Brand Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Brand Institute President and CEO Jim Dettore
Jim Dettore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hard work does not go unnoticed here (in 17 reviews)

• Moreover, it is great to have such great Fortune 500 companies as clients, and the client list is growing everyday (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • As in any business, you must find a work - life balance and that can be a challenge at times (in 6 reviews)

• s a fast paced environment but if you put in the effort, you will be rewarded (in 8 reviews)

1. "Honest Review"

Former Employee - New Business Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - New Business Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Brand Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Biggest thing about BI is that you learn A LOT if you are at all interested in what you're doing. This was my first job out of college and I didn't realize how hard it is to come by this type of opportunity. The CEO is old school and spends considerable time teaching new business associates business basics that don't get nearly enough air time in other work environments I've experienced since leaving BI in 2015.

Cons

Some unnecessary drama which is the result of a highly competitive environment

Advice to Management

Allow new business people to work outside of Miami and you might retain more quality employees (like me)

2. "Amazing leadership from the top down!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brand Institute and its subsidiary Drug Safety Institute (DSI) offer wonderful learning and career advancement opportunities for all employees at every level. So many of my colleagues have been promoted to more prestigious and lucrative roles over the years, and the company is incredibly accommodating in allowing employees to move around the country and world to seek new opportunities or to follow their spouses or family members should their work situation change. Jim Dettore provides strong leadership and guidance for all employees. He genuinely cares about the professional development of every single person in every single office. His vast and immense personal and career experience truly benefit all of us here.

Cons

The workload and hours are very fair, but our clients do have demands at all times of the day and night - every single week of the year. Every employee at BI and DSI is expected to meet those client demands immediately and responsively, since client satisfaction is what brings repeat clients and referrals.

Advice to Management

Please stay as involved as you are in the professional development of employees at every office and at every level. Thank you!

"An Honest Review of BI"

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Brand Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty much everyone aside from the CEO is a real pleasure to work with.
    Compensation and benefits are very solid. You get to work for an undeniable industry leader (in pharmaceutical naming/branding), which always makes the sales job easier. Plus you get a ton of repeat business from clients (who are always coming up with new drugs) if you do your job right.

Cons

The CEO. He's an egomaniac and control freak who uses fear as a leadership tactic. While effective (as history shows), it can create an incredibly stressful work environment, and if you don't fall in line or meet quotas, you will be cast aside. There's an astoundingly high turnover rate (and quite a few quit loudly!) While this in theory should generate productivity, in reality it results in everyone from the top down lying to the CEO on a daily basis about what kind of work they're putting out and him being deluded enough to believe it. However, if you learn to play the game and keep your head down, it's fairly easy to navigate. You do do actual work and the company makes actual money, and as long as that second criteria is met, the man is an absolute peach. But boy you better put food on the table, or be prepared to get criticized, berated, and humiliated in the meetings.

Oh, and 9/10 of the 5-star reviews are from people trying to get recognition from the CEO (he scours this site and given that there's only 1 or 2 people per region, it's quite easy to figure out who wrote what) or from employees he explicitly asked to write positive reviews. So take that for whatever it's worth.

Advice to Management

Jim, I really respect the fighter's spirit that you have and the fire that you're able to bring to your job each day. That was a daily inspiration to work harder and reach higher. And there's nothing wrong with setting expectations and cutting loose those who fall short. But try to recognize when you're publicly attacking and shaming someone and ask yourself if that's the most effective motivator. While fear is easy and undoubtedly effective (as any dictator will tell you), there are in fact better ways to motivate people, and I challenge you to invest time in educating yourself on what they are. I believe you will find that a truly great leader is bold yet compassionate. Someone who inspires you and you want to make proud--not someone you fear.

"Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - President in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - President in Miami, FL

I worked at Brand Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are given a great deal of autonomy on how to run your territory. While the main focus of BI is in Healthcare, opportunities in B2B work and consumer are out there and it was encouraged by senior management to attack those revenue streams.

Cons

There can be some long days due to the size of the territory.

5. "Great Opportunity-- now on the client side"

Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I worked at Brand Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Incredible people.
    Learned agency side experience and how to manage client expectations.
    Strong support and infrastructure.
    Lead to introduction to current employer on the client side.

Cons

Need to be comfortable in a presenting role and have strong interpersonal skills to handle clients.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the incentives and support.

"Amazing Opportunities, Great Clients, and Talent Recognition!"

Current Employee - President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been exposed to numerous top tier clients and experiences that have allowed me multiple promotions and to elevate my career trajectory. In addition, the management of this company have mentored me to provide a fantastic work experience.

I have worked both in Miami and in the field and have always felt supported and important when it comes to decisions that affected me or my team.

Cons

As in any business, you must find a work - life balance and that can be a challenge at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster and acquire the terrific talent that exists within the company.

"Perfect Company to Learn and Grow!"

Current Employee - President - Boston in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - President - Boston in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Brand Institute is the perfect company to work and grow with if you are driven, passionate and willing to work hard to bring value to the company . Hard work does not go unnoticed here! In my 8 years at Brand Institute, I have been rewarded handsomely and continuously promoted based on my achievements, innovative ideas and hard work. What I enjoy the most is getting the chance to work with the most innovative companies and Industry experts in the healthcare space.

If you are willing to do more than what you are asked for, you will be appreciated and rewarded accordingly. Great opportunities for growth and work/life balance are there for those who are willing to over achieve and bring value to the agency.

Cons

You cannot be lazy at Brand Institute. If you want to have a job that simply pays your bills and allows you to be comfortable, this is not the right fit.

"#1 for 12 years and counting…"

Current Employee - Trademark Analyst in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Trademark Analyst in Miami, FL

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Every company has employee’s that complain and never are satisfied, and best they move on.

In the 18 years that I have worked and followed our CEO and tenured management successful business strategies, their attention to acquiring, keeping, and motivating the best Talent in our industry amazes me. You have to innovate and work harder and smarter to compete in today’s highly competitive branding industry, which we do well. Starting at the bottom in 1993 and working our way to # 1 in healthcare name development in 2004, continuing to stay # 1 for 12 going on 13 consecutive years, while knocking off many competitors and huge ad agencies along the way is an incredible achievement for Brand Institute.

Very few companies stay at # 1 that long, so the current business model truly works, by way of our CEO’s vision, vs. other competitors that have tried to replicate it, but never have. For me, it feels great working and learning with the best branding company in our space.

Cons

Staying # 1 is difficult and hard work, including putting in extra hours, and constant demands that challenge your learning curve and response time. Innovation never stops at Brand Institute, leading to the need for working smarter and harder, but very its rewarding.

Advice to Management

Stay # 1

"Stay away from Brand Institute if you like job security"

I worked at Brand Institute full-time

Pros

Occasional lunches and dinners if the location you work at reached a certain financial goal.

Cons

Temperamental upper management that exhibits bipolar behavior. One minute they are your friend, the next minute they are ready to throw you under a bus. When you work for BI, be prepared to be verbally abused, belittled and have no life outside of BI. Any ideas that are "outside of the box" are frowned upon, very high turnover rate (they should put a revolving door at the entrance), morale is low, stress level is high and they LOVE to play the blame game.

Advice to Management

Upper managememt needs to learn how to treat employees better. We are humans, not cattle.

"One of a kind"

I have been working at Brand Institute full-time

Pros

Amazing perks include steakhouse lunches and 100% employer paid health benefits. Global company but still small enough that everyone knows your name. No bureaucracy, unlike big companies and government agencies, improvements are implemented quickly and efficiently.

Cons

Sometimes long hours/weekends are necessary to get the job done. The company is very strict about timeliness and deadlines which can be stressful if you're not organized.

Advice to Management

Implement a mentorship program to leverage tenured team member knowledge to improve the effectiveness of younger associates.