Bozzuto Reviews | Glassdoor

Bozzuto President and CEO Toby S. Bozzuto
Toby S. Bozzuto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is non existent" (in 34 reviews)

• "You might as well retitle the name to, "Property Manager Assistant"" (in 42 reviews)

"Looking Forward to Growing with Bozzuto"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Competitive commission (depending on your property)
    -They live out their culture
    -Smooth and professional onboarding experience
    -Lots of room for growth (transfer, promotions, etc.)
    -Opportunities for overtime
    -Large company resources but small company attitude towards employees
    -Healthcare is affordable (I don't use this benefit though)
    -Hours can be flexible
    -Strong company performance
    -Decent PTO accrual
    -Generous tuition reimbursement
    -High-end portfolio (mostly)

Cons

-The 401(k) match is below average. I would open your own IRA to supplement.
    -Yes, you work weekends (but this where you get most of your leases)
    -Cannot take PTO until 90 days in
    -Dress code can be old school depending on the property - hard to keep up at times with an SMA salary

Advice to Management

Not much...maybe relax dress code more and increase 401(k) match to standard 3%

2. "Property Manager"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

Great Compensation for my position

Cons

I love everything about my position

3. "Flexibility"

Current Employee - Software Administrator in Bushwood, MD
    Current Employee - Software Administrator in Bushwood, MD

I have been working at Bozzuto part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bozzuto is a great company. They are unique in that they have offered me the ability to work remotely after my relocation. They think out of the box. Pay and benefits are great.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that they do not offer their part time workers dental insurance.

Sep 13, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

Wow! More than 10 years of employment with Bozzuto – that’s great! It is truly wonderful to hear your story and that you have been afforded the opportunity to work remotely. It is great that... More

4. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bozzuto will give you the opportunity to take on more responsibility. They expect you to work hard and reward you appropriately. I've always found that Bozzuto higher-ups treat other employees no differently.

Cons

401k match is very low.

Sep 13, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

First, thank you for your more than 5 years of employment with Bozzuto! It is great to hear you mention that you can be more responsible and that you appreciate how you are treated by our senior... More

5. "Working for a winner!"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company in so many ways. Big shout out to Zuzel, class act from start to finish. The Bozzuto experience started with my recruiter. The most amazing hiring experience. After doing extensive online research to find the right company, Bozzuto was it. A company getting great reviews from their residents, former & current employees is unheard of. I knew then I wanted to work for Bozzuto.

Cons

None. Company understands it's residents & it's employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Sep 11, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

We are so thrilled to receive another 5-star review! I can hear your enthusiasm about Bozzuto being the right company for you. We are so proud to hear you mention how Zuzel assisted you with the... More

6. "Ecstatic to begin my career with Bozzuto!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could not me any more excited to begin my career with Bozzuto here in the Chicago.

I must give kudos to the HR department and managers as the interview and onboarding process was unparalleled to any other I have experienced in my career. The process overall was one of the best I have ever experienced (thorough, detailed and very informative).

My recruiter ensured my questions were always answered and that I remained comfortable throughout the process. The thought and care that was put into the interview process is a clear demonstration of the company’s core values and culture.

Cons

No cons, the company has exceptional benefits and compensates competitively.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Bozzuto is a company that stands alone in our industry as no other company compares.

7. "Sales and Marketing Associate"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

Love the staff, environment, and residents

Cons

Depending on the property the hours could be a little in the way

Sep 6, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

Thanks for your thoughts. We are happy to hear you are enjoying where you work! Thanks for being a part of the Bozzuto team!

8. "Best management company I have worked for."

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits - Growth Potential - Upper management communication and assistance - Feeling your value as an employee

Cons

growth training not just on boarding training

Sep 6, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

“Best management company I have worked for” is quite a statement! Thanks for the kudos! It is fantastic to hear that you feel valued as an employee. I’d love to hear your ideas about the growth... More

"Property Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company - professional. They promote from within.

Cons

No loyalty to their employees

Sep 13, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you mentioning our professional, promote from within environment. I’m dismayed to hear your loyalty comment. If there is something we can do to change... More

"Something NEEDS to change"

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate

I worked at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent introduction to real estate industry, made good friends during my time, building relationships with residents.

Good PTO accrual policy (however you will be made to feel guilty about using it)

Cons

First off, let me start by saying how confused I am by all the glowing reviews on here! The few critical reviews I read were far more indicative of my experience at Bozzuto. Below I have expanded on some of the concerns I had, many of which echo previous employees:

1. The Basics: Pay is alright for entry level.. definitely more on the lower end though. And don't be fooled by the bonus structure its practically non-existent. PTO is generous but you are unable to actually use any time. You will be told that you must be here at least 3 weekends a month. Sick and need a day off? Too bad... if you're scheduled to work you HAVE to work. No ifs, ands or buts. Extremely toxic and controlling environment with no room for creativity. 0% Marketing maybe 5% sales (if you can even call their coercive techniques selling...) and 95% property management.

2. Favoritism: You see it everywhere at Bozzuto. Promotions are decided far ahead of time, before the position is even posted. Managers get all the praise for a property's performance when it is the SMA doing all the work. That being said, if the property performance is poor, it is ALL the SMA's fault. Bozzuto raves about its culture, but I felt as though I was back in high school on numerous occasions. Grown adults 10 years my senior gossip about their employees and if you aren't all in on Bozzuto, you will be ostracized.

Managers are on such a power trip, it truly reminds me of the Bourgeois and the Lower Class. SMA's receive little to no respect, when we are the ones working holidays, weekends, and odd hours. Managers excuses are "well we were all in your position once"... You'd think that would make them more empathetic and understanding? Not in the slightest. I understand this is what you sign on for with the job, however the way it is manipulated for the benefit of the superiors is so corrupt it sickens me.

Lastly, the men at Bozzuto whom I have interacted with lack basic morals. I have been hit on, spoken to in certain ways, and been made to feel extremely uncomfortable on more than one occasion by the men at this company. If you are standoffish or dismissive to these actions as I was, they will gossip and spread rumors in a way I have not seen since middle school.

3. Emotionally Abusive: Not only did I feel abuse from residents, but from management as well. Reading the job description I had no idea I would be yelled at on a semi-daily basis by residents for things that weren't my (or Bozzuto's) fault. Oh but wait -- the customer is ALWAYS right. This archaic mentality made me feel so incredible devalued and disrespected. The fact that Bozzuto doesn't have a system in place for these interactions is of great concern. You are expected to sit down and just take responsibility for everything. Managers pawn off all the dirty work to the SMA and often criticize them for how certain hostile situations were handled. There is no 1 way someone is "supposed" to act when being verbally abused and I think critiquing someone on what was done wrong is insensitive and demeaning. No one should be treated this way.

I can't speak to all management/ offices, but in mine you can expect to be micromanaged, and constantly criticized. The managers can do no wrong but the SMA is a babbling idiot... Many of my fellow SMA's were extremely smart, went to good colleges and were super involved. However in our positions we were made to feel like trash because we couldn't sell like robots. They do not care if you are a kind individual - all they care about is you following their rigid, cheesy sales techniques which completely lack empathy.

I left every day feeling so emotionally drained. It is the least rewarding job I have ever experienced - literally and figuratively (yeah the commission is completely non-existent) In my first job post college I hoped for a mentor, a company I could be proud of and grow with. While I don't regret my time because of the friends I've made (all of whom have left for similar reasons) I truly wish there was more clarity during the hiring process and while I was doing my research. Please anyone reading this, if you are an empathetic, creative, dynamic and excited person -- don't work here. They'll turn you into an emotionless robot.

Advice to Management

Be kind... Preach what Tom Bozzuto originally did. Give credit where credit is due and don't take credit for that of your employees. Stop micromanaging and start teaching and training your employees to grow. LISTEN to what your employees are saying and give them support and validation. Frame mistakes as a learning experience instead of a character flaw. Be empathetic and put yourselves in their shoes... don't treat us like second class citizens. Please.