Bozzuto Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Bozzuto President and CEO Toby S. Bozzuto
Toby S. Bozzuto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, upper management makes themselves available for everyone, great work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• There is a lot of room for growth (in 17 reviews)

Cons

1. "Sales and Marketing Associate"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people, fun work environment

Cons

low bonus compensation, work culture, small team, very little support from upper management , work weekends

Advice to Management

follow through on promises.

"A better than industry average employer"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, great benefits, decent paid time off allowances, lots of room for growth. An opportunity to work with some genuinely great people, co-worker and residents alike at beautiful properties. Bozzuto really does have great company values and by-and-by they treat their employees well--higher than the industry standard, I believe.

Cons

Some managers don't know their own properties. They delegate only. I'm a firm believer that you should lead by example, and when you don't fully know how to do the jobs of the staff directly below you, there is no way for you to do this.

Like a lot of office environments, the atmosphere can become cliquey and in the instances I've seen, the problem with this usually stems directly from upper management because they allow it to come to a head before addressing it.

You're salaried, and as such are paid for 40 hours a week, yet more often than not you end up working far over 40 hours per week without receiving additional compensation. I realize this is a problem with corporate America in general, but I think that Bozzuto, as a company, is better than this and doing a disservice to their employees. Pay us for the hours we work. Yes, I know upper management is also salaried and they often put in overtime that goes unpaid, but they also make 2-3 times more than Sales and Marketing Associates do. If we're sick for the day, take vacation, or have to leave work early, we have to use paid time off or go unpaid. Is it so hard to pay us extra when we stay 6-7 hours a week after the office is closed, working hard, getting leases, and taking care of our residents? I don't think so.

Advice to Management

Pay us for the time we put in. If we work over 40 hours a week, pay us time and a half. We work hard for Bozzuto and property ownership. When we stay late it's not because we've been slacking off all day, it's because we're going that extra mile to take that tour that walked in 5 minutes before the office closed. We're getting new leases and making the company more money. Or, more often than not, we're staying late to take care of the residents that already reside at our property. We stay an hour late when that resident comes in as we're closing with a list of complaints. We stay late to ensure that all of those after work emails coming in from residents who need work orders put in are taken care of. We work hard to ensure that the standards Bozzuto (and those standards are gold, I may add) sets are always being maintained, so pay us accordingly.

Extend the employee rent discount to ALL Bozzuto properties and stop limiting it to only the property that you work at. Not all employees can afford to live at their property, even with the discount. If you get a promotion you have to move at the end of your lease or you lose your rent discount. Why make us move? Moving isn't fun! Come on, we're a real estate company and HR should realize this and modify the discount policy accordingly. The discount is a huge perk and benefit, so make it universal at any and all Bozzuto managed properties. Having lots of employees living on site is a good thing, so it should be encouraged and made easier for all!

3. "Regional"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Growing pains as company builds support to assist teams.

Sep 5, 2017 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

How delightful to hear you have been with the company for more than 5-years! We appreciate your service to the company. Here's to another 5+ years for you!

"Sales and Marketing at Flats 170......"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Odenton, MD
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Odenton, MD

I worked at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Corporate culture and training at the headquarters was very transparent in helping me become educated in the sales and marketing of homes and becoming a leasing professional. I was excited to learn about the industry. Also I loved the recruitment team! They were very thorough and welcoming! Great team! I am very thankful to them for seeing something in me that made them believe that I was a good fit for the role. I am forever grateful as this experience has taught me a lot about myself and gave me a good overall impression of Bozzuto. Also the other Sales and Marketing Associate at the Flats 170 helped me learn about the leasing profession too, even though she was new to the industry just like me. I loved the support. Great benefits. Ultimately this experience made me realize what I really wanted to do in my career and future endeavors.

Cons

Sink or swim seemed to be the modus operandi. I get it, it does take a while to learn a new industry but if you're diligent and efficient and want to grow in-role then make sure you use the tools to grow. However, the property that I worked at is a very busy and seemingly understaffed for the amount of traffic, level of expectations, and work load. The function plan for the property was lacking in relation to the amount of traffic that this property saw and we were not in the least prepared in my opinion to meet the demands of existing residents, future residents, contractors, and the overall ebbs and flows of the business. The hours were all over the place and not conducive to work life balance. Overall I left because the corporate culture and the reality of the day to day did not align and translate on site at the property. I think that the sales and marketing position is a good role but training needs to be more thorough and realistic so that associates who are completely new to the industry are more prepared in their roles. Also the pay structure was low. Coming from a customer service management role, I took a pay decrease as a Sales and Marketing Associate.

Advice to Management

Find a way to translate and incorporate corporate culture and training into the everyday aspects of the sales and marketing role. Although the property manager Haley was great and very tenured, I felt like a ship without a paddle at the Flats 170. Beautiful properties at Bozzuto however focus on taking care of growing your people with better training structure and perhaps the talent that you onboard will be retained.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative, family oriented, fun, engaging

Cons

weekend hours, sometimes taking time off is hard

Aug 29, 2017 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

Thank you for that 5-star review! We do realize weekend work can be difficult for some; however, that is the life of a hospitality professional. Weekend hours can be an opportunity for you to get... More

6. "Amazing Experience!"

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bozzuto's values are instilled in their employees from the beginning and it is evident through the hiring process that they really do hire people that fit the company culture and values of concern, creativity, passion & perfection. My team was always there to support me when I needed help and were always pushing me toward new feats. I appreciated my experience with the company and am happy to have been a part of such an amazing group of people.

Cons

They are a great company to work for that really cares for their employees.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all of your amazing work.

Aug 22, 2017 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review. It is fantastic to hear that you saw our values at practice in our everyday work and that your team was supportive of you. Good luck in your new... More

7. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, plenty of resources, solid benefits, ability to try new things (move around the company)

Cons

Lots of ways to end up in a silo, doesn't pay exceptionally well (but it's not bad either).

Aug 15, 2017 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your feedback and are pleased that you enjoy the people, benefits and growth potential. We are glad to have you on our team!

8. "Assistant property manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promotion from within. Good training.

Cons

Poorly compensated. 401k is weak. Bozzuto only matches up to 1.5% regardless of how much you contribute over 3%. This doesn't put employees first, it shows that the company is not interested in the future of their employees. Almost every company, *even small businesses*, at least match their employees contribution up to 5 or 10%.

Advice to Management

Please look out for your employees. We are the ones who earned Bozzuto the best property management company title for 3 years in a row.

Sep 5, 2017 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

We appreciate your feedback. It is nice to hear that you recognize the promotional opportunities within the company. I will be sure to pass your comments about the 401K match on however I invite... More

9. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours (8am-4:30pm). Great vacation time (20 personal days plus 9 company holidays ). Good money. Great environment. Large company with a small company feel. Tom Bozzuto is one of the best leaders in the industry. He takes the time to become personally invested within every project and every person in his company. You don't see that very often anymore, especially in a company of this size. Tons of room for upward mobility.

Cons

I can't think of any so far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Don't get away from what you are doing.

Aug 15, 2017 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

How delightful to see another 5-star review! It is wonderful to hear that you are enjoying so many things about the company – benefits, salary, growth opportunities to name a few. You echo what our... More

"Overall good company"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

Great benefit package.
    The opportunity for growth is also a strong point, they do hire within.

Cons

No work life balance and I've recently come to find out that I get paid a lot less than some of the employees who started working at my property WEEKS ago. Mind you I've been with the company and have been at this location for over a year and a half, also bilingual and my work load has multiplied to the point where I'm not even happy with my job.

Advice to Management

Teach your managers to properly communicate as well as value their emoloyees. They should be able to identify what an employee does that deserves a raise when asked for one. Absolutely ridiculous that I get paid THOUSANDS of dollars less than an employee who started 3 weeks ago when I bring assests to this specific property that no one else does and out of the 5 individuals in this office I do the most work.

Aug 22, 2017 – Project Manager, Talent Engagement

Thank you for taking time to write a review and providing your input! We have an open door policy at the company. Please take time to reach out directly to your managing director regarding your... More