Bozzuto Reviews | Glassdoor

Bozzuto President and CEO Toby S. Bozzuto
Toby S. Bozzuto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Company focuses on work life balance though so that makes up for commissions structure (in 29 reviews)

• I did not love working weekends (in 37 reviews)

1. "Amazing company to work for..."

Former Employee - Concierge in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Concierge in Boston, MA

I worked at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Environment
    Great Pay
    Benefits
    Opportunity for growth

Cons

No Cons. It's truly a great company

2. "Concierge"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

It is an amazing company that cares about it's employees and is great to work for. A powerhouse company.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. They truly go out of their way to show all employees that they care about them.

3. "good place to work"

Pros

growth and salary is good

Cons

over work employees and favoritism

"Great Benefits, So-So Work/Life Balance, Almost No Autonomy"

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits at an affordable price, ample training and development opportunities for on-site employees, nice amount of PTO, beautiful communities that really care about making their residents happy.

Cons

On-site employees are required to work most weekends, and schedules change from week to week, making it difficult to have a personal/family life or plan anything out more than a week or so in advance. PTO is generous, but getting coverage in order to take those days can be like pulling teeth. Sales bonuses are based less on employee sales performance than they are the overall property budget, and end up being lower than other companies in the industry. 401(k) match is laughable compared to other employers in the industry.

On-site employees are also not offered much autonomy, and things must be done "by the book" regardless of whether those strategies actually appeal to a specific community's clientele. No room for personality on-site, with everything needing to fit Bozzuto Branding. Limited personal affects allowed on desks, strict dress code, and boilerplate questions/language that must be used on the phone/on tours regardless of associates' actual rapport with the prospect/resident. No year-end bonuses for on-site employees.

Advice to Management

Trust your on-site employees to know what works for their communities and prospect/residents. As long as no one is violating fair housing, on-site employees should be given the freedom to express their individuality rather than just push the Bozzuto Brand. Living in a community isn't just about the amenities and resident events- but feeling like you have a place where you belong.

Tie bonuses to actual employee performance (a stable dollar amount based on number of homes leased/lease length, rather than operating costs that these employees have no control over). Consider offering year-end bonuses, as every other employer I've ever worked for in this industry has. Base employee evaluations on actual results achieved and/or prospect & resident satisfaction with the employee, rather than whether specific questions were asked/phrases were mentioned during a shop.

Allow communities to manage their own schedules without arbitrary weekday/weekend requirements. A stable Sun-Thurs/Mon-Sat schedule could work better for some communities. This would make sure there is always weekend coverage, but allow employees to plan ahead instead of having a rotating schedule that changes every single month. (Side note on scheduling: the convenience of leaving an hour early on Fridays isn't quite as convenient when we have to arrive an hour earlier in the morning.)

Overall, Bozzuto tries to do good by its employees, but corporate forgets what it is like to work on-site. As much as we may love being Bozzuto employees, we're also individuals with lives, interests, and ideas beyond the company and its branding. Remember that your on-site team members are the lifeblood of BMC, and the more we enjoy working at our communities, the more our residents will enjoy living here.

5. "Corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good Salary, benefits
    -Nice perks and hours

Cons

-I do not feel comfortable with my coworkers, they have said mean things that made me feel like I am not qualified to be here
    -I do not feel like a valued part of the team, I am ignored
    -No Growth

Jan 11, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you enjoy your salary, benefits, perks and hours. I am concerned to hear that your colleagues have been mean and you do not feel a part of your... More

6. "All Properties are not Equal"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The properties themselves have a nice atmosphere. Some of the higher-ups are approachable and supportive. The company has a good reputation among its customers.

Cons

Your abilities as a manager have very little to do with whether or not you get to receive your year end bonus. Also, do not work at a property that doesn't have a concierge. You are expected to do the same quality of work as those that do have concierges (or those that have bigger budgets). I am all for equal treatment of employees, but you're not really treating employees equally when you expect Sam and Sally to both do an A+ job...while Sam's test is more difficult. It is also one of those company's that makes you scared to say "Christmas."

Advice to Management

Offer year end bonus possibilities that individuals can realistically work to achieve. Foster an environment that is supportive and genuinely attentive to the needs of individual regions and individual properties.

Jan 11, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are glad to hear you enjoy your work atmosphere. I will be happy to pass your insights along to our senior leadership team regarding bonus... More

7. "Maintenance Technician"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

-Great environment, friendly staff, easy work and easy to get promoted wherein there is plenty opportunities.

Cons

-Not enough dedication to teaching more skills, no on-site positions available for buildings that residents can benefit from, expensive buildings that don't make living on site easy with on 20% discount

Advice to Management

Give back more to employees and you'll get twice as much back in return

Jan 11, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

Thank you for your review. It’s always wonderful to hear from our maintenance team members! It is nice to hear you enjoy your work atmosphere, friendly team, and recognize the promotional... More

8. "GREAT!"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

Great place to work! My coworkers are very nice and friendly, and always willing to help. The hours are pretty good, and they offer a great salary/ benefits package.

Cons

None so far! I have enjoyed my time at Bozzuto

Jan 3, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

Thank you for taking time to write a review. It's wonderful to hear you are enjoying so many aspects of working with the company! Thank you for being a member of the Bozzuto team!

9. "Great Company to work for but....."

Current Employee - Resident Concierge in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Resident Concierge in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Bozzuto part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent. I love the professionalism.

Cons

As a part time employee, we get no benefits except accruing pto. I feel like we get overlooked and unappreciated because we only work on weekends mostly. We are apart of the bozzuto team as well and should be appreciated more.

Advice to Management

Give the part time employees more benefits such as discounts or clothing allowances. I work for bozzuto for over a year and I do work and have contributed to the success of both properties I have worked at.

"Corporate isn't all that it's cracked up to be"

Pros

At this point, there truly are not many pros to working in the corporate office located in Greenbelt, Maryland aside from a M-F gig.

Cons

There is more turnover of employees in the corporate office than ever before. The accounting department alone has had more turnover the past year than the current political administration.

Each department provides little to no opportunities for growth or development at the corporate level. There tends to be a lack of structure within the departments that would allow for promotion/growth opportunities, especially within the Accounting, HR and Marketing departments.

The office is relatively new but space is limited. Employees are forced to practically sit side by side as if working in a sweatshop and aren't granted the opportunity to work remotely. Senior leadership is very old school and feel employees should be in the office everyday.

The overall office space is poorly managed with limited bathroom space and broken microwaves in the cafe/lounge area. Cold water only in most of the bathrooms to wash your hands.

Advice to Management

A major reboot is needed to be made at the corporate level. Out with the old school, conservative manners of managing a corporate office and get up to date with the trends and the time. Perhaps it's time for the old white men to step aside and provide a more diverse group of individuals to manage the corporate office.

It's a shame that even smaller competitors "get it" when it comes to their corporate employees, offering flexibility with regards to work schedules and telecommuting. Also, as the company grows, more opportunities should be made available to grow ones career.

Bozzuto also needs to take a good look at their compensation packages. It's one of the only companies that does nor offer any type of bonus opportunity for its corporate employees. Yet they don't even offer a higher salary to compensate for the difference within the markets/industries. Stop being so cheap just to line the pockets of senior leadership. This is a major reason why there is a high amount of turnover at the corporate level.

Senior leadership has stated that if it's more money an employee is seeking then they don't belong in the organization and they prefer happy employees who take pride in their work. Well unfortunately happiness and pride don't pay the bills.

Overall the company is very cheap and conservative with great progress to be made to not only retain current employees but also attract new talent. If the company truly plans to expand, you may want to first take a good hard look around the corporate office and make some major changes.

We have seen a good amount of turnover already and that's just the beginning of changes aren't made.