Brand Connections Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Sherry Orel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay is good for it being a retail job (in 10 reviews)

• great incentives (free products) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Target staff doesnt work well with many beauty concierge (in 10 reviews)

• My District Manager said she'd been waiting for Someone to send the new form for the review which was the excuse for a whole month (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good Stepping Stone Job"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Brand Connections part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly gratis and pay

Cons

Hardly have a on call staff to get a day / or few days off

Advice to Management

Hire more reliable staff to cover your loyal employees throughout all the changes a lot of us is & was loyal employees

2. "District Manager"

I worked at Brand Connections full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and lots of product knowledge provided.

Cons

High turnover and not the best communication about changes.

3. "Honest review: "It's a business.""

I worked at Brand Connections full-time

Pros

Worked with a small, solid team, didn't see all the gripes of the other offices, very lax and flexible atmosphere, accessible CEO, stocked refrigerators. It's not the best company, but definitely not the worst.

Cons

I was laid off at the top of the year, as many others were, and honestly in hindsight, I can't say I didn't see it coming. When I started with the company, there were huge named clients that we loved promoting and bragging about. There would be events we celebrated, afterwork events, free samples, trips to other offices for training, etc etc. But as the end of my run, things changed. Suddenly, when on calls, contracts weren't being signed, business wasn't coming in. The huge clients we were used to, were dwindled down to brands that we needed more than they needed us. Christmas parties weren't happening, afterwork events completely ceased. And worse: the insane amount of samples that we received, were no longer.

The somewhat newly hired Sales EVP -- sweetest woman ever btw -- just wasn't bringing the money in. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters. "It's a business."

Ultimately, they cut us all at the same time--end of day--myself and others in our office, employees in other offices, the Sales EVP, beauty concierges, and offered severance packages to those who would like to voluntarily resign. Ouch.

In regards to atmosphere, this review is solely from my experience because I've learned when speaking with others, their experiences were polar opposite: my experience was great. As with any other company, your experience boiled down to who your manager was. If your experience was bad, it's because your manager was bad. I will say that with mine, it could be difficult to take initiative or be forward-thinking when at every turn, you were met with an unnecessarily controlling personality. This ultimately led me to go from someone who is smart, full-of-ideas, and a leader, become someone operational, complacent, and waiting to be told what to do next. That was never my work ethic, but that's what it became.

Advice to Management

I dunno, man. It's no hard feelings for me, I understand how this works. I also know there is a standard of discretion when dealing with employees, but maybe staying true to your word, I guess. During the first wave of layoffs, we were assured all of our jobs were safe. Ultimately, it hurt to find out that in the end, that was a lie.

OH, and at my new company, the health insurance is free. So, cheaper insurance. BC's is astronomical, mine was south of $100/month--single, no dependents. I could get that rate on my own.

Disclaimer:
    Those reading this, do not allow this to detour you from accepting a position with the company, which I actually learned a lot from. They will get back to where they were, there are many many smart people on their teams. My situation was just during one of those cycles that all companies go through.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Beauty Concierge in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Beauty Concierge in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Brand Connections full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing , can't say the pay is good because I haven't received 2 of my checks that I'm still waiting on. Nor have I received any gratis .

Cons

Everything . You stand the whole shift in the same 4-5 aisles , I have yet to receive a pay check , 2 months later I'm still waiting for it . I've tried getting ahold of the HR it's a joke they are very unprofessional. I worked almost 80 hours for which I haven't been paid for . They keep saying my check is mailing but nothing

Advice to Management

Be more professional and hire someone better for the HR position , this company is a joke .

"Life at BC"

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits: Kitchen filled with groceries, PTO, vacation pay, 401k, health coverage and more.
    Management is very smart and actively engaged in nurturing talent and pushing their employees to grow, if you have something negative to say about the company it’s probably because you are looking for a place where you can just sit at the desk, warm up a chair and let the hours of the day pass by without learning and advance your career. BC gives you the opportunity to learn and grow and voice and address your concerns.
    Our CEO is one in a million. Not only she is one of best in the business, but she is open and approachable and a great mentor.

Cons

I wish we had more opportunities to spend time with the amazing teams in our other offices.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on hiring employees that fit the company pillars.
    Don't give extra importance to non-performers just to be “good” to all.

6. "Dishonesty is major here"

I worked at Brand Connections part-time

Pros

* Great pay
    * Free products
    * No micro management
    *50 cent raises every year

Cons

Where do I start? This has got to be the most dishonest and sneaky company I've ever come across. If you have a family or responsibilities this IS NOT a job for you. This company hires and fires like it's a trend. There have been multiple times where I have witnessed unprofessional behavior. First they made a Full Time position involving one Target location which was great (before FT employees would have to travel between two target stores) Then about 6months later they cut out the FT stores which means we were all now PT employees. Not one common decency to give us a notice at all, benefits cut and checks now sliced in half. They have absolutely no consideration for their employees, they laid off half of BC employees FT & PT right after Christmas, as if they didn't know they were cutting the program from target stores months in advance. Completely blindsided, imagine being at work about to get off (Because being laid off that day isn't enough y'all actually made ppl go to work so you'll wouldn't have pay target for not having a BC in store that day) and you get a visit from someone at HR basically telling you it's your last day at work! If you were a FT employee working at 2 locations and the program got cut from one of your stores you were now PT. They are just MESSY.

Advice to Management

As a company where the BC are the only ones out in the target aisles actually doing the footwork treat us with respect. We are basically the face of the company most don't even know about because the past 2 years of promoting us was a fail. You guys let go loyal employees simply because of where they were located, not work ethic, the least you could have done was informed us on the changes coming so we can have ample time to prepare. You do know the rent is due each and every month whether you're employed or not right? You do know that people have families that are depending their income to get by right? The reason the company isn't doing well is all the wrongdoing you guys have done. Shame on you, I give this program 2 years TOPS. Adios!!!

"Insanity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I met some amazing people and friends while working at BC. Unfortunately, we all had the same struggle, and that was dealing with upper management.

Cons

I have never been exposed to such unprofessional behavior in my life. Upper management consists of bitter, catty women who seem like they have something against younger female staff members. I remember several occasions when these same women would make comments about their subordinates bodies, clothing choice etc. I am shocked that some members of the management team are in the position that they are in. Only male executive is inappropriate and lives to throw everyone under the bus. Please, stay away from this place if you want to further your career.

Advice to Management

Get fresh, new talent. Too comfortable for too long. VPs working from home 4-5 days a week doesn't work ;)

"Disloyal"

Former Employee - Beauty Concierge

I worked at Brand Connections full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gratis vacation time if full time there Isn't many pros to this company it's going down hill, it's totally different now than when I first started

Cons

I worked as a BC for 3 years and one day the company decided to put my entire district on the phone and fire us all the president of the company was very cold and heartless about it. Kept us all on mute and didn't answer any questions about why this was happening. Beware!

Advice to Management

Start being honest with your employees

"good company if you're ok working alone"

Former Employee - Beauty Concierge

I worked at Brand Connections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

independence, free gratis, fun training days, good pay

Cons

have nothing to do when it's slow because all you're allowed to do is clean, being there till 8:30 made no sense as it almost always was dead by 6, medical benefits were way too expensive, after a year, i maxed out with pay raises which begs the question, why stay if you never make more money?

"if you were wondering..."

Former Employee - Beauty Concierge

I worked at Brand Connections part-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay is good as a starter
    gratis every 3 months
    training on beauty products

Cons

Long hours
    work