Brady Reviews | Glassdoor

Brady Reviews

Updated January 11, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great career opportunities and work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great people to work with, who are very helpful (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • After a series of unfortunate events and a few upper management departures things began to spiral out of control (in 8 reviews)

• Another clueless senior management team that has no idea how to reverse the fortunes of this once great company (in 7 reviews)

1. "Management"

I worked at Brady (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is good and clean place to work

Cons

I dont not have anything bad to say

2. "Customer Service - QT Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Don't always get the best training for all areas of the business needs.

"A slow, painful death. From 100 to 0."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

This position started with a lot of potential and promise. There was high energy, excitement, and willingness to work.

Cons

Almost everything just a few months in. After a series of unfortunate events and a few upper management departures things began to spiral out of control.

The Chicago office management is only worried about cost numbers and will cut corners to meet certain needs, including cutting employees. Management is egocentric and does not care about a happy work environment or pleasing their employees.

This is an office that never meets face to face with customers however Brady Corp enforces a strict dress code, inflexible work hours, no remote work even though every position in the office is capable of it, and rumors of actual time card tracking to make sure every single employee meets their hour quota. Micromanaging has been taken to the extreme in each department. It feels like Big Brother is watching.

Incompetency runs rampant throughout many roles in the office.

There is zero communication between the management and the actual office floor. Employees hear rumors and nothing else. The future is very uncertain and it seems things can change overnight for anyone. Office moral is at an absolute low or rather, it’s just 0.

I would not recommend this company for employment or investment.

Advice to Management

Learn to be leaders.

Being a boss does not mean being an ‘overprotective parent’. Invest in your employees and let them be involved in mission critical decisions when your lack of knowledge would deem necessary. Product launches have been delayed over the months due to management not understanding certain components but also not checking with those who might be qualified to give an accurate timeline.

"Worst management I've ever encountered"

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

None. Nada. Nil. Zip. Zilch.

Cons

The so called "management" in this organization is the epitome of everything that is wrong with corporate America. Unskilled, untalented, uninvolved "leaders" whose apparent only purpose is to drain the company like parasites and then move on to their next target. The most blatant example of cronyism and nepotism I've ever seen, the upper & middle management certainly did not earn their positions through brains, hard work, or passion & knowledge of the industry which BRADY is in. They only care about the daily numbers, they breathlessly await each day's earnings report the way a gambling addict is obsessed with nightly lottery numbers. They have zero long term vision or innovative plans. The subsidiary companies which BRADY owns around the country are in ruins. The Buffalo plant is a wreck, and they've virtually destroyed the long-standing SETON in New Haven, Connecticut. There is also a shocking lack of diversity in the company - if you aren't an upper middle class white male with a fancy degree and the right connections, then you are treated as a third class citizen who only exists to work hard to enrich the shareholders. No growth or opportunity to be had for the little people.
    (I would rate this place a Zero except that Glassdoor doesn't allow less than one star for some reason).

Advice to Management

Why bother? They have zero interest in what those beneath them have to say.

"Customer Service at Brady"

Current Employee - Cusomer Service in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cusomer Service in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Unethical practices

Management does not lead by example nor do they put the customer first.

Ongoing high turnover of highly talented individuals

Lack of communication, training, mentoring, and development of talent.

Low Pay, Upward movement is non-existent, not willing to retain talent, Old school culture, Very little sick time and PTO.

If you use your sick time you are penalized, therefore, it isn't really a benefit.

Archaic business practices, outdated software and the customer web based tools are at best, nonfunctional and not user friendly.

The current Management team is incredibly unethical, rude, prejudice, fake, and overall poor leaders.

Ultimately, you are a name next to a number on a balance sheet. It doesn't matter how long you've been with the company, skill set, experience, or contributions, they will cut you without a second thought since can be replaced by someone who they can pay less money than you.

They are a multimillion dollar company that cannot afford to purchase basic office supplies and equipment. We are told to purchase our own pens, notebooks and essentials that we need to do our jobs.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on the long term, and not this quarter so you can get your bonus.

Remember that your job is to support your employees, not the other way around.

Foster an environment in which your employees are valued.

Foster an environment where your employees are heard and respected.

Ask your employees for their input!

Stop leading by intimidation and stop pushing your agendas.

Don't stay in your office all day. Block some time to interact with your people face-to-face. Start with 15 minutes a day and increase it over time.

Your Brady values are a joke, the management team ignores them. Practice what you preach about company values...Integrity, Ethics?

Make your compensation competitive, develop your employees, recognize and retain talent.

Communicate more than you think you need to about not only the challenges we face, but the opportunities that these challenges bring for the right people to rise to the occasion and contribute more than they ever thought possible.

Invest in new technology to revitalize the company.

"Couldn't be worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came based on what I was told would be happening, which sounded great. As it turned out none of what I was promised or told I would be doing is really happening. There are a handful of nice people in the office.

Cons

Office environment and culture were already weak, now we have a dress code even though we don't see clients or customers. As an employee on salary I am asked to count my hours to make sure I get a minimum of 8 working hours in every day and not a minute less or the office leadership is watching over your shoulder. Lunch doesn't count for your 8 hours even if you work through your personal lunch. We've changed directions every month since I've been here. Turnover is constant, any talent left is all looking to leave, I was told there has been over 40 people that have left in the last 3 years and the office only has about 30 people in it. Management could care less about people, you are just a number to do work here in the assembly line of ideas that don't work. You won't learn anything here as nothing strategic or creative happens in the company. The least progressive company I have ever heard of - can't even work remote for a day every now and then, they ask you to take the full day off if you can't be in or have a Dr. appointment. Never get to leave early on a holiday weekend, zero happiness.

Advice to Management

Lose the dress code and the clock watching and treat us like we are professionals.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

Great Benefits
    Renovated Work Environment
    Volunteer events and opportunities

Cons

Very competitive environment
    Unethical practices
    SVP of HR does not lead by example
    Ongoing high turnover of highly talented individuals
    Lack of diversity and inclusion

Advice to Management

Foster an environment in which your employees are valued.
    Practice what you preach about company values...Integrity? HA!

"Micromanagment in the Extreme"

I have been working at Brady full-time

Pros

Good work/Life Balance, wonderful coworkers

Cons

Micromanagement: You literally will have to account for every minute of your day, and your manager will argue with you about it on a weekly basis. There is also no room to grow. You will stay where you are for as long as you work here.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their jobs and stop hounding them.

"If you're ok with mediocre..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Brady full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Loved the people I worked by and with. Everyone is cheerful and friendly.

The CFO is awesome, the CIO is very cool, and the CEO is making some good changes.

The work-life balance is great! Most managers are very understanding that life happens and allow for working from home as needed.

Cons

Horrible HR leader.

Brady seems to be ok with being mediocre, and it's never going to go anywhere.

There's a very clear divide between corporate and the businesses.

Advice to Management

If you want to make Brady a better place, start with HR! The current top is incredibly unethical, rude, prejudice, fake, and overall someone who should NOT be in HR.

10. "Uncertain future"

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

People. Challenging work. Location. History.

Cons

Upper management. People management (HR).

Advice to Management

There are too many leadership changes that force organization to change, pivot, re-organize company's priorities and people that support them. This leads to lot of changes in org structure. The way upper management and HR handle this is really subpar from my experience in corporate world. Lot of it don't make sense and they don't really care to explain it well. And when people leave, they don't care to back-fill these roles and someone else has to pick up more responsibilities. There's no clear direction and decisions made on whim/feel trumps data driven decisions. This leads to uncertainty for the company and one can't be secure about their future within the company.