Boys Town Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Pros
  • The focus on children and families gives great satisfaction to know your hard work is going to better America (in 15 reviews)

• I don't work directly with the youth but I know that I am making a difference in children's life (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Stressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program (in 4 reviews)

• Boys Town is a Non profit organization and does not pay well (in 6 reviews)

1. "Helping kids and staff learn best practices."

Current Employee - Family Home Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Family Home Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible job, mostly good people you will work with. Company has lasted over 100 years. You see positive change in kids and families. Very organized and support driven. Tones of development.

Cons

Don't pay worth unless you stick around over 10 years. High stress, work home life is not good. On-call and off work every 14 days. Management is a bit clucky but mostly normal. Funding, funding, funding is getting low and government does not help with contracts for decent balance. You won't get rich.

Advice to Management

Overall, pretty good except leading who paid their way to be in management. Everyone does their jobs well; however, Gossiping of firing or forced resignations.

2. "Only if you need a check"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of parking, company card to cover expenses so you don't have to wait to be reimbursed

Cons

Management relies heavily on personal opinion and "gut feelings" when dealing with the lives of disadvantaged youth. Objectivity is extremely lacking. The company emphasizes "accepting feedback" however when ethics concerns arise around service provision you’re more likely to be ostracized and reprimanded for pointing this out. While I come qualified with education and experience to work in the human service field this is not necessary for a position here. Boys Town emphasizes their 2 week crash course that you must attend in Omaha, Nebraska where they will attempt to cram the treatment model. (During my training one of the instructors thought it was okay to tell a story about an African-American male teaching to a youth about why it was not okay to use a well-known racial slur while she herself used the racial slur. I still do not know why this person thought that this was okay. Also, when reviewing the benefits for the position in Nebraska we were told that it was cheaper for women to have a baby rather than be covered for birth control. Two statements lacking sensitivity/cultural-sensitivity delivered to a room of new-hires.) The biggest issue that arises, if you choose to work here, is that you quickly learn that their CBT approach does nothing to address the systemic issues that the clients they choose to serve face especially in the District of Columbia. The company is data driven instead of client centered. Their primary concern is that certain assessments are in the system within "x" amount of days and not whether or not realistic goals are set. This basically means that you just have to put anything in there so that their numbers are where they want them to be. Meeting the person where they are completely goes against the model. The program requires out of home placement for at least a year for the youth to generalize the teachings however they attempt to jam this in within 60 to 120 days. A service MUST be put into the youth's life within 14 days of admittance whether or not they come in with services or if they're even necessary. There is no consideration for the environmental factors that confront the youth and their families. The belief that you have to throw a “service” or a "resource" at an issue will produce lasting results is rampant. It’s a cookie cutter model.
    Other issues arose around a lack of on-site training and supervision. While you are supposed to meet with your supervisor weekly to continue learning the model I did not. Upon my arrival my supervisor repeatedly told me that they did not know what they were doing and they started learning the position when I did. In 6 months I can count on 1 hand the number of times that I met with my supervisor to learn anything. You’re completely on your own if you choose to come here is my only take-away and the sad thing is that the 3 people over you aren’t doing anything themselves. You can attempt to go to them for answers but none of them can agree or no one wants to be the one to give you the wrong answer. The leadership staff is not supportive and show little sign that they communicate on all levels. Within 2 weeks of my start date at my location I reached out to HR to speak with someone about my concerns and did not receive any aid. I would reach out several times over 6 months and even filed an ethics review complaint with the national headquarters for any kind of support for the several incidences that arose ni my time on campus. Instead of support I was lambasted for what had not been done (despite the fact that I had been reaching out over the course of 6 months for any kind of help all the way up to the highest on site office.). This site does not care about new hires especially not if you are knowledgeable in your field. The majority of the campus in the main office has been there well over 6 years and some in the double digits. They “can do no wrong” and they protect each other accordingly. The persons holdiong leadership positions in the company most likely began their career in human services at Boys Town and only know the Boys Town Model and not what the youth of the city actually face. They’re constantly trying to place a square peg into a round hole. If you choose to come to Boys Town it should only be because you’re fresh out of school and have no experience outside of internships and you need experience working with children. It is not a place for long term growth especially if you are an MSW, MFT, LPC or anything of the sort. Get your year in and GO!

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves on the population that you're attempting to serve. Your personal opinions on parenting has no place here.

3. "Toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and staff who work directly with youth are committed and do a great job.

Cons

Administration has a history of tolerating abusive managers and directors who make the lives of staff miserable. Human Resources personnel merely state that creating a hostile work environment is not something they can address unless one falls under a protected class.

Advice to Management

You are all about teaching social skills, which should extend to your own management and administration.

4. "Admin Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, kids are awesome

Cons

not great pay for work done

5. "Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Every day when I come to work I feel good about what I do. I don't work directly with the youth but I know that I am making a difference in children's life. Boys Town's Mission is about changing the way America cares for children and families by providing and promoting a continuum of care that strengthens body, mind and spirit.
    I truly love my job!

Cons

I don't have any. Boys Town is a non-profit and the wages reflect that.

Advice to Management

As with any management it's always important to listen to your employees - the ones on the front lines - be that working directly with the youth to the networking person setting up firewalls to keep the kids their information safe. They are the key to keeping a healthy and happy working environment. When you feel your ideas are valued then you will feel valued.

6. "Working with the kids is the best part"

Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to help children
    Build relationships
    Family style
    Outings with kids
    Food at work (saves on groceries)

Cons

Feedback is not always reciprocal
    Unable to have a voice in feedback to higher up
    Company is nonwilling to work with those with mental illnesses
    Afternoon Hours
    Never the same schedule
    Overnights once a month

7. "Assistant Family Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team oriented atmosphere. Everyone gets and gives feedback. Some days can be very chill depending on how the kids go.

Cons

The hours can be long sometimes. Kids will test your patience sometimes.

"Have been able to help children and families while developing my Human Services career."

Current Employee - Consultant in Council Bluffs, IA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Council Bluffs, IA

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Boys Town is a positive environment that has a mission to help children and families. Boys Town has excellent benefits.

Cons

The rate of salary increase every year is very low. Often times caseloads are high which impacts quality to families and ability to do well. Employees are encouraged to take time off to prevent burnout but realistically that isn't possible.

Advice to Management

Listen to your direct care staff when they tell you their case loads are too high. Ask for their feedback before changes are implemented.

"Overnight staff"

Former Employee - Overnight Support Staff in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Overnight Support Staff in Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to read and watch TV overnight and did not have a supervisor. Headlight cleaning duties to keep busy

Cons

No additional pay for overnight, dramatic staff, had a lead staff there that are dressed inappropriate in a group home for boys, no room to move up as I asked to be transferred to a different department the supervisor didn't really seem to care, long training, horrible teaching system only works if you like to be robotic which a lot of the kids said that's how the staff sounded.

10. "Poor salary and career growth opportunity"

Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can be rewarding, good health benefits

Cons

Poor pay and almost none existent raises. Management consists of people that have been around for 15+ years and they will never bring a fresh idea into the mix.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to how other successful agencies manage their employees and adapt to their management styles. Pay employees at all levels competitive wages and you will retain quality employees.