Brad's Deals Reviews | Glassdoor

Brad Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

laid back and welcoming atmosphere, ability to work at home if needed, the company provides lunch every Wednesday, free healthy snacks

Cons

could have more opportunities for the team bonding outside of work

Advice to Management

better communication

Jan 15, 2018 – Dir, HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. This is certainly something we can discuss further, as we love that our team members enjoy working and being with their co-workers. In the mean... More

2. "Avoid Marketing At All Costs"

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

(Unlikely) potential for an acquisition. Most teams have strong leadership, support and are growing.

Cons

Avoid the marketing team at all costs. Appalling management, job threats, zero trust, pure dishonest business practices. The marketing team is likely too afraid to publish anything here (and may very well be punished for this anyway), but someone must tell this tale.

While other teams at Brad's Deals actually have it pretty good - being able to work from home and have a flexible schedule - none of this seems to apply for the Marketing team. Examples:
    • They are not allowed to speak to one another unless it is work-related.
    • They may not work from a couch or in a conference room unless they ask permission from their managers. In fact, management has been known to poke their heads into conference rooms suspiciously ask individuals what they are doing/working on!
    • No phones unless it is work-related.
    • Jobs are threatened at the slightest hint of poor performance, despite an unusually complicated performance calculation the company is still trying to get right since it was implemented over a year ago. They also fired the Facebook team after management forced them to change their whole strategy the day before Thanksgiving/Black Friday. Management still refuses to accept responsibility for this.
    • They are stonewalled whenever they want to work on a new project with another team or pursue a new field of interest. Managers usually step in and assume all responsibility for projects, at which point the ideas quietly die.

I have never seen this level of inherent distrust and micromanagement in my 10+ years of business experience. It is apparent that the marketing team lives in fear despite their attempts to shake it off, smile through the pain and deflect questions about what's going on so that they do not get punished or fired.

Advice to Management

Several team leads have expressed severe frustration with Marketing management. The CEO will know exactly what all of this means and which individuals need to leave the company before more good employees throw in the towel.

Feb 7, 2018 – Dir, HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Please reach out to me so I can learn more specifics about your experiences. I also may be able to add further clarity to some of the items you... More

3. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back company culture, free snacks, work from home Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day, catered Wednesday lunches, open keg, pool table, ping pong table, decent work-life balance, gym in the building, sweet new rooftop with pool in the summer, and mostly, the people.

Cons

Expensive medical insurance, especially for families, most employees never accrue more PTO no matter how many years they've been with the company, very little room for growth in most cases, awkwardly quiet in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Consider the well-being and future of employees.

Jan 15, 2018 – Dir, HR

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts and suggestions. These are things that we will look into further.

4. "Great place to work"

Pros

Great place to work, great people

Cons

None that I can think of

Oct 10, 2017 – Dir, HR

Thank you for letting us know. We agree that there are great people that work here!

5. "A good, flexible company on the move, quickly"

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

Very flexible, encourages good work life balance
    Smart, interesting co workers
    Fun challenges to work on
    When possible, tries to promote from within
    Invests in its employees with time and resources
    Many new initiatives and continued growth

Cons

Growing pains and overlapping boundaries
    Salaries a bit less than market rate
    Ideally, upper management would provide more vision to its employees about where the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Good company that's making moves, and it's a fun ride that I often find stimulating and enjoying. The culture is shifting to accommodate new roles, and I'm curious to see where it is in a year or two.

Oct 10, 2017 – Dir, HR

Thank you for your thoughts. We are curious to see where this takes us too and look forward to being even more successful with your help!

6. "Awesome company to work for!"

Pros

Flexibility! Friendly environment. Great teamwork.

Cons

None! I LOVE working with Brad's Deals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Nov 30, 2016 – Dir, HR

This review made our day! Thank you for taking the time to let us know.

7. "Account Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people here are great! The office has a relaxed atmosphere full of hard working, smart individuals. Definitely a millennial vibe here

Cons

I have no complaints so far :)

Advice to Management

N/A

Aug 4, 2016 – Dir, HR

Thank you for letting us know about your experiences so far! Welcome to the team.

"Didn't realize how bad it was until I left"

I worked at Brad's Deals full-time

Pros

We had a nice working environment and I had a handful of cool coworkers, although many of the best ones have left.

Cons

At the time, I was annoyed with some things, but liked working BD. I did not realize how badly I had it until I joined my new company. Now that I see what I was missing, I am compelled to tell what I saw. Nothing gets done on time. Our website took 2 years to build and it should have been done in 4 months. Everything had to be done to perfection and it meant much slower progress which is not how a start up should be. Management never does what they say they'll do. They've been talking about a holiday party for years and last year we had a really bad half hearted attempt. We were supposed to have an outing at the race track last year, but it never happened because Brad wouldn’t approve it. The CEO, Brad was never around - maybe 40 days a year and we would always speculate about where he was. We never really knew where he was until management announced the St. Thomas office. Brad had been living and working in St. Thomas the entire time. Management told us we had the option to move there and when some senior management moved there it created tension. Now that I have a CEO who is in the office every day and is inspirational to our team, I see what a growing company can be. Benefits stink. I remember when Brad told us to get an HSA and we didn't have to go to the doctor and my new HR person said that's so he can save money.

Advice to Management

Build a better environment when people's bosses are working in the caribbean. Do what you say you are going to do.

Sep 28, 2015 – Dir, HR

I would love to learn more specifics from you on your experiences so we can review making improvements based upon your suggestions. Please reach out to me so we can set up time to learn more... More

9. "Interview Experience"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fast process, great conversations, timely followup, company and role transparency. Two phone interviews with HR and hiring manager and then brought in to meet entire team. Overall great experience!

Cons

There are no cons with interview process.

Apr 4, 2017 – Dir, HR

Thank you for the feedback! We strive to be as timely as possible and make the process an open and candid one. Glad to have you on the team!

10. "Great small company to work for"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brad's Deals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to expand on my own
    very young company, average age around 30.

Cons

Lack of executive level leadership in marketing keeps us out of the decision making process at the highest level.

Advice to Management

Understandable that we don't have leadership, but at least a voice at the table would be nice

Jul 20, 2015 – Dir, HR

Thank you for letting us know. We are always open to hearing your thoughts and will continue to strive to provide your team with updates