Brainshark Reviews | Glassdoor

Brainshark Reviews

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance and benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Great people and good enviornment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They rebranded themselves and launched a whole new sales enablement platform this year which did not meet their sales expectations (in 6 reviews)

• Company has to continue to invest in their core product and reporting (in 3 reviews)

"Fun product, great customers, super social bunch, with inexperienced middle management."

Former Employee - Various Positions in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Various Positions in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great software solution, fun to use & work with. Customers are awesome. Coworkers are a fun bunch, very social & active. Lots of workplace perks. True work/life balance here.

Cons

Middle management lacks experience and upper management would re-brand and/or change corporate goals so frequently that sales teams never had enough time to build their pipelines, goals were missed and massive layoffs happened several times which put the entire company on edge. There was general confusion across departments because of the unrelenting changes and continuous implementation of new processes. There were a lot of issues between supervisors and their direct reports. Way too much gossip at this workplace. Several employees hooking up with each other romantically. One of the VP's (who has a different title now) is/was sleeping with a sales rep. Everyone knew but nothing was done about it.
    Unprofessional from my viewpoint but both people are still employed by the company (according to their LinkedIn profiles).

Advice to Management

Hire managers with management experience (or send existing managers off for training) and strictly enforce HR policies continuously (not when it is convenient or aligns with office politics).

Stop re-inventing the wheel every 6 months. Give employees more time to get on board with shifting corporate goals and consider the detrimental effects that going through large hiring/firing cycles has on your core/loyal employees.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People and environment is great. Friendly, fun, passionate and smart people. Interesting product that customers love. Approachable C-level team. First time in many years I have felt the company cares about its employees.

Cons

Currently I don't have any cons to list. The people are great. The product is going in the right directions. The company cares. Nothing. Ad to say.

Advice to Management

Keep team focused on the direction we are heading.

"Where did you lead us Greg?"

Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of very nice, professional and genuinely great people work(ed) for Brainshark. We had a great product addressing a lot of needs in the market. We had a consistently growing business and respect in the marketplace. I was very proud to be a part of the Brainshark family. It literally makes me sick to see where it is today.

Cons

Most of the great employees are long gone. And the few remaining are not happy for the most part. Greg Flynn has literally run this company into the ground. He took an unrealistic vision, didn't address the glaring holes in the technology, increased the pricing model to price the company out of deals....and only blames the staff who has tried everything to make it work. Simply put...the product does not drive the value that clients are expecting....just ask for 1 reference that has actually set up and has used the Sales Enablement platform for a year or more and has identified value.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror Greg...its not us, its you and the rest of executive leadership that is following your lead.

"BDR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with great people. Everyone feels apart of the team. You know your role and what it entails. Managers, executives recognize your performance and reward you.

Cons

A lot of training, meetings, coaching. Which can also be a pro. They make sure you master your craft.

"Awesome Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Summer hours! Get out at 1pm EVERY Friday during summer
    - Fun things like ice cream and food trucks in summer, including BEER
    - Friendly people and management
    - Generous vacation and sick time plus 2 floating holidays and a paid volunteer day!

Cons

Can't think of anything at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Keep the summer hours :)

I don't know why Greg doesn't have a better rating, he is AWESOME! He's so nice and down to earth, just a regular guy who happens to be the CEO. He really cares about his employees and got emotional when they were forced to have a round of layoffs over the summer. You could tell he was genuinely devastated. Great guy to work with.

Also - I think most of the negative reviews for Brainshark and a lot of software companies come from salespeople who get laid off, so I always take that into consideration. Sales has an extremely high turnover rate in software so it doesn't surprise me.

"Turnover continues to be a red flag"

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people working hard trying to figure out how to make something out of new direction.

Cons

Executive management jumped into this new direction with both feet- now they are cycling through people each quarter as they struggle to make sense of the market. So much of the talent jumping ship only to be followed by quarterly layoffs/ RIF- then reload and do the same thing over again. Not much of a strategy.

Advice to Management

When your goal is to reinvent the company- have some senior and middle management talent that understand your new direction and have start up experience. Then they can add some value and guidance during the process.

"A good start up that plateaued years ago and has been spinning its wheels ever since"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Was a great place to start a career years ago - pay and benefits were okay, but pretty standard. I understand that they've added 401k matching recently, which is great, but was definitely because they HAD to because they were no longer competitive. When I was there we continually requested this and it never happened.

-Lots of smart people who want to do good work. For a stretch I worked on one of the best teams I've ever been a part of, with a fantastic manager.

Cons

- Chasing trends with the hope of big break-through success: The company peaked years ago, but they keep pivoting and re-brand trying to chase what they think are the trends that will turn the company into a huge success. Instead, employees have to scramble internally with not a lot of direction as to why things are happening. I've heard of a lot of recent lay-offs because of pivoting to try and re-brand as a sales enablement tool, which is sad because this was a really solid training product at one time.

- A lot of under-qualified people have super inflated titles: People with not a ton of experience can reach 'director' level titles without the experience that qualifies them for that role in the rest of the marketplace. Good for them, if they are getting paid according to that title, but they are fleecing the company for $$$ in terms of applying solid experience to the job. Also will be a big wake up call when you try to find another job and realize that most of the job market considers you a "senior associate" instead of that sweet "senior manager" you thought you were.

- Nepotism: If you have a friend on the board, congrats! You're the new VP of whatever made up title you are able to convince them to give you! You'll get paid a decent salary for a couple years until they either let you go or you find another gig. During that time you'll try and flex your muscle with lower level employees who super hate you. This was a standard thing they did a few years ago, with all the layoffs I doubt they do stuff like this anymore. If they do? Woof.

- Lack of trust in the knowledge of the people you pay to be there: Lots of decisions without a lot of logical backing get decreed down even though experts that work there offer differing ways to make something work. This would be fine if the leaders weren't just making changes to save their own skin or prove they are valuable.

"For the most part, I enjoy working here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Brainshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brainshark takes care of the employees that get stuff done. If you take initiative, you are recognized.

Company parties, beautiful company campus (in the spring/summer) - right next to a purple line stop. Lots of catered food (yum).

Decent work/life balance - I really can't complain, considering so many companies are much harder on their employees.

I think Brainshark is great. I love working for this team and I love collaborating to reach a common goal. It's a really great environment for those than can handle some re-organization every so often.

Cons

A very 'cliquey' environment, I really feel like I traveled back in time to High school. If you tell 1 single person something personal, the entire company knows. Beware of that.

Advice to Management

Coach your senior leadership and your management teams, oftentimes they come off as stand-offish and have an 'I'm better than you' attitude. Change it up, be innovative, and be friendly!

"A broken clock is right two times a day"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brainshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is possible and encouraged.

Either you’ll love it or you’ll hate it. Glassdoor reviews are a good illustration of this. Having said that - the five-star reviews do seem to coincide with layoffs…

Cons

The irony is that Brainshark, producer of a sales productivity tool, continually ‘falls short’ despite leadership’s efforts. You will be effected/affected by the frequent reorganizations, layoffs, and changes to corporate vision.

As an organization, Brainshark suffers from ‘Founder’s Syndrome’. Reviews about the incestuous/nepotistic culture are true. If you can cope with that along with inappropriate remarks by c-level executives under the guise of sarcasm, you’ll do fine.

Leave personal expectations and aspirations at the door – they got you covered.

Advice to Management

Why bother

"Sales Productivity Solutions"

I worked at Brainshark full-time

Pros

Good Environment to work in, flexible schedules. Quality time tested products. Opportunity to be the sales productivity leader.

Cons

Many direction changes over the last 2 years with regards to people and product. Pick a direction and stick to it.