Braintree Reviews

Updated Apr 30, 2020

3.7
Braintree General Manager John MacIlwaine (no image)
John MacIlwaine
Pros
  • "Good work life balance, excellent benefits including discounted stock (mostly thanks to PayPal)(in 11 reviews)

• "prioritize learning, work life balance, challenging yet rewarding products, catered lunch/breakfast(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "They don't do a great job of training hires who don't have a natural proclivity for the type of work Braintree does(in 5 reviews)

• "They keep taking benefits away, ex: Lunch is no longer provided and almost no raises(in 4 reviews)

1. "Highly recommended place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time

Pros

Caring culture, smart people, great benefits

Cons

Like most tech companies, squeezing every ounce productivity out employees is always top priority.

Braintree2019-05-30

"Shell of former self and just more PayPal"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Braintree full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Many of the people that have been there a while are great to work with. - Relatively remote/WFH friendly - Decent work life balance

Cons

- No longer offers competitive benefits, snacks are not as good and no longer lunch - Micromanagement and distrust of engineers from middle and upper management - Corporate Politics are the same as PayPal but more amplified because of team sizes - Stack ranking for annual performance

Braintree2020-05-01

"They advertise it as a top notch place in Chicago, but reality is something else"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time for more than a year

Pros

- WLB is good - Pay is above average for sure - Relaxed dress code - If you like to make noise, you might be heard

Cons

- Big daddy PayPal is going to take over one day - SO many reorgs - too many technical issues without upper management buy in - people talk about inclusion, but don't act like it - lack of representation. Especially for people of color. Most of the people in management are white males

Braintree2020-03-21

"Mixed Bag...like any other company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Braintree full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

amazing staff full of smart folks who are open and kind. it's very easy to find excellent people around the organization and feed from their positive energy. culture based on independent, professional development & growth again, the people MAKE braintree. there are investments made to help employees continue learning. i made use of the educational benefit while there, and it served dividends good WLB. there are times where you need to pull more hours to get something done, but that doesn't happen often.

Cons

as a former reviewer states, braintree doesn't do a great job of keeping talent that don't have a natural proclivity for what braintree does. old fringe benefits like free lunch have been taken away. there aren't many opportunities for advancement. some really great hires left abruptly during my time there. from my vantage point, this was because the didn't have adequate development and support. you'll find negative folks in some orgs whose behavior is condoned because they appear to be "productive". these folks also belie the company's focus on inclusivity. despite this, braintree doesn't actively promote them. A company's culture is indicative of who they promote. people who potentially harm the culture don't appear to be rewarded.

Braintree2020-02-22

"Ok place"

in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree

Pros

Smart people. Some projects are interesting. Most folks are nice except for some bad apples (who happened to be in leadership positions). Benefits are ok, industry standard and pay is average but on the lower end.

Cons

They can’t keep smart people for more a year or two. I have seen many people leaving (from my team and other teams) in a short period of time. They keep taking benefits away, ex: Lunch is no longer provided and almost no raises. It is really hard to get promoted even when you excel at your job and make an impact outside your immediate team. Like many companies, they promote people based on competence, but not on soft skills (or leadership skills) and then this becomes a problem. Unfortunately, with the most recent changes I see morale a little down and looks like some employees are already planning their departure.

Braintree2020-02-28
  6. "Good co-workers, good product, unclear direction."

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Co-workers are awesome. You work with smart driven individuals. - You can really work with any level of the org if you search for that interaction.

Cons

- Pay is stagnant - Empty promises with promotions become the norm.

Braintree2020-02-08
  7. "A great progressive workspace with competent teams"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Braintree full-time

Pros

- Very progressive company - Good compensation and benefits packages - Everyone is open to feedback - Work with a great mix of technologies, not tied to a single stack - Great for remote workers (on my team at least)

Cons

- Many fringe benefits are aimed at Chicago and San Francisco: live somewhere else and you'll miss out (I'm OK with that)

Braintree2019-04-17

"Great experience"

I worked at Braintree full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome environment, supportive managers, and focus on diversity and inclusion

Cons

Hard to have any upward mobility

Braintree2019-03-05

"Good Culture"

Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and culture are great.

Cons

Owned by PayPal, more and more Braintree is losing it's startup identity.

Braintree2019-02-03

"Some great people; lack of career growth & accountability for poor leaders"

I worked at Braintree full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some amazing, incredibly smart people who deeply care about their teammates and the product - Commitment to D&I is better than most places I've worked. There's still a lot of work to be done, but this was one of my favorite parts of working at Braintree - Good work life balance, excellent benefits including discounted stock (mostly thanks to PayPal)

Cons

Your experience is going to different drastically by team; poor performing Managers can really break your experience there, and unfortunately Senior Leadership was often willing to not act on feedback about toxic managers. There's also very little opportunity for career growth; there are plenty of really smart and talented people who have nowhere to grow because their teams aren't structured in a way where everyone who is capable of more challenging work is given that opportunity.

Braintree2018-10-04