Branding Brand Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Chris Mason

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunches 4 days of the week (in 14 reviews)

• Yes you can bring your dog, or have lunch on BB, but the real pro of my job is that I enjoy coming to work each morning (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced, ever changing workflow in a rapidly evolving industry (in 4 reviews)

• There are attempts to rebuild it, but no one trusts the current upper management (in 4 reviews)

"Solid Opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BB gave me plenty of opportunities to grow in various directions during my time at the company. I'm appreciative of these opportunities because I was able to fine-tune my exposure to different roles. BB always supported me switching roles if I was not happy with my current direction.

Here are some other random pros:
    - dogs at the office
    - flexible work schedule
    - work from home permitted
    - parties, discounts on various restaurants, etc...
    - the people! you'll always find some stinkers at any company, but for the most part I really enjoyed the people I worked with at BB. I also managed to form a lot of strong bonds, both personally and professionally, with the employees of BB.

Cons

Lack of leadership was a systemic problem at BB since I began at the company in 2012. I don't think my "manager" at the time spoke to me for the first couple of days after I started (not necessarily a huge deal, just highlighting the fact that it was an issue from the start). Leadership issues seemed to be an issue from the middle management level all the way up to the C level executives. During my time at BB, I only ever had 1 manager that significantly impacted my work life in positive ways. The other managers (4 total) never seemed to have time to really engage with me, my career, or the initiatives I'd try to push for the sake of company. My managers were always being pushed too hard from above and as a result failed to make time for their employees. As a manager and leader myself, this made it hard to enact change for myself, my employees, and the company.

Lack of leadership support made my life a lot harder at BB. Pushing process changes through without real assistance from above made everything move very slow with some initiatives dying shortly after launch. I also struggled with my own career path and it would have been nice to have a manager to help guide me through some mirky waters.

Advice to Management

Invest in strong leaders and managers - without that core foundation of a team, everything will crumble.

"Great Coworkers but Dishonest Leadership"

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Tech stack is good, co-workers are talented and cool in general.
    * You learn a lot of things from them.

Cons

* Leadership team is dishonest. They said that there wouldn't be layoffs but after a couple of months they laid off lots of talented engineers but spent tons of money on free lunch and company parties
    * NO transparency from upper management
    * No 401K Matching
    * Midlevel managers are not experienced

Advice to Management

* Be honest to employee

3. "Great job"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks and freedom. Challenging but rewarding. Great benefits. You can bring your dog to work.

Cons

Not much structure. Constantly changing technologies used. Lack of consistency.

"Love my coworkers!"

Pros

I look forward to going to work every day because of the people I get to see. Even when we're in a crunch, I know I can always rely on my coworkers to band together and get things done because we're all committed to helping each other out. My favorite part about projects is getting closer to the project team. I've made amazing friends here!

Cons

I wish we got 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great employees. Reward them so they stay.

"Typical startup woes"

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Branding Brand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches, casual dress code, most of the people there are awesome to work and hang out with

Cons

Dogs, Cliques, Mandatory Fun, Layoffs. No chance to get ahead because if you try to do something new, you're always accused of stepping on people's toes.

Advice to Management

Spend less on frivolous things, such as buying neon signs and basketball hoops just days after laying off dozens of people.

"STILL a great place to work"

Pros

Typical items that have been listed in other reviews--those are all true

Seeing work in real life and knowing you create something meaningful/worth-while

The people at BB genuinely want to be here. Intelligent and inspiring to be around.

Cons

Career development could be improved, I think it would helpful to see where my personal growth could be down the line.

Advice to Management

Keep the pressure on! I'm seeing a very big 2017 for us.

"Best Job in Pittsburgh"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Branding Brand full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work with a great group of people who are intelligent and hardworking, but are also people that you want to talk to outside of work. The office is pretty close knit and everyone is willing to help each other out. The work is challenging and I’ve learned so much since I first started. The work environment is definitely one of my favorite things about BB. I love the open work spaces and relaxed dress code. My last job was at a large corporation with thousands of employees and managers who didn’t even know that I worked there. At Branding Brand you have the opportunity to stand out and be a leader if you want to work hard.

Cons

The complainers. The few people who are constantly complaining and playing the blame game are people who have never worked anywhere else and don’t know how good they have it at Branding Brand. It’s frustrating to be around people who constantly negative.
    Training could definitely be improved. There’s no formal training process and it took me a while to really get into the swing of things here.

Advice to Management

As others have said, better communication and transparency.

"There's no place I'd rather be"

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Everyone always mentions the catered lunches, dog friendly work environment, free parking, etc, but one of my favorite perks is simply the Branding Brand work environment and culture. At BB, you’re not forced to sit at cubicle from 9-5 with a half hour lunch if you’re lucky. You don’t have to “punch a clock” or wear uncomfortable business attire every day. Employees can listen to music, talk to coworkers (which is frowned upon in some corporate offices where you can actually hear a pin drop) and essentially have the freedom to make your work space conform to your standards. Want a stand up desk? Go for it. Want to relax on a giant bean bag because you feel like it? Sure. We also have a space downstairs with those weird cubicles if you’re having a hard time adjusting to an open work space. I personally feel like I work so much more efficiently when I’m comfortable in my workspace. Also, I was hesitant to a leave a corporate job for Branding Brand because I wasn't really sure what I was getting into, but I have ZERO regrets. I still have great benefits, I still have job security, and I am even being challenged more than I was at my old company.

I am surrounded by really great people who are all passionate about the work we do. Branding Brand has become so much more than a just job for me..my team has truly become my family. My days at Branding Brand honestly fly by because I am so busy, but it's a good busy. My work days are always different and I feel like I am always learning something new.

Cons

Since I was initially hired, my role has changed (you have to be willing to wear many hats and you have to always be open to learn new things otherwise you’ll fall behind). The training aspect of both positions wasn't as efficient as I would've liked. Yes, coworkers are always available and willing to help at Branding Brand, but the initial training for the departments I’ve been part of needs some attention. Even now, some days it’s like a scavenger hunt to try to find information I need, but it keeps me on my toes. It also forces me to become familiar with everyone's role and to learn how the company operates as a whole.

No one is going to feed you with a golden spoon- I always feel like I am trying to prove myself. You have to work hard, everyday, or you’ll definitely fall through the cracks. I would imagine it is like this with any company, but at Branding Brand where things constantly change to keep up with evolving technology you need to be eager and aggressive. You have to WANT to keep up and you have to WANT to be a part of the change and growth.

Advice to Management

We are always going to need internal liaison between the departments. Communication between the departments can sometimes be difficult, but it is improving. Also, as I mentioned, we are continuously evolving to keep up with technology and other competitors, so organization is key. Employees are always going to look to you for strategic plans and continued support (which is 100% necessary) in addition to the new ideas that we are expected to pitch and oversee from start to finish. This is a great company to be a part of and most employees here are willing to put in great amounts of effort, so take advantage of the fact that you have hungry employees who are extremely dedicated and willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.

"Work hard, play hard is the name of the game!"

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Specialist

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Fun environment
    Dog Friendly
    Great place to learn
    Great place to feel empowered
    Team oriented
    Fun work outings and events
    No defined career path

Cons

Long hours/days
    Lacks structure
    Sometimes too relaxed
    Hard work not always rewarded or recognized
    No defined career path
    No formal training

Advice to Management

Always reward and recognize excellent talent!

"The Perks of Being a Brander"

I have been working at Branding Brand full-time

Pros

There are lots of office perks like free lunches, games, and parking. But that’s pretty standard in this space. The real perk is the people who work their butts off. The ones that are up for a challenge, take initiative, and feel ownership in improving the company themselves, rather than expecting the company to somehow change (thanks to someone else?) if they complain hard enough. Leaders (not necessarily managers) have seized opportunities to start clubs and committees (Scotch Club, Book Club, Branders Action Committee, etc), create training programs (from dev to project management), and plan events (from networking events to parties). Many Branders who have been here since the beginning are still here because of entrepreneurial chances like these.

Cons

Sure, it feels like family, but sometimes people leave for new opportunities to learn more about themselves. It doesn’t mean the company is going to fall apart, but some panic like it does. We’ve always been able to do a lot with less here, because of the people who work hard and play hard.

Advice to Management

Remember to show appreciation. Focus on our collective strengths toward a steady vision.