Branding Brand Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is beyond exciting. First, there's a great sense of pride working for a company that powers shopping experiences for hundreds of the world's leading brands (congrats on 10+ years!). Pair that with, in my experience, the ability to shape your career and truly make an impact from inside the company. Time flies when you enjoy what you do and grow into new opportunities.

Other pros:

- Generous PTO and parental leave
    - Employee owned company
    - Flexible schedule and work-from-home option
    - Seeing K9 branders
    - Free lunch and drinks

Cons

A 401k match would be great, but there is an investment program and education offered as an option.

Advice to Management

Stay start-up scrappy, continue listening to your people, and keep up the open communication and transparency.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• great work environment
    • interesting work

Cons

• layoffs
    • low pay - good place to start out, not a good place to be senior

Advice to Management

streamline and focus on writing code for clients so you can make more money and pay a competitive salary

"Not a cookie-cutter job with mundane tasks"

I have been working at Branding Brand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OPPORTUNITIES & EDUCATION
    My favorite part about working at Branding Brand is that your job title and description don't restrict you from trying and learning new things and growing within the company.

PEOPLE & CULTURE
    The people at Branding Brand are genuine, smart, and talented. In the 6 years that I've worked for the company, I've been able to learn so much by collaborating with them and overhearing conversations in the open office plan as well as the community spaces.

CLIENTS & PROJECTS
    Even though many people haven't heard about Branding Brand, almost everyone has heard of the clients it serves. The client base is extremely impressive and having your name associated with helping some of the biggest retailers execute their digital strategy is something you can be proud of.

WORK / LIFE BALANCE
    Branding Brand has a generous vacation/PTO policy. Starting out, you accrue 18 days in a year and they also give about 12 holidays off, which is amazing!

Cons

CHALLENGES & SPEAKING UP
    Although this wasn't a con for me, this environment is not suited for people who have the mentality "that's not part of my job description" because there are times when people need to step out of their comfort zones and step up to a new challenge to help the company succeed. Additionally, you must be comfortable stating your ideas and backing them up with facts. Those who feel they're not heard are typically people who sit around waiting for someone to ask them their opinion. Get involved and participate!

TRANSPARENCY & OUTLOOK
    Sometimes, it's difficult to understand why an internal restructuring is necessary or why the company is shifting focus. Team meetings and Tech on Tap (an internal group that meets weekly) are useful to get a sense of company priorities and goals.

---

Advice to new (and existing) employees to avoid these cons:
    - Don't be afraid to speak up if you think something can be done better or more efficiently in a different way.
    - Speak up if you want to try or learn something new that will benefit the company.
    - Attend company events and meetings to learn more about what other people in the company do, how you can work together, where the company stands, and where it's going.

Advice to Management

- Keep treating your loyal employees well and invest in them.
    - Train your managers and set detailed expectations. These people have a great impact on morale and standards for the rest of their team.
    - Continue to make strides in encouraging open communication and transparency throughout the company.

4. "Great opportunity for freshers!"

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good learning opportunities - learn as much as you can
    - Amazing & Brightest talent to work with
    - BB take care of all employees very well
    - Get an opportunity to work with famous and big clients

Cons

- Especially in my team when I was working at BB, It used to get political to choose right person to lead the project by manager.

Advice to Management

- Make BB what it used to be in 2011-12!

"Business Indirection"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people
    - Great learning opportunities

Cons

- Company always choose the loudest idea
    - If you aren’t in the main clique, you are on the outside looking in
    - Business changes direction whenever rain falls from the sky.
    - Product team makes decisions for delivery team.
    - Constantly oversells the product (that is nonexistent) and makes delivery team make up for it. This results in unrealistic deadlines that end up being met by having to intentially create technical debt. If you are looking for a place to make sound architectural decision or design award winning apps, look elsewhere.
    - Pay their group well. If you are getting an offer expect a low ball offer, regardless of their demand for the position.
    - Annual to semi-annual layoffs.

Advice to Management

Strong people in the org, listen to everyone and not just a select few. New ideas breed innovation. Constantly listening to the “yes man” group around you will leave you in the same spot every year.

"Great Coworkers but Dishonest Leadership"

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Tech stack is good, co-workers are talented and cool in general.
    * You learn a lot of things from them.

Cons

* Leadership team is dishonest. They said that there wouldn't be layoffs but after a couple of months they laid off lots of talented engineers but spent tons of money on free lunch and company parties
    * NO transparency from upper management
    * No 401K Matching
    * Midlevel managers are not experienced

Advice to Management

* Be honest to employee

"Solid Opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BB gave me plenty of opportunities to grow in various directions during my time at the company. I'm appreciative of these opportunities because I was able to fine-tune my exposure to different roles. BB always supported me switching roles if I was not happy with my current direction.

Here are some other random pros:
    - dogs at the office
    - flexible work schedule
    - work from home permitted
    - parties, discounts on various restaurants, etc...
    - the people! you'll always find some stinkers at any company, but for the most part I really enjoyed the people I worked with at BB. I also managed to form a lot of strong bonds, both personally and professionally, with the employees of BB.

Cons

Lack of leadership was a systemic problem at BB since I began at the company in 2012. I don't think my "manager" at the time spoke to me for the first couple of days after I started (not necessarily a huge deal, just highlighting the fact that it was an issue from the start). Leadership issues seemed to be an issue from the middle management level all the way up to the C level executives. During my time at BB, I only ever had 1 manager that significantly impacted my work life in positive ways. The other managers (4 total) never seemed to have time to really engage with me, my career, or the initiatives I'd try to push for the sake of company. My managers were always being pushed too hard from above and as a result failed to make time for their employees. As a manager and leader myself, this made it hard to enact change for myself, my employees, and the company.

Lack of leadership support made my life a lot harder at BB. Pushing process changes through without real assistance from above made everything move very slow with some initiatives dying shortly after launch. I also struggled with my own career path and it would have been nice to have a manager to help guide me through some mirky waters.

Advice to Management

Invest in strong leaders and managers - without that core foundation of a team, everything will crumble.

"Great job"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks and freedom. Challenging but rewarding. Great benefits. You can bring your dog to work.

Cons

Not much structure. Constantly changing technologies used. Lack of consistency.

"Typical startup woes"

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches, casual dress code, most of the people there are awesome to work and hang out with

Cons

Dogs, Cliques, Mandatory Fun, Layoffs. No chance to get ahead because if you try to do something new, you're always accused of stepping on people's toes.

Advice to Management

Spend less on frivolous things, such as buying neon signs and basketball hoops just days after laying off dozens of people.

"Love my coworkers!"

Pros

I look forward to going to work every day because of the people I get to see. Even when we're in a crunch, I know I can always rely on my coworkers to band together and get things done because we're all committed to helping each other out. My favorite part about projects is getting closer to the project team. I've made amazing friends here!

Cons

I wish we got 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great employees. Reward them so they stay.