Brainscope Reviews | Glassdoor

Brainscope Reviews

3.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Challenging work with great potential"

Pros

Challenging work, strong investors, significant potential to help people with mTBI/concussion; established support from the military; multiple FDA clearances already. Solid clinical research and publications demonstrating accuracy and efficacy.

Cons

Demanding work environment, can be high pressure; leading edge technology brings uncertainty and can be frustrating to develop. Products not yet for sale; adoption by physicians not clear.

Advice to Management

The work is challenging and requires considerable dedication. This is not problematic since most people want this kind of challenge. However, it can be difficult for employees to find a work-life balance and management should find ways to help them do this and reduce stress.

2. "Exciting company to grow with!"

I worked at Brainscope full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding organization to work for. Results-driven, highly efficient and effective management team dedicated to their employees and releasing the highest quality product(s) that have been thoroughly vetted and tested in the market. I reported directly to the CEO and worked with all areas within the organization; management, clinical, engineering and quality/regulatory. The CEO has, and continues to be, an incredible mentor to me and I will always value my time with the company and the opportunities offered to me. Everyone I have worked with at BrainScope is highly intelligent, have strong work ethics, is fun and easy to get along with. Even though it has been some time since I left the company as a full time employee, I continue to work with BrainScope on various contract-based projects and continue to have very positive interactions with everyone I work with.

Cons

As a fast-paced, start-up it can be demanding at times, especially with externally driven deadlines. Start-ups are a different beast, and as long as you understand that it can be difficult at times, you will be able to grow and develop skills that are very difficult to acquire in other work environments. The satisfaction once the product is released is well worth the hard work.

Advice to Management

Jeep doing what you are doing.

3. "Hardware Engineer Co-op"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Brainscope as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work ethic. Despite being a small organization, the company is very well organized and managed. They use up their resources wisely. Got to work with some very innovative medical device products.

Cons

Salaries, atleast for interns are a little low.

4. "Great company to work for!"

I worked at Brainscope full-time

Pros

BrainScope is an outstanding company with a breakthrough mission and great people to work with. When you walk the halls of the company, you are surrounded by very smart focused people who are putting their efforts together to create devices which potentially can save millions of human lives.

The company went from a prototype to two FDA cleared products, millions in DoD funding and real interest from the GE and NFL so they must be doing something right.

It is a startup so of course there might be more working hours than in a regular 8-5 job, however it doesn’t feel that way when you are mission driven. Being small also pays off by all employees being in the spotlight at all times (personally knowing Board of Directors, meeting Senator of MD, Governor of MD in person, etc). Wearing different hats in a small company also brings an invaluable experience you get.

BrainScope has a very open and transparent culture. Employees can bring up anything what is on their minds to the senior management and I believe it is highly valued and considered. Employees are made aware of what is going on with the company on a regular basis, employees are also asked what they think which means that employees’ opinions matter.

Management team is exceptional. My manager was the best mentor I have ever had. My manager was always there for me when I needed it (including even the times when I had personal hardships).

Great benefits for small company: Amazing 401k match better than any company out there! Employer paid healthcare for employees, life insurance, ST&LT disability and others. And every employee gets stock options which will hopefully be worth a lot in the future.

Cons

Working hours can be longer than in a regular 8-5 job, however it doesn’t feel that way when you are mission driven

Advice to Management

Keep dojng what you are doing

"Success in medical startups means challenging work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Brainscope full-time

Pros

Exciting work: traumatic brain injury is a huge area of need in sports and the military

The people who work here really care about getting the work done correctly. It's a challenge to be a startup that is driven by cutting edge medical research (most medical startups fail within the first few years), and engineering deadlines are always difficult to meet. The people here are ethical and management listens to input from employees regardless of how long they've been at the company.

Having 2 predicate devices already cleared by FDA and a comprehensive IP portfolio are good indicators of future potential for success.

You will work a lot. This is still a startup, so you can view this as a pro or a con, but the work you put in will be noticed and the things you do will matter to the company as a whole because every member of the team is important.

Cons

Like many startups, funding can dictate employment and compensation opportunities. Total compensation is reasonable when you take into account good medical insurance and stock options, but you may not get a salary on the high side for the DC area.

You will work a lot. This is still a startup. I have this in both pros and cons - see above.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have is regarding syncing up business plans and engineering schedules: I think the company might benefit from having greater communication between engineers and management to try to nail down realistic timelines. There was definitely an effort to improve on this around the time I left; so, I hope it continued.

"Come for the vision, expect what you get"

Pros

-Complete freedom to build the company's engineering product and all the processes, including use of regulatory standards, hiring up and training staff, support setting up manufacturing and DMR, being involved in the QMS/DHF/DHR/Risk Management File, supporting regulatory submissions, and learning from one's own mistakes as part of continual improvement. No company takes a bet on you like that without already being both management and a technical lead/principal.
    -Involvement in corporate strategy & hearing from both the board and stakeholders of the product.
    -Great engineering staff that works well together, leading and taking care of what needs to be done on their own accord
    -Being able to potentially change the way that brain assessment is being done for traumatic brain injury (TBI) and other neurological ailments, allowing you to pour your vision into your department
    -Engineers incorporate ISO 13485 in their everyday worklives
    -Living in the DC/Bethesda area, you often meet a number of people connected to the EEG and TBI field outside the company on your own. Just stay mum and don't spill any corporate secrets.
    -Healthy snacks offered by the company.
    -Metro and commuter accessible

Cons

-Limited previous engineering management & medical device experience is evident (forces employee heroics), operational liabilities typical of small companies (but they hired a COO)
    -Pay is lower than most places (especially in the DMV area), workload is significantly higher, and titles are not reflective of responsibility, but you don't join the company for those things (You join for the vision taking whatever sacrifices necessary).
    -Not many good food options at East-West highway location;
    -People don't always clean up after themselves in the kitchen (water jug, paper towel, dishes, etc.)

Advice to Management

-Remember the past advice that was given to you.

"Run... the other way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Brainscope full-time

Pros

BrainScope employs some great employees. Everyone (sans the Executive team) is pretty nice and helpful. Their products could end up being hugely successful.

Cons

Terrible upper management. Think of the most toxic environment/ people you have ever worked with... they are probably worse. The only way to move up/ receive a raise is to suck up to/ be one of the CEO's favorites. If this company does fail, the terrible management will be to blame. The CEO is often barking orders, while (to second another reviewer) the rest of the executive team just nods yes. He is very moody... which is fine, except that we are very underpaid (especially compared to engineers in similar markets) and overworked.

Advice to Management

Lose the longtime management, or conduct some big cultural/ attitude changes.

"Work"

I worked at Brainscope full-time

Pros

You never have a day without work so the day can pass by quickly. Some engineers are smart.

Cons

The CEO seems to make all the decisions while the rest of the management are yes men. So you can imagine how bad it can be. If you don't make it on the CEO favorites list you can do you all you want but you won't get no raise or bonus. Some management think they are all that but they aren't. And they will take most of the credit just because they work one weekend while you work alot more.

Advice to Management

Know how good your employees are and quit playing favorites. Don't underestimate how much everyone is doing. Listen to your inspectors.

"Fast Paced and Hard Work"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Bethesda, MD
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Brainscope as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great to get along with and to learn from. As an intern, I learned a lot from the full time engineers and they were willing to help me as long as I asked. My supervisor really looked out for me and was a great mentor. Because it is a small company, it allowed me to get involved in different projects. You felt like you were a part of a close-knit team. I was also paid hourly so I got compensated for overtime work.

Cons

It is a high demand, fast paced environment. I was working more than 8 hrs per day (not including lunch). Most of the time, I would work closer to 9-10 hrs. In extreme circumstances, I worked 12+ hrs and some weekends. Internship pay is lower than most engineering internships. As you can imagine, it can be stressful. I put up with it because my opportunities were limited and they gave me a chance to prove my self.

Advice to Management

Hire more people so that work can get accomplished in less time and so people can leave the office without working late.

"No life, so-so pay."

Pros

The people are pretty nice and there were a couple that took a real interest in my work. There were a couple who played some music instruments there so that was nice as well. I learned a little from one of them too. The product is pretty neat and I wish I could have seen it launch. I liked putting together the devices and engineers would always be available to help.

Cons

Some people there especially the executive team have a real mean streak. It's like if the staff were treated as if there was a general distrust in them. The executives think the staff would take advantage of the company if not watched closely. I saw so many people working late nights all the time and some of their hardest workers didn't get any raise or promotions even though they'd be constantly working over 60 hours a week. They say it was always a fire there. I felt bad for them all especially some of the engineers. Meanwhile, executives would get multiple promotions and not financially appreciate all the work all the us did. That's just wrong. It's been awhile but I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

Advice to Management

Actually treat employees as if they're your best asset, not just mouth it ya know.