Boys Town Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The focus on children and families gives great satisfaction to know your hard work is going to better America (in 16 reviews)

• They have really good benefits, the people are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Stressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program (in 4 reviews)

• Boys Town is a Non profit organization and does not pay well (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Assistant"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Every day when I come to work I feel good about what I do. I don't work directly with the youth but I know that I am making a difference in children's life. Boys Town's Mission is about changing the way America cares for children and families by providing and promoting a continuum of care that strengthens body, mind and spirit.
    I truly love my job!

Cons

I don't have any. Boys Town is a non-profit and the wages reflect that.

Advice to Management

As with any management it's always important to listen to your employees - the ones on the front lines - be that working directly with the youth to the networking person setting up firewalls to keep the kids their information safe. They are the key to keeping a healthy and happy working environment. When you feel your ideas are valued then you will feel valued.

Boys Town Response

Nov 6, 2017 – Recruiting Outreach Partner

Thank you for your service at Boys Town! We are thankful for all of our employees dedication to Father Flanagan's mission. We value and appreciate your feedback.

2. "Use Your Talents to Make a Difference!"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Boys Town is a wonderful organization that is positively impacting the lives of youth and families across the nation each and every day! It is refreshing to work in a positive environment where everyone truly believes in the mission of the organization and is here to make a difference in someone else's life! It's rewarding to be able to use your own gifts and give back to your community!

Cons

Employees at times may not put enough attention on their own personal health and needs because they are so driven by their desire to help others. It is important to continually encourage employees to have appropriate work/life balance. Help them understand this will make them more efficient and effective on the job, so they can continually perform to the high standards expected when delivering top services to our communities.

Advice to Management

Continue to explore ways that Boys Town can impact the lives of more youth and families across the nation. Also continue to value your employees and the work they do on a daily basis. Explore the strengths each person can bring to the organization and work to utilize those to the fullest potential.

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization with a mission that is easy to get behind and support. The benefits are good and a lot of talented employees who really support the mission. Lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

A bit slow to change and move to new technologies or trends. Non-profit salaries can be below median, but benefits really help to balance it out.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward talent a bit more formally.

4. "Rewarding"

Pros

People are very friendly, supportive upper management staff. great location, it has that homely feel to it. i really felt that i was making a difference in the lives of children served by Boys Town

Cons

kids could be hostile at times but like what we have been told: it's just the behavior.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

5. "A great foundation for my career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are changing the way America cares for their youth, families, and communities beginning with me. They take the time to develop me in my current position. They take the time to ask me if I aspire to become anything else within the agency. They take the time to prepare me to take on higher positions by providing me opportunities to learn about other positions. There is a possibility of moving up within the agency.

Cons

If you are not passionate about helping youth, families and communities you are most likely not going to fit in with the demands of fulfilling the shared mission.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your staff from the bottom up.

6. "Data Entries, travel business expenses, Mileage, ACH deposit, unclaimed property, purchasing card and past due invoice."

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town has been helping save children and heal families

Cons

manager wasn't go by company policy.

7. "Helping Youth and Families is my passion."

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.

"A love hate relationship"

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping families learn parenting skills and become successful. Seeings or talking to families or youth months or years later and seeing how far they've come along.

Cons

This position has a lot of turn over. People want to help others, but don't realize how demanding the job is emotionally and physically. Hours are not typical, but at the same time you do get to make your own schedule. Have to work till 10pm, but don't start working until 2 or 3pm.

9. "Fr. Flanagan's dream is alive and well"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

very mission focused with kids' first emphasis

Cons

many long term employees make moving up hard

Advice to Management

keep kids and families first

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are so easy to work with and create a fun, accepting culture. The focus on children and families gives great satisfaction to know your hard work is going to better America.

Cons

More opportunities to advance career - they need to expand!

Advice to Management

Doing a good job - just keep listening to the employees