Boys Town Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The focus on children and families gives great satisfaction to know your hard work is going to better America (in 16 reviews)

• They have really good benefits, the people are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Stressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program (in 4 reviews)

• Boys Town is a Non profit organization and does not pay well (in 6 reviews)

1. "Love it here."

Current Employee - In- Home Family Service Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - In- Home Family Service Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team effort, great communication within the department, amazing benefits, great salary, casual wear is appropriate, our safety is always the department’s top concern.

Cons

There is never going to be a set schedule for when you are going to work. It’s based off the needs of your clients.

Advice to Management

A bump in pay would be nice, although not necessary to keep your employees. But, a continued learning experience, maybe once a month, to keep all the skills necessary for the job fresh in our minds.

2. "Amazing place to work with youth"

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Boys Town (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing support, endless opportunities. The staff are great.

Cons

It can be tiring working with 6-8 youth

Advice to Management

Keep up the support!

3. "Assistant Family Teacher"

Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, they are all team player. Great homes to work in, with a good environment. Good benefits. Everyone is working to better the youth we work with.

Cons

The seven homes are closing. they are shutting down an well oiled community that have helped over thirty five hundred youth in the past twenty six years.

4. "Youth Worker"

I worked at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Helping youth improve social skills.

Cons

Poor management and poor leadership team.

Advice to Management

Replace current management with younger innovative thinkers.

5. "Family Teacher"

Current Employee - Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE
    Current Employee - Family Teacher in Boys Town, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

-So rewarding
    -the toughest youth will touch your heart the most
    -great community feels like family

Cons

-Pay isn't the best but that's definitely not why we are here
    -long hours since this is your life not a job

Advice to Management

-Pay Increase

6. "Love the kids, but not the people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, RI

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring for children with traumatic pasts
    Faith Based
    Salary + Living Expenses are covered as Family Teachers
    Watching children progress overtime
    Having a budget to do fun things with the kids, because they deserve it! :)

Cons

Family Teachers are not given the appreciation or respect they deserve
    Everyone else will take the credit when something great happens, but when something negative occurs, it is always put on the Family Teachers
    Lack of time off is a real issue! Only two 8 hour periods of time off twice a week, and after briefing it is more like 7.
    The children can have serious behavioral issues that can challenge your patience, especially when you have your own child or baby that you need to protect. And especially when you're overtired from not having enough time off.
    People are always telling you to do something different, and then when you try what they say and it fails, they treat you as if you came up with the idea, and then give feedback to you as if you were wrong.

Advice to Management

Please show more appreciation to the Family Teachers. Please work on communication, so that everyone is dealing with the children the same. Please find a way to give Family Teachers more time off (perhaps assistants come in for just 2 overnights a week, rather working a 5 day work week).

7. "Family Teacher"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Chance to impact lives of families and children.

Cons

Administration is lacking in both vision and leadership.

"Only if you need a check"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of parking, company card to cover expenses so you don't have to wait to be reimbursed

Cons

Management relies heavily on personal opinion and "gut feelings" when dealing with the lives of disadvantaged youth. Objectivity is extremely lacking. The company emphasizes "accepting feedback" however when ethics concerns arise around service provision you’re more likely to be ostracized and reprimanded for pointing this out. While I come qualified with education and experience to work in the human service field this is not necessary for a position here. Boys Town emphasizes their 2 week crash course that you must attend in Omaha, Nebraska where they will attempt to cram the treatment model. (During my training one of the instructors thought it was okay to tell a story about an African-American male teaching to a youth about why it was not okay to use a well-known racial slur while she herself used the racial slur. I still do not know why this person thought that this was okay. Also, when reviewing the benefits for the position in Nebraska we were told that it was cheaper for women to have a baby rather than be covered for birth control. Two statements lacking sensitivity/cultural-sensitivity delivered to a room of new-hires.) The biggest issue that arises, if you choose to work here, is that you quickly learn that their CBT approach does nothing to address the systemic issues that the clients they choose to serve face especially in the District of Columbia. The company is data driven instead of client centered. Their primary concern is that certain assessments are in the system within "x" amount of days and not whether or not realistic goals are set. This basically means that you just have to put anything in there so that their numbers are where they want them to be. Meeting the person where they are completely goes against the model. The program requires out of home placement for at least a year for the youth to generalize the teachings however they attempt to jam this in within 60 to 120 days. A service MUST be put into the youth's life within 14 days of admittance whether or not they come in with services or if they're even necessary. There is no consideration for the environmental factors that confront the youth and their families. The belief that you have to throw a “service” or a "resource" at an issue will produce lasting results is rampant. It’s a cookie cutter model.
    Other issues arose around a lack of on-site training and supervision. While you are supposed to meet with your supervisor weekly to continue learning the model I did not. Upon my arrival my supervisor repeatedly told me that they did not know what they were doing and they started learning the position when I did. In 6 months I can count on 1 hand the number of times that I met with my supervisor to learn anything. You’re completely on your own if you choose to come here is my only take-away and the sad thing is that the 3 people over you aren’t doing anything themselves. You can attempt to go to them for answers but none of them can agree or no one wants to be the one to give you the wrong answer. The leadership staff is not supportive and show little sign that they communicate on all levels. Within 2 weeks of my start date at my location I reached out to HR to speak with someone about my concerns and did not receive any aid. I would reach out several times over 6 months and even filed an ethics review complaint with the national headquarters for any kind of support for the several incidences that arose ni my time on campus. Instead of support I was lambasted for what had not been done (despite the fact that I had been reaching out over the course of 6 months for any kind of help all the way up to the highest on site office.). This site does not care about new hires especially not if you are knowledgeable in your field. The majority of the campus in the main office has been there well over 6 years and some in the double digits. They “can do no wrong” and they protect each other accordingly. The persons holdiong leadership positions in the company most likely began their career in human services at Boys Town and only know the Boys Town Model and not what the youth of the city actually face. They’re constantly trying to place a square peg into a round hole. If you choose to come to Boys Town it should only be because you’re fresh out of school and have no experience outside of internships and you need experience working with children. It is not a place for long term growth especially if you are an MSW, MFT, LPC or anything of the sort. Get your year in and GO!

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves on the population that you're attempting to serve. Your personal opinions on parenting has no place here.

9. "Not very welcoming"

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is enjoyable and rewarding

Cons

Gossip and tearing down of others is passively ignored

Advice to Management

Get back to the mission and dont allow toxic

10. "Helping kids and staff learn best practices."

Current Employee - Family Home Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Family Home Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible job, mostly good people you will work with. Company has lasted over 100 years. You see positive change in kids and families. Very organized and support driven. Tones of development.

Cons

Don't pay worth unless you stick around over 10 years. High stress, work home life is not good. On-call and off work every 14 days. Management is a bit clucky but mostly normal. Funding, funding, funding is getting low and government does not help with contracts for decent balance. You won't get rich.

Advice to Management

Overall, pretty good except leading who paid their way to be in management. Everyone does their jobs well; however, Gossiping of firing or forced resignations.