Brahmin Leather Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Susan Thacker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best Kept Secret"

I have been working at Brahmin Leather Works full-time

Pros

Brahmin is a big company in a small town. No need to travel to the city to find a career. Brahmin offers great work/home life balance which works out great for moms and dads!! They are still small enough for office parties to include the entire office, however run a business world wide. Brahmin is a great place to work. Great Benefits and tuition reimbursement and more..

Cons

I have read some of the online reviews from previous employees and some that claim they are still employed and I am guessing that Brahmin was not a good fit for those individuals and that happens. Anyone can find a CON in a JOB. But can they sit back and look at and appreciate what they are getting from an employer. The hours are basically 7-3:30 for most individuals ....PERK !!!! Brahmin lets you take your creative side and go.... Maybe that is what the problem was with the complaining individuals...Maybe the didn't know how to get their job done with out constant direction. What ever the case may be... Brahmin is the best kept secret out of the city in a great area.

Advice to Management

Keep the activities and the family feel.

Apr 11, 2019 – hr manager

Brahmin appreciates your feedback.
    Brahmin strives to have a warm welcoming environment. We work many hours in these walls and our goal is to make it feel like home. Our intent is to continue... More

"Degrading"

I worked at Brahmin Leather Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive about this company! NOTHING!

Cons

CEO Susan Thacker is malicious, degrading, demeaning and bullies other women to feel superior.

She belittles her colleagues to make herself feel better about her inability to be a successful leader.

Working at this company is equivalent to subjecting yourself to toxic, negative, poison on a daily basis.

"The horror stories are true, and it’s frightening."

Current Employee - Corporate in Fairhaven, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Fairhaven, MA

I have been working at Brahmin Leather Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quality product (thanks to the design team factory employees)

Cons

Nepotism
    Micromanagement
    Unqualified upper management
    Inept HR department
    No freedom (you’re basically on lock down from 7-3:30)
    Extremely toxic, stay away.

Advice to Management

After all the employee reviews, we’ve been hoping for change. But obviously management is happy with the culture as is. I’ll give no advice, just a warning to any potential candidates.

Jan 18, 2019 – hr manager

Over the last few years Brahmin has made strides to become an employer of choice. We have updated many of our policies to mirror our neighboring business'. To name a few; summer Fridays, flexible... More

"Poor Corporate management"

I worked at Brahmin Leather Works full-time

Pros

none = management want yes sayers - opinions not optional

Cons

Team work starts at the top

Advice to Management

embrace your employees - do not alienate and undermine

"Close to Going Under"

I worked at Brahmin Leather Works full-time

Pros

Unfortunately, it may be too little, too late

Cons

The company continues to quickly go downhill. The inexperienced CEO doesn't understand the basics of running the business. As talented people quickly come and go, the company is left with the people who are not fit to complete their duties. This is a prime example of a "Mom and Pop" trying to make it big and failing.

Advice to Management

Start by firing the CEO and HR. This may alleviate the majority of the problems. Bring in an experienced CEO who can assess the business and get it on the right course. Pay close attention to how things are being run within each department. The company has potential, but is just being mis-run for a few years now.

Oct 8, 2018 – hr manager

Brahmin continues to feel confident in our future as does our recently named partner.

"Key Holder"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Brahmin Leather Works part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, Schedule accommodated, commission pay

Cons

No growth opportunities, not enough staff, commission structure could be better

"Time for change!"

I worked at Brahmin Leather Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product but lacking in new designs. Company stands behind their product.

Cons

It is apparent , there are substantial corporate workplace problems at Brahmin. Employees are leaving the company, at a rapid rate. The mass exodus of employees speaks to an unhealthy corporate environment. The consistent remarks about the company management team, should be a “red flag” for the Board of Directors and the owners of the company. Perhaps, a shake up in upper management is due to restore the once positive, creative and supportive workplace.
    This review reflects the work experience at the end of my employment. The experience earlier in my experience would have been much more positive.

Advice to Management

Brahmin has lost some dedicated and hardworking employees, on all levels. It is time for the company to make necessary changes to recreate a healthy work place environment. The company once listened to employee input. Time to make changes! Actions speak louder than words-listen to and react to the spike in dissatisfaction amongst your employee base.

"Perspective Matters"

I have been working at Brahmin Leather Works full-time

Pros

I've only been at Brahmin a short time but I made it a point to walk through the door each with open eyes and a positive attitude. What I like best about Brahmin (so far) is the overall dedication and the camaraderie. Of course we are all busy with our independent work, but most peers do make time to listen to ideas or to connect and develop professionally. I've been surprised about Brahmin's growth and how hot their products have become, especially being based in a smaller seaside city like Fairhaven. I see Brahmin as the perfect place to gain big business experience in a smaller family-owned company . I'm excited about where Brahmin is headed.

Cons

Good and meaningful teamwork takes dedication and commitment and I feel that we can do an all-around better job if we keep this in mind. Brahmin is a great place to work but it can even better if we remember that our experiences and opportunities are shaped by fellow workers and peers.

Advice to Management

Don't let up! There's always instances of complacency and even laziness but all in all we enjoy where we work. Help us gain perspective sometimes whether through salary, perks or . Yes, there are lots of jobs out there, but there's no better local and internationally recognized employer than Brahmin. CEO, continue to push to get the best out of us. HR, continue to support us, even when we act like adolescents from time to time.

9. "Great Company, Great Experience"

I have been working at Brahmin Leather Works full-time

Pros

I've had a great experience working for Brahmin. I'm proud to be a part of a brand that stands by quality product and is positioned for success in the current retail marketplace.

Our CEO has been able to implement positive change for the brand during my tenure here. There's a continued vision for growth that looks towards the future. The brand has been able to keep a large footprint in the retail space without trading down on product. Brand awareness and buzz for Brahmin is also at a high!

There are great employees here who have been a part of the company from inception, as well as newer additions that have added to the office dynamics. Brahmin still has a factory and longtime employees that craft and assemble handbags here in the states, which is unique. If you're an employee who's motivated, can think big, and is open to positive change you will thrive here personally and professionally.

The office hours are very convenient and recently summer hours have been introduced.

Cons

No cons come to mind to date.

Advice to Management

Continue to initiate positive change and growth.

"Stay Away"

I worked at Brahmin Leather Works full-time

Pros

Family who owns it is kind.

Cons

Stay away from this place... what a mess! The CEO has no clue what she's doing. Most of the leaders focus their time and energy on the craziest little things and miss the big picture.