Brady plc Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.8
Ian Jenks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Could be a Great company"

Former Employee - Computer in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Computer in Toledo, OH

I worked at Brady plc (More than a year)

Pros

they project a very professional image and they pay at or above averages. Good people who really try to care.

Cons

Management is very flaky at times. They can't seem to admit wrong directions.

Advice to Management

Try and listen to the people who know their software the best and quit trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.. Otherwise a very nice company that could be great.

"Terrible management team"

I worked at Brady plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to work with well respected trading companies

Cons

disorganization, clear lack of business knowledge and basic strategic skills in upper management

Jun 27, 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for the shout out about our well-respected trading customers. We are pleased that you had the opportunity to work with some of our world... More

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Brady plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people and decent benefits

Cons

Too much change in management and at least half the staff turned over. Very unorganized

Advice to Management

Keep the people with valuable knowledge

Jun 27, 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You are correct, 2017 did see a spike in our employee turnover, although far less than the 50% you mentioned. Unfortunately, increased employee... More

"Do not answer their emails or return their phone calls!"

I worked at Brady plc full-time

Pros

There used to be a lot great people working there that knew their what they were doing and took good care of their customers but they have been all run off by the incompetent leadership.

Cons

The sales team is a joke, the product team a shambles and customers are not happy. Employee moral is at a all time low. The answer to these problems was a management book called "Employees First" that Chairman Ian Jenks had to sign for extra inspiration before they were distributed to all employees. He was not the author. Any how, he failed realize that by handing out these books with great fanfare, he might just create an expectation amongst employees that their treatment may improve, it did not. There was no mistake however that senior staff certainly put themselves first and employees would remain, well last. Employee turnover is astonishing and so much talent is gone, replaced by well intentioned new employees that lack the skills to turn this company around and have no idea what a mess they are getting themselves into.

Advice to Management

Resign

Jun 27, 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thank you for your feedback.

It has been quite the journey for us since the book you mentioned was distributed more than a year ago and a lot has changed since. We reorganised the business... More

"Terrible upper management, many good staff still holding on"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A company with well designed products.

Cons

Ian Jenks is certainly inexperienced in the commodities area, which leads to the majority of employees rolling their eyes whenever he speaks. The recent restructuring process lead by Ian Jenks destroyed many functional aspects of the organization.

Advice to Management

The board needs to find a better CEO who can properly manage the growth of this company, and urgently remove Ian and Elizabeth.

"On the improve"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really great people work here making it a pleasure to come to work, even though it can be frustrating at times.
    There is clearly some work being done to try and improve things, but some more needs to be done.

Cons

There needs to be a serious review of the communication skills possessed by upper Management.
    There has been a lot of change over the last year and a half, and this has created some very angry ex-employees and a lack of trust with some current employees.

Advice to Management

Remember to put your employees first, if you don't prioritize their needs and satisfaction, then the business will not succeed.

"Thinking of taking a job with Brady – THINK Carefully"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, fruit and biscuits.

Cons

I have been an employee for Brady for over a year. I have not looked at GlassDoor for anything until recently but the situation at Brady made me have a look. After reading the reviews, I was compelled to add my view.

The postings are as bad as the situation feels, with a couple of “good” ones thrown in. It seems that most of the negative comments are about Senior Management and Product Management. I am not part of neither senior management nor product management but I do have interaction with both in my role.

I decided to ask around colleagues and friends at Brady to find out more about these comments to access the truthfulness of them.

The results that I have found are that by and large the negative comments are generally accurate—albeit some of them sound like they are from disgruntled current or ex-employees. The overwhelmingly positive ones are most certainly plants by HR.

The comments about the CPO (Chief Product Officer) Elizabeth Koehn accurately represent the general feeling in the company, but some of the posts are quite personal. However, in my dealing with her she is certainly manipulative and ruthless, but the biggest problem is that she changes her opinion continuously and refuses to listen to those who know more than she does.

It would seem that Brady have hired a CPO who does not understand the type of software we nor the customers we sell it to. Brady certainly needs a revamp of its products but is the CPO qualified to do it? The last on only lasted a year so I suspect this one only has a few more months to go.

The short version is that if you are thinking of taking a job with Brady you should think VERY carefully and weigh up all your options. We are getting rid of “senior” employees in favour of junior (mostly developers) employees rapidly.

Brady is a turnaround story—but it has been for years.

Advice to Management

Hire/retain people who understand the E/CTRM space.
    Rethink the CPO role--they MUST understand the business space and the products in order to have the vision required to move Brady forward.

"Long way to go with the current management"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time

Pros

Nice co-workers, good and innovative products, free coffee.

Cons

Our Chief Product Officer Libby Koehn, who is actually managing the company since 9 months, often appears to be likable and as such seems sensible and in control. Unfortunately she can often be manipulative, deceitful and ruthless. She cares a lot about her own success and her own image. We have a leader, who lacks the ability to encourage, build, and evolve a community of people united by a shared purpose. Autocratic and even distrustful of people, she often dictates what workers should do and rarely praises or even credits them for their good work. Libby is too focused on her own needs and insecurities, she gives little attention to what her employees experience at work. As a result, she doesn’t see what inspires or demotivates them. The biggest problem of Libby’s regime is her willingness to dispose of dedicated and committed product teams with unique domain knowledge, in favour of new hires.

Advice to Management

Keep the domain knowledge. Invest in people.

"Implementing change is never painless"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Genuine, and mostly positive efforts, by the management team to take the company to the next level of success
    Empowering, results oriented company culture
    Staff directly asked to contribute to values definition
    Some great staff who work very hard to make things better

Cons

A few long term employees are resistant to change. Their negative and hostile attitudes combined with the occasional acts of outright sabotage of newer staff and management creates unnecessary noise and tension

Advice to Management

Keep up with internal communications to eliminate fear of the unknown. When staff do not understand the need for change resistance is to be expected. This is especially true from those who strongly believe the old way of doing things was working well…and had done so for more than twenty years! Don't let the tail wag the dog!

Jul 4, 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you very much for your comments. Although we are still on a journey to continue to build our company culture, we certainly share your enthusiasm for the future.

The Values refresh project... More

"Failing Fast"

Pros

It was the sense of community and understanding of the clients and markets. A loyal client base who were willing to stick by us but were pressing for development

Cons

The extraordinary positive review was obviously written by someone in HR and there are an oddly high proportion of them. Brady needed to take some steps to improve product and revenue but they have decimated both and removed a huge amount of knowledge from the team. Market reputation is now dire and the competition is laughing. When does the money run out we should be asking?

Advice to Management

Stop the fake news. Investors - throw out the management. Saying you are a CEO does not make you one. Regurgitating markets knowledge does not make you an authority Management are patting each other on the back as hard as they are stamping on the heads of the team who are down already. Listen to the people who know the clients and the market.