Brewer Attorneys & Counselors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
William A. Brewer III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"You get what you give."

I have been working at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time

Pros

Mostly a great group of people to work with and interesting subject matter. Hard work is rewarded handsomely.

Cons

A few bad apples threaten to spoil the bunch...but they are being weeded out so the bright ones can shine.

2. "High upside for top performers"

I have been working at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time

Pros

High variance, high potential reward. Brewer, during a period of management transition, has generated more disgruntled fired employees than you might see from a mainstream firm. However, if you do well, you're compensated in excess of Cravath "market" and can make partner earlier than biglaw allows.

The firm's biggest, best cases are the biggest and best you'll find anywhere, and you'll get to work on them in a small-firm environment. The firm continues to attract clients other firms would kill for, and continues to win cases other firms would lose. (Skeptical of that hype? Talk to Quinn Emanuel.)

This firm does not have lockstep bonuses, "work-life balance" (as Career Services pamphlets articulate it), or white shoe gentility. But it does boast some of the most talented lawyers around -- something that even the one-star reviews concede. And that isn't just a platitude. Even if you're accustomed to being the smartest person in the room, you won't be, here.

Cons

The firm is remaking itself. This process isn't always 100% smooth, but the overall trajectory is strong.

"Associate"

Pros

Working long hours makes you close to the other people slaving away.

Cons

Working long hours gives you no time for anything else.

Advice to Management

I don't know how you think that attorneys are even able to THINK after 10-12 hours. The hours are ridiculous. Bill Brewer is such a narcissist that nothing will ever change.

"Top talent with good work product"

Pros

Work with numerous intelligent people

Cons

Don't always deal with stress in the best way

"It’s not so bad ..."

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My bonus was twice as much as many other Associates’

Cons

My bonus was a $20 starbucks card

Advice to Management

Maybe Dunkin’ Donuts next year?

"A deranged elementary school"

Current Employee - Deputy Chief of Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Deputy Chief of Staff in Dallas, TX

Pros

The free flavored seltzer waters. Was that five words?

Cons

My bonus this year was a $10 Starbucks gift card.

Advice to Management

Your “all stick no carrot” approach to management has created a toxic work environment. This causes employees to become depressed and lose their drive to succeed. The work suffers and clients leave. Stop treating grown adults like children. Don’t just take it from me- take it from any book out there on successful management.

"Great for your resume - terrible for your life"

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn a lot in a short time. Mostly how NOT to practice law.

Cons

Lack of concern for employees, even long-term employees. Compete failure to acknowledge retiring employee's contributions. Failure to provide any positive feedback to employees. Failure to acknowledge individual contributions to team or organization. Extremely negative atmosphere. Bullying. Divisiveness. Demeaning. Condescending. Disrespectful. Inconsiderate. Extreme micromanagement. Unethical.

Advice to Management

Get people that actually know the LAW, have more than 6 months experience and have REAL trial experience. Hire managerial personnel that are old enough to know how to effectively deal with people and have extensive, real life experience working in an office. You know who your problem people are - either deal with them, or get rid of them if they can't change. When allegations are leveled, talk to the accused and try to find out the TRUTH instead of believing the accuser, especially if it is the one who has repeatedly been proven to be a bully, a fraud and major cause of disruption in your office. Remember the phrase "innocent until proven guilty"?! Have regular team meetings and allow all members to actively participate so EVERYONE knows what is going on. Treat your employees (regardless of position) as valuable players. Stop allowing people to create "busy work" - just to bill the client. Stop doing the same project over and over - just to bill the client. Provide copies of all work product, for which you have billed a client, TO the client, unless they say otherwise. Quit throwing everybody in the office on a case - just to be able to bill the client. Create a team for a case, based on the client's issues and your employees ' strengths, then leave them on the case so they know the FULL story! Don't throw someone on a case just because they aren't billing enough. Don't make your people work all hours of the day and night, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Learn how to calendar deadlines, assign the project IMMEDIATELY to two attorneys who are actively working the case, and get it done in a thorough manner - rather than waiting a couple days before, throwing 6 people on the task who know nothing about the case, and submitting sloppy, inaccurate, and incomplete work.

"Sad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the people are great. I don't need to write much because the other negative reviews cover it all.

Cons

Unfortunatly management, is incredibly unprofessional. There is a lot of turnover because of it and there is an extreme lack of trust among a lot of the workers. The environment is toxic and the only reason there are good reviews is because the same person is writing them.
    I wouldn't waste your time if you value your life.

Advice to Management

Again, listen to your people and acknowledge the fact that everyone works are hard.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associates are smart and work hard.

Cons

No bonus even though associates bill 2,500 hours a year on the low end. The negative reviews about the depressing environment are true. More stress and less money than at any big firm.

"Winning the Game"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can accomplish everything you want if you set your goals, diligently work towards achieving those goals, and don’t lose sight of who you are. Winning the game is not easy, but, believe me, it’s worth it.

If you are successful, there will always be people who try to bring you down, and if they can’t succeed on their own, they will recruit others to help. It’s very unfortunate, but that’s the nature of the beast. However, you should take it as a compliment! I know I did, and that is precisely how I was able to block the daily punches to my face! :) If you have to step on other people to get to where you are, then you don’t deserve to be there. If you feel the need to belittle others and treat them in a disrespectful manner, then you need to find a way to come to peace with who you are. I truly feel sorry that you have that much unhappiness, hatred, and insecurity in your life. Nobody should have to feel that way.

There are some amazing and talented people who currently work at the firm, and who have come and gone like I have. I will continue to be friends with most of them, and I feel very fortunate to have made those lasting relationships. For those of you who are considering employment with this firm, know that you WILL be mistreated and management WILL try to bring you down. However, your experience can be whatever you want to make it. You simply have to decide what it is that you want, and then make it happen. For me, I wanted to accomplish four main goals before moving on:

1. Jam pack as much experience as I could into a couple of years (check);
    2. Pay off my student loans (check);
    3. Have the wedding of my dreams (check); and
    4. Have six figures in investments (check)!

I was able to accomplish all of my goals before leaving the firm. Not many people in their mid-twenties are able to say the same. THAT is winning the game. So thank you, Brewer Attorneys & Counselors for helping me get ahead financially and for teaching me how NOT to run a law firm. It is just as important to learn what not to do as it is to learn how to do it right.

Cons

Everything that needs to be said regarding management’s substantial shortfalls has already been said in prior reviews. Although I will not add to the negativity, I will say that I have personal knowledge as to the truth of most of the assertions contained in those reviews, and I could contribute to the list of atrocities if I thought it would be productive. However, nothing will change and it is better to learn from it, rather than dwell on all that is wrong with the firm. So, my suggestion to all future and current professionals, staff, and investigators is to take the firm for what it is and just WIN THE GAME!

Advice to Management

1. Respect your people. You have nothing without them.
    2. Run the numbers and determine how much the unnecessarily high turnover costs you.
    3. Recognize the reasons for the unnecessarily high turnover and address those internal management problems.