Boys Town Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The focus on children and families gives great satisfaction to know your hard work is going to better America (in 16 reviews)

• They have really good benefits, the people are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The job is incredibly overwhelming and there is a huge lack of support (in 4 reviews)

• Boys Town is a Non profit organization and does not pay well (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission focused! Great teamwork atmosphere! Researched based and data driven

Cons

cost recovery for programs can be challenging

Advice to Management

None

Nov 6, 2017 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for your review! We love to hear that you enjoy your team atmosphere.

2. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Great work life balance. Above average benefits.

Cons

Pay is below average. 401 k vests but is good after 5 years.

May 21, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for your review! We love to hear that you appreciate the benefits. Thank you for being an employee at Boys Town and for the impact that you contribute to.

3. "Its a good job if you like dealing with at risk kids. This job isnt made for everyone."

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Boys Town full-time

Pros

You are saving the world with each child. Training is good

Cons

The pay raise isnt alot

May 21, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! Our employees truly change the lives of youth and families and we are thankful for all that they do. If you have any suggestions on how we improve... More

4. "Great Experience"

I worked at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town really values their employees development and provide room for growth.

Cons

Unfortunately Boys Town closed its NY site in September 2017.

Mar 26, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We value our employees and our mission, and we are excited to see you enjoy the employee development and growth opportunities at Boys Town.

5. "Family Teaching Couple"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Boys Town full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratifying to help troubled youth

Cons

The strenuous hours and expectations

Advice to Management

Create more supportive and healthy environments for FTCs to work in - they are the mission-critical positions Boys Town needs in order to operate yet are often overlooked and treated as less than. Some realistic measures for living need to be established in order for FTCs to thrive in their job and with the way homes are set up this seems impossible.

May 7, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for your review. We appreciate our Family-Teaching Couples and all that they do for the youth here at Boys Town. Please email us at feedback@boystown.org for any suggestions you have on how... More

6. "Foster Care Consultant"

Former Employee - Foster Care Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Foster Care Consultant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town (More than 3 years)

Pros

-good people to work with

Cons

-pay is very low

Mar 12, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for your review! If you wish to provide further feedback or have ideas on how I could help employees thrive in our working environment, please email us at feedback@boystown.org.

"Help the future, lose yourself"

Current Employee - Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with kids who really need the help you provide. Good co worker relations. A sense of purpose when you go to work.

Cons

Management doesn't care about their staff. When given feedback and you ask a question, you are told you are hard to work with and don't accept feedback well. Management will flip flop on issues going on and will always find a reason they are not wrong, and it is your fault because you aren't doing it right, even though it is how they told you.

Advice to Management

Support the ones who are supporting the kids. Care about others, listen to what they have to say, and don't think you are infallible.

Apr 2, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

We are saddened to hear about your experience with leadership at Boys Town. We do not tolerate a toxic work environment and would like to discuss your concerns further. Feel free to contact us at... More

8. "Great benefits, shakey management"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want a first hand shot and saving children, this is the place. The benefits are great, including top health insurance, PTO and a lot more. Overall, the people are great to work with.

Cons

Direct supervisors are sometimes questionable. Some love to micromanage which adds undue stress to an already stressful job. The pay is not tops, but it isn't the worst either. High stress work.

Advice to Management

Stop consultants from micromanaging. Open the door to frontline staff to feel safe in sharing grievances.

Mar 1, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for your service at Boys Town. As a current employee, we want you to feel supported and safe in your role. We strongly encourage you to talk directly with your supervisor or email us at... More

9. "Strange, controlling culture."

Former Employee - Family Teaching Couple in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Family Teaching Couple in Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to help youth. Resources are there.

Cons

Very controlling environment, almost cult-like. I wonder how we are supposed to role model healthy interpersonal dynamics when the company management is so controlling to the point of abuse. Not a safe environment to bring your biological children into, and your biological children's needs, safety, well-being mean nothing, so that has to be okay with you.

Advice to Management

I don't think advice will help. They will not listen.

Mar 1, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your service at Boys Town. Our Direct Care staff definitely have a tough job, but we want to assure you that we do not condone physical violence against... More

"Awful management and hostile work environment."

Current Employee - Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is some opportunity to help kids make progress. Staff gain experience in coping with extreme stress and political agendas. Staff also learn to work independently with little or no support. They also work hard to provide their contract employees with a large amount of contradictory and confusing information, which also adds to the experience.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working at Boys Town are that physical violence against the staff is permitted, and kids are often not held accountable for their poor actions. Often there is a double standard for boys and girls. How the children are treated depends largely on that child's source of funding, and if they are a top athlete. Clairifying questions intended to help an employee understand how to improve are a sure way to get disciplinary action because it is considered "not accepting feedback/decisions". A Request from HR to contact the company directly to express concerns is a trap, and should be avoided at all cost, because administration and HR are vindictive.

Advice to Management

Stop working so hard to impress legislators and work more on supporting staff. If staff is happy they will work harder, stay longer, and most importantly, provide better care.

Mar 1, 2018 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for the role you play in changing the life of kids in need. Our Direct Care staff are really on the front lines and provide an amazing service. We want to assure you that physical... More