Boys & Girls Clubs Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 26, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Cons of working at the BGC is that its only part-time (in 41 reviews)

• Inefficient flow of communication from upper management to employees (in 31 reviews)

1. "Great work despite wages."

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time

Pros

Working with youth, training opportunities, and engaging programs to join.

Cons

Tons of programming requirement with varying support and compensation.

2. "Giving back"

Former Employee - Facilities Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Facilities Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing leadership, amazing staff & an amazing organization!

Cons

It is a nonprofit. Obviously, working for a nonprofit is NOT about getting rich. One is asked to sacrifice their spare time on occasion.(This isn't a "con" to me. I am compelled to inform the interested that this is what nonprofits are about if one chooses to work for this type of organization. Simply put, this isn't about you. It is about the children.)

Advice to Management

Maintain the open door policy.

3. "My experience at this club has been horrible but working with the kids could be a great opportunities all ages"

Former Employee - Art Instructor in Carrollton, GA
    Former Employee - Art Instructor in Carrollton, GA

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very close to college and it looks good on your resume for education majors. Experience and location, pay isn't bad if your a college student, some managers are flexible with college students. Very easy job, field trips, cultural based events throughout the year

Cons

Management is always bad. First boss that hired me. Was married with kids attending use to touch inappropriately on all female staff in addition My money will also be missing in almost every paycheck without me knowing, my second box here at the Boys and Girls Club showed favoritism to a few of the staff for an entire year buying them food and stuff for the club that they would not read ,salary needs to be higher for the kids we worked with, organization , too far from other clubs so you will lose opportunities and events the metro area clubs are having,

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff about concerns and issues one on one and not through email! Keep it professional with relationships and when it comes down to money.

4. "Youth Enrichment Specialist"

Current Employee - Youth Development Specialist in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Youth Development Specialist in Akron, OH

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work
    Great experience
    Kids are amazing

Cons

Pay
    No appreciate to employees
    Not flexible schedule

5. "Challenging"

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organization does great work for kids
    Front line staff are passionate individuals who are energized and fun to be around

Cons

Frequent leadership transitions
    Staff are not invested in, trained, or set up for success
    Difficult to grow and develop professional in an environment of dysfunction

Advice to Management

Make improvements to ensure your staff have what they need to be successful at their jobs

6. "Great potential, complete disappointment."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Local clubs provide a great opportunity to support kids and teens. So many national partnerships with so much money from national donors.

Cons

National office is completely disorganized and poorly managed. High turnover and terrible morale in every department. Unethical financial practices and misuse of funds. Disconnected to what is happening in clubs, poor communication, and terrible follow through. Old boys club and years of experience in senior leadership instead of good leadership training. Seems like everything is just for show with no substance. It looks like they are making a big difference but no one can tell you how outside of number of kids served (which is completely padded with no way to accurately report). Data and evaluation is poorly collected and not accurate of true experience. No voices are valued at any level. (And no use of the Oxford comma!)

Advice to Management

1) Stick to a decision or leadership approach and follow it through: constantly shifting priorities with poor change management leads to confusion and frustration with committed staff and high turnover with newer staff.
    2) Hire very skilled consultants to completely overall internal processes and management: HR is very poorly managed with no confidentiality or true support and there is no consistency across teams or departments. No matter how many times or ways you ask someone to report something, it holds no meaning if it is disconnected from what they are really working on. Just eliminate 50-75% of national staff and start over with all new positions and purposes.
    3) Invest in technology: dinosaurs in technology despite claiming national leadership for kids and teens in completely digital generation.
    4) Practice what you preach: core values are a joke and hold no meaning when they are not followed. If focus is on kids, show that in your work and financial decisions. Treat local and national staff the way you want the kids to be treated.

7. "It has potential"

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time

Pros

It has some really nice people working there.

Cons

Not good with follow through and very disorganized

8. "Poor Training and Poor Managers"

Former Employee - Development Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Development Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The thought that you are helping children achieve their goals in life and providing them with an opportunity to learn in a safe and clean environment.

Cons

Quick to let people go despite not giving them proper training and lying about job descriptions prior to hiring them.

Advice to Management

Higher ups should have to learn the software they require their employees to master. If not they render themselves useless as supervisors. Also, HR should have a better handle on the hiring process and not allow the supervisors to make up those own job descriptions that do not match the actual work that is required for the position. Also, if it is agreed that training will be provided then an official training process should be created and vetted by HR before a department is able to hire someone on.

9. "TA"

Pros

Great staff, friendly people and environment

Cons

The hours might sometimes be long

10. "FUN BUT..."

Former Employee - Site Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Site Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the kids, Your day is always different and always a challenge but I couldn't have ask for any better time then spending my morning and afternoon with these kids.

Cons

Lack of Support and the amount of work for lack of pay and if there is no school. There is no work.

Advice to Management

Need to support staff better