Braintree Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Braintree General Manager Juan Benitez
Juan Benitez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is truly respected" (in 10 reviews)

• "prioritize learning, work life balance, challenging yet rewarding products, catered lunch/breakfast" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "They went through some tough times early in the paypal acquisition, but they did get through and are stronger than before" (in 3 reviews)

• "Mandatory pair programming, up to 7 hours a day" (in 2 reviews)

"Great experience"

I worked at Braintree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment, supportive managers, and focus on diversity and inclusion

Cons

Hard to have any upward mobility

2. "Good Culture"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and culture are great.

Cons

Owned by PayPal, more and more Braintree is losing it's startup identity.

"Some great people; lack of career growth & accountability for poor leaders"

I worked at Braintree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some amazing, incredibly smart people who deeply care about their teammates and the product
    - Commitment to D&I is better than most places I've worked. There's still a lot of work to be done, but this was one of my favorite parts of working at Braintree
    - Good work life balance, excellent benefits including discounted stock (mostly thanks to PayPal)

Cons

Your experience is going to different drastically by team; poor performing Managers can really break your experience there, and unfortunately Senior Leadership was often willing to not act on feedback about toxic managers. There's also very little opportunity for career growth; there are plenty of really smart and talented people who have nowhere to grow because their teams aren't structured in a way where everyone who is capable of more challenging work is given that opportunity.

4. "a lot of work"

Pros

good people, they care about you

Cons

bad management, people are all over the place

Advice to Management

not long term

"Great at Getting People in but not Keeping Them"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree (More than a year)

Pros

- Free daily lunch
    - ESPP up to 10% of your salary (especially with a growing stock like PYPL)
    - Great overall team camaraderie
    - Tech office
    - Transit reimbursement
    - Work from home (depending on which team you are working for)

Cons

- No significant growth opportunities unless you are a dev
    - Underpayment is justified by benefits
    - Free lunch causes you to work more
    - Late nights working due to understaffing
    - High turnover across most teams
    - "Unlimited" vacation keeps people from taking vacation
    - The company is not yet in the mature phase so there are no standard processes and the key decision makers are often a "clique" within departments

"Awesome engineering culture, poor direction"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Braintree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Braintree prides itself on having a great engineering culture, and it really does. If you're passionate about building and shipping quality products, this is a great place to do it and learn from some really smart folks. Leadership takes the time to understand problems surfaced by engineers, and makes an effort to remove tech debt. It is truly a great engineering culture. Effort is also made for employees to invest in themselves, by sending employees to two conferences a year. In addition, every other Friday is reserved for learning working on passion projects or work projects where you might not ordinarily have time.

Benefits are really good. PayPal offers a competitive 401k match, health care offerings are great, and time off is generous. Because we pair at Braintree, the hours are pretty strictly 9-5 which is hard to beat.

Cons

In my time at Braintree, PayPal has gone from a faraway entity which cuts your paychecks to an overbearing presence, and frankly, a constant downer on your day to day work. Since it acquired Braintree, PayPal seems to not know what to do with it. More and more PayPal uses Braintree as a crutch for its own bad tech. Like every inexperienced film director saying, "we'll fix it in post," PayPal leans on Braintree to power products that it cannot deliver itself.

PayPal has done a lot of good things with Braintree, but by slowly removing the sheen from Braintree's pristine engineering culture, we have seen and will continue to see the hiring bar fall to the level of PayPal, and Braintree will no longer be the great place to work that it is now.

Advice to Management

Stop letting PayPal leech away your values. Stick to what you know.

"Lots of Pros"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams to work with. Mostly everyone is on board to push Braintree forward and do whats best for the organization. Braintree hires great people from diverse backgrounds.

Cons

Could be better diversity in leadership positions. Ambiguity in the job can sometimes be frustrating. Can feel like there is a lack in consistent direction.

"Wow."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Braintree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best job I've ever had. As a software developer who has been worked into the ground at other companies I feel like Braintree has all it's priorities in order.

As an engineer here is what I appreciate:

1. We're a product company who's mission is customer success. When you, as a engineer, are arguing with your peers about what the best outcome for your customers is - you know you're working at the right place.
    2. The company has large technical scaling issues. It's hard to get these problems other places and they are tough and exciting to work on.
    3. Mentorship is available at almost every level; there are some very very smart people here.
    4. Opinions and criticism are welcome and encouraged.
    5. Automated testing is baked into the culture

Cons

Like any company growing this fast there are problems with internal communication.

Advice to Management

You've got a very good thing going here and it will be tough to scale but please try! This is a special company with a special culture and I really want to see us succeed. I've already referred multiple friends because they are so impressed with BT after hearing about it.

"Sales"

I worked at Braintree full-time

Pros

Great office space & perks. Startup feel without the risk (since being acquired by Paypal). Many smart and friendly people -- a low stress and enjoyable work environment.

Cons

Nothing stands out. The company still wants to project a startup image, which is really no longer the case, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

"Great company"

Pros

Amazing culture and benefits. Work is challenging and always changing

Cons

There's a lot going on and can sometimes be difficult to keep up

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing