Brentwood Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Rye

1. "Another opinion.....maybe worth listening to"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

I have been working at Brentwood Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brentwood is a great place to work. The work is challenging, I like my co-workers, we work hard but we have fun and I like being a part of committees for the community volunteer opportunities and for the committee to have fun events at work.

Cons

Some people just don't get it. Just because you are at Brentwood longer doesn't mean you are "entitled" to anymore than anyone else. We are all treated equal but some don't want it that way. They would rather whine about 24 days of PTO because they are jealous that newer employees get 24 days of PTO like them - sounds like jealousy to me. There are lots of great people working at Brentwood - at all locations and in all departments - and the whiners just make us look bad.

Advice to Management

Set your strategic plan and communicate it to all early. Use the tools that you have developed and rolled out. Hold people accountable and PLEASE get rid of the people that just won't engage in this great company.

"Displeasant, frustrating and bad smelling"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Reading, PA

I worked at Brentwood Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, somewhat clean environment, half decent pay, helpful co workers, nice breakroom, clean bathrooms.

Cons

Bad smell of melting plastic, pedantically over driven employees, inflexible management.

Advice to Management

When emoyees are expected to run many machine at once, learn to delegate wisely and not push people harshly! Mandatory overtime is a farce intermingled with your no smoking on your property even in your vehicle policy!

"825"

Current Employee - Scared in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Scared in Reading, PA

I have been working at Brentwood Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We get a pay check

Cons

Claims to be family oriented,but have the most screwed up hours. No time. For a life. Don't see manager s working OT.
    Point system made to fire for Heath reasons. Management is lost. 1% raise does not mean 100% work load increase without the tools.

Advice to Management

Your good help is leaving, wake up and stop stealing our vacation time.

"Could be great!"

I have been working at Brentwood Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong family-owned business in Reading PA with owners would invest in the business instead of pulling money out. Even hourly employees do not lose jobs during times of slow business and all employees still receive 24 days of paid time off. New employees are bringing new ideas on how to move the business forward and reinvent itself.

Cons

Too many long term employees that try VERY HARD to protect their turf and disrespect others instead of moving business forward. Everyone in Reading including the operators sees it and everyone knows who cares and who doesn't. We are tired of hearing the negativity and unwillingness to change from our managers and especially our directors.

Advice to Management

You taught us about the "no nos" so get rid of the dead wood and disengaged employees before they damage the business. We want to change to move this business forward!

"No clue"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

Pros

People are huge assets and a pleasure to work with. Free coffee and water.

Cons

Great employees have left or will be leaving. HR has clearly stated, if you don't like it, leave, so they are. If you stay more than 2 years, you will be considered dead wood. Experience is walking, which hurts the company significantly. Extreme drug testing is very invasive and pto plan is only good for new employees, so don't stay more than a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Stop making people feel threatened, reduce the number of HR and marketing positions.

"HR doesn't have a clue"

Current Employee - Manager in Spring Ridge, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Spring Ridge, PA

I have been working at Brentwood Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company history, strong niche market, mostly stable employment, really talented production workers, committed to Reading PA

Cons

In all my years here there's never been so much turnover in the hr function than there has been in the last 2 years or so. I don't know how they can solve the problems people are having when even the hr people either quit or get fired soon after being hired. What does that say about the rest of the company? How can it be all about the people when hr can't get it's act together? Not just in Reading- all across the different plants, the HR people have been a revolving door. It can't be a coincidence. The new performance appraisals system they tried to implement went up in smoke. Several of us mid level people were actually excited about finally having a meaningful way to show our skills and contribution and actually feel like we have a future here, but it just died like all the other initiatives. Now it's just back to being a dead end. No opportunities for you unless you're a high school or college kid looking for an internship or entry level job.

Advice to Management

Someone please take a good, hard look at HR and figure out what's happening there. Something isn't right when so many people have come and gone through that department in a short time. That's the department that you're relying on to build a strong, relatively satisfied workforce. If it ain't right in HR, it ain't gonna be right anywhere else in the company. Give mid-career people the same opportunities as younger people. Outwardly it looks like you're kind of bordering on preferential employment and promotion practices based on age. Don't let the company go this way... I and others want to continue working here, but the company isn't making it a friendly, appreciative, fulfilling place any more.

"The Old Brentwood was a great place to work. Not so good now."

Current Employee - Manager in Reading, PA

I have been working at Brentwood Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people. They work as a team and mean well. They do a lot of positive things for the employees. Was a great atmosphere. Family oriented. Now its hostile and stressful.

Cons

The new generation of young inexperienced managers are killing the business and employee moral. Young inexperienced managers or family being put in roles they are not ready for. They need to learn business and how to treat people. Work your way up. Very stressful atmosphere. Treat people rudely and they are condescending. It's more about appearances than running a business. Young fools that think they know it all. They are growing too fast and putting people in charge that have no business being there. The new executives are as out of touch as the president. Inexperienced family members and their friends.

Advice to Management

Wake up before it's too late. Before more good, hard working, loyal people leave.

"Long term survival of Brentwood is doubtful"

I have been working at Brentwood Industries full-time

Pros

Good environment for recent grads for exposure to high volumes of varied work. A few wonderfully talented and genuine people remain, though are considered endangered species.

Cons

Second & third generation now run this "family" business, and nepotism runs rampant at the managerial level. Decision making power rests solely in the hands of a few people whose recent questionable decisions are now negatively impacting the health and prospects for survival of the company. Many talented individuals have either left or been forced out. A noticeable shift from the founder's relational managerial style to a cold and sometimes mean spirited style.

Advice to Management

Either step away from active involvement and bring in non family members to manage and run the business, or face the inevitable reality and sell the business before the value diminishes and further.

"poor management,sexual harrassment is a big problem there"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Warren, OH

I worked at Brentwood Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some of the older employees willing to teach the new people and help whenever needed, Made you feel welcome there.

Cons

To much turnover there, meaning to many temps getting hired in . then let go. They had some amazing people there but they wouldn't have known it...

Advice to Management

Get to know who you hire in!!!!!

10. "Machine operator"

Former Employee - Calander Operator in Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Calander Operator in Lebanon, PA

I worked at Brentwood Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great here and its a good team atmosphere. Pay was fair for the role. Health and 401k packages are great.

Cons

At the lebanon pa plant (at the time) the calander lines are (were) very outdated machinery. Not sure how it is now as they were updating (slowly ) when i left the company but this sometimes made the job pretty difficult as there were breakdowns/malfunctions often.

Advice to Management

No real cons here..