Boys & Girls Clubs of America "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Oct 2, 2019

3.8
Boys & Girls Clubs of America CEO Jim Clark
Jim Clark
Pros
Cons
  • "Part time employees may find split scheduling difficult due to club operating hours(in 58 reviews)

• "It is a non-profit so yes "everyone does wear multiple hats"(in 43 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great"

Former Employee - Youth Development Specialist

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time

Pros

Worked with my schedule and part-time staff were great.

Cons

Directors didn't care as much as YDS

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2019-10-02
  2. "Highly Recommend Career Path"

Current Employee - Junior Accountant in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Boys & Girls Club is a excellent place to work. There are so many opportunities and plenty of room for growth.

Cons

Part time employees may find split scheduling difficult due to club operating hours.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2019-08-07
  3. "Great part time!"

Current Employee - Teen Counselor in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great part time job to have if you are going to college and/or like working with kids.

Cons

The pay isn’t great at all.

Advice to Management

Need to pay the employees more after one year with the company

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2019-07-23
  4. "Boys & Girls Club"

Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great career building opportunity for young individuals who are looking for their first jobs.

Cons

* Low Pay * Part-Time

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2019-05-03
  5. "The kids are the best part"

Former Employee - Learning Center Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids, the ability to wear jeans, and free food.

Cons

The pay is awful, no health benefits for part time employees, little oppurtunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers who wish to bring out the best in people.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2018-10-28
  6. "Inspiring work"

I have been working at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time

Pros

BGC is committed to making the world a better place for kids and teens and it's awesome to be a part of it.

Cons

Not too sure how promotion or moving up works - not too sure if they're interested in moving part time employees up to administrative/leadership full time positions

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2018-09-27
  7. "Front desk"

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time

Pros

Ive worked for a few non-profits and this one by far is one of my favorites to work for! It had an amazing culture and everyone from part-time staff to administrative level staff are all there to really support the kids and make a bright future for them.

Cons

In my experience, there were some organization problems that needed to be confronted but other than that there really is no bad side to this job!

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2018-09-23
  8. "Site Coordinator"

Former Employee - Site Coordinator in Whittier, CA

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working for the Boys & Girls Club is very rewarding. You invest your time and passion into youth that need it most. Seeing them grow and be successful is one of the biggest pay offs and truly self rewarding and adds self value.

Cons

At the particular location I was at in Whittier, CA there wasn't much room for growth. There was this unspoken rule of keeping all positions part-time right under ACA benefit regulations in order to not provide benefits to their workers, only problem is that a lot of positions require more hours to complete the daily tasks, and execute the job duties correctly and efficiently.

Advice to Management

Specifically to Whittier, place more focus on employee morale and taking time to value those that are on the front lines working directly with the youth. A little goes a long way.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2018-08-07
  9. "Understaffed and underpaid. The new norm."

Youth Development Specialist & Receptionist

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Pros

Great place for those in or fresh out of high school to get some experience working with kids, if that's aligned with their career goals. Can fit into a school schedule if your afternoons are free. Those awesome kids who are the bees-knees. The awesome parents who are the new wonders of the world and are always there to help, donate supplies or time, back you up when their kid has done something inappropriate,... and pay their bills on time.

Cons

Some parents use and abuse the clubs as a discount--or free if they avoid paying their bills--babysitting service. They drop off their kids and drive off before you can do anything about it. This is more something that reception and full-time staff deals with, but I do think it has a negative impact on the children involved and staff morale. If you already have experience working with kids, the "curriculum" and... training workshops might be a snooze fest for you. Over my 2-year stint with them I think I endured the same professional development trainings 3-4 times. We were asked to do a lot with little to no staff, financial, or resource support. Just restocking the first aid kit always seemed to be a financial burden, much less getting supplies for art and science projects. Colleagues come in a wide range of competence. Once, I walked in on another staff playing video games while the kids sat and watched. He considered this to be an "activity". While I and other staff would spend hours putting together forensics labs on our own time, with our own money, he played video games. And we were paid at the same hourly rate. Though the company policy is 1 staff to 25 kids, that ratio was often... optimistic. Seemed to be an awkward "us and them" fmentality between part-time and full-time staff. There seemed to be a lot of company events in which the full-time staff were knowledgeable of, but little or no effort was given to notifying part-time staff. I was often doing my boss' job, just without the salary and benefits. It was quickly apparent he had no idea what he was doing the majority of the time or he was outright neglecting his duties and I had to pick up the slack. Don't expect consistent hours. I was working 35 hours a week. I went to work on a normal Monday, and suddenly my hours were cut to 10 a week due to budget issues. So I filled my time with other jobs. Then a few months later they began asking me to pick up additional hours because they were understaffed. At that point, I couldn't as I had already picked up other jobs to supplement my lost hours. I endured a lot of verbal abuse from disgruntled parents and kids while working at reception. Which is fine to a degree. I get that people are sometimes sensitive where money and child-rearing is concerned. But the emotional stress wasn't worth the depressingly low pay.

Advice to Management

Give your staff the resources and the paid prep time they need to actually deliver the programming you boast about in the programming catalogs! I felt like a fraud when I would tell parents about our programs, because I knew we weren't delivering the caliber of programming we advertised. Admin should spend more time on site and actually take notice of the staff who are going above the call of duty to really cater... to these kids and provide them with an enriching experience. At first, I really wanted to grow within this organization, and I gave it my all. But the lack of employee support really made it beyond difficult and exhausting. Give staff the opportunity to be more involved in the organization. My city clubs hosted a gala fundraiser every year but I couldn't afford the expensive ticket price to attend. Maybe discounted tickets for staff or something? THERE SHOULD ALWAYS BE 2 STAFF AT THE FRONT DESK. Seriously, it's a huge safety concern. I can't tell you how often I wished I had someone else at the front desk while I dealt with emergencies, injuries, phone calls, hordes of parents, strangers who would waltz into the club and past the front desk, etc. Also, update security features at the clubs. Perhaps reception should be between the front door and a second set of auto-lock doors, since only staff and youth members are allowed beyond the front desk anyway.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2018-08-27
  10. "Project Learn"

Former Employee - Project Learn in Venice, FL

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs of America part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great kids, parents and coworkers. Loved the job! I miss the kids and crew.

Cons

Part-time and a great job for a retired teacher, Math for middle school was mostly where the kids needed help.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America2018-06-04