KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Is this your company?

Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Add a Review

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

Found 83 of over 2,016 reviews

3.8
Boys & Girls Clubs of America President Jim Clark
Jim Clark
Pros
  • "Working with community, working with kids(in 113 reviews)

• "Ability to make a difference to at-risk youth(in 64 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not too many hours for these part time positions(in 64 reviews)

• "Lower pay due to being a non-profit organization(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Boys & Girls Clubs of America and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great

Oct 2, 2019 - Youth Development Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with my schedule and part-time staff were great.

Cons

Directors didn't care as much as YDS

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stepping stone

Jan 24, 2021 - Supervisor in Bakersfield, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Educational experience Good part-time job for people who need a job

Cons

No benefits Lack of communication Bad management

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great if you like kids! Definitley in need of more staff.

Aug 11, 2020 - Elementary Education Coordinator in Goshen, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Creating and running fun yet educational programming that kids enjoy. Offers PTO to part time staff. Great place if you are hoping to continue your education or move up in the company.

Cons

Always short on staff, which made it more difficult to accomplish everything needed in one day. Pay can be decent compared to a lot of jobs but considering it is not a full time position, it can make things difficult.

4. 4.0

good while in school

Nov 10, 2020 - Facilitator
      Business Outlook

Pros

community, family, kids, work/life balance

Cons

part-time, no hours, can be unorganized

5. 4.0

After school care

Sep 22, 2020 - Site Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, No weekends, Fun, Nice management, Fats onboarding, Clear job duties

Cons

Short hours No growth opportunity Part time hours only

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Working with kids can wear on you

Jun 13, 2020 - AmeriCorps in Franklin, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- close knit group, generally younger people. In my case I was work study through college along with the rest of the part time staff.

Cons

- The kids typically are well behaved but some get out of hand. Its important to maintain a professional relationship with the kids- you arent their friend

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great non profit

Jun 30, 2020 - Event Manager in Olympia, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team was like a family, kids were at the heart of all decisions.

Cons

Board was tough to work with, part time staff could be paid more for their very hard work

8. 4.0

Bgcsa review

Jul 9, 2020 - Literacy Mentor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly environment and collaborations with other staff

Cons

Not too many hours for these part time positions

9. 4.0

Part Time BGC

Feb 28, 2020 - Youth Development Professional
      Business Outlook

Pros

Teamwork, passionate about children, fun, good for part time

Cons

no place to get promoted, hard to have more than one part-time job as the start times are in the middle of the day and end times are too late to get a shift somewhere else

Continue reading
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing mission that unfortunately ends up screwing direct care staff over.

May 23, 2020 - Site Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

The fact that you get to provide a safe space for youth to grow and be kids is so rewarding and so important for our communities.

Cons

The amount of responsibility I had, for the amount of pay I received was absurd. While I was working for BGCA, I always had this feeling of resentment and I didn't realize why until after I left. When I was working as a site coordinator, which is essentially the person who runs and manages a program at an off site location, I had so many responsibilities and so few hours to manage them. I had to manage and supervise my staff, I had to program plan, I had to deal with parent communication, managing child behavior (and I had many difficult behaviors, a lot of the children should not even have been allowed to be there, and this is coming from someone who's career has been working with behavioral children), I had to follow and ensure my staff was following protocols, I had to discipline, all while trying to maintain a safe and growth fostering environment... all for $17 an hour. I also was not provided with time during my scheduled work hours to manage all of these responsibilities. I will say there was never an issue with me adding hours to my time sheet for program planning, they were always happy and willing to compensate my time for the extra hours I put in, which can't be said of most organizations, however... I signed up for a part time 25 hour a week non benefited part time position and usually was putting in 30-35 and I was in school at the time, so I genuinely did not have the time and the program suffered a lot because it, and this made me feel terrible but I was not informed of the immensity of the work I would have to do outside of program hours, that is something that they need to make more clear in the hiring process. I will say that the staff there was all pretty supportive, but there expectations for a part time staff that they aren't paying super well are far too high. I'm a hard worker, but they just asked too much out of me for how much they were giving back to me. I know that they discount many memberships, and do a lot for the community but at my site kids were paying roughly $150 per week for care and our program had about 40 kids, so they were making $6,000 a week off of the program that I ran completely independently from them and I got about $350 bucks a week, that feels like short changing your staff to me. I understand there are overhead costs, but I was also aware of all of the grants and donations they received, they need to pay their staff better IMO. It's an organization that is literally run by direct care staff, so to not invest in them is to not invest in your program. Their programming suffers because they are essentially depending on the fact that people will be so emotionally fulfilled by the position that and that their fulfillment will make the job worth it, and listen I love working with children, I love being a positive person in their life, but I also have bills to pay and my own sanity to keep in check. I will say all of the management was super kind and supportive, however at the end of the day I gave so much of myself to that program, and I wasn't compensated fairly and regardless of if their mission is amazing, it's not right.

Continue reading