Brainfuse Employee Reviews about "low pay"
Updated Dec 1, 2021
Found 70 of over 195 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Got a burning question about Brainfuse? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Brainfuse employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
- "1. Can work from home." (in 29 reviews)
- "Flexible hours according to your schedule" (in 9 reviews)
- "Great for people who go to school or looking for some secondary income." (in 5 reviews)
- "Flexible schedule; great for working at home." (in 3 reviews)
- "You are expected to give high quality work with limited time and low pay." (in 41 reviews)
- "Students can be rude and management does nothing to help." (in 11 reviews)
- "No training for live tutoring." (in 7 reviews)
- "minimum wage has increased 3 times" (in 4 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Brainfuse and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Reviews about "low pay"Return to all Reviews
- Current Contractor★★★★★
Supplemental income onlyJul 30, 2019 - Writing Lab TutorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Can be at home and work any time of the day. Can provide decent supplement money to help with some bills or extra spending money. Good job if you are a student. However, you have to remember to set money aside from paychecks to pay in at end of the year as this is contract work and they do not remove state tax.
Pay is not equal to the level of reviews required. Students will complain no matter how good of a job you do and you are not asked about your side, and the complaint is added to your file. Students want you to do everything to redo their paper for them. There are times you log in and all your tasks are gone or a portion of them, way before the due times. When you ask them to send certain tasks back to the tool they will remove more than you ask like a punishment. There are some managers you do not want to make upset or it can appear you are picked on with tasks being removed or lack of response for assistance with a task request. You are allowed no more than 35 minutes for a paper over 10 pages, you get paid for only 15 minutes for a 2 page paper when you review them. This does not include the time it takes to type up the review form. I have worked on a 2 page paper for 30 minutes because it was so structurally bad and gave a review of recommendations. I could only claim 15 minutes in total and received a complaint that the information provided to improve the essay was not thorough enough. You are expected to give high quality work with limited time and low payYou are expected to give high quality work with limited time and low payYou are expected to give high quality work with limited time and low pay. Do not rely on this as a full time job.Continue reading
- Former Contractor, more than 3 years★★★★★
UnprofessionalMay 2, 2023 - Online English Tutor in Tampa, FLRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The work hours are flexible
Low pay Brainfuse deactivates your account without an explanation and cuts off all communication. Students expect you to do their homework for them, and if you refuse, they leave a bad review. When students are not in school, opportunities for work are low.Continue reading
- Current Employee, more than 5 years★★★★★
Patience is RequiredJan 31, 2018 - Academic TutorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Flexible hours Lots of work at peak time during the school year Will pay you to wait for students if you are scheduled to tutor (though the pay is quite low) If you're fast, you can make decent money during certain time frames.
Work dries up during regular academic breaks. You'll need a summer job if this is your main source of income. Schedules can change without notice. Students can be extremely rude at times. You may have between 3 and 7 students in an active tutoring session at one time. It becomes very difficult (impossible) to quickly and accurately respond, especially if you're being asked to review a paper in a live session. The Monitors sometimes randomly transfer students even though you're 5 minutes away from finishing up with someone. Bad student reviews are not contextualized--management puts too much emphasis on the student users and does not support tutors enough. Pay is not great for the amount of work you have to do.Continue reading
- Current Contractor★★★★★
decentJan 6, 2020 - Math TutorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
decent flexible easy income online
low pay not enough money
- Current Freelancer★★★★★
Low pay for what they expectFeb 21, 2021 - Online Writing Tutor in Atlanta, GARecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The job is flexible, you can choose when you want to work. Payments are on time.
Pay is very low considering you have to have a M.A. degree for this job, and it essentially pays the bare minimum with no clear way to increase pay over time due to performance etc. There is no human interaction, you are only notified if you have done something wrong or right via generic response emails. The provider response form is redundant and its almost impossible to give a throrough review of the papers plus fill out the redundant provider form in the allotted time limits for the papers. Very low pay for tedious and thankless work. The response form needs to be amended to be more realistic to the time frame we are given to edit papers. Perhaps they should be parsed down as the meaningful comments are in the text, why do we have to spend an extra 10 or 15 minutes regurgitating it in the response form? A simple form in which one strength and one weakness is listed would be more effective, which I know is what other similar companies do. They need to increase their pay, revise the time limits allowed, and revise their response form. Many other employees in their reviews mention the same thing. Otherwise this company will continue to have high turnover rates and low employee satisfaction, which will lead to decreased customer satisfaction as well. I often spend more than the max time allowed because it is just not realistic for the quality of editing and the response form they want, so you dont get paid for the extra time you had to spend but you have to otherwise you'll get an email complaining that your response form wasnt filled out enough, etc. So you'll do a lot of work for free, at an already low base pay rateContinue reading
- Former Contractor, more than 1 year★★★★★
Overworked, underpaid, lots of threatsAug 8, 2014 - Tutor in New York, NYRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
They always paid on time. That's about it. If you're desperate for work you can make a hot $10 an hour.
The worst part is being forced to tutor up to 3 people in disparate subjects at the same time, but not let on to any one of them that you have more than one student! The hiring process is fairly easy, but there is literally nobody to contact or talk to. You can't complain about anything at all, or you are threatened with being fired. Students are allowed to swear and say vulgar things to the tutor and nothing is done about it (and again, don't complain or you get fired). The pay is extremely low for the amount of work and stress.Continue reading
- Current Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★
This job is a SCAMMay 26, 2017 - Writing TutorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
If you like working with 7 students at a time and not getting paid for that extra time and effort, then this is the job for you! This job sounds great on paper, but in reality, it is unorganized, hectic, and frustrating. You don't get feedback from upper management but you constantly get complaints from students that upper management relays to you about random NOTHING. Once you get too many complaints, you get fired. You can't even fight these complaints because it is all about the customer. They do not care about the employee AT ALL. Upper management is BEYOND incompetent so if you have a valid discrepancy, it will fly right over their heads. So, you can try to reason with them but it's like talking to a 7 year old who has free reign over his daddy's business. Nobody knows anything, but they'll stick to their just made-up rules as if we are all supposed to know it for fact. The tutor guides that they provide are severely inadequate and lack basic protocol rules that they nag you for in their emails. Even if you follow the protocol in the guide, they will nag you for that.
Severely incompetent! I cannot stress this enough! Working with more than 3 students at a time. Low pay for all the work that you do. They take advantage.Continue reading
- Current Contractor, less than 1 year★★★★★
Great JobJan 17, 2021 - Writing Lab TutorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Make my own schedule and choose what to accept
Low pay for each paperContinue reading
- Current Freelancer, more than 3 years★★★★★
Good for minimal side money, expect to be degradedOct 8, 2017 - Reading & Writing Tutor - Independent ContractorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
- build your own schedule - ability to work anywhere - choose grades and subjects to tutor - ability to make a little extra if working for the writing lab - biweekly, consistent pay - lessons available to assist tutors with clients
- the schedule you choose may not be available - clients will verbally abuse you and Brainfuse will defend the clients even if you strictly follow Brainfuse's tutor manual - Brainfuse will contradict their own instructions when criticizing tutoring techniques - limited amount of time and same pay to work with students whose papers are anywhere from one paragraph to 26 pages long - no raises after years of service - Brainfuse sends out mass emails to all tutors criticizing work ethic and threatening to not work with tutors - Offer writing incentives that aren't incentives at all - will send huge amounts of overflow to tutors and then criticize them for not having the ability to help all 7 students at once (how are we supposed to effectively read, review, offer suggestions on grammar, corrections, etc. on multi-page essays for 2 students at the same time, let alone 7 or more?) - Insane expectations on tutors - No taxes taken out - contacting anyone at the company and only getting a response when they want to use you or criticize youContinue reading