Brainshark Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brainshark Chief Executive Officer Greg Flynn
Greg Flynn

Pros
  • Good work life balance and benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, culture and product (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • just ask for 1 reference that has actually set up and has used the Sales Enablement platform for a year or more and has identified value (in 5 reviews)

• It's stressful to see people constantly getting let-go (in 3 reviews)

"BDR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with great people. Everyone feels apart of the team. You know your role and what it entails. Managers, executives recognize your performance and reward you.

Cons

A lot of training, meetings, coaching. Which can also be a pro. They make sure you master your craft.

"Awesome Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Summer hours! Get out at 1pm EVERY Friday during summer
    - Fun things like ice cream and food trucks in summer, including BEER
    - Friendly people and management
    - Generous vacation and sick time plus 2 floating holidays and a paid volunteer day!

Cons

Can't think of anything at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Keep the summer hours :)

I don't know why Greg doesn't have a better rating, he is AWESOME! He's so nice and down to earth, just a regular guy who happens to be the CEO. He really cares about his employees and got emotional when they were forced to have a round of layoffs over the summer. You could tell he was genuinely devastated. Great guy to work with.

Also - I think most of the negative reviews for Brainshark and a lot of software companies come from salespeople who get laid off, so I always take that into consideration. Sales has an extremely high turnover rate in software so it doesn't surprise me.

"Where did you lead us Greg?"

Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of very nice, professional and genuinely great people work(ed) for Brainshark. We had a great product addressing a lot of needs in the market. We had a consistently growing business and respect in the marketplace. I was very proud to be a part of the Brainshark family. It literally makes me sick to see where it is today.

Cons

Most of the great employees are long gone. And the few remaining are not happy for the most part. Greg Flynn has literally run this company into the ground. He took an unrealistic vision, didn't address the glaring holes in the technology, increased the pricing model to price the company out of deals....and only blames the staff who has tried everything to make it work. Simply put...the product does not drive the value that clients are expecting....just ask for 1 reference that has actually set up and has used the Sales Enablement platform for a year or more and has identified value.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror Greg...its not us, its you and the rest of executive leadership that is following your lead.

"A good start up that plateaued years ago and has been spinning its wheels ever since"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Was a great place to start a career years ago - pay and benefits were okay, but pretty standard. I understand that they've added 401k matching recently, which is great, but was definitely because they HAD to because they were no longer competitive. When I was there we continually requested this and it never happened.

-Lots of smart people who want to do good work. For a stretch I worked on one of the best teams I've ever been a part of, with a fantastic manager.

Cons

- Chasing trends with the hope of big break-through success: The company peaked years ago, but they keep pivoting and re-brand trying to chase what they think are the trends that will turn the company into a huge success. Instead, employees have to scramble internally with not a lot of direction as to why things are happening. I've heard of a lot of recent lay-offs because of pivoting to try and re-brand as a sales enablement tool, which is sad because this was a really solid training product at one time.

- A lot of under-qualified people have super inflated titles: People with not a ton of experience can reach 'director' level titles without the experience that qualifies them for that role in the rest of the marketplace. Good for them, if they are getting paid according to that title, but they are fleecing the company for $$$ in terms of applying solid experience to the job. Also will be a big wake up call when you try to find another job and realize that most of the job market considers you a "senior associate" instead of that sweet "senior manager" you thought you were.

- Nepotism: If you have a friend on the board, congrats! You're the new VP of whatever made up title you are able to convince them to give you! You'll get paid a decent salary for a couple years until they either let you go or you find another gig. During that time you'll try and flex your muscle with lower level employees who super hate you. This was a standard thing they did a few years ago, with all the layoffs I doubt they do stuff like this anymore. If they do? Woof.

- Lack of trust in the knowledge of the people you pay to be there: Lots of decisions without a lot of logical backing get decreed down even though experts that work there offer differing ways to make something work. This would be fine if the leaders weren't just making changes to save their own skin or prove they are valuable.

6. "For the most part, I enjoy working here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brainshark takes care of the employees that get stuff done. If you take initiative, you are recognized.

Company parties, beautiful company campus (in the spring/summer) - right next to a purple line stop. Lots of catered food (yum).

Decent work/life balance - I really can't complain, considering so many companies are much harder on their employees.

I think Brainshark is great. I love working for this team and I love collaborating to reach a common goal. It's a really great environment for those than can handle some re-organization every so often.

Cons

A very 'cliquey' environment, I really feel like I traveled back in time to High school. If you tell 1 single person something personal, the entire company knows. Beware of that.

Advice to Management

Coach your senior leadership and your management teams, oftentimes they come off as stand-offish and have an 'I'm better than you' attitude. Change it up, be innovative, and be friendly!

"A broken clock is right two times a day"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is possible and encouraged.

Either you’ll love it or you’ll hate it. Glassdoor reviews are a good illustration of this. Having said that - the five-star reviews do seem to coincide with layoffs…

Cons

The irony is that Brainshark, producer of a sales productivity tool, continually ‘falls short’ despite leadership’s efforts. You will be effected/affected by the frequent reorganizations, layoffs, and changes to corporate vision.

As an organization, Brainshark suffers from ‘Founder’s Syndrome’. Reviews about the incestuous/nepotistic culture are true. If you can cope with that along with inappropriate remarks by c-level executives under the guise of sarcasm, you’ll do fine.

Leave personal expectations and aspirations at the door – they got you covered.

Advice to Management

Why bother

"Sales Productivity Solutions"

I worked at Brainshark full-time

Pros

Good Environment to work in, flexible schedules. Quality time tested products. Opportunity to be the sales productivity leader.

Cons

Many direction changes over the last 2 years with regards to people and product. Pick a direction and stick to it.

9. "Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company Culture, leader in Training and Coaching

Cons

Very Crowded Market, lots of competitors that are causing confusion in the space.

Brainshark Response

Nov 10, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us some feedback. Great to hear your experience has been a positive one!

"Ugh..."

I have been working at Brainshark full-time

Pros

I have had the same manager since I joined, which is more than I can say for the majority of employees at the company. My direct manager is great, flexible, and the day-to-day job activities are good.

Cons

Constant lay-offs, message and market direction consistently changes, and the company is very unstable. It's stressful to see people constantly getting let-go. It seems like the company is having a hard time finding a way to grow...they had big goals and painted a good picture in the interview but they're unable to execute.

"I hope that Brainshark can turn things around"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, 3 weeks vacation plus sick time. Pretty decent health plan options. Flexible schedule and can work remotely. One volunteer day per year that you get paid for and Brainshark will write a check to them for $100. Seems to always be leftover food from meetings if you don't feel like walking over to the cafe in the adjacent building. Lean Boxes for vending machines which offer some healthy choices and it's subsidized by Brainshark.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to say about the company is that I wish they had a better first and second quarter this year. They rebranded themselves and launched a whole new sales enablement platform this year which did not meet their sales expectations. They had a pretty large lay off this summer and my job was unfortunately affected.

Advice to Management

You have a great product and I hope you are able to turn things around for the company. I loved my time at Brainshark.