Brand Networks Rochester Reviews

Updated Oct 4, 2018

4.2
Brand Networks Co-Founder and CEO Mike Garsin  (no image)
Mike Garsin
0 Rating
  1. "Best company I've ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Brand Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture, people, and lots of other stuff!!!

Cons

Nothing bad at all to say.

Continue reading
  2. "Great place with ups and downs"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Brand Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I worked with over the years where great. I felt like I was able to grow learn and make a difference at the company. The workplace in Rochester was fantastic. Everyone was easy going and great to work with. I was a rather outspoken member of the community and it was looked upon favorably rather than with annoyance.

Cons

Lots of high ranking turmoil around the time when I left (due to moving out of state) Benefits are just ok

May 7, 2018CEO

Thanks very much for your candid comments. Brand Networks has had its share of ups and downs, just like most companies that have been around as long as BN has—12 years in 2018. We are working to double down on the things you spoke about as positives. This is a place where opinions and ideas are welcome, always, and we are working hard to celebrate and recognize the great people who work here. Employee growth and development is our top priority in 2018. Thanks again for taking time to supply this feedback. Best of luck in your next endeavors! -Dave

"Great New CEO and Motivated Coworkers"

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The new CEO has a great sense of where the market is moving, is motivated to do the right things and grow the company in smart ways, and he's pointing the company in all the right directions. This has most of the staff feeling motivated to push hard to make the company the hands-down best player in the ecosystem. New technology and a core of seasoned managers and individual contributors are helping to generate momentum.

Cons

Advertising tech as a whole is a more competitive space than it's been in a long time, which is creating unique challenges. Also, the organization has historically been homogeneously spread across many offices. The new push to consolidate functions into multiple centers of excellence feels like a healthy way to foster growth and collaboration.

Continue reading

"Thankful and appreciative to work at such a great company!"

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment-open floor plan Hard working co-workers/friends Interesting and innovative projects Caring and involved management Many office perks- free coffee, snacks, sodas etc. Company happy hours Free lunchtime yoga offered Team building activities Good work/home life balance Great medical benefits

Cons

I have worked here for over a year and a half, I don't have any major cons to mention. I would like to say, I hope my coworkers/friends realize how good we have it here at BN. We are very lucky!

June 15, 2017CEO

Thank you for your review. I’m glad to know you feel good about Brand Networks as I do. Together, everyone at BN works hard to promote a positive culture and work environment that we can all be proud of. My door is always open, and I welcome your continued feedback. Thanks again for taking time to share. ~Todd

"Nothing but Optimism for Brand Networks"

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Brand Networks long enough to see both sides of the coin—the good, and the not so good, the latter of which is being unfairly (and often colorfully) portrayed in recent reviews. I get it, layoffs and change can be tough, but there isn't a successful company in history that hasn't gone through it. It's an unfortunate reality of business, but it should never be used as a direct reflection of the company as a whole or the people who work there. Could some of this have been avoided? Maybe. Have the speedbumps been tough? Of course. But if you ask me if Brand Networks' future is bright, my answer will continue to be "absolutely." In the short time that Todd has been at the helm, he has instilled a new level of trust and transparency. As a whole, the new leadership team has a clear vision, and everything they do is a stepping stone to get there. From my perspective, there shouldn't be anything but optimism. Success is to be worked for, and it certainly doesn't happen overnight.

Cons

I'll admit that while working with people all over the world has its benefits, it does take its toll, especially on communication. That said, it's something the leadership team is aware of and are working on to ensure that Brand Networks operates as one despite the distance between the offices.

"Bleed Orange"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talented people. Exciting, challenging work. Lots of freedom to carve out your own niche if you're also filling a need. Great place to start your career or to hone your skills & grow. Competitive compensation. Fairly liberal with PTO usage. Very family-friendly, while still retaining youthful energy. Working from home once-in-a-while is a possibility.

Cons

Growing pains and bad blood from acquisitions. The company has made a lot of changes this year that I'm confident will remedy these cons and make for an even stronger company. Since it's a fairly small company, it can also be difficult to find career advancement opportunities past a certain point. This is an unfortunate reality.

June 15, 2017CEO

I appreciate that you took time to share your current experience while also acknowledging that things have not always been perfect at Brand Networks. We are doing better, as you noted, but we can and will do much more to make this the best place to work that it can possibly be. I’m glad you brought up the challenges that our overall size can present when it comes to career advancement opportunities. Brand Networks always seeks to provide opportunities for growth, learning and development, as well as advancement from within. We are absolutely open to ideas. Please reach out to your local HR person if you see ways we could improve. ~Todd

"Senior DEVOPS engineer"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Open office environment, floor plan

Cons

Busy office environment, open floor plan

"Great coworkers. Mediocre everything else."

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Brand Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers and team leaders

Cons

No 401k matching Mediocre pay Frequent layoffs Expensive healthcare from out of state provider Lots of infighting among the board of directors and C-levels. Total bros too. Little chance for career advancement

June 15, 2017CEO

Thanks for taking time to share your feedback. First of all, I’m very pleased to hear you think highly of your immediate collaborators. I appreciate you sharing your feelings about your compensation package and opportunities for growth. We need to do more to bring transparency to the processes we use to make decisions about these things. First of all, we have conducted extensive research into how our compensation plans compare with other organizations of our size and composition, and I want you to know that we are dedicated to remaining competitive on this front. I’m sorry if you felt that you weren’t being compensated fairly. Our HR team has also worked hard to evaluate a range of health insurance providers, putting a priority on quality of care for each of our regional offices. We have worked to exert as much leverage as a company of our size can over premium pricing. I also want to take a second to address your feedback about the board. We understand that there has been a perception of infighting at the board level, and I want you to know that the board and leadership team have always been committed to working very closely. There’s always room to improve, but this organization has forged excellent alignment and is truly pressing forward. The feelings you’re sharing in these few, pithy sentences are important for me to hear. They remind me that the work that goes on behind the scenes to take care of our employees and show them they are valued too often goes unspoken internally. We may also not be addressing questions about these things with enough information and transparency. These are things I can work to improve. Thanks again for taking time to share. ~Todd

"Fun Startup Trying to Get More Serious"

Former Employee - Designer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Brand Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

BN had some really great perks. Small, close-working teams develop excellent relationships with one another. I've made some of my best friends there. Extremely flexible with the ability to work from home if and when needed. Nice work-life balance, especially for those with kids. Free snacks, a few happy-hours here and there, fun outings, exciting work. My supervisor was very mindful of my personal/professional goals and worked tirelessly to make them happen. Benefits are alright depending on your needs.

Cons

The company loves to talk about how they're transparent, but I would consider it more to be "selective transparency." There is currently no 401k matching. Your value to upper management is determined by how much business and revenue you bring to the company. I did not feel very important, nor did I think the c-suite valued my work very much. Speaking of which, the c-suite is full of "bros." For men, success seems to be more attainable. If you are male, I think you can expect to do very well here. Women, however, should be prepared to fight for your worth. I was definitely low-balled when negotiating salary. The way they handle acquisitions & layoffs is a complete mess and very unprofessional.

Continue reading
  10. "Simply Put; a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Brand Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Employees are given the flexibility they need to make good decisions unconstrained by typical corporate policies and politics. 2. Employees are encouraged to take technical and professional risks to help the company grow, improve client partnership, etc. 3. Employees are given a lot of flexibility in regards to their work/life balance. For the engineering teams, at least, people working more than 40-45 hours are few. 4. The culture and environment in Rochester are both very positive; people spend time together outside the office, and it's obvious that everyone really likes each other. 5. Management is extremely transparent about financial goals and company direction. 6. Management encourages team building that is self-directed by the teams (no "we're bringing someone in and we're going to do trust-falls..." type team building, instead, teams have gone to play laser tag, gotten dinner, and gone out for drinks). 7. As a smaller company, there are tons of ways to contribute, and those opportunities are available to those who express interest. Everyone is given a chance if they say they want to tr something, and if it doesn't work out, no one is beaten up over it. 8. Lots of different things to work on. Products? Yes. Tools? Yes. Client projects? Yes. 9. Nice machines to work on (Macbook Pro typically with additional 24" monitors). 10. The company is transitioning from small to medium sized, which provides a lot of opportunities to help define the way it will move forward.

Cons

1. The company is transitioning from a small team to a mid-sized group. The typical growing pains that accompany such a transition are apparent (need to operate with a little more discipline). 2. Some of the first employees have moved on in search of new opportunities. This isn't an indictment of the company, of course, and should be viewed as a mostly natural thing. 3. Some parts of the business are less well-managed than others (no surprise).

Found 17 reviews