Brand Connections 104 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sherry Orel

Pros
  • great incentives (free products) (in 13 reviews)

• The company spends great money on training you and great pay and great benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is such a lack of communication because the District manager doesn (in 11 reviews)

• Target staff doesnt work well with many beauty concierge (in 10 reviews)

"Beauty concierge"

Former Employee - Beauty Concierge in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Beauty Concierge in Denver, CO

I worked at Brand Connections part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working solo
    Gratis
    Making a difference
    Target store affiliated
    Product training
    Trend updates

Cons

Management is horrible
    Company itself is very unprofessional
    Can never get an actual answer
    They procrastinate on everything
    Getting owed pay, w2's and stubs is harder then getting into college.
    The hire system is a fail when they hire people who are not a fit.
    No room for growth

Advice to Management

Communication all around, to each other and employees. This is a professional company so behave that way.
    Give employees more opportunities for growth that will lead to less people quitting.
    Listen to employees they are the ones on the floor they know better then anyone on what is needed and what is lacking

"The beauty of Beauty Concierge"

Pros

Often times I have read negative reviews about Brandconnections specifically Pinpoint and the Beauty Concierge Program and wondered, "who are these people?" While I understand everyone has a right to their opinion of their experience, I am not sure if they are working with the same company I am.
    My experience as been one of professional growth. I love the independent work style and knowing that managers have a open door policy.
    I felt the leaders actually give more information to the team than other companies.
    It's a independent work environment so you can rise to the occasion or fall behind but the choice is up to you.
    If you are struggling than be open to communicating this to your manager and but also be open to the coaching and feedback.
    You are working with people who are passionate so yes we all drank the red bull and have wings!!!

Cons

Beauty Concierge positions are not right someone who needs continued guidance, coaching and hand holding. if you have integrity and love working independently then you should sign up!

"Not impressed"

Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple, free products. Makeup, skincare, haircare, body. That's about it.
    Knowing Target sales befit they hit so getting first dipps on couponing

Cons

The *Cons* definitely outweigh the *Pros*. During the interview and hiring process they'll feed you this long drawn out story about how amazing and fun the job is. When in actuality they want you to do the MOST and you don't even really get paid for. If your full-time you're usually split up between two stores you have to come in every day and harass the staff, tally mark each and every little thing you do, they want you to take pictures of things that you sell, go to the shenanigans of these 'events'. They tell us we're supposed to just sell/help. When in actuality we end up having to be the clean up crew, picking out damages constantly putting things back running in circles But here's the real deal. 90% of the people don't even want your help because this is Target. Most people use you as the information desk to point them in the direction of what they already know they want. The people who really do want your help are people who truly need to go to a makeup counter and have a sit-down consultation. The job itself is boring and overrated. If you are a true professional makeup artist you'll go insane dealing with Instagram/blog Junkies. This would be a great job for someone who has zero experience in retail or cosmetics. Aside from all the nonsense they want you to do in store they also want you to squeeze in watching weekly webinars and videos about rhetorical things. Then there's the portal page. A knock-off version of social media where all concierge personnel meet up and talk about what their favorite mascara is and what brands are cruelty free paraben free soy free and gluten free. As if most packaging doesn't already say so, or better yet Google and Siri. Long story short this job's fabulous four some really loves to work around the clock but if you have a personal/home life this is not for you especially not for what they pay.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Also when it comes to training stick to things that people can properly comprehend. Everything I see in the webinars are just conditioning people to be repetitive about active ingredients and treatment goals that they truly don't even understand. Which results in customers taking home products that aren't even for them whether it's skin care or cosmetics. Majority of Target staff could care less about what the concierge is doing, as long as she's doing her job. So chill out on the excessive harassing store person throughout the day. Considering the fact that we don't get paid commission, all of this tally marking, taking pictures of baskets, it's pointless!!

"Beauty Concierge"

Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in Euless, TX

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free full sized products every quarter shipped in a 10lb box to your door. also free full sized items whenever you participate in vendor training.
    - Not micromanaged. Have a good bit of freedom although it enforces a higher responsibility.
    -fixed hours unless you make yourself available for extra shift coverage. But as full time its usually pretty cut dry.
    -Learn a lot about different beauty products hosted in Target Stores Health and Beauty departments.
    -Opportunity for advancement
    -Plenty of sample items to take

Cons

-The opportunity for advancement comes from this job being a revolving door very few people have been here for over a year.
    -Some of the demands seem impossible and downright unreasonable. Management has a hard time understanding limits and variables.
    -Good Luck getting time off. We are always "short staffed" so shift coverage is hard to come by.
    -Benefits are expense and very few practitioners accept it.

Advice to Management

Chill out on some of the sales demands. We don't recieve commision, so we shouldnt be stressed to meet a goal. Also relax on overloading our stores with samples. There are too many samples sent to us with the expectation of distributing all of them within the month.

Nov 3, 2016

We understand that potential job candidates use this website to get a glimpse into our company and our culture so your endorsement is appreciated. We have many happy team members that are learning a ... More

"Love the job. The company needs major improvements"

Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time

Pros

Education, Gratis, The job itself

Cons

I'm currently employed for brand connection as an "On call" beauty concierge. I switched to On Call from Full time after transferring states, taking a $2 pay cut (which was said to be because of the cost of living from Colorado to Texas, Which I didn't make a big deal about because I wanted a change of scenery anyways. But in any case if an employee would move states to fill a position that you struggled to fill you'd think the company would be happy to make it worth it for them), and Not getting a review or a raise as promised for my 9th month with the company which I still haven't gotten till this very day (My 9th month was in June, it's now August). My District Manager said she'd been waiting for Someone to send the new form for the review which was the excuse for a whole month.

I don't hate Brand Connections. I actually love the job itself, meeting people daily and getting to touch so many women through a simple beauty consultation is nothing short of amazing. However the company truly lacks organization, structure, and good management. Since I started working here on September 6th 2015 they've changed the sales method 3 times.

They have trouble building a solid team of beauty concierges mostly because they won't pay us what we are worth. I'm a licensed Esthetician, on average a licensed Esthetician makes $30,340 per year, Brand connections doesn't require a license but they do "prefer" employees have one. It's hard to prefer a skill and education level that you don't want to actually pay your employees to have.

Upon employment they talk about the opportunities to grow within the company (which also isn't true) I applied for the District Sales Manager position. I was told I don't have enough experience. Skill is something that's taught. I don't have to be experienced to learn a skill. The irony of the situation is they hired someone from outside of the company and actually taught her the same skill they didn't want to teach me.

I'm currently in Houston, Texas. The Houston market is about 10 times more unorganized than the Denver market, which honestly isn't unorganized at all.

I've covered so many shifts on my days off, I've cleaned the beauty isle, I've kept boxes of samples in my car because brand connections doesn't pay for a space to keep them in target, I've been exceptional, I've gone above and beyond for Brand Connections and they haven't even taken the time to give me the review and raise that I more than deserve.

My advice is to use brand connections as a stepping stone. I used to want to grow and want to be in management and work long term for brand connections but I've realized that it's honestly not the kind of company I should want to grow with. I should want to grow with a company that values their employees. So, Absorb all of the knowledge you can. Get all the experience you can, then move on. At $12.50 per hour they aren't paying enough to cover all of anyone's bills in this economy. You, the beauty concierge ARE the one that's standing for 8 hours per day, doing consultations, MAKING THE SALES, the beauty concierge is the reason this company exists. But sadly we make the least amount of money.

Advice to Management

Keep your world. If you say raise and review give a raise and review. If you say opportunities for growth mean opportunities for growth.

Hire better people. It's no fun coming in on days off.

Get a solid program structure

Get solid management

Aug 3, 2016

“We have a long-standing open-door policy where any team member at any level can request a meeting with anyone in management to share both compliments and constructive feedback. We believe that the ... More

"An overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

A smart, dedicated, and approachable CEO who really believes in what Brand Connections is and what we can become. The leadership team consists of some of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met, bringing years of industry experience and value to our clients. People who write negative things are generally just unhappy or disgruntled people. I have seen firsthand the CEO make every effort to ensure employees at BC are challenged, motivated but most of all, happy. I love the work hard play hard culture, the leadership team values hard work and rewards it. I felt compelled to write something because I am sick of immature and disgruntled employees vetting their frustrations behind their keyboard.

Cons

Petty gossip among individual teams. But in a company that overwhelmingly consists of women, it is to be expected.

Aug 3, 2016

"I agree with Mr./Ms. "Believe the Hype""

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time

Pros

I too have to speak up for the company on behalf of the wave of disgruntled and obviously privileged millennials (I am a millennial as well) who've recently posted their tantrums to the site: you guys, grow up. Seriously.

Brand Connections does whatever in their power to ensure a fun but EFFECTIVE environment for all. After reading the reviews, I honestly feel sorry for the CEO and COO because they do all that they can to create a happy workplace (weekly peapod orders, full benefits, expenses, unlimited sick days, causal offices, motivation/encouragement, staff events/lunches/holiday parties all. the. time, samples galore, etc.) but yet they are betrayed by former employees (to whatever degree) by blatant ungratefulness. There are plenty of people that work for this company (in ALL offices) that appreciate our perks AND jobs.

Cons

Okay, here's the real deal guys: all of the reviews on this site are divided into two categories -- the Beauty Concierge program (field employees), and the corporate employees. I cannot speak about the Beauty Concierge program, because I work in the corporate office--but the few employees who have posted from corporate (which is probably the same people multiple times--and let's be honest, they are from the NY office, because NONE of the other 8 offices deal with this amount of petty ridiculousness), self-reflection will get you far. Ask yourself what you did and how you can improve within yourself for a more pleasant experience in your next position?

Maybe BC wasn't for you, and that's fine. But to come to glassdoor to whine about your accountability to a job is cowardly and frankly unfair to those who currently work here and work hard every single day. Don't come here to try embarrass us and our company culture. We're to busy to be involved in that. Simply continue to embarrass yourselves on your own time.

Advice to Management

Our clients love us and we continue to get major business with major companies for a REASON. Some of us appreciate the challenge. Others don't. Don't allow the latter to create mistrust in employees (although, I couldn't blame you if it did).

Jun 29, 2016

"Believe The Hype"

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time

Pros

It's funny discovering these reviews and then being shocked at what I am reading. Lovely world where you can sucker punch someones character and not be held accountable which brings me to my pro -- Open door and open communication is embraced. There is no need to hide behind ones smart phone after 4 cocktails and rant and rave (queue the sucker punch). Refreshing that leaders actually listen even to the tough feedback if you have the spine to show your face and share it. I have honestly not seen that openness anywhere else in my career. Pro #2, this company goes to the mat for its employees hence why I am going to the mat for my leaders right now.

Cons

A true con is having to listen to the few that are utter complainers. The few that sit aside and whisper about the woes of being held accountable in a job.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice for my managers. My advice is to the reviewers that authored their thoughts in a rage. Take a breath and decide what kind of person you really want to be.

Jun 29, 2016

"8 district managers have already left and we are only half way through the year."

Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Concierge in New York, NY

I have been working at Brand Connections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free gratis. Great knowledge with the vendor and weekly trainings. Meeting great guests in ailse. Helping as a stepping stone for a real career in the future.

Cons

For 8 district managers to leave so far this year has made me feel very uneasy. Of course employees can all rant on here but obviously something must be wrong because that is a huge chunk of upper management to leave in such a short time.

Advice to Management

Try to understand why everyone is leaving. What is going on?

Jul 11, 2016

"Truly a miserable place for nearly everyone"

I worked at Brand Connections full-time

Pros

I'm struggling to think of many, as Brand Connections was the worst professional experience of my life. The camaraderie you form with other employees while dealing with all the absurdity of it all is probably the major one. You also are able to have a low level of supervision which is nice if you are an independent worker and can get things done solo.

Cons

Hard to know where to start. People like to complain about their bosses at every job, that's life, but I have never seen or heard about anything close to the level of incompetence, unprofessionalism, and disrespect that some of the management team exhibit.

First, the incompetence. Across the board, the work here is slapped together. Nearly every client deliverable, large or small, ends up being a "fire drill" with a major component going wrong causing stress and panic. This largely has to do with massive communications gaps across teams and the client teams overpromising to clients without having any knowledge on what they are talking about and then realizing they don't have the time or resources in-house to deliver. This is no doubt a big reason for the trouble the company is currently having retaining clients. This culture of panic panic panic is also extremely toxic for morale. Stress and working against the clock is totally normal for any agency - this, however, is not that. It feels like an agency promising high quality work but running out of someone's garage.

Second, the unprofessionalism. I have seen certain members of the management team say incredibly offensive things (sometimes targeted at specific team members and sometimes offhandedly offensive comments). I have seen those same members of the management team make jokes about employees sex lives and appearances. I have seen team members berated and screamed at for things that are not their fault and humiliated in front of large groups. I have seen client-facing team members ramble incomprehensibly on the phone with clients as if they were not sober.

Third, the disrespect. Across the board, for the amount of work that people put in, the pay is laughable. The "benefits" that the shill positive reviews in here boast are meager, at best. Regardless of what the copy and pasted responses to these reviews say, there is not an open dialogue with the management team and the team members time or work is not valued.

All of this combined makes for a suffocating work environment. Morale is consistently so low and work undoubtedly suffers because of it. Since starting a new job and seeing how a professional office operates and treats its employees, it opened my eyes to just how poorly employees at Brand Connections are treated.

Advice to Management

Management has noticed where morale is and tried to combat it by implementing "perks." That's great. But small gestures don't really do much when the infrastructure is so broken and the environment is so toxic. I believe they should bring in new management blood in order to uproot the problems, hire more middle management to gain some actual leadership and help close these communication gaps, and actually be open to listening. The current claims about open communication are mostly bull, as any feedback is met with extreme defensiveness, which is why employee turnover continues to be sky high.