Brady plc Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Ian Jenks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Terrible upper management, many good staff still holding on"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A company with well designed products.

Cons

Ian Jenks is certainly inexperienced in the commodities area, which leads to the majority of employees rolling their eyes whenever he speaks. The recent restructuring process lead by Ian Jenks destroyed many functional aspects of the organization.

Advice to Management

The board needs to find a better CEO who can properly manage the growth of this company, and urgently remove Ian and Elizabeth.

2. "It's ok"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Some nice people, flexible hours,good buzzwords for cv. Good office location, reasonable salary if you're one of the old timers at least

Cons

Atrocious legacy software, the worst I've ever seen in 15 years of software development. Amazingly they then replace it with an even worse replacement web framework that uses 10 million different languages. All changes have to be reviewed by insanely pedantic obsessive maniac personailtes. Frequently saw screaming and shouting about minor software decisions... no pay increases apart from the old timers

Advice to Management

Stop letting the tail wag the dog

"Starting to work things out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Board of Directors, led by Ian Jenks, listened to employee feedback and took action. The 'COO' whose agressive restructure plan created such chaos in 2017 is gone! We got a great gift for the new year - a new experienced senior management team with actual software company experience. Early signs indicate they have a strong vision for the future and a detailed plan for exactly how to get there. I'm optomistic!!!

Cons

Rocky last year. Fortunately company acknowledged problems, took corrective action and now appears on the mend.

Advice to Management

Stick to the plan! I like what I've heard and seen recently.

"Great potential at Brady Plc"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Empowering management - good industry focus

Cons

Some people in geographical parts of business resist integration with rest of company and complain about change

Advice to Management

Don't tolerate people who are determined to undermine you

"Rudderless"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time

Pros

Still has some good people.

Cons

Really weak leadership who change strategy every few weeks.

Advice to Management

Pick a stratgey and see it through.

"Getting there"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time

Pros

Great team spirit and many smart people joined who are bringing experience and know-how. There is a lot of improvement in the software development process. Changes towards new and more modular products and big data are exciting.

Cons

The current change is taxing. Looking forward to things settling down in 2018.

Advice to Management

Give clearer goals each year so people can use their autonomy effectively.

"Brady: How not to run a company"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a job not a life sentence.

The people you work with every day are, for the most part, excellent, talented and genuine people with a fraternal approach to work.

The COO is no longer COO.

It gives you a new appreciation for the phrase 'It could be worse'

The Walking Dead are confined to upper management

Cons

The 'strategy' and 'vision' of the company appears to be divined from tea leaves.

Consensus from leadership is it is the fault of the employees that the company is suffering on all conceivable fronts.

This is in the aftermath of a company wide survey (with 75%+ engagement) that has employee satisfaction at sub 5% with certain aspects of the business.

18 months ago new leadership came in that threw the baby out with the bathwater. The matriarchal figure within the company, if we are to follow a familial theme, is an addict to technology buzzword bingo, changes processes and focus so readily and so willingly between ideas both bereft of technical understanding or indeed any grasp on reality whatsoever that her 'roadmap to success' basically looks like a schizophrenic drew a map of Spaghetti Junction with an Etch a Sketch during Hurricane Katrina.

As a direct result, product knowledge and mass resignations at the lunacy have been a staple of the last 18 months with a regularity approaching that of a healthy bowl movement. Former colleagues wave at us as we pass them in the street with a spring in their step as we trudge toward an abattoir for the human spirit.

The patriarchal figures deny any and all wrong doing with a veracity of George Best denying he has a drink problem and the vigor of the Westborough Baptist Church picketing San Francisco's Pride Parade. Their principal complaint is that developing software costs money. It is of course the responsibility of everyone other than Sales to generate revenue and in this regard, our brazen desire to be paid to create software is counter to the Juche-esque ideology our leadership require. What is an upside to this is that its next to impossible for it to be any more clear how little time/respect these people have for the people trying to keep the ship afloat as, like the Virgin Mary on her wedding night, they scream for more while clients are more likely to talk to us through the magic circle than email. With ever dwindling resources, they may be dragged from the golf club sooner rather than later to account for the sucking chest wound they've inflicted on a once great company. I fear it will be too late.

Advice to Management

When the bailiffs come and we must vacate the premises, employees first.

(We can't trust you to not foot us with the bill while misspelling our names on your way to another armchair position. )

"Enjoying my time here"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time

Pros

I'm enjoying my time here at Brady. I feel my role is quite independent and my Manager trusts me to get the job done. Talented and friendly colleagues to work with. Good work/life balance with flexible hours.

Cons

There has been a lot of change in company over the past year or so. While I can see this needed to be done I'd say it could have been better communicated to staff by management.

Advice to Management

Articulate more clearly our vision and reasons behind any change.

"Product"

Current Employee - Product
    Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Life balance
    Good pay package

Cons

Mismanagement
    No new clients
    No quality work

"Breaking point is near. 2018 looks bleak"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with and learning from some incredibly talented and passionate people across the company.
    Potential is recognised, nurtured and rewarded.

Cons

Massive disconnect between upper management and the rest of the company - unclear strategy is filtering down as a series of pie in the sky buzz words.
    Departments are massively understaffed following the restructure - emphasis is being put onto new products/teams at the cost of established production software and the teams supporting them.
    Leavers are not replaced from departments/product lines which "no longer fall under the strategic vision" meaning already understaffed teams are are breaking point.
    Key people have either left or changed roles leaving huge gaps in knowledge, expertise and manpower alienating clients and overworking the most knowledgable people left.

Advice to Management

Recruit into the understaffed departments, you have some great people - you'll miss them when they're gone!