Brand Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Brand Networks Chief Executive Officer Dave Fall
Dave Fall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is fantastic if you're used to engineering in a typical startup (in 7 reviews)

• It's an unfortunate reality of business, but it should never be used as a direct reflection of the company as a whole or the people who work there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Brand Networks is an absolute terrible company to work for with zero company culture (in 5 reviews)

• There is little to no real management (in 3 reviews)

"Great New CEO and Motivated Coworkers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new CEO has a great sense of where the market is moving, is motivated to do the right things and grow the company in smart ways, and he's pointing the company in all the right directions. This has most of the staff feeling motivated to push hard to make the company the hands-down best player in the ecosystem. New technology and a core of seasoned managers and individual contributors are helping to generate momentum.

Cons

Advertising tech as a whole is a more competitive space than it's been in a long time, which is creating unique challenges. Also, the organization has historically been homogeneously spread across many offices. The new push to consolidate functions into multiple centers of excellence feels like a healthy way to foster growth and collaboration.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward. Keep communicating. Keep doing what you're doing.

"Media"

Current Employee - Media
    Current Employee - Media

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deep exposure to all paid social media. Awesome coworkers. Keg with beer and cold brew on tap. Transparency and respect from executive level with new leadership team. Some great clients, depending on how lucky you are. Opportunities for interesting and challenging projects but outside of your already busy core responsibilities.

Cons

Little to no training and no investment in people or professional development, with the exception of a few managers. Mistakes blamed on employees and little is done to teach better or prevent. Disrespectful and competitive instead of collaborative attitudes at the director level. Unfulfilled promises and urgent projects going months and years without progress or updates. Gossip and rumor-filled culture due to lack of communication from senior management. Many unhappy employees who talk incessantly about wanting to quit. Undefined and stagnant career paths. False and unclear promises regarding raises and promotions.

Advice to Management

Value the people you have and give them the opportunities and rewards they have earned. If you make a promise, follow through. Train directors and managers on how to actually make a difference instead of all talk and no action.

"Thankful and appreciative to work at such a great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment-open floor plan
    Hard working co-workers/friends
    Interesting and innovative projects
    Caring and involved management
    Many office perks- free coffee, snacks, sodas etc.
    Company happy hours
    Free lunchtime yoga offered
    Team building activities
    Good work/home life balance
    Great medical benefits

Cons

I have worked here for over a year and a half, I don't have any major cons to mention.

I would like to say, I hope my coworkers/friends realize how good we have it here at BN. We are very lucky!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Jun 15, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I’m glad to know you feel good about Brand Networks as I do. Together, everyone at BN works hard to promote a positive culture and work environment that we can all be proud... More

"Bleed Orange"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented people. Exciting, challenging work. Lots of freedom to carve out your own niche if you're also filling a need. Great place to start your career or to hone your skills & grow. Competitive compensation. Fairly liberal with PTO usage. Very family-friendly, while still retaining youthful energy. Working from home once-in-a-while is a possibility.

Cons

Growing pains and bad blood from acquisitions. The company has made a lot of changes this year that I'm confident will remedy these cons and make for an even stronger company.

Since it's a fairly small company, it can also be difficult to find career advancement opportunities past a certain point. This is an unfortunate reality.

Jun 15, 2017 – CEO

I appreciate that you took time to share your current experience while also acknowledging that things have not always been perfect at Brand Networks. We are doing better, as you noted, but we can and... More

"Nothing but Optimism for Brand Networks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Brand Networks long enough to see both sides of the coin—the good, and the not so good, the latter of which is being unfairly (and often colorfully) portrayed in recent reviews.

I get it, layoffs and change can be tough, but there isn't a successful company in history that hasn't gone through it. It's an unfortunate reality of business, but it should never be used as a direct reflection of the company as a whole or the people who work there. Could some of this have been avoided? Maybe. Have the speedbumps been tough? Of course. But if you ask me if Brand Networks' future is bright, my answer will continue to be "absolutely."

In the short time that Todd has been at the helm, he has instilled a new level of trust and transparency. As a whole, the new leadership team has a clear vision, and everything they do is a stepping stone to get there. From my perspective, there shouldn't be anything but optimism. Success is to be worked for, and it certainly doesn't happen overnight.

Cons

I'll admit that while working with people all over the world has its benefits, it does take its toll, especially on communication. That said, it's something the leadership team is aware of and are working on to ensure that Brand Networks operates as one despite the distance between the offices.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Hold true to your promises, remain transparent, and continue to do what's in the best interest of Brand Networks.

"BN is the Sears of social media companies"

I worked at Brand Networks full-time

Pros

-Our inability to pay for office supplies means my desk was easy to clean out!

-It was easy to tell when payday was around the corner because you could see management collecting cans in the kitchen and looking for spare change between couch cushions.

-Unfortunately I left before it got to the point where we were going Dutch with clients.

Just kidding I was actually going to give the company a solid two stars but then I realized I needed to counterbalance the fake five star reviews people have been writing recently. That, or this company got super awesome for one week in May and I missed it.

Cons

-Losing clients left and right
    -Competition is light years ahead because of the utter lack of investment in product
    -Wouldn't know a smart employee if they wrote it on their forehead
    -lack of consistency
    -Dying culture

Advice to Management

Don't stop buying all of your monkeys buckets to keep the ship from sinking. Just keep the receipt in case it does.

Jul 5, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I’m disappointed to read that you left us with such a negative outlook. If we let your concerns slip through the cracks somehow, that’s unacceptable. I... More

"Very Disorganized Environment"

I worked at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good office culture, progressive product

Cons

Not collaborative, poor communication, no structure of teams

Advice to Management

When building out smaller teams to support high-end clients, hiring more personnel than needed leads to big issues down the road. Teams did not work together as a close-knit company should, despite all fo the "outings" - which the culture just covers up all of the issues this company has. The structure and hierarchy is constantly changing and overall not a great place to gain professional skills. Managers were often underqualified for the role that they planned to fill, and the residual stress of not being able to meet clients needs fell negatively onto the team.

Jun 15, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. Thanks for helping me understand your viewpoint about the ways teams were staffed and led while you were at Brand Networks. I want you to know that we are... More

"Lots of Sour Grapes in Recent Reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was one of the people released in the April reduction, so I understand the frustration people are feeling, but here's the real deal in response to all the negative feedback. Reductions happen. The company is going through a tough transitional period where it's finally taking the steps it needs in order to transition from a managed services company (primarily media services for big brands) to a real product company. Anyone who would expect that to be a painless transition doesn't know what they're talking about.

In my time at Shift and BN I found people who cared, a generally positive environment, and a lot of flexibility to try new and different things. Definitely could have been worse. My Immediate leadership was understanding of technical complexities and supportive overall.

Do I wish things would have gone differently? Yes. Is this a company heading for disaster? I don't think so, and I wish them a lot of luck

Cons

The biggest problem with the recent reductions is that--there have been a few of them. The company should have made the hard decisions up front and made all cuts at once if possible.

Advice to Management

Sounds like transparency is the word of the day, glad to hear it.

Apr 28, 2017 – CEO

We understand the frustration some folks walked away with, and we appreciate your feedback. As you noted, transparency is the key to transformation. We are eager to continue building a culture that... More

"Industry veteran in an interesting place"

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time

Pros

Good, diverse, fun group of people. In general, people are approachable, friendly, and happy to help if they can.

Plenty of room to branch out into new functions if you want to.

New leadership has a focus and a game plan that's been lacking in the past, and is accessible to employees.

Work-life balance is fantastic if you're used to engineering in a typical startup.

Cons

BN has lacked focus for the past couple of years, and has fallen behind leaders in the field. New leadership has acknowledged this and is working to change it, but there are a lot of old decisions to work around.

Recent layoffs have hurt morale.

May 4, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m pleased that you feel the Leadership team has been able to provide focus and direction along with a healthy work-life balance. These are good... More

"New management is a breath of fresh air!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time

Pros

New CEO who was appointed in March, and the leadership team he has assembled is impressive. Right out of the gate, they have explicitly talked about changing the culture of the company, and fostering a sense of togetherness /teamwork. The toxicity and dysfunction that existed in the company before is now in the rear-view mirror.

Built on a foundation of transparency and trust, the company is turning the corner, and while there are some pitfalls, I’m very optimistic about the future with the new leadership in place.

Cons

Multiple offices make it challenging sometimes to coordinate with co-workers

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees. They are your greatest asset!

Jun 15, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I appreciate you taking the time to write such kind words, and I want you to know that I have no intention of resting on any laurels. We still have much more to... More