Bozzuto Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Bozzuto President and CEO Toby S. Bozzuto
Toby S. Bozzuto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work life balance for the industry, great time off PTO, etc" (in 27 reviews)

• "Always room for growth and moving up" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is non existent" (in 36 reviews)

• "Working weekends can be tough at times" (in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bozzuto will give you the opportunity to take on more responsibility. They expect you to work hard and reward you appropriately. I've always found that Bozzuto higher-ups treat other employees no differently.

Cons

401k match is very low.

Sep 13, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

First, thank you for your more than 5 years of employment with Bozzuto! It is great to hear you mention that you can be more responsible and that you appreciate how you are treated by our senior... More

2. "Project Accountant"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

I love everything about Bozzuto. Hands down, the best employer I've ever had.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

"Wrong priorities"

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

I made amazing friends working for this company.

Cons

As a sales and marketing associate you are not valued. Compensation is not competitive and “bonuses” are minuscule. You are asked to work most weekends, sacrificing time spent having a social life when friends and family are free. You are asked to work holidays (literally Christmas Eve, the day after Christmas, and New Year’s Eve) making it impossible to take even a 3-4 day vacation to see family.

You are given an impressive amount of PTO but will be made to feel guilty when you try to take it. Sometimes it’s impossible, due to the rigid holiday schedule and general understaffing of on-site teams.

Worst of all is being verbally abused by irate residents, having to take it, and then somehow having to apologize for it. It’s a toxic environment. And depending on the manager you have, it might be impossible to be promoted out of. It’s all about who your regional manager likes. Favoritism is alive and well at Bozzuto.

Advice to Management

Listen to your SMAs! Offer a more competitive salary- this is why so many young professionals are deserting the company without making it higher than entry level. Make it easier for employees to take well deserved vacation time. Foster an environment when corporate doesn’t talk to on-site teams like they’re above them. Make it inexusable for residents to talk down to employees without consequenses. Fix the toxic culture you created by expanding to be “the biggest” and not “the best.”

4. "Good Company!"

I worked at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

Good team atmosphere within the portfolio

Cons

Favoritism is very present at regional level

Oct 30, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are pleased to hear you worked with a good team while at Bozzuto. I wish you the best in your new career!

5. "Wonderful Company!"

I worked at Bozzuto full-time

Pros

Great company culture, lots of opportunities to grow and be promoted in the company, company focuses on a lot of charitable causes that you can contribute to, support and foster long term employees. Would highly recommend!

Cons

Expect excellence and sometimes that can effect work/life balance.

Oct 18, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We love hearing you would highly recommend us! It is also so nice to hear you mention the charitable causes we support. We wish you all the best in your future... More

6. "Best Around..."

Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Progressive, forward-thinking company.
    - People are kind and professional.
    - Most clients are elite and highly sophisticated.
    - Company focuses on growing and promoting from within.
    - Leadership is communicative about direction of company.

Cons

- As with any 3rd party management, difficult owners exist and Bozzuto makes room to work with them.

Advice to Management

I have worked for other 3rd party management companies and Bozzuto has a complete understanding of the goals and focus that support success for the on-site team. From streamlining the look and feel of each community to focusing on the most important aspects of running a successful community which results in a win/win for both the client and Bozzuto.

Being the best out there has created significant demand and growth and with that has come some growing pains, however, this is inevitable.

Tom Bozzuto is humble, kind and really values people, especially those that work for him.

The best part about working for Bozzuto is the diversity within the company. There is someone working for Bozzuto that any person can relate to and they treat their people well.

Oct 18, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

Thank you for this great 5-star review! It is so nice of you to say so many wonderful things about Bozzuto. I was particularly happy to see that you mentioned the diversity within the company as... More

"Looking Forward to Growing with Bozzuto"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Competitive commission (depending on your property)
    -They live out their culture
    -Smooth and professional onboarding experience
    -Lots of room for growth (transfer, promotions, etc.)
    -Opportunities for overtime
    -Large company resources but small company attitude towards employees
    -Healthcare is affordable (I don't use this benefit though)
    -Hours can be flexible
    -Strong company performance
    -Decent PTO accrual
    -Generous tuition reimbursement
    -High-end portfolio (mostly)

Cons

-The 401(k) match is below average. I would open your own IRA to supplement.
    -Yes, you work weekends (but this where you get most of your leases)
    -Cannot take PTO until 90 days in
    -Dress code can be old school depending on the property - hard to keep up at times with an SMA salary

Advice to Management

Not much...maybe relax dress code more and increase 401(k) match to standard 3%

Oct 30, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I love that you title this ‘Looking forward to growing with Bozzuto’ – we love when our employees grow with us! You’ve listed so many... More

"Concierge"

Current Employee - Front Desk Concierge in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Front Desk Concierge in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Bozzuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, friendly environment, company that really cares about their employees/residents.

Cons

Sometimes communication between Front Desk and Leasing Office can become mixed and confused due to lack of organization.

Sep 25, 2018 – Project Manager, Talent & Culture

It is so great to hear from a member of our concierge team. Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m happy to hear that you find the company to be one that cares about their employees & residents... More

"Toxic culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bozzuto part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Residents are very patient. Other properties tend to have better management.

Cons

Toxic at culture at my property. You'll be forced out by isolation and suffer retaliation if the "right" people don't like you or if you question protocol. Younger team management means childish tactics, rumors and lots of talking behind each other's back. Property Management looks the other way until everything boils over and either someone quits or transfers out to another property. I work at a newer property and the building is not at all ready to have residents. Management takes no accountability.

Advice to Management

Treat lower ranking employees with dignity and take repeating complaints seriously.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Bozzuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- PTO
    - good insurance
    - gain more people skills

Cons

- when you use the PTO it's a problem
    - no work/life balance
    - favoritism
    - sales & marketing associate hardly involves any marketing

Advice to Management

Hire property managers with people skills and quit allowing favoritism among employees as well. Just because your employee wouldn't fit in with your friend group, doesn't mean they are not efficient in what they do; has nothing do to with it, actually. keep your personal issues to yourself and learn how to control your emotions.
    If MULTIPLE people are requesting a transfer from a property, I assure you there's a reason. I got threatened to be written up because I wasn't learning all 80,230,480 details of the job fast enough in 2 months. Please....

Oct 29, 2018

I’m so very sorry to hear that your experience with Bozzuto did not meet your expectations. We are proud that the vast majority of our staff enjoy a happy and fulfilling career with us. That said... More