Branding Brand Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Mason

Pros
  • Free lunches 4 days of the week (in 14 reviews)

• Yes you can bring your dog, or have lunch on BB, but the real pro of my job is that I enjoy coming to work each morning (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced, ever changing workflow in a rapidly evolving industry (in 4 reviews)

• No one is going to feed you with a golden spoon- I always feel like I am trying to prove myself (in 4 reviews)

"Solid Opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BB gave me plenty of opportunities to grow in various directions during my time at the company. I'm appreciative of these opportunities because I was able to fine-tune my exposure to different roles. BB always supported me switching roles if I was not happy with my current direction.

Here are some other random pros:
    - dogs at the office
    - flexible work schedule
    - work from home permitted
    - parties, discounts on various restaurants, etc...
    - the people! you'll always find some stinkers at any company, but for the most part I really enjoyed the people I worked with at BB. I also managed to form a lot of strong bonds, both personally and professionally, with the employees of BB.

Cons

Lack of leadership was a systemic problem at BB since I began at the company in 2012. I don't think my "manager" at the time spoke to me for the first couple of days after I started (not necessarily a huge deal, just highlighting the fact that it was an issue from the start). Leadership issues seemed to be an issue from the middle management level all the way up to the C level executives. During my time at BB, I only ever had 1 manager that significantly impacted my work life in positive ways. The other managers (4 total) never seemed to have time to really engage with me, my career, or the initiatives I'd try to push for the sake of company. My managers were always being pushed too hard from above and as a result failed to make time for their employees. As a manager and leader myself, this made it hard to enact change for myself, my employees, and the company.

Lack of leadership support made my life a lot harder at BB. Pushing process changes through without real assistance from above made everything move very slow with some initiatives dying shortly after launch. I also struggled with my own career path and it would have been nice to have a manager to help guide me through some mirky waters.

Advice to Management

Invest in strong leaders and managers - without that core foundation of a team, everything will crumble.

2. "Great job"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks and freedom. Challenging but rewarding. Great benefits. You can bring your dog to work.

Cons

Not much structure. Constantly changing technologies used. Lack of consistency.

"Typical startup woes"

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches, casual dress code, most of the people there are awesome to work and hang out with

Cons

Dogs, Cliques, Mandatory Fun, Layoffs. No chance to get ahead because if you try to do something new, you're always accused of stepping on people's toes.

Advice to Management

Spend less on frivolous things, such as buying neon signs and basketball hoops just days after laying off dozens of people.

"There's no place I'd rather be"

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Everyone always mentions the catered lunches, dog friendly work environment, free parking, etc, but one of my favorite perks is simply the Branding Brand work environment and culture. At BB, you’re not forced to sit at cubicle from 9-5 with a half hour lunch if you’re lucky. You don’t have to “punch a clock” or wear uncomfortable business attire every day. Employees can listen to music, talk to coworkers (which is frowned upon in some corporate offices where you can actually hear a pin drop) and essentially have the freedom to make your work space conform to your standards. Want a stand up desk? Go for it. Want to relax on a giant bean bag because you feel like it? Sure. We also have a space downstairs with those weird cubicles if you’re having a hard time adjusting to an open work space. I personally feel like I work so much more efficiently when I’m comfortable in my workspace. Also, I was hesitant to a leave a corporate job for Branding Brand because I wasn't really sure what I was getting into, but I have ZERO regrets. I still have great benefits, I still have job security, and I am even being challenged more than I was at my old company.

I am surrounded by really great people who are all passionate about the work we do. Branding Brand has become so much more than a just job for me..my team has truly become my family. My days at Branding Brand honestly fly by because I am so busy, but it's a good busy. My work days are always different and I feel like I am always learning something new.

Cons

Since I was initially hired, my role has changed (you have to be willing to wear many hats and you have to always be open to learn new things otherwise you’ll fall behind). The training aspect of both positions wasn't as efficient as I would've liked. Yes, coworkers are always available and willing to help at Branding Brand, but the initial training for the departments I’ve been part of needs some attention. Even now, some days it’s like a scavenger hunt to try to find information I need, but it keeps me on my toes. It also forces me to become familiar with everyone's role and to learn how the company operates as a whole.

No one is going to feed you with a golden spoon- I always feel like I am trying to prove myself. You have to work hard, everyday, or you’ll definitely fall through the cracks. I would imagine it is like this with any company, but at Branding Brand where things constantly change to keep up with evolving technology you need to be eager and aggressive. You have to WANT to keep up and you have to WANT to be a part of the change and growth.

Advice to Management

We are always going to need internal liaison between the departments. Communication between the departments can sometimes be difficult, but it is improving. Also, as I mentioned, we are continuously evolving to keep up with technology and other competitors, so organization is key. Employees are always going to look to you for strategic plans and continued support (which is 100% necessary) in addition to the new ideas that we are expected to pitch and oversee from start to finish. This is a great company to be a part of and most employees here are willing to put in great amounts of effort, so take advantage of the fact that you have hungry employees who are extremely dedicated and willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.

"Your next job will suck"

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Branding Brand full-time

Pros

Great place to learn the ropes, meet like minded individuals and be introduced to the workforce coming out of college. There are good benefits and it is great to be part of a company based in Pittsburgh, rather than another Silicon Valley company using the city for cheaper talent.

Cons

Healthcare package could be better. Issues of corporate communication. Also, a lot of negative people that just never had a sucky job, spending too much time at coffee shops and somehow forgetting that they need to move on!

Advice to Management

Better benefits, training and accountability.

"Hardworking and dedicated employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Branding Brand (Less than a year)

Pros

Yes you can bring your dog, or have lunch on BB, but the real pro of my job is that I enjoy coming to work each morning. The team I work with is hardworking and dedicated. We all take pride in our work and want the best for Branding Brand. When that culture is prevalent, then it shows in the team and the products it sells. There has never been any embezzlement or stealing from former employees. I don't know why some former employees continue to vent negativity, they should just move on.

Cons

Communication and streamlining processes between departments is improving, but can get better. Its very fast paced and deadlines come out of nowhere, so if you want a job that you do the same duties day in and day out, this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Being open and transparent is a good way of getting everyone on board. Continue to do this with good or bad news. We are all in this together.

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The teams-- they wereamazing. Almost all of the people I worked with were wonderful-- smart, education, dedicated, compassionate, motivated and motivating. They worked together and it showed because they did good work.

The free food and beer were also good, but they were there to distract employees from awful everything else.

Cons

Oh where to begin... management, leadership, workload, expectations, technology, career path, honesty... I could go on.

First, let's start with this: they hired too many people to do the work, laid them off, and then had too few. This cycle repeated itself THREE TIMES in the 1.5 years that I was there. The team I worked on had 5 clients-- 3 of the 5 paid for 5 full-time dedicated employees. The other two paid for a half time developer, and quarter time QA and project management. My team had 5 people. Total (3 dev, 1 QA, 1 PM). The math just doesn't seem to add up there, does it?

A lot of the worker bees complained about mid and senior level management and HR did nothing about it. They said that they felt abused and taken advantage of and asked to lie to both other teams internally and to clients. And still nothing changed.

When concerns over delivery date or client expectations were raised to my boss, he said he'd take care of it and didn't... just lied to his boss (the COO). He spent all of his time brown nosing and none caring about his teams. On two different occasions I had clients actually YELL at him for promising work could be done in an unreasonable timeframe. My boss did nothing other than fumble over his words.

Another member of my team was consistently working 90+ hour weeks. She was promised full time to I think 3 clients and she lost it (not on the client). In front of me and the rest of our team, our boss threatened to fire her even though her clients loved her.

Bottom line for me is this: the management doesn't care about its employees, only its reputation locally and its client list.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch and get back to your roots. People will trust you if you trust them. You know a sycophant when you see one; don't keep them around because they're toxic. (Also, when you see almost 100% turnover under one person in less than a year, fire that person.

The work hard, play hard mentality is wonderful, but you can reward people like they're adults and not college seniors. They'd appreciate actual thanks and maybe a bit of overtime in the busy season.

"Inside view on a great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Branding Brand full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is awesome. I really wish the vocal minority would grow up and move on, but unfortunately, the internet and trolls seem to go hand in hand. Get another job and see how lucky you are.....or don't and continue spending all your time writing online reviews. Seriously though, I love that Branding Brand is taking a harder stance on enforcing excellence. If you don't work hard and push yourself to keep growing, you will get weeded out. The company itself has been doing a lot of growing up, but it's been worth it. I think we're better off now than where we were two years ago, and it feels like all the pieces are finally coming together.

Cons

Ex-employee trolls who have nothing better to do than cyberbully, and people who blame others for their inability to make a difference. At times, it feels like a stereotypical software company where other employees don't feel the need to make eye contact or say hi, but being in technology is not an excuse to be rude.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your senior and middle level management. One person can't and shouldn't be expected to do it all, so the more qualified people you enable and delegate responsibility to the better. Let them help spread your passion.

"It's not Google, but it's not bad either"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Branding Brand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'll preface my review by saying that before coming to Branding Brand, I worked in a typical corporate office environment so I am aware that the grass is NOT greener on the other side. If we were in Silicon Valley, there would be plenty of other options, but in Pittsburgh, there are very few venture-backed young companies with the types of perks that Branding Brand offers. The perks that make the company unique in the area are free parking, free lunches, free soda, free beer, cheap health insurance, dogs in the office, pool table/cornhole/PS4, great office parties, and more. There are lots of young people here who strive to make an impact and I legitimately enjoy coming into work. The culture/morale has taken a hit due to recent reductions in headcount, but I think it's on the upswing. The company has always been flexible and understanding with its employees. The people that work hard and make a difference are rewarded.

Cons

Upper management has changed the structure of the business a few times in the past couple of years which makes things difficult if you're not able to adapt to change. Personally, it keeps me on my toes as my role evolves over time. The competitive landscape has changed and our leaders have been unable thus far to fine a new niche for Branding Brand. We have too many non-technical leaders that don't seem to be able to add enough value to offset their presumably high salaries.

Advice to Management

Find a profitable niche so we can move forward now that we have rightsized. Focus on lead generation so that we can get new clients on board. New clients make employees happy and expand our reach as a company. Spend quality time in the office and mingling with your employees. Get people excited about Branding Brand again.

"Great Work Environment / Good People / Lots of Employee Freedom"

Current Employee - Brander in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Brander in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Environment :

I have been an employee of BB for close to 5 years and without a doubt this has been one of the greatest work environments I have ever been a part of. Between the free lunches provided, beautiful artwork that surrounds all of the office walls and the openness in work space I am not sure there is a better office in the city. I can completely understand that there are people in this world who look to be buried in an office to surround themselves by mountains of “false busy work”, but this is simply not that type of place. It is a place where creativity and legitimate thought leadership are encouraged on all aspects.

People:

Like many companies, BB has gone through some evolutionary changes that have allowed it to nurture the most committed and open-minded employees. Ironically, through this growth many of the original hires from four plus years ago are still here and matriculating into positions of leadership. Do not get me wrong, as with all companies there have been both “good and bad apples” over the years, but those that have remained are here because we care about working in an industry that’s constantly changing and working to be in the front of those changes.

Employee Freedoms:

If you like having the ability to have input on certain business strategies, while working in a non-super bureaucratic environment than BB is your place. What I have found over the years is that some people do not have the maturity and intestinal fortitude to independently work with a few end goals in mind. Because our industry is changing so rapidly, adjustments to process are inevitably going to happen and I feel that management and ownership recognize this and allow employees to have input on how to “steer the ship”. This sort of employee freedom comes with the exchange of not having multiple layers of traditional middle management, but I for one am ok with that.

Cons

By in large there are not many CONS I can say because whether a person is fresh out of college or someone with some experience under their belt, there are ways to find a comfortable and motivating position at BB. Additional (vested) stock options for veteran employees would be nice considering many of us have been around for most of the company growth and changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as transparent as possible with the masses while continuing to include trusted and respected veteran employees with company impacting decisions.