KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Brafton

Engaged Employer

Brafton

Add a Review

Brafton Employee Reviews about "brafton"

Updated Oct 25, 2018

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "level management just give him a slap on the wrist?(in 19 reviews)
  • "Pay is low.(in 18 reviews)
  • "The upper management could care less how the writers feel.(in 16 reviews)
  • "Low salary.(in 13 reviews)
  • "In my experience, there were some problems with account management (CMS team), which usually included certain account managers making promises to clients without checking with the people who would actually be doing the work to see if those deadlines were even possible.(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "brafton"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee

Get all you can out of it and then leave

Aug 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Probably the most valuable aspects of Brafton – as others have mentioned – are the relationships you're able to build with your coworkers. I can honestly say some of my closest friends are my former colleagues. This is bound to happen when you're working in a business that generally skews on the younger side, which is great when you're transitioning from your college life into the real world. I can also say that I was always given the ability to have a semi-flexible schedule, which is why I stayed at Brafton as long as I did. While most people wouldn't consider this a "pro" per se, it really helped to have a job you could kind of coast through while you pursued other passions to pay off in the long run. Another pro to Brafton is that you get a lot of experience. You just have to make sure it works in your favor. Think about what you really want to add to your resume and act on it. Want to shadow social media to learn more about it? Go for it. Thinking about a career in customer service? Listen to how account managers build relationships with clients. Don't fully understand what you're supposed to be doing? Read some of the articles the creative marketing team publishes. All of this will help you in the long run as you begin to look for your next role.

Cons

My biggest piece of advice would be if you have any prior business knowledge, run FAR away. It will only hurt your brain. I can't even begin to count the number of times during my tenure that I sat in on a meeting discussing processes, strategies, future ideas, what have you, and thought that I was in a spinoff of 'The Office.' Yes, there are truths behind the idea of startup culture, but Brafton has also been around for more than six years at this point and it's still dangerously lagging behind what other agencies are doing. Do not get me wrong; there are PLENTY of creative people at Brafton. The problem is, they're bogged down with more accounts than some boutique agencies have in total, and do not have the time or the energy to fully execute their awesome ideas. Instead, Brafton puts a million processes in place that don't add any value to the clients or the employees, which brings me to my next point…. To succeed, Brafton NEEDS to hire people to run teams from the outside. You have people who have been promoted into roles they have absolutely no business being in, and the company ultimately suffers for it. It's not these people's faults completely, they just don't know any better because Brafton is their only experience. You can only wing it so far before you start to do real damage. The good news is this kind of behavior wouldn't fly in most established companies, which is all the more reason for those smart enough to leave Brafton after one year. Seriously. Get your experience and go. The longer you stay, the harder it is to come out on the other side unscathed. This brings me to my final point… I never really realized just how miserable I was at Brafton until I found another job in a stable environment. Don't misconstrue my words – I can't count the number of days I sat at my desk and thought to myself 'wow, I'm so miserable' – what I mean is, for the first few months at my new position, every time I turned something in, I winced. 'How many things are wrong with what I just handed in?' 'Will my idea be called stupid only to have someone else take credit for it three months later?' 'Can't wait to work really late tonight just to do it all over again tomorrow.' My self-confidence was shot. But never fear! In the real world, people will encourage you for a job well done. They'll be SHOCKED at the amount of work you can get done in a day. Your new peers will marvel at the vast knowledge of the digital realm you have but were never able to fully execute at Brafton because you also had 50 other to-dos for that day alone. You won't be rewarded for a job well done with more work than any human can physically handle. You won't be given a title that means absolutely nothing and essentially prevents you from being taken seriously elsewhere. You won't have to sit in meetings and listen to people belittle you for thinking a different way. Instead, you'll simply be appreciated. You'll leave work at a normal time. And you'll notice you're a lot less on edge.

10 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A+ growth opportunities, excellent place to learn

Jan 7, 2018 - Account Director in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was promoted three times over my 3-year career at Brafton. It was my first job out of college and I arguably did not have the complete skill set needed when I first started. Brafton is a great place to learn and grow as an individual. However, the people that work there are hands down the best part. I made some of my best friends at this company and they are truly what made me excited to come to work each day. The clients are also usually willing to take risks and responsive to new ideas.

Cons

On the flip side, clients can sometimes be stuck in their ways and unwillingly to try new things which can make the job seem somewhat mundane. Upper management does a good job with escalated client issues but can sometimes be out of tune with what goes on on a daily basis. I always appreciated the fact that I wasn't micromanaged but did also feel like upper management wasn't always aware of the great work we were doing and what it took to get that work done.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to learn and grow as a professional

Aug 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had a positive experience at Brafton over the course of 3.5 years working in the editorial department. Management: My direct manager was fabulous and the exec team was always willing to listen to employee feedback. Flexibility: I really appreciated the flexibility to work from home 2 days per week. I also didn't feel pressured to arrive at precisely 8:30 a.m. or anything like that. As long as you do a great job, the hours are flexible in the editorial department. Fast-pace: The workload is high and the pace is fast, but if you are someone who works quickly and enjoys keeping busy that's a plus! I never watched the clock waiting for the day to end. In fact, it was the opposite - every day flew by. Professional development: If you want to learn about the content marketing industry, develop new skills and build your portfolio, this is a great place to do that. Office: The office is in the Financial District and a short walk from South Station. It's a nice open loft-style building with lots of windows and natural light. Dress code: The dress code is casual - you only need to dress up for client visits. Co-workers: It's a fun, casual environment with lots of great, nice people. Travel: I had opportunities to travel to NYC, Chicago, Miami and St. Louis. Future opportunitiespportunitiespportunities: I rated Brafton a 5 for career opportunities because working here for 3-5 years will open many doors.

Cons

***Something that needs to be said*** I was 34 when I started at Brafton. Compared to some of the jobs I had held in the past, Brafton was wonderful. Many people come to Brafton straight out of college and therefore have nothing to compare it to. So when you see people say this was the worst job ever, take it with a grain of salt. Is Brafton perfect? Heck no. Were there days that were stressful? Yes. Am I happy I worked here for 3.5 years? Absolutely! Leaving for a new opportunity is bittersweet. Change: This company has been in business for more than a decade but it's still in startup mode - things are constantly changing. For me, this was good because it kept me from getting bored. But for people who don't like change, this can be stressful. Salaries: In the creative departments, salaries are low.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Brafton is a company that doesn't know what it's doing, nor does it care.

Jul 3, 2013 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Offers a sense of what working in an office environment is like for many post graduates right out of college - editorial, graphics, social media, account management and sales. Allows employees to gain experience with a variety of essential management skills, such as working as part of a team, meeting deadlines and communicating with clients. Many young people working in Brafton's various departments makes for a relaxed and congenial atmosphere (in most cases). It's easy to make friends at Brafton if you're social and kind find a moment out of your day to talk with coworkers. There are managers who seem genuinely interested in the well-being of their team members and making positive changes at Brafton. Flexible schedule. While there is a lot of work, you can largely adjust your hours and workload when needed. One day working from home every week can also be a nice change of pace when your schedule allows it.

Cons

While I'm aware of the benefits of working at Brafton - with many of the most compelling reasons listed above - the cons significantly outweigh the pros in my opinion. And based on the string of other negative reviews on this site, it's clear I'm not alone. Any overly positive reviews have definitely been written by management at Brafton, and they're only creating more frustration and bad feelings among the staff. The worst part is that Brafton has the potential to be a better company. There are people who care and could make a difference given the authority to do so. However, an uncaring upper management and the sheer momentum of flawed business models propelling Brafton along make any real changes seem highly unlikely. One of the reviews listed above calls out writers for being ungrateful for Brafton providing them with job in their field in the first place. However, Brafton's general mistreatment of its editorial staff, the bulk of the company's staff responsible for producing its actual product, is shameful. For a company that flaunts its rapid growth and innovation, it relies on nickel and diming employees at every turn. Upper and middle management routinely break promises or alter deals in order to deny editorial staff fair treatment, wages and opportunities for advancement. This is either the result of a complete lack of sympathy for young people facing rising costs of living in Boston and Chicago and skyrocketing student loan rates, or its total unawareness that employees generally feel cheated. In the few instances that management does address employees' frustration, its usually with more empty promises and half-baked ideas toward progress. Writers tapped for promotions often find themselves in situations where there is no actual job description in place, despite management's instance that their new role with incude duties x, y and z. It's only after writers accept the promotion that they understand they will now be doing double the work with new obligations outside of their supposed job description for a raise of maybe $1,000 or $2,000 dollars. This is assuming they've met the criteria of the "skills matrix," which either seems to exist or still be in development depending on the needs of management. Brafton's biggest issue is that it is a sales-driven company that does not understand its own product. What's the result of this business school dropout level of common sense? An extremely high turnover rate for employees as well as clients. I would say 95% of Brafton's staff has one foot out the door, and clients are constantly canceling their contracts with the company. This is because the sales department promises the sky to other companies with terrible business sense, and Brafton's overworked, underpaid and under-resourced editorial and account management staff members have to clean up the mess. Even with writers leaving Brafton with or without new job prospects on a weekly basis, sales continues to bring in new, misinformed clients that the company just can't handle.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's a marketing agency unlike any other, and not necessarily in a good way.

Aug 10, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people that work at Brafton on the production side really are talented and enjoyable to work with. At times the clients and tasks really make people go crazy, so it's comforting having co-workers that know exactly what you're going through. The entire HR department (which didn't exist until last year) and some individuals on upper management are terrific too. I think a lot of them DO care about Brafton's employees, but they're just caught in this messed up business model and can't get approval to make the necessary changes to turn things around. Everyone's just struggling to survive within the territory, sadly. Brafton offers very good health benefits and does well with promoting its employees. Sometimes the promotions are necessary because of turnover rate, but all-in-all it's very easy to get a solid resume from working your way up in the company. The company's new project is holding 'stakeholder groups' for specific clients. It allows everyone from the various departments to get together and help strengthen a particular client's strategy. It's a great step forward into making Brafton run more like an integrated marketing agency instead of just some SEO content farm. I hope they continue in that direction and work out the kinks because it's probably one of the only things that can save the agency.

Cons

Brafton salaries are embarrassingly low when compared to other agency competitors in the industry, plain and simple. For a company that has offices in Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco, it seems logical to pay salaries that at least try to match what would be acceptable for people to actually afford to live and work in those cities. Not the case, though. In my experience, there were some problems with account management (CMS team), which usually included certain account managers making promises to clients without checking with the people who would actually be doing the work to see if those deadlines were even possible. Not managing client expectations is a big flaw that some CMS's just could never do, and sometimes it would lead to arguments, nasty gchat conversations, and a negative work environment. There are about 4 conference rooms in Boston, making it nearly impossible to have private meetings sometimes. The company outgrew the space a long time ago, but I heard they're moving next year so that's good. Here's hoping that when they move, the new office actually looks like a cool agency. It's hard to feel creative when the space looks completely boring and uninspiring. Many clients have NDA's so a lot of the awesome work done for them can never be showcased. Notice how the company doesn't even share client names on its own website. Funny enough though, the client portfolio is huge. Too huge. Having around 600 clients is just ridiculous, and if you charge clients a suitable price for your services you can get rid of the bad/rude ones whose industries have no business being in content marketing in the first place. The writers, designers, video people, and social media team produce some excellent work that can go unnoticed sometimes. It'd be great if those employees got to focus more on awesome client projects that actually go somewhere instead of struggling with angry, unresponsive clients who want nothing to do with the company.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Great coworkers!

Apr 13, 2020 - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Brafton is filled with really smart employees who truly care about what they do and care about each other.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a bit difficult during some parts of the month, and the client load was larger than what I was told to expect during my training. Not much room for growth within departments unless your manager leaves.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0

Brafton Allowed Me to Grow and Learn as a Professional

Sep 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had a great experience as an employee at Brafton. I loved my boss! She was extremely supportive and helpful throughout my entire time at Brafton. I had a tremendous amount of 1-on-1 time with my boss my boss, provided a great environment to learn. Brafton provides a really nice work life balance - with an added bonus of getting to work from home one day a week. I learned more than I ever thought I would and I'm extremely grateful for my time at Brafton!

Cons

I really don't have any noteworthy cons.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

8+ Years with this amazing company

Feb 1, 2021 - Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work flexibility, freedom to explore any and all ideas, trust in employees, and career advancement opportunities. I started at Brafton as an account manager and have since moved up to chief marketing officer. That type of upward momentum only happens in organizations that value input from every corner of the business, regardless of title.

Cons

Highly competitive - we constantly have to fight to stay on top.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Serious company, but friendly.

Feb 10, 2022 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Brafton were enthusiastic and totally committed to what they were doing. In that sense they walk the talk. It is a serious company with a strong focus on objectives, but the people were generally approachable and friendly. The company provided positive feedback on good work in company meetings. People from different departments did generally seem to appreciate each others efforts. The company generally seems to promote from within. Both project management and creative staff are financial rewarded for the ongoing success of what they do, beyond the base salary. Whilst this could always be higher, the principle is important, and not universal in this space.

Cons

As the pandemic developed, the company moved to professionalise its work from home operations. Initially these were a little disjointed, but as time developed, a more sustained effort was made to integrate, communicate, and support those who had moved to remote working. They need to keep on developing these.

Be the first to find this review helpful