Bradenton Herald Reviews | Glassdoor

Bradenton Herald Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

2.2
Bradenton Herald CEO Bob Turner (no image)
Bob Turner
  1. "Workplace review"

Marketing Consultant in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Bradenton Herald

Pros

Co-workers are like a big family. Interesting work that's never boring. Generally positive work atmosphere. Great downtown Bradenton location.

Cons

Some of the recent cutbacks are making it difficult to do the job. Daily deadlines and sales quotas can be stressful for some people.

Advice to Management

Remember what makes the newspaper the heart of the community. Be obsessed with circulation and quality customer service. Reestablish employee social events.

Bradenton Herald2016-01-17

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Bradenton Herald full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, base pay and people at the office are great. That's. It. Nothing. Else.

Cons

Absolute waste of time working here. Way to many people making decisions and those people have no clue what they are doing. The number one priority it to keep your job. Management is always looking to keep their jobs and dont have time not talent to make anyone better. Leadership is all about keeping $$$ afloat and keeping shareholders happy. I've been here less than a year and have had 3 reorganizations within... the company. No local managers for the most part. People answer to others in Miami and in Charlotte. All this for a local newspaper. No clear focus on future! All about the now. Salesforce is king. Micromanaging is the key for control. Also, absolutely no clear training for my experience. They cant get out of their own way to make themselves better. This office in particular has lost over 14 essential sales, support staff within the last year. I've seen brand new people leave within months... lol. The. Very. Worst. As a piece of advise try NOT to take a job here. You might regret your decision.

Advice to Management

Learn to organize your reorganization and think of your clients/customers first and treat your employees with respect. Salesforce will kill your business (salesforce doesnt give you the real story)

Bradenton Herald2019-09-09
  3. "Run, don't walk"

Current Employee - Advertising Sales in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Bradenton Herald full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

everyone is in fear of losing their jobs, no job security or loyalty

Cons

nothing I could think of

Bradenton Herald2019-09-05
  4. "Good training ground but not enough incentive to stay"

Former Employee - Reporter in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Bradenton Herald full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, health savings account, experience, vacation policy

Cons

Overworked, poor salary and 401k, no raises, no training or mentorship, little room for growth within McClatchy

Advice to Management

Relax about web traffic, connect better with your audience and try to build a better team atmosphere. I didn't know what our coverage meant to the community anymore, because I was always so focused on pumping out as much content as possible and paying attention to "clicks." I didn't feel supported in my attempts to do good, meaningful journalism. I felt like management was afraid, for whatever reason, to pursue... stories that matter. I only felt connected to the staff as a team when we went to happy hour and complained about how we felt like McClatchy didn't really care if we stayed with the company or not. We should have had something positive to unite around as a team, and we didn't. Additionally, it felt like there was no chance to move to a better paper (the Miami Herald, or even elsewhere). Finally, stop micromanaging. You hired employees because you believe in them, their journalistic instinct and intelligence. Treat them as such.

Bradenton Herald2018-01-06
  5. "I took a pay cut to leave"

I worked at Bradenton Herald full-time for more than a year

Pros

fair health benefits, some friendly co-workers

Cons

Required to work longer hours with little time off. They don't fill positions when someone leaves, so it's hard to take time off without making everyone mad. Work schedule was inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly, people keep leaving for a reason. Pay attention to that. No one wants to work at your paper anymore.

Bradenton Herald2018-01-09
  6. "Overall, not a bad place to work if you are still interested in newspapers."

Current Employee - Editor in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Bradenton Herald full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, plenty of paid vacation and still give you sick days, although it's hard to use them as there is minimal staff.

Cons

Not much room to move up, people in higher positions tend to be "lifers." Long hours, strange hours.

Advice to Management

Less micromanaging, better hiring.

Bradenton Herald2014-01-10