Breakthrough Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Director IT"

Former Employee - Director in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Evanston, IL

I worked at Breakthrough Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative AGILE software development shop

Cons

Limited market opportunities and no marketing team in place

2. "Worker"

I have been working at Breakthrough Technologies full-time

Pros

Lots of potential, lets hope for the best.

Cons

lack of communication. Have to find your own info.

3. "Lack of Adaptability"

I worked at Breakthrough Technologies full-time

Pros

The User Experience Team back in 2015 was the only thing promising for the company's future, but the founders eventually disbanded and discontinued it in 2017.

Cons

Upper management and the owners are extremely stubborn when it comes to senior staff or employee suggestions on how to improve the company. Lots of turnover and lack of hierarchy. Lack of trust in BT's employees (One of the owners would attend client meetings and tell our clients their idea were essentially bad, and offer his insight, which always resulted in client dissatisfaction). Lot of our budgeting when it came to design was severely low. There was also potential for Breakthrough to create their own digital products for the education market, which could have helped elevate their company's brand, but owners scraped those ideas deeming them unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, Adapt to the needs of people and your clients, it's ok if you aren't an expert at UX or Design, hire those who are because they will double your ROI. Stay relevant on the latest tech trends. Focus your markets in area that make you profit instead of just sticking with what you know. Stop over-promising and creating unrealistic expectations. Hire experts over friends, or if you hire people close to you, hire those who are experts and are willing to work with the rest of the Breakthrough team, instead of against them.

4. "Don't work here unless you don't need your job to pay the bills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Breakthrough Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can not think of any.

Cons

Management practices from the stone age. Supposedly "Agile" environment that really isn't (most of upper management does not even understand Agile). No follow through on anything. Purely reactionary management. Quarterly layoff mentality. That is fine if you are 25 years old with no family.

Advice to Management

Verify sales you have been told you have before hiring.

"Do Not Work Here"

I worked at Breakthrough Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people when thinking of them outside of work. I would work here if a developer as you don't have feet to the fire and non-pressure environment. Benefits are good and they really do care about you as individuals.

Cons

No products, focus, direction (all other reviews are correct). No business planning, adaptability, hiring skills, leadership. Have zero sense of sales, respect for commissions and no ability to empower sales. World has passed them by, they know it and still too stubborn to change. Directors and VPs are horrific leaders and all of them blame clients for failures. They get sued constantly.

Advice to Management

Its one of those deals where they have spent almost 20 years making a living but too stubborn to see they have missed out on 5x. Fire the long time directors, even if you like them personally, because they are terrible. They literally lose you money and will cost many others jobs. One of the owners is a good leader and the other has head in the clouds telling clients how he knows best, instead of responding to what they are actually asking for.

"What an awful experience. Feel misled and betrayed."

I worked at Breakthrough Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to share here. Would give fractions of a star if I could.

Cons

Was recruited by them from a job I liked (I wasn't looking for a new job, they found me via linkedin and pursued me). During interview I now feel like some things were left out. Asked one of the interviewers (one of the owners) about future of company and where it was going and now feel like some things were left out of the responses that should've been put on the table up front in order to make a better informed decision.
    Accepted the job and was there for a month and was let go due to revenues not being able to support bringing me on afterall. I left a good job to take a job that was sold to me as being a bright future. I now find myself jobless with a family to support.
    I would think twice and ask a LOT of questions before accepting anything with this company. In the short time I was there I learned that there aren't many people there with over 2-3 years with them. Doesn't seem to be a place where people are happy enough to go and stay for any length of time.

Advice to Management

Please be honest with people. If you're going to bring people on, make sure the revenue is there to support that. Those people have families to support too.

7. "Well-Intentioned, Might Be Onto Something"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Breakthrough Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

A good crew of thoughtful, quality-focused engineers. Emphasis on tech.

Cons

Needs focus, sink or swim environment, limited training and can be hard to feel welcome.

Advice to Management

Delegate to trusted, experienced others.

"Good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

The owners are hard working and really care about employees. Great work-life balance. Generally supportive atmosphere. Clients are mostly education, non-profits, and associations.

Cons

Owners are old school and slow to adopt change. Some managers are disruptive. No definite mission or product, they are not very discriminating about the types of work they'll accept.

Advice to Management

Get a company strategy and mission instead of just accepting pretty much everything that comes your way.

9. "Software Engineer"

Pros

Nice company to work on.

Cons

I cannot think of negative points

10. "President"

Current Employee - Consultant in Prior Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Prior Lake, MN

I have been working at Breakthrough Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, It is my company

Cons

No downsides, I developed it

Advice to Management

Do what you are doing