Brand Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Taplin

"Lots of Sour Grapes in Recent Reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was one of the people released in the April reduction, so I understand the frustration people are feeling, but here's the real deal in response to all the negative feedback. Reductions happen. The company is going through a tough transitional period where it's finally taking the steps it needs in order to transition from a managed services company (primarily media services for big brands) to a real product company. Anyone who would expect that to be a painless transition doesn't know what they're talking about.

In my time at Shift and BN I found people who cared, a generally positive environment, and a lot of flexibility to try new and different things. Definitely could have been worse. My Immediate leadership was understanding of technical complexities and supportive overall.

Do I wish things would have gone differently? Yes. Is this a company heading for disaster? I don't think so, and I wish them a lot of luck

Cons

The biggest problem with the recent reductions is that--there have been a few of them. The company should have made the hard decisions up front and made all cuts at once if possible.

Advice to Management

Sounds like transparency is the word of the day, glad to hear it.

"New management is a breath of fresh air!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time

Pros

New CEO who was appointed in March, and the leadership team he has assembled is impressive. Right out of the gate, they have explicitly talked about changing the culture of the company, and fostering a sense of togetherness /teamwork. The toxicity and dysfunction that existed in the company before is now in the rear-view mirror.

Built on a foundation of transparency and trust, the company is turning the corner, and while there are some pitfalls, I’m very optimistic about the future with the new leadership in place.

Cons

Multiple offices make it challenging sometimes to coordinate with co-workers

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees. They are your greatest asset!

3. "Senior DEVOPS engineer"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open office environment, floor plan

Cons

Busy office environment, open floor plan

"Great coworkers. Mediocre everything else."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Brand Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and team leaders

Cons

No 401k matching
    Mediocre pay
    Frequent layoffs
    Expensive healthcare from out of state provider
    Lots of infighting among the board of directors and C-levels. Total bros too.
    Little chance for career advancement

"A dying company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing is positive here. Everything starts to fall apart

Cons

First, I want to point out the most recent review of this company is made by internal HR to make it sound like they're doing ok. The fact is, the company has been struggling to differentiate itself in ad tech market saturated with many competitor.

A year ago, the company is doing fine until recently when they make a few bad hiring decision. Multiple executives left the company as well as big client. The company lost millions of dollar in customer account and potential contract with big firm. They have multiple lay offs and decided to appoint a new CEO to cope with this situation.

The new CEO who used to be a lawyer with no product experience in ad tech space. The death spiral continues as they make a few bad decisions on key product initiative. They kept losing customer and recently decided to lay off key product team in Santa Monica, San Francisco and Chicago. The product which generate the most revenue is put in maintenance mode, where they divert their focus to automation tool, hoping that would be the cure for incurable disease that is already spreading within the organization.

Within a few year, more lay off will happen and they will be forced to either liquidate all company asset to pay back investor, or have a big sell out for a bargain price. It's overwhelmingly obvious that a big storm is coming, but everyone here pretends there is nothing and seems to prefer living in their own bubble, including the CEO.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Stay Away. This company is going into insolvency mode and bankruptcy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros
    Company is completely a joke

Cons

Management is incompetent
    No real sense of innovation
    No idea how to make product
    More like an ad agency
    Executive is a joke, they do not care about employee
    They lost a bunch of money and now is filing for bankruptcy. They decided to lay off everyone in Chicago, Santa Monica and San Francisco office this week. The only thing left is Rochester office and the future is uncertain for those who work there

Advice to Management

Just go find another job where you don't have to manage people

Brand Networks Response

Apr 14, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your experience with Brand Networks was not what you'd hoped it would be. We are committed to creating an environment of empowerment, innovation and opportunity ... More

"Avoid at all cost"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some smart people are still there

Cons

Brand Networks is an absolute terrible company to work for with zero company culture. Management does not value employees at all and sill consistantly do the wrong thing. Upper management is entirely full of egotistical managers who prefer to fight amongst themselves vs. make changes the market necessetates.

Advice to Management

You aren't as clever as you think. Shrinking revenue should not be a surprise.

"Fun Startup Trying to Get More Serious"

Former Employee - Designer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Brand Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BN had some really great perks. Small, close-working teams develop excellent relationships with one another. I've made some of my best friends there. Extremely flexible with the ability to work from home if and when needed. Nice work-life balance, especially for those with kids. Free snacks, a few happy-hours here and there, fun outings, exciting work. My supervisor was very mindful of my personal/professional goals and worked tirelessly to make them happen. Benefits are alright depending on your needs.

Cons

The company loves to talk about how they're transparent, but I would consider it more to be "selective transparency." There is currently no 401k matching. Your value to upper management is determined by how much business and revenue you bring to the company. I did not feel very important, nor did I think the c-suite valued my work very much. Speaking of which, the c-suite is full of "bros." For men, success seems to be more attainable. If you are male, I think you can expect to do very well here. Women, however, should be prepared to fight for your worth. I was definitely low-balled when negotiating salary. The way they handle acquisitions & layoffs is a complete mess and very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Get to know the smaller teams. Make an effort to understand the intricacies of the teams you oversee. Learn everyone's name. Give praise to those who work hard for you. Learn how to properly answer questions rather than making empty promises. If a team needs additional resources, work with them to make it happen.

"Best Company, Best Technology, Best Culture!"

Former Employee - Director, Technical Account Management in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Director, Technical Account Management in New Haven, CT

Pros

I am grateful I got to know a lot more people than I would at a normal job, always seemed like new people starting at our office every week or two. It wasn't really uptight like my last company because we didn't have to worry about any training or HR stuff, just sign you read the handbook and they leave you alone. Kegs in every office were a benefit especially when traveling to other offices (there were quite a few of those, lots of airmiles!). Oh did I mention the free beer, and no eyebrows raised if you dig in midday? We also had the best technology, though they didn't let anyone on my team try it, it was "just for big clients".

Cons

Only one downside was that nobody in the industry recognized our name. When I told one of my colleagues that was going to be my only con on the review, they said "kind of seems like a pro though, no"? I'm not sure what they meant.

Advice to Management

Never met the CEO, which would be nice. But other than that, don't change anything. Your doing great.

11. "Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun company, great benefits, great culture.

Cons

Bottom heavy, hard to move up.