Brammo Reviews | Glassdoor

Brammo Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

1.8
Brammo CEO Craig Bramscher (no image)
Craig Bramscher
  1. "A Surprising Find in an Surprising Location"

Current Employee - Entry Engineer

I have been working at Brammo full-time

Pros

Close proximity to a lot of outdoor-enthusiast things: Crater Lake, Rouge River, biking (all types), Redwood forest, Mt. Shasta, Bend, Oregon Dunes, etc... It is a great place for young people, as well as those trying to raise a family. The company has enthusiastic and hard-working employees, which is awesome and inspiring at the same time. Some of them have some pretty funny, but corny, jokes too! There are a... lot of common interests among each other, and it makes for a closely knit group. The small number of employees only amplifies that. The work itself is hard for a majority of it, but the side effect of that is that it is YOUR work. It is not often you get to work with leading energy storage systems, but the hard work put forth is paid off in that ever-so-desired feeling of making a difference to the world.

Cons

Some of the downsides include... downtime, which is highly attributed to when production of certain products is in full swing or not. There are times of lay offs and times when temporary employees are told their services are no longer needed. Those getting hired for assembly-related projects will want to make sure they are aware of the volatility of their position. And, I know that this is something that the... hiring professionals feel compelled to make sure any new hire is fully aware of. Sometimes, there will be times when the work might ask for more time from the employee. This is only stated in the cons section for those who prefer a strict 9-5 job. However, if you enjoy working on projects and developing yourself, you will find that it is more of an adventure, than it is something to help put food on the table. No, it is not a startup company anymore, but it might have work that makes it feel like one still.

Advice to Management

Nearly all of the expectations for the position and for the company were explained in the beginning for the hiring process. The volatility of the technology was well understood and all risks were placed on the table. There is little for advice to add as those are basically the key components of what is expected. Managers should always encourage growth and future preparations, and that is covered.

Brammo2016-07-30

"Promising start that lead nowhere"

Former Employee - Director in Talent, OR

I worked at Brammo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In the early days we crushed it.

Cons

All the top talent has moved on and gone to Tesla, Zero, Amazon etc. The visionary founder turned out to be a totally useless CEO with no idea about leadership or management. Share options worthless.

Advice to Management

The board should have fired the c-suite 5 years ago. Its too late now which is why the talent has all moved on.

Brammo2017-05-18

"A small, agile company with loads of talent and a promising future."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Talent, OR

I have been working at Brammo full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leader in vehicle electrification and transitioning industries to lithium-ion technologies. Interesting projects, smart people, and a good cause. Flexibility around work schedules, willingness to work with remote employees. Great healthcare benefits for those with families. Most at the company are avid outdoor, bicycle, motorcycle, or vehicle enthusiasts.

Cons

We are still a small company and so despite best intentions, our boat can be rocked by the waves of market changes, investor demands, and the need to raise capital to grow.

Advice to Management

Embrace the best parts of "Brammoan" culture, even as business models shift and resource needs change.

Brammo2016-02-24

"Find investors, spend their money, go bankrupt, change name, repeat........"

Former Employee - Production in Talent, OR

I worked at Brammo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly environment. Seems like a good place to work until the truth sets in. Get to ride a bike home for free. Multiple break times during the day. The lack of work allowed us to sit at the break table for 30 minutes at a time and not be questioned.

Cons

The constant lies. We got to ride bikes home regularly but that was only because we couldn't sell what was being built. The company always operated on lies and a lack of money. Even to the point of wanting to "hide" bikes and pretend they were sold when having an investor meeting. Sales Dept was a joke. Service Dept was a joke. How bout employing someone that knows what they are doing!

Advice to Management

None. No one in management deserved to be there.

Brammo2015-03-01

"With great potential comes great disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, OR

I worked at Brammo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exciting market challenges on a global scale Some high caliber individuals helping to create high caliber teams Great product

Cons

Upper management seems utterly clueless and without clear direction/vision. Ego's Ego's Ego's - if you have a Masters Degree, make sure you carry proof with you at all times. Lack of accountability to engineering deadlines and at executive level.

Advice to Management

Take the political reigns off your employees to help create a culture of openness and expression. You hire intelligent people from all walks of life with broad skill sets, to not listen to them? I just don't understand it. You have a handful of upper level managers and executives who are seldom there making key decisions for the rest of the team, that in turn effect the team and lead to mass lay-offs over... Thanksgiving week? Honestly you should be ashamed of the way you've treated your employees who've put their heart and soul into the work and invested themselves into the company.

Brammo2015-01-15

"What do we do again?"

Current Employee - Engineer in Talent, OR

I have been working at Brammo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employees. Have met some life long friends while i have worked here. The Ashland area of Southern Oregon is great if you are outdoorsy. Working 5 days a week and about 20 minutes a day allows me a lot of time to look for another job.

Cons

Where do i start? Management is clueless. Egos abound. We can't believe a word that comes out of any of the upper managements mouths. Most group leaders have never lead anything before and this is their first job. Somehow the fact that they have hung around has allowed them to be a manager of some sort. We know the company is failing but are continually told lies on how well it is doing and expected to believe... what we are told.

Advice to Management

Employ managers with previous experience! Stop telling us what you think we need to hear and start telling us the truth. Stop sending out BS press releases. It makes us all look stupid.....

Brammo2015-02-18

"A great place to work if you like instability."

I have been working at Brammo

Pros

Semi-casual work and engineering environment Good compensation and benefits especially for the area

Cons

Instability Inflated ego and personal agenda Upper management and executives deceitful

Advice to Management

Don't cancel hard working people's insurance without saying a word to try and save your corporate skin. Despicable.

Brammo2015-02-06

"What the?"

I worked at Brammo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, good people to work with. Some decent perks, relaxed work place

Cons

Upper management clueless about building bikes, as along as they got their salaries. A lot of waste for a company that preached 'Lean manufacturing'. Very unstable environment if you are looking long term. Hard to be positive when they lie to you and you know they just did.

Advice to Management

Try and make a good product, just don't take investors money for your salaries. A leopard cannot change its spots. Craig is great using other peoples money to support his lifestyle.

Brammo2015-01-22

"Lies, lies, lies and more lies."

I worked at Brammo

Pros

A reasonably fun place to waste 8 hours at. Good people, even some of the management is good people. Great to learn how things should not be done.

Cons

The amount of lies spewed out by management. Seeing the gullible employees get wide eye'd thinking the company is going somewhere. Having to lie to people in the community about the state of the company. Watching management spend other peoples money like it was water. The CEO, or even most of management, never left their offices to see what was actually going on. Absentee management doesn't work!

Advice to Management

Put people in place that actually have some idea of what is trying to be achieved. Stop lying to the public and your employees. Stop wasting money to go racing with a team that no one at all cares about.

Brammo2015-01-19

"A great place to learn what makes s start-up fail."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, OR

I have been working at Brammo full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great place to learn about new technologies and what makes a start-up fail. They pay well to poach great minds from other industries.

Cons

Senior management is clueless, everyone lives in the Ashland bubble and has no clue how the real world works.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You cherry pick the best from different industries and then refuse to listen to the sound advice they give you about the industries they came from. Fire all of your senior management. Its been 8 years and the company has gotten no where...whats the definition of insanity agian?

Brammo2013-10-21