Brad's Deals Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Brad Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome company to work for!"

Pros

Flexibility! Friendly environment. Great teamwork.

Cons

None! I LOVE working with Brad's Deals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Nov 30, 2016 – Dir, HR

This review made our day! Thank you for taking the time to let us know.

2. "A good, flexible company on the move, quickly"

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

Very flexible, encourages good work life balance
    Smart, interesting co workers
    Fun challenges to work on
    When possible, tries to promote from within
    Invests in its employees with time and resources
    Many new initiatives and continued growth

Cons

Growing pains and overlapping boundaries
    Salaries a bit less than market rate
    Ideally, upper management would provide more vision to its employees about where the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Good company that's making moves, and it's a fun ride that I often find stimulating and enjoying. The culture is shifting to accommodate new roles, and I'm curious to see where it is in a year or two.

3. "Account Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people here are great! The office has a relaxed atmosphere full of hard working, smart individuals. Definitely a millennial vibe here

Cons

I have no complaints so far :)

Advice to Management

N/A

Aug 4, 2016 – Dir, HR

Thank you for letting us know about your experiences so far! Welcome to the team.

"Didn't realize how bad it was until I left"

I worked at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

We had a nice working environment and I had a handful of cool coworkers, although many of the best ones have left.

Cons

At the time, I was annoyed with some things, but liked working BD. I did not realize how badly I had it until I joined my new company. Now that I see what I was missing, I am compelled to tell what I saw. Nothing gets done on time. Our website took 2 years to build and it should have been done in 4 months. Everything had to be done to perfection and it meant much slower progress which is not how a start up should be. Management never does what they say they'll do. They've been talking about a holiday party for years and last year we had a really bad half hearted attempt. We were supposed to have an outing at the race track last year, but it never happened because Brad wouldn’t approve it. The CEO, Brad was never around - maybe 40 days a year and we would always speculate about where he was. We never really knew where he was until management announced the St. Thomas office. Brad had been living and working in St. Thomas the entire time. Management told us we had the option to move there and when some senior management moved there it created tension. Now that I have a CEO who is in the office every day and is inspirational to our team, I see what a growing company can be. Benefits stink. I remember when Brad told us to get an HSA and we didn't have to go to the doctor and my new HR person said that's so he can save money.

Advice to Management

Build a better environment when people's bosses are working in the caribbean. Do what you say you are going to do.

Sep 28, 2015 – Dir, HR

I would love to learn more specifics from you on your experiences so we can review making improvements based upon your suggestions. Please reach out to me so we can set up time to learn more... More

5. "Interview Experience"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fast process, great conversations, timely followup, company and role transparency. Two phone interviews with HR and hiring manager and then brought in to meet entire team. Overall great experience!

Cons

There are no cons with interview process.

Apr 4, 2017 – Dir, HR

Thank you for the feedback! We strive to be as timely as possible and make the process an open and candid one. Glad to have you on the team!

6. "Great small company to work for"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to expand on my own
    very young company, average age around 30.

Cons

Lack of executive level leadership in marketing keeps us out of the decision making process at the highest level.

Advice to Management

Understandable that we don't have leadership, but at least a voice at the table would be nice

Jul 20, 2015 – Dir, HR

Thank you for letting us know. We are always open to hearing your thoughts and will continue to strive to provide your team with updates

7. "Great and flexible work environment"

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

A very young, open-office environment where everyone is smart, laid back and driven.The hours are flexible--Fridays are work at home in the summer, and you can work remotely almost any time as long as you're actually getting things done. Catered lunches on Wednesdays are a great motivator, and I also appreciate the free healthy drinks and snacks in the kitchen. Everyone is very open to collaboration and new ideas, and the monthly parties and weekly meetings (with beer!) help to foster new friendships and fun.

Cons

The pay isn't overly competitive, but the flexibility of my schedule makes up for that. It's also hard for me to see a clear career path within the company because everyone is so specialized, but as we grow that will probably change. Plus it seems like everyone who's been here a while has carved our their own path, which is pretty cool.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open about what's happening in all aspects of the company as we grow and change with the times.

Jul 20, 2015 – Dir, HR

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how things are going!

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with very smart people. Everyone really seems to know how to get things done relatively quickly in comparison to places that I've worked at previously. The leadership team is open in terms of transparency about what is going on. Most people generally seem to be in a good mood each day, which is probably a product of the environment. Free, healthy snacks and drinks are always available. Weekly company meetings don't seem like a chore. They are fun and informative. Several fun team activities occur throughout the year. My department has a very flexible schedule and from what I can tell most other departments do as well.

Cons

The pay seems to be below industry averages, but the perks help to bridge the gap.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be open or if possible, more open about what is going on behind the scenes on at least a monthly basis. Continue to encourage employees to ask questions.

"So far, so great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Very flexible work schedule with summer hours. Casual environment with very up-beat and welcoming people. Great River North office location.

Cons

I haven't really found a downside to working here. It has been an all around positive experience so far.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, try as best you can to maintain the small community working environment you have established. It is a very large part of what makes working here great.

May 26, 2015 – Dir, HR

Thank you for the feedback! We are glad that it has been such a positive experience for you and would like to know your continued thoughts and feedback.

"Awesome surface perks, awful underbelly"

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

Free food (stocked kitchen with snacks/drinks and lunch on Wednesdays).
    Work at home Fridays in the summer.
    Lots of open spaces (and closed offices) available to work in.
    Flexibility with when you come in (you can start whenever you want, as long as you put in your 8 hours a day).

Cons

Working at Brad's Deals is great on the surface. It's won a ton of awards for being one of the best places to work, and that's what the company projects, outwardly and inwardly. (Sometimes I feel that the fact that this is such a great place to work is shoved down my throat.) But, in reality, it isn't. A ton of people in my department aren't satisfied. The base salary is too low, and now, it is harder to get bonuses.

There was a bit of a big hype about hitting the more than 50 employee mark, but really, that isn't so much about growth as it is about replacing people. For example, if you look in the acknowledgements of Brad's book, more than half the people listed now aren't with the company (around a year and a half after the book was published).

I think the cons can be summed up in three words: unfair, cheap, and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Pay them a wage that is commiserate with their experience and the work that they do. Work on fixing the internal issues instead of just focusing on the great, glossy side of Brad's Deals.

Sep 18, 2014 – Dir, HR

I am concerned upon reading your review. Please email me to set up time so we can talk further about these issues.