Boys Town Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.2
Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The focus on children and families gives great satisfaction to know your hard work is going to better America (in 16 reviews)

• They have really good benefits, the people are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Stressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program (in 4 reviews)

• Boys Town is a Non profit organization and does not pay well (in 6 reviews)

1. "Assistant Family Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team oriented atmosphere. Everyone gets and gives feedback. Some days can be very chill depending on how the kids go.

Cons

The hours can be long sometimes. Kids will test your patience sometimes.

"Only if you need a check"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of parking, company card to cover expenses so you don't have to wait to be reimbursed

Cons

Management relies heavily on personal opinion and "gut feelings" when dealing with the lives of disadvantaged youth. Objectivity is extremely lacking. The company emphasizes "accepting feedback" however when ethics concerns arise around service provision you’re more likely to be ostracized and reprimanded for pointing this out. While I come qualified with education and experience to work in the human service field this is not necessary for a position here. Boys Town emphasizes their 2 week crash course that you must attend in Omaha, Nebraska where they will attempt to cram the treatment model. (During my training one of the instructors thought it was okay to tell a story about an African-American male teaching to a youth about why it was not okay to use a well-known racial slur while she herself used the racial slur. I still do not know why this person thought that this was okay. Also, when reviewing the benefits for the position in Nebraska we were told that it was cheaper for women to have a baby rather than be covered for birth control. Two statements lacking sensitivity/cultural-sensitivity delivered to a room of new-hires.) The biggest issue that arises, if you choose to work here, is that you quickly learn that their CBT approach does nothing to address the systemic issues that the clients they choose to serve face especially in the District of Columbia. The company is data driven instead of client centered. Their primary concern is that certain assessments are in the system within "x" amount of days and not whether or not realistic goals are set. This basically means that you just have to put anything in there so that their numbers are where they want them to be. Meeting the person where they are completely goes against the model. The program requires out of home placement for at least a year for the youth to generalize the teachings however they attempt to jam this in within 60 to 120 days. A service MUST be put into the youth's life within 14 days of admittance whether or not they come in with services or if they're even necessary. There is no consideration for the environmental factors that confront the youth and their families. The belief that you have to throw a “service” or a "resource" at an issue will produce lasting results is rampant. It’s a cookie cutter model.
    Other issues arose around a lack of on-site training and supervision. While you are supposed to meet with your supervisor weekly to continue learning the model I did not. Upon my arrival my supervisor repeatedly told me that they did not know what they were doing and they started learning the position when I did. In 6 months I can count on 1 hand the number of times that I met with my supervisor to learn anything. You’re completely on your own if you choose to come here is my only take-away and the sad thing is that the 3 people over you aren’t doing anything themselves. You can attempt to go to them for answers but none of them can agree or no one wants to be the one to give you the wrong answer. The leadership staff is not supportive and show little sign that they communicate on all levels. Within 2 weeks of my start date at my location I reached out to HR to speak with someone about my concerns and did not receive any aid. I would reach out several times over 6 months and even filed an ethics review complaint with the national headquarters for any kind of support for the several incidences that arose ni my time on campus. Instead of support I was lambasted for what had not been done (despite the fact that I had been reaching out over the course of 6 months for any kind of help all the way up to the highest on site office.). This site does not care about new hires especially not if you are knowledgeable in your field. The majority of the campus in the main office has been there well over 6 years and some in the double digits. They “can do no wrong” and they protect each other accordingly. The persons holdiong leadership positions in the company most likely began their career in human services at Boys Town and only know the Boys Town Model and not what the youth of the city actually face. They’re constantly trying to place a square peg into a round hole. If you choose to come to Boys Town it should only be because you’re fresh out of school and have no experience outside of internships and you need experience working with children. It is not a place for long term growth especially if you are an MSW, MFT, LPC or anything of the sort. Get your year in and GO!

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves on the population that you're attempting to serve. Your personal opinions on parenting has no place here.

"Foster Family Supervisor"

Former Employee - Foster Family Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Foster Family Supervisor in Washington, DC

Pros

Pay, benefits, set your own schedule, there are no other pros

Cons

Poor supervision and management, no one knows whats going on, except the social workers working with the families, but management is unsupportive

"If you can manage stress with extending a helping hand this is your Organization"

Former Employee - Assistant Family Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits; Helping Youth Children and Families.

Cons

Stressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR STAFF….