably weren't trained. Unless that person knew they were going to retire and started mentoring you. The problem with that then is that they already picked a successor, so applying for a position is pointless if they have someone already. The company's target demographics are all wrong for long term sustainability. They are followers and not innovators. They want to be a gaming company, but take little to no risk. They sweat money left and right. You can't have winners without having losers, if everyone lost, you wouldn't have a customer base, period. Not in the gaming industry. There is much to be desired as someone who has been with the company for over 10 years now. The more I grew personally, and started paying attention to what was going on, the less happy I was with this company as a whole. If anyone believes that giving someone 20+ years to be a manager means you accomplished something, is mistaken. Depending on where you want to go in this company, be ready to give that much and more. The pay is also below par compared to other companies, period. Boyd pays less than their competitors, they know this, and won't change. They expect their employees to operate at or exceed the level of their competitors with employees paid less. This is a failed system for success. I don't mean to say everyone deserves what they make, but you can't be competitive by underbidding everyone else in your league. There is a program called SWAH (Service With A Hustle) that is supposed to state how you act and behave with guests and co-workers. That is a joke, based on comments above. There are yearly evals that all employees get, the eval is supposed to play a factor on the percentage of a pay increase an employee gets. That doesn't always hold true from property to property. HR at each property decides what employees get, either a fixed rate, or a scale, but there is no consistency. There is no consistency from property to property. Most departments, 80%+, don't have a policies and procedures manual. They don't want to be held responsible for following a set guide on how they do things. Instead random memos are issued and you are supposed to follow the employee handbook. You could go from property A, to property B, and feel like you are in a new company, despite the name, because of how each property is ran. There is no uniform code. The military gets some things right, and consistency across all operations is one of them.

Advice to Management

If you are going to preach a style of leadership, management, and business ethnics, do it. At all levels, for every employee. Don't play favorites, don't make exceptions, keep it fair, otherwise you have no "Integrity" or "Value relationships" in the "Boyd VIEW." Give a real employee opinion survey, with real questions, not basic questions that don't tell you the truth.

"Security"

Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good things about working for Boyd was the PTO and the Benefits were decent.

Cons

Where to start? Firstly, the property I worked at had Zero respect for the employees. They did not provide them with the materials needed to perform their jobs efficiently, their senior management was not open to suggestions from Team members. They had "Everyone Everyday" meetings where they used scare tactics on employees in an attempt to get better customer service from them. They promote favoritism (or so it seems), and my property had guests working in an unsafe work environment as they had NO panic alarms. Along with that, there is no incentive to do anything outside the basic elements of your job (no raises) armed security gets paid the same as unarmed which is completely asinine and when they get a good employee the overload their plate and run them into the ground.

Boyd cut corners everywhere to cut costs and it really created a hostile, and uncomfortable work environment. Especially with the big wigs breathing down your back.

Advice to Management

Fix the items mentioned above. Boyd is going down hill...and fast.

"Still Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Clerk in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Shreveport, LA

Pros

Paid Lunches
    Fixed Hours
    Friendly Workers
    Transfer Eligibility
    Close to Home

Cons

POINT SYSTEM
    Human Resources
    Treatment of Customers
    Supervisor
    non-organization

Advice to Management

You are slowly losing your most valuable customers. Give them better rewards! And stop hiring horrible supervisors who have no communication skills!

Boyd Gaming Response

Feb 4, 2016 – Company Administrator

We appreciate your feedback. As you know, we strive to be an employer of choice in our industry. When we fall short of that standard, we want to know about it, so we can work to improve. We will ... More

"Unsatisfactory"

Former Employee - Surveillance Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Surveillance Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO was a plus considering the previous structure before BG took over. The job itself was easy. I worked with an excellent swing shift crew. The managers at the beginning of the merger were excellent to work for. Technological advances were made by Boyd that hadn't been made by its predecessor, Coast Casinos.

Cons

Department managers toward the end of my time there were nothing but slaves to senior management, often tasking my department with chores that had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the functionality of the Surveillance Department. Other employees that made the job difficult who should have been terminated, were not. Throw in the word "lawsuit" and everyone somehow managed to lose a spine and common sense. Pay hadn't been up to industry standards after I completed 7 years. The technological advances that were made had been offset by the input of those who had no experience. Many suggestions made by experienced Agents fell upon the deaf ears of Senior Management. Boyd Gaming hasn't promoted a "team mentality" especially at specific properties in Las Vegas and many now work as part of a hostile/toxic environment.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to Boyd Gaming Senior Management. Many know what should be done, what needs to be done, but will it be done? I highly doubt it.

Boyd Gaming Response

Feb 4, 2016 – Company Administrator

Thank you for your honest feedback. We will pass along your information and concerns and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

10. "Total lack of training in every department I have come in contact with."

Current Employee - Entry Level Management in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Entry Level Management in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boyd Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Breaks are paid. Lunch is free. Coworkers are often alot of fun if you can ignore the complaining and backstabbing. Hours are pretty standard.

Cons

Rules are constantly in flux, so you don't really know what is allowed and what you may get written up for.

Advice to Management

I work at the premier property but there is no training. I have had to teach cocktails, porters and dealers things that should have been common sense. Just a day or so training would do a world of good.