Brady plc Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Carmen Carey
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Could be a Great company"

Former Employee - Computer in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Computer in Toledo, OH

I worked at Brady plc (More than a year)

Pros

they project a very professional image and they pay at or above averages. Good people who really try to care.

Cons

Management is very flaky at times. They can't seem to admit wrong directions.

Advice to Management

Try and listen to the people who know their software the best and quit trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.. Otherwise a very nice company that could be great.

Sep 5, 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thank you for your comments, appreciate your acknowledgement that we do try hard. We don’t get things right all the time, but together with the team we do feel that we are on a good path. When you... More

"Terrible management team"

I worked at Brady plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to work with well respected trading companies

Cons

disorganization, clear lack of business knowledge and basic strategic skills in upper management

Jun 27, 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for the shout out about our well-respected trading customers. We are pleased that you had the opportunity to work with some of our world... More

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Brady plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people and decent benefits

Cons

Too much change in management and at least half the staff turned over. Very unorganized

Advice to Management

Keep the people with valuable knowledge

Jun 27, 2018 – Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You are correct, 2017 did see a spike in our employee turnover, although far less than the 50% you mentioned. Unfortunately, increased employee... More

"Do not answer their emails or return their phone calls!"

I worked at Brady plc full-time

Pros

There used to be a lot great people working there that knew their what they were doing and took good care of their customers but they have been all run off by the incompetent leadership.

Cons

The sales team is a joke, the product team a shambles and customers are not happy. Employee moral is at a all time low. The answer to these problems was a management book called "Employees First" that Chairman Ian Jenks had to sign for extra inspiration before they were distributed to all employees. He was not the author. Any how, he failed realize that by handing out these books with great fanfare, he might just create an expectation amongst employees that their treatment may improve, it did not. There was no mistake however that senior staff certainly put themselves first and employees would remain, well last. Employee turnover is astonishing and so much talent is gone, replaced by well intentioned new employees that lack the skills to turn this company around and have no idea what a mess they are getting themselves into.

Advice to Management

Resign

Jun 27, 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thank you for your feedback.

It has been quite the journey for us since the book you mentioned was distributed more than a year ago and a lot has changed since. We reorganised the business... More

"Terrible upper management, many good staff still holding on"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A company with well designed products.

Cons

Ian Jenks is certainly inexperienced in the commodities area, which leads to the majority of employees rolling their eyes whenever he speaks. The recent restructuring process lead by Ian Jenks destroyed many functional aspects of the organization.

Advice to Management

The board needs to find a better CEO who can properly manage the growth of this company, and urgently remove Ian and Elizabeth.

"Forever changing, poorly delivering"

Former Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Brady plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, friendly colleagues, okay pay

Cons

Continual wholesale change, never take the time to settle and allow change to work. Ancient software. Grown by acquisition without ever integrating people or technology. New sales suffer from dinosaur leadership - aren’t led or support properly - Brady never win anything!

Advice to Management

Bring in fresh new business sales leadership, with a strategy, focus and energy to execute

"I pray it's not too late"

Former Employee - Product in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Product in London, England (UK)

I worked at Brady plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great culture.
    It is certainly a great place to learn and a positive foot in the door for people who want to work in the Software Industry for the commodity market.

The people you work with are genuinely interested in the success of the Business and are really doing the best to rescue a company that, unfortunately, has not been doing well for quite some time now.

Cons

I did not observer any particular downsides during my time at Brady, but perhaps I wasn't there for very long.

Advice to Management

Put the right people with the right talent in place and never undermine your employees.
    Libby has done an amazing job in re-connect with Brady customer bases, but new customers and sales are required urgently.
    Using my heart, I wish all the best to Brady, but if I am using my brain, I fear it is now too late to turn it around.

"A great company to work"

I have been working at Brady plc full-time

Pros

The atmosphere is really nice, there is a good team spirit and I feel like I can talk to anyone.

I am learning from this experience, management gives us clear goals and is involved in our progresses.

I particularly appreciate Brady's trust toward its employees, which is highly motivating. I have the opportunity to take decisions in my field of action and this is rewarding.

Cons

A clearer promotion scheme, if any, would be nice,

"Don't believe everything you read"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Brady plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great colleagues
    Interesting marketplace and the company is committed to placing its customers at the center of all they do
    Public company (profitable and debt free as can be see on their financial disclosures)
    Company makes significant investment in employee training and leadership development programs
    Some really excellent new hires including some great folks who quit that decided to rejoin the company
    Flexible working environment and nice new modern offices in London, Bergan and Halden
    Salaries are higher than industry average
    Free coffee, fruit and snacks

Cons

This is my first time posting on Glassdoor. I am responding to several negative postings which do not reflect the company I work for. It seems like the company, several senior managers and anyone who writes anything positive about the company have been unfairly attacked on this site. Brady recently went through a much needed reorganization and, as expected, it was rough. A few long term employees (aka the dinosaurs) could not get it through their heads that their outdated skills and historic lack of execution could/would lead to a company-wide extinction event. Management could have done a better job at explaining why we needed to change, but overall my feeling is that the changes have been positive. We are better off today than in the past and the most recent employee engagement survey shows that most of the staff at Brady feel like I do.

Some of us left Brady and some of us have now returned. In the past few years we lost a few 'domain experts' along the way, but then again any 'domain expert' that hasn't kept up with technology, the market, undermines their colleagues or is prone to hyperbole (in a software company) is not much of a loss.

Advice to Management

Things are better now than the last time I worked for Brady. Deal with the non performing staff and the trolls! Improve your communications and get everyone on the same page.

Sep 6, 2018 – Executive Chairman

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comment and providing your view of our business. I agree we are on a good path at the moment, focussing on our customers, employee training initiatives... More

"Enjoyed my time at Brady but some odd decisions and people"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Brady plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continued to move forward with the latest technology
    Well structured work plans and good use of Agile
    Had good social events

Cons

I found some people there overbearing and not very nice to work with, and to me it seemed that people that were there a while were listened to more even if they made bad decisions

I found the fact that I was never able to do code reviews as the newest developer on the team quite unusual

Advice to Management

I think most things were going right then - just have to be careful with ignoring your younger and less experienced colleagues as just because they have an idea that isn't immediately obviously a good fit, it might be worth a go. And people often learn from their mistakes, or from others' mistakes

Oct 11, 2018 – Chief Product Officer

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write a review.

Appreciate your comments around making sure that everyone’s voice is heard equally, this is something we are working hard on... More