Bradley-Morris Account Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Account Representative

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Best

"No special treatment - Rewards are exclusively tied to performance - And that's a good thing!"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Independent/entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged and success has financial rewards. After a week of training, you jump straight on the phones and start running your own desk as if it were a business. Those that succeed ask tons of questions from their more experienced peers and try to learn from their experience. Those that try to go it alone are those that fail (most of the reviews you see here are from those people). There isn’t a lot of spoon feeding but if you ask for help everyone is more than happy to give it – the team's success hinges on each individual's success. The work is by no means easy but it is frustratingly simple… If you have the work ethic to stay on the phone and continue to improve at your craft you will slowly start seeing success and eventually will earn a great income. I went from 85k/yr in the private sector to 60k my first year at BMI. I’ve cleared 150k every year thereafter and over 200k in some years. I work my behind off. I’m in the top 20% of earners – there are some that make more, some that make less. There aren’t any “special people” or “favoritism” bonuses – you eat what you kill. People who are hunters love it. People who are gatherers feel like it’s not them – it’s the system. Many take the job having convinced themselves they are hunters but realize a few weeks or sometimes a few months into it that they aren’t (again, the people who leave reviews here). All of the tenured reps started in the same spot as the new employees – with an empty database and a phone that was dying to be worked. There’s a very fair system in place to ensure everyone has access to companies and contacts that aren’t being actively being serviced. I’ve had new guys call on and make money with companies I was working just a year and a half ago – I got busy and failed to engage. No special protection or client hoarding here.

Cons

- If you are thinking of working here, take a serious self-assessment before taking the plunge. It sounds easy to pick up the phone and make 100 dials a day but it takes a very strong work ethic. And it’s not a one-call close or transactional sale. Get past the initial business development phase and you quickly learn ours is a complex consultative sale that requires exceptional tact in dealing with both clients and candidates. It takes a combination of listening and persuasion, patience and persistence to move a revue opportunity from job order to offer accepted. Not everyone has it or can develop it quickly enough to sustainably make money in this field.

- Benefits aren’t great. The company focuses on pushing as much in the way of commissions to its people as possible. This means managing expenses and not operating the benefits program as if we lived in a communist country…. If you are a reservist in the military, Tricare Reserve is a great option. Otherwise come to grips with the fact that that medical insurance has a cost….

Advice to Management

- Keep investing! Tremendous investment in growing the company over the last few years from a candidate generation standpoint and from an IT infrastructure standpoint. Keep doing what it takes to enable ensure we can keep providing the best candidates and customer service in our space.

"Good company, difficult work to succeed in"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, flexible job, ability to work from home, not very much travel, not a hard job to do, excellent work atmosphere

Cons

100% commission, very difficult to obtain clients given the state of the job market, competition from other agencies, and lack of interest from companies to use outside hiring firms.

"Great entry-level sales opportunity with a unique corporate culture."

Current Employee - Account Representative in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

"Unlimited commissions", open desk - as long as you make their metrics. They basically let you run your own business. Travel to some cool areas. Some decent people - military focused so the camaraderie is great.

Cons

They are trying to corporatize the company - which is really destroying the espirit de corps. There isn't a training program - some hodgepodge groups of how this and this works, but nothing that helps you learn how to sell the product. The product is the candidate but also this intangible need that random customers need. (Military veterans and their intangible skillsets) If you have no experience with selling veterans then this is the worst job in the world for you.
    Income wise - you will have a draw vs commission structure - which sounds great, but you can't base your finances around it and good luck getting a mortgage on said structure. That 3k every month can rack up real quick- especially due to the long-sales cycle. Your money only comes in when the company receives a check from another company. Oh by the way, that company that is supposed to pay a 20K check for an "electrician" - they don't have to pay. BMI has absolutely no recourse against said companies - just hopefully it will happen.
    Unlimited commissions happen: If you find the right company, the right person, the right time(bulk need or specialty need), the right location(candidates won't go to North Dakota or Iowa if they don't have too), and finally you have to convince the company to come to a conference (to pay money for logistics to come to a hiring conference). The most difficult type of sale out there.
    The management is great but guess what you will never ever have an opportunity in this company to move up. They have their favorites ( candidate recruiters move up in the system but sales people are always sales people.)
    FInally, your weekends at least two weekends out of the month will be in different areas - which means you may go 14 - 21 days straight with working.
    There is very little lead generation so good luck farming through old accounts and trying to find new ones. It's an extremely difficult position and requires a certain type of fortitude and also a dual, stable income.
    The people are cool but they will knife you in the back anytime - specifically if you are farming through old accounts though its incredibly difficult to find a Tier-1 company or even multiple Tier-2 before you have to pay back draw.
    Finally, most Fortune 500 companies are on track with military programs - which makes it incredibly difficult to get them to pay lots of money on an unknown individual with attributes that they like but with no industry experience - Good luck.,

Advice to Management

Better benefits. 1k for a family is ridiculous. I know most of the employees are retired vets but good gracious you have awful plans.
    Better training - invest in your people instead of tossing them away after four months. These relationships take time to groom - so interview and invest more in your people.
    Open up more opportunities in the company - feeding candidate recruiters into leadership positions keeps your company stagnant.
    Become more company driven - candidates are worshipped - clients are the ones that keep the lights on.

"Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment for those that are self motivated to make a great career. Work atmosphere is fun and competitive. They have the highest commission rate in the business. I would rather have a higher percentage of the money I bring in than a mediocre base salary and a gold star.

Cons

It take a few months to get ramped up. Once you break through, it is great.

Advice to Management

They do a great job of not micromanaging on a daily basis. I can go to them with anything and know they will take care of me.

"My first 6 months at Bradley-Morris"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every man wakes up in the morning wanting an arena to compete in and eventually become a champion. That's why many guys end up in flag football, fantasy, or bowling leagues. When I started at Bradley-Morris, I immediately felt that this was the perfect competitive arena for me. I played D1 Football and I'm very used to the philosophy that you can work hard and write yourself into the starting line-up. On the other hand, you can also choose to slack off, have a lot of "feel good phone time" and then get upset when you're not making a lot of money. Many of the senior account reps have bent over backwards (at no benefit to them) to help me succeed, and I love that I can take a guy to lunch who makes $200k+ and pick his brain...I don't know too many companies where that's an option.

If you don't like a highly competitive environment, you won't like working here. If you want a job where you know exactly what you're going to make each month, you won't like working here.

It's also worth mentioning that after 6 months of working with some of the sharpest military veterans on the planet and several Fortune 500 companies that I've broken as new clients- both the companies and candidates know Bradley-Morris is the best in the military staffing industry. It's a good feeling working for the best.

Bradley-Morris is the personification of "work hard, play hard". It's a great family to join.

Cons

Benefits package could use some improvements.

Advice to Management

Please improve the benefits package for employees.

"EXTREMELY limited career potential; Very routine and mundane work environment"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping military veterans find jobs
    no dress code - can arrive to work in t-shirt and basketball shorts
    potentially could earn a high level of commissions dollars - may take up to 6 months to see money rolling in however
    little to no mico-management

Cons

VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE. I've been with the company for almost two years and have seen GREAT, QUALITY people leave who were just fed up.

Bradley-Morris isn't the place for someone who is vibrant and looking for an exciting career in staffing and recruiting. This is a dead end environment - no growth opportunity. This works for some of course, but for those career minded individuals, I would suggest looking elsewhere OR plan to stick around only up to a year.

Non-competitive base salary and benefits: It's a 100% commission / draw structure, meaning - you do have some monthly pay, however, if you don't make up that money on your next commissions check, they will take money out of your check. There are opportunity to make money with commissions structure, depending on how high of a fee you charge a client, however, sales people ONLY get paid if the hiring company pays Bradley-Morris. Very hard to plan for bills. For what you receive, it's not worth the hard work - there are other placement firms that pay a more competitive base salary with good benefits. Also, if one of your placements quits or gets fired within 90 days, you have to pay back the company the commissions dollars you earned from that placement. BE VERY WARNED! During my interview they kept pushing that most make $100k their first year! Some have...don't get me wrong, however...being realistic...MOST HAVE NOT!

Poor work-life balance: Branch Managers try to keep you there all night, making it your obligation to stay until 8 or 9 pm if you haven't closed a deal THAT DAY - very high pressure sales environment.

Management is uninvolved - no support pass training - expects everyone to operate like they did in the military. I left the military for a reason - not to have someone breathing down my throat in the civilian world

Management can be unprofessional: drinking and getting drunk AT WORK is acceptable! This is an unfiltered, anything goes environment - they don't care about the feelings or beliefs of others. This may work for some, but for someone with any level of personal morals and standards, Bradley-Morris won't be the organization that shares those same values.

No support or team-like environment. You'd be surprised how much military MEN gossip about eachother!

NOT A DIVERSE COMPANY TO WORK FOR - they claim that they are #1 with diversity placements, which may be true, however, internally, there is NO DIVERSITY!

I am actively seeking new employment!

Advice to Management

Know how to keep quality people - too many have come and gone. Sales people work too hard for this to be a 100% commission environment; stop allowing your management team to be unprofessional. If you expect people to stay until 10:00 at night, then provide incentives.

"Best group of people I have ever worked with including my time in the military!"

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time

Pros

Very challenging career. Not for everyone. Need to be able to take rejection and learn from it.
    You have the opportunity to create your own business and portfolio.
    Great work environment.
    Leadership has an open door policy to listen and help team when ever needed.
    Great family/work balance that is encouraged by the company .

Cons

It is difficult in the beginning to learn this business and develop a client base.
    It is not for everyone and people learn quickly if they have what is takes or not. Most do not.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The ability to adapt to the market and customer needs is amazing!

"Great place to work with no limit on income potential."

Current Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Great team
    Lots of mentoring
    You eat what you kill, no limit on commissions
    Flexible schedule once you are established
    Perseverance and hard work pay off.

Cons

It takes a few months to get ramped up, so you really have to work hard to get a great start.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great atmosphere!

"Working for local management who have hit their "Peter Principal" (level of incompetence) never works."

Current Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

There are some good folks there, all former military, who give their all, however as it turns out, most everyone is unhappy.

Cons

Unless you drink the company "kool-ade", and accept blindly, you will not make it for long in this company..
    Honest opinions are frowned upon.
    Austin management consists of a former sergeant who still thinks he is in the army and a class clown/cheerleader who lives in never never land.
    Turnover is horrendous as new employees are lied to in order to get them to come aboard - once they see the light it's TA-TA Bradley-Morris.
    When you have to pay candidates to sign up and use Bradley-Morris services, something is definitely wrong.
    Not enough smart people work there.
    Benefit package is terrible.
    Top management is absent.
    This company is proof that management by intimidation does not work!

Advice to Management

Promote people who can manage into management positions, not people who are only good recruiters or cheerleaders - it does not work and makes you look BAD!

"The leader in the industry."

Current Employee - Account Representative
    Current Employee - Account Representative

I have been working at Bradley-Morris full-time

Pros

The company is leading the way in the industry with forward thinking leadership. As most of the competition is stuck in their old habits and track record, our company is thinking of new ways to innovate. The culture is based around winning and succeeding. That means working hard and paying your dues. It's not a easy job but it's rewarding if you have the ability to adapt and overcome. Very open dialogue with our leaders and change is welcome in order to best suit the customer and candidate. The company will continue to grow in positive ways.

Cons

If you are looking for a place to make a good living without working for it, move on. This job takes time to develop clients and relationships. If you can't make the time to invest in your development, no one will grab you and make you do it. You have to be motivated to be successful. If anything our company holds on to the people who shouldn't be there and who are detrimental to the morale of the team. People who are not billing and haven't for years, will never bill. Stop holding on past glory and cut the cord. We have become more forgiving than ever.

Lastly, to those morons who continue to bash this company, stop. You're embarrassing yourself and make you look sad and pathetic. Thank God they removed the cancer before it spread. Sadly, it shows how sad your performance was and how much you still want to be a part of something you should of never been a part of from the start. Stop living in the past and find something else to do with your time than degrade the reputation of a company we love.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for people to grow.
    Continue to share insight of the growth of the company.