Brady Reviews | Glassdoor

Brady President, CEO & Director J. Michael Nauman
J. Michael Nauman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • After a series of unfortunate events and a few upper management departures things began to spiral out of control (in 8 reviews)

• Ongoing high turnover of highly talented individuals (in 6 reviews)

"Do NOT work here"

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

The people are nice.

Cons

Benefits are awful, Management is the worst. They do not care about employees. If they don't like you then they make your goal impossible. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Treat people like people and not like a number. Turn around is awful for a reason. And that reason is you.

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Brady full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k match was good, benefits decent

Cons

Very political, horrible training, lots of people who undermine one another and think they are better than everyone else. The trainer is just dumb and inconsiderate/impolite. Nowhere else to go, stuck in this position.

Advice to Management

treat people with respect and don't stereotype people.

"Boring, stagnant, micromanaged workplace that feels like robots in a call center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brady full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commute, sometimes people bring donuts

Cons

Significant turnover, no room for growth, upper management wants to control everything and not open to new ideas, stagnant environment, old-fashioned core values, clock-watchers, feels like a call center, more like a job than a career, dress code was changed to business casual even though we don't see clients.

Advice to Management

Brady has lost over 30 employees in 3 years and there have never more than about 25 people in the office. There is clearly something wrong since people keep leaving. The smart people realize they are stuck in a job and not a career and leave. If you stop being so concerned about counting hours then people would be more motivated, resulting in happy workers who get their work done and even work late because they care. The environment you've created feels like a call center with robot employees. I assume the turnover will continue if nothing changes.

"Senior Press Operator"

Former Employee - Senior Press Operator in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Press Operator in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Brady full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees and some equipment they have upgraded

Cons

Management seems to make things up as they go along. Benefits have been severely reduced over the years.

Advice to Management

Upgrade benefits and don't worry so much about shareholders. Take care of the people who got you where you are.

"A slow, painful death. From 100 to 0."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

This position started with a lot of potential and promise. There was high energy, excitement, and willingness to work.

Cons

Almost everything just a few months in. After a series of unfortunate events and a few upper management departures things began to spiral out of control.

The Chicago office management is only worried about cost numbers and will cut corners to meet certain needs, including cutting employees. Management is egocentric and does not care about a happy work environment or pleasing their employees.

This is an office that never meets face to face with customers however Brady Corp enforces a strict dress code, inflexible work hours, no remote work even though every position in the office is capable of it, and rumors of actual time card tracking to make sure every single employee meets their hour quota. Micromanaging has been taken to the extreme in each department. It feels like Big Brother is watching.

Incompetency runs rampant throughout many roles in the office.

There is zero communication between the management and the actual office floor. Employees hear rumors and nothing else. The future is very uncertain and it seems things can change overnight for anyone. Office moral is at an absolute low or rather, it’s just 0.

I would not recommend this company for employment or investment.

Advice to Management

Learn to be leaders.

Being a boss does not mean being an ‘overprotective parent’. Invest in your employees and let them be involved in mission critical decisions when your lack of knowledge would deem necessary. Product launches have been delayed over the months due to management not understanding certain components but also not checking with those who might be qualified to give an accurate timeline.

"Worst management I've ever encountered"

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

None. Nada. Nil. Zip. Zilch.

Cons

The so called "management" in this organization is the epitome of everything that is wrong with corporate America. Unskilled, untalented, uninvolved "leaders" whose apparent only purpose is to drain the company like parasites and then move on to their next target. The most blatant example of cronyism and nepotism I've ever seen, the upper & middle management certainly did not earn their positions through brains, hard work, or passion & knowledge of the industry which BRADY is in. They only care about the daily numbers, they breathlessly await each day's earnings report the way a gambling addict is obsessed with nightly lottery numbers. They have zero long term vision or innovative plans. The subsidiary companies which BRADY owns around the country are in ruins. The Buffalo plant is a wreck, and they've virtually destroyed the long-standing SETON in New Haven, Connecticut. There is also a shocking lack of diversity in the company - if you aren't an upper middle class white male with a fancy degree and the right connections, then you are treated as a third class citizen who only exists to work hard to enrich the shareholders. No growth or opportunity to be had for the little people.
    (I would rate this place a Zero except that Glassdoor doesn't allow less than one star for some reason).

Advice to Management

Why bother? They have zero interest in what those beneath them have to say.

"Customer Service at Brady"

Current Employee - Cusomer Service in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cusomer Service in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Unethical practices

Management does not lead by example nor do they put the customer first.

Ongoing high turnover of highly talented individuals

Lack of communication, training, mentoring, and development of talent.

Low Pay, Upward movement is non-existent, not willing to retain talent, Old school culture, Very little sick time and PTO.

If you use your sick time you are penalized, therefore, it isn't really a benefit.

Archaic business practices, outdated software and the customer web based tools are at best, nonfunctional and not user friendly.

The current Management team is incredibly unethical, rude, prejudice, fake, and overall poor leaders.

Ultimately, you are a name next to a number on a balance sheet. It doesn't matter how long you've been with the company, skill set, experience, or contributions, they will cut you without a second thought since can be replaced by someone who they can pay less money than you.

They are a multimillion dollar company that cannot afford to purchase basic office supplies and equipment. We are told to purchase our own pens, notebooks and essentials that we need to do our jobs.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on the long term, and not this quarter so you can get your bonus.

Remember that your job is to support your employees, not the other way around.

Foster an environment in which your employees are valued.

Foster an environment where your employees are heard and respected.

Ask your employees for their input!

Stop leading by intimidation and stop pushing your agendas.

Don't stay in your office all day. Block some time to interact with your people face-to-face. Start with 15 minutes a day and increase it over time.

Your Brady values are a joke, the management team ignores them. Practice what you preach about company values...Integrity, Ethics?

Make your compensation competitive, develop your employees, recognize and retain talent.

Communicate more than you think you need to about not only the challenges we face, but the opportunities that these challenges bring for the right people to rise to the occasion and contribute more than they ever thought possible.

Invest in new technology to revitalize the company.

"Couldn't be worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came based on what I was told would be happening, which sounded great. As it turned out none of what I was promised or told I would be doing is really happening. There are a handful of nice people in the office.

Cons

Office environment and culture were already weak, now we have a dress code even though we don't see clients or customers. As an employee on salary I am asked to count my hours to make sure I get a minimum of 8 working hours in every day and not a minute less or the office leadership is watching over your shoulder. Lunch doesn't count for your 8 hours even if you work through your personal lunch. We've changed directions every month since I've been here. Turnover is constant, any talent left is all looking to leave, I was told there has been over 40 people that have left in the last 3 years and the office only has about 30 people in it. Management could care less about people, you are just a number to do work here in the assembly line of ideas that don't work. You won't learn anything here as nothing strategic or creative happens in the company. The least progressive company I have ever heard of - can't even work remote for a day every now and then, they ask you to take the full day off if you can't be in or have a Dr. appointment. Never get to leave early on a holiday weekend, zero happiness.

Advice to Management

Lose the dress code and the clock watching and treat us like we are professionals.

"Chicago office - bad HR, worse management"

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

A VERY small handful of good employees remain
    An almost-stunning view of the city from the windows
    Lots of good reataurant choices nearby

Cons

I joined the Chicago office of Brady Corp with high hopes for what I could do to help the company reach its goals. Those expectations were quickly adjusted as round after round of layoffs and firings occurred, most with little explanation or justification to remaining employees.

Employee turnover (from people leaving on their own) is also extremely high. Valuable employees quickly realize the office is failing and they move on to better spaces.

The remaining management (and their cohorts/allies) is incompetent and the majority (but certainly not all) of the remaining individual contributors are ineffective. The Chicago office has a knack for letting go of its best employees at all levels (management, middle management and individual contributors), while keeping those with tenure but very little skills for running a successful e-commerce business.

HR is a terrifying joke. Collusion between employees and HR almost seems encouraged as a way to push valuable employees out. Conversely, real HR complaints (about favoritism, inappropriate manager-employee relationships [including promotions for the employee], harassment by management) are not taken seriously. Frankly, I'm surprised the company hasn't been sued numerous times, based on the events I witnessed in my short time with the company.

The saddest part is that management will see this review and spend all their time trying to figure out who wrote it, instead of fixing the situation and culture they've created. (Also, as a result of this review, I fully expect to see a rash of flowery rebuttal reviews for the Chicago office. It wouldn't be the first time they tried to bury a truthful review.)

In the end, I'm convinced that the only thing keeping the office open is that they signed a five-year lease for the office space. (For those still with the Chicago office, the lease was signed in spring 2013. Tick tock.)

Tl;dr -- management will probably fire you to cover for their incompetence and HR will be happy to do it.

Advice to Management

Fix the terrible culture you've created
    Take HR complaints seriously
    Quit moving the target
    You've got a few good employees left -- value them!!!

"Total disregard for the employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Better income than the recent recent past

Cons

Total disregard for the employees; cut, cut, cut! Continue with takeaways to improve the bottom line, . No real long term plan. Is Brady for sale? Reductions based on age? Age discrimination?
    Poor pay, and pay increases. HR and management are developing a toxic environment; employees are just out to protect their jobs. Working as a true team no longer exists; everyone is watching their backside rather than working towards common goals.

Advice to Management

Bravo!