Brafton Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Brafton President Tom Agnew
Tom Agnew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Brafton provides a really nice work life balance - with an added bonus of getting to work from home one day a week" (in 50 reviews)

• "Work-life balance seems to be very good" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can become a challenge" (in 14 reviews)

• "Upper management would rather lock clients into contracts rather than give the creative teams the resources they need to actually make clients happy" (in 20 reviews)

"A great place to work and grow!"

I have been working at Brafton full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Forward thinking company with an incredible culture and talented staff. Great location in downtown Boston.

Cons

Not much negative to say

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate and stay ahead of the constantly changing market

"Great people, lots of progression"

I have been working at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had a really positive experience working at Brafton. Two things really stand out for me:
    1) they attract and retain really great people. They consistently reward hard work, results and loyalty with rapid progression. And they have some real rock stars with solid tenure in the business as a result;
    2) they use the same products and services and the same teams to do both client work and their own inbound marketing. Evidence for me that they have real faith in what they sell.

Cons

Digital marketing is a tough industry with lots of competition and constant change. You have to be smart, robust and committed to succeed at Brafton. Not everyone is up to it.

"Brafton Allowed Me to Grow and Learn as a Professional"

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience as an employee at Brafton. I loved my boss! She was extremely supportive and helpful throughout my entire time at Brafton. I had a tremendous amount of 1-on-1 time with my boss my boss, provided a great environment to learn. Brafton provides a really nice work life balance - with an added bonus of getting to work from home one day a week. I learned more than I ever thought I would and I'm extremely grateful for my time at Brafton!

Cons

I really don't have any noteworthy cons.

"Great place to learn and grow as a professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a positive experience at Brafton over the course of 3.5 years working in the editorial department.

Management: My direct manager was fabulous and the exec team was always willing to listen to employee feedback.

Flexibility: I really appreciated the flexibility to work from home 2 days per week. I also didn't feel pressured to arrive at precisely 8:30 a.m. or anything like that. As long as you do a great job, the hours are flexible in the editorial department.

Fast-pace: The workload is high and the pace is fast, but if you are someone who works quickly and enjoys keeping busy that's a plus! I never watched the clock waiting for the day to end. In fact, it was the opposite - every day flew by.

Professional development: If you want to learn about the content marketing industry, develop new skills and build your portfolio, this is a great place to do that.

Office: The office is in the Financial District and a short walk from South Station. It's a nice open loft-style building with lots of windows and natural light.

Dress code: The dress code is casual - you only need to dress up for client visits.

Co-workers: It's a fun, casual environment with lots of great, nice people.

Travel: I had opportunities to travel to NYC, Chicago, Miami and St. Louis.

Future opportunities: I rated Brafton a 5 for career opportunities because working here for 3-5 years will open many doors.

Cons

***Something that needs to be said*** I was 34 when I started at Brafton. Compared to some of the jobs I had held in the past, Brafton was wonderful. Many people come to Brafton straight out of college and therefore have nothing to compare it to. So when you see people say this was the worst job ever, take it with a grain of salt.

Is Brafton perfect? Heck no. Were there days that were stressful? Yes. Am I happy I worked here for 3.5 years? Absolutely! Leaving for a new opportunity is bittersweet.

Change: This company has been in business for more than a decade but it's still in startup mode - things are constantly changing. For me, this was good because it kept me from getting bored. But for people who don't like change, this can be stressful.

Salaries: In the creative departments, salaries are low.

Advice to Management

Make training mandatory and build it into writer logs.

Make training sessions more industry-focused and less product- and process-focused.

Let writers log units for meetings and topic generation.

5. "Web Developer"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good exposure to a variety of web technologies. You never know what you'll see next. Really great, friendly people.

Cons

A lot of wordpress. PHP sucks, what can you do. The company's business is tied to client relationships. You can imagine how that goes. Not really a place with an engineering roadmap, at least not at the Boston office.

6. "BDR"

I have been working at Brafton full-time

Pros

Nice people. Decent entry level opportunities.

Cons

Workload is immense and management is disconnected.

7. "Allright, but lots of room for improvement"

Former Employee - Content Marketing Strategist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Content Marketing Strategist in Boston, MA

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my time at Brafton, I loved all of the opportunities for learning. I learned a lot and there were lots of people and resources to help me learn even more.

Cons

Change takes absolutely forever to happen, if at all. I tried multiple times to put forward plans/ideas/proposals for new roles and processes, and was always thanked to death and said that I would be heard, but nothing ever came of it.

While I understand that it has been a few years since I worked there, I will say that in the '14-'16 time frame, there was a lot of favoritism. I never was on the wrong end of it as I felt I was treated relatively fairly, there are certain members of management who gave staff members that they liked extra priveledges, or breaks that other staff members didn't get.

Also, the workload was at times unmanageable. I have heard that it has gotten better, but there was a time where the writers and CMS were being expected to do way too much. The only way to get it all done was to work 60 hours per week, which our compensation did not inspire us to do.

Advice to Management

Be proactive instead of reactive when it comes to change and solutions to problems.
    Stop playing favorites and treat people fairly.
    Show your employees you value them by paying them what they deserve.

8. "Great place to start"

I worked at Brafton full-time

Pros

Opportunities for promotion due to quick turnover
    Great coworkers
    Fun atmosphere

Cons

Lots of reorganization
    Client demands
    High turnover rate

9. "Oh Brafton"

I worked at Brafton full-time

Pros

Made great friends and had awesome co workers. Learned a lot about the industry. Supervisors/managers were always helpful and supportive. Great Boston location. Office was very nice.

Cons

The quota was hard to hit. The industry is very saturated, which makes marketing a hard sell. A lot of companies have a negative stigma towards Brafton (either worked with them in the past or have heard negative things about them), which makes it even more hard to sell. Lack of communication between departments. A lot of internal restructuring.

"Recap of five years in different roles at the company"

Former Employee - Content Marketing Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Content Marketing Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brafton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly flexible work schedules, can work from home often; company is currently well in tune with present SEO best practices; get to work with many different clients/customer industries; ideal work environment for self-starters.

Cons

Pay for production positions not great, inconsistencies in management styles across managers/supervisors.

Advice to Management

Ensure managers have the time and resources to adequately train and fully support staff, and that team members receive compensation adequate for their contributions to the company. Keep up the great work with the website and SEO/digital marketing trainings!