Brewer Attorneys & Counselors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
William A. Brewer III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"You get what you give."

I have been working at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time

Pros

Mostly a great group of people to work with and interesting subject matter. Hard work is rewarded handsomely.

Cons

A few bad apples threaten to spoil the bunch...but they are being weeded out so the bright ones can shine.

2. "Don't work here"

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time

Pros

There are only a few good employees who work at the law firm. Literally, there are only 3 or 4 people you could actually tolerate.

Cons

Everything! Management is eager to insult you, stab you in the back, belittle you, throw you under the bus, bully you, or make your life miserable.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out of your behind

"Response?"

Pros

Once you finally escape this firm, and choose to caution others about it, the firm’s managers will likely disparage you online, further exposing their own stupidity. I consider this to be a small pro in a large sea of cons. (As an aside, “sea of cons,” is the perfect way to describe the team of nitwits who manage Brewer, Attorneys & Counselors).

Cons

I applaud the many reviewers who have shared their experiences on this site. I was particularly stricken by the reviewer who exposed a culture of harassment perpetuated by Bill Brewer. In my opinion, Bill Brewer is a deviant.

Advice to Management

I hate to break this to you, but the constitutional right to free speech is not reserved for the NRA. Like so many others, I’ve decided to exercise my right to warn others about how bad of an employer you are. I was not fired and left as soon as I could. Instead of disparaging me or any other former employee with imbecilic schoolyard taunts (“bad apples,” “obsessive exes,” “disgruntled ex-employees” and any other meaningless insults you’ve already hurled), please take stock in the overwhelmingly negative experience of the employees who work at your firm. Although each person has his or her unique reason for loathing the place, there is one common opinion shared amongst everyone who has commented here: the firm is toxic and the people who manage it are sick. None of this is normal; most firms have a close-knit alumni network (often an easy place to develop new clients). I would recommend the managers stop posting fake positive reviews and lying about their former employees online. Perhaps instead they should focus their energy on learning the law and mastering “basic adult competencies” like truthfulness, human dignity and spellcheck.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Met some good people along the way. I guess it really is true that "misery loves company." You seem to bond with other unfortunate souls while you're in the trenches. Nice offices (big deal).

Cons

If Bill Brewer was not in charge - the firm would have been a much better place to work. Hundreds and hundreds of employees came and left over the years due to his antics. Intelligent, brilliant people with nothing but the best intentions of giving their all to the firm. Horror stories. Seriously. Oh, the stories I could tell . . .

Advice to Management

I agree with the previous poster: Nobody listens, so why bother? It's "The World According to Brewer" or the highway. Fortunately, I took the highway. (I would have given the ratings below a minus star but the option wasn't available).

"The boss has spoken in that last review ....."

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few people you work with

Cons

Management, no respect, demeaning people, too much to even type it all out

Advice to Management

NO! YOU listen up... Every review here is written by different people who are tired of all the crap they’ve dealt with. There were many who were fired or had no choice but to quit. I for one, am not a disgruntled ex employee, I have never been so happy!! So my review is 100% REAL and truthful. Own up to your mistakes. Management has no clue as to what they’re doing. This place is a mad house and the few good people have to suffer. The people, with the exception of one good person, who manage the firm are all sociopaths, one in particular. She was firing people left and right for no apparent reason and hiring more lunatics like her. There isn’t a person alive who worked there who wouldn’t agree with every single review on this website. I worked there for a year and on average, 5 people would get fired A MONTH. Stop blaming it on fake Glassdoor accounts, if they were fake, Glassdoor would’ve removed them but they’re actually valid. The firm’s management posting such an unprofessional and rude response only legitimizes the other reviews they claim are fake. No other professional firm would react this way. It’s a shame to have to lower my standards and actually reply to such a stupid review, but everyone needs to know this firm is NOT the place to be and every review here are from different people with different perspectives. Impossible not to feel that way after working there.

"Rife With Demeaning Harassment"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time

Pros

There are none. Every positive thing here is posted by management or the outside marketing firm they had to hire instead of paying bonuses. It’s hilarious they tried calling themselves the top environmental litigation firm in the country when they lost their only environmental litigation client, aka got fired on the eve of trial for massive incompetence. Of course, Bill Brewer’s fragile ego couldn’t admit to being sacked so he had to pretend he’d fired the client. Sure. Because every law firm wants to axe a Fortune 50 client in order to do more low rent wills and estate work or represent the NRA and white supremacists.

Cons

Most of it has been said already, but what nobody has had the courage to mention so far is that Mr. Brewer serially sexually harasses his male employees. This isn’t meant to be a commentary on anyone’s lifestyle or orientation, but the way he takes a vulgar interest in the appearance, dress and build of his male employees and comments on it constantly is troubling, inappropriate and illegal.

First, it’s very strange that Mr. Brewer definitely has a physical type for his male employees. He likes them to be over 6’ tall, in shape and with an athletic background. He always likes to talk about playing sports with his “boys” even though a number of them were high level high school or college athletes and he seems to have flamed out as a JV tennis player in middle school. Still, that doesn’t stop him from constantly trying to discuss his physical superiority to the men in the office, to their face and behind their back.

More troubling, he constantly refers to the bodies and dress of his male employees. He notices little changes in weight and will publicly discuss them. He tells male employees to try to be more muscular and likes to discuss workout regimens constantly with them. He does the same with clothing. Always liking to essentially play dress up with his employees, telling them what to wear and how to present themselves despite the fact that he wears women’s watches and corny pinstriped suits like some 80s movie villain.

At first, it seemed to us like this was just about presenting an image, but I talked to a friend who is a forensic psychiatrist and she explained that it’s part of a grooming process performed by predators. He essentially tells his subordinates how to dress and how to look. Praises them when their physical appearance matches his ideal and mocks them when it falls short. He even rewards his favorites by taking them for shoe shines, another activity focused solely on his male employees’ look and dress.

Further, he’ll often hold meetings in his office very late at night when the employees are exhausted. At this point he’ll constantly be grooming himself, fixing his hair in mirrors and unbuttoning his shirt basically to the navel. Again, we used to think this was mere arrogance and some of us could do some pretty decent impersonations of his routine, but now that I’ve been here for awhile it’s clear it’s meant to be a seduction routine.

Mr. Brewer has never directly propositioned me and I’m not sure whether that holds true for other male employees. I do know however that he has and continues to make fairly constant observations about my clothes and physique and seems way more concerned and complimentary regarding my looks and the looks of other male employees than our work product.

This needed to be said, both to warn future potential employees, and hopefully get Mr. Brewer’s illegal and degrading behavior to stop.

Advice to Management

There is no management. The firm is run by Mr. Brewer as his own ego playground. I’d advise him to cut out the misogyny toward women and the sexual harassment toward men, but he lives in his own reality so nothing will change.

"Pitiful"

Pros

As many others have already commented, the benefit to working here is the friendships you’ll form with the few sane and intelligent folks who work at this place. You’ll also have some really funny stories about the truly bizarre cast of characters who “manage” the firm.

Cons

Among many others:
    -the hours are outrageous. This is not because there’s a lot of work to go around (indeed most of the large clients that used to keep the firm afloat have now since fired Bill Brewer). It is because you’ll spend most of your days and nights pandering to Bill, explaining basic legal concepts to him over and over again, and responding to his outrageous personal requests. The man has either lost it entirely or simply never had it to begin with (most likely, the latter).
    -you’ll report to a woman titled “Executive Director,” who is a glorified administrative assistant with no legal education or managerial chops. She is a lunatic who employs her army of secretaries to spy on the lawyers. She does this so she can plant seeds in the boss’s ear and seem valuable. This has worked for her so far because of the boss’s own ineptitude (see point 1, above). However, I’ve heard her days are numbered.
    -the compensation is subpar. Bill Brewer even wrote an article in Law360 acknowledging this (who told him that would be a good idea, by the way?! So many colleagues have forwarded it to me and noted it is the death knell for this place.)
    -the NY office is a cesspool. It’s dirty and dingy. Not exactly the type of office one would expect from a law firm operating at the “tip of the spear,” as Bill likes to say. More like the blunt end of a rusty old butter knife.
    -it’s hard to leave. The firm has a terrible reputation, so it’s tough to get interviews elsewhere. But keep persisting, and you may land up in a great spot with a lot of funny stories to tell.

Advice to Management

Consider taking a first year law course. You should know basic principles of contract law, for example. Take your ethics CLEs- over and over —and over again — until they make an impact.

"You Have No Idea What You Are Getting Into"

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pro is the pay but when you divide by the number of hours you put in, it comes out to pennies. The only real pro is that you have to get really close to your coworkers so you can cover each other's butts. Bill Brewer is ruthless and you learn to lie to protect each other. He is the epitome of a narcissistic bully.

Cons

The hours are long for no reason. You should be able to complete your work and go home. But Bill Brewer likes to work into the night and expects you to stick around in case he has one of the million corrections (most of them unnecessary) to your brief or whatever it is that needs filing. It's absolute insanity. Too many overnights for no reason. Too many meetings that start HOURS late with no word as to when it's really going to start (including weekends). The management is absolutely clueless.

Advice to Management

There is a way to run a law firm without your employees hating you. The sadistic narcissism is not the way to go. Also we know you have a marketing firm working for you and ANY positive review on here absolutely came from them. There is not a former employee who would EVER say nice things about this firm.

"High upside for top performers"

I have been working at Brewer Attorneys & Counselors full-time

Pros

High variance, high potential reward. Brewer, during a period of management transition, has generated more disgruntled fired employees than you might see from a mainstream firm. However, if you do well, you're compensated in excess of Cravath "market" and can make partner earlier than biglaw allows.

The firm's biggest, best cases are the biggest and best you'll find anywhere, and you'll get to work on them in a small-firm environment. The firm continues to attract clients other firms would kill for, and continues to win cases other firms would lose. (Skeptical of that hype? Talk to Quinn Emanuel.)

This firm does not have lockstep bonuses, "work-life balance" (as Career Services pamphlets articulate it), or white shoe gentility. But it does boast some of the most talented lawyers around -- something that even the one-star reviews concede. And that isn't just a platitude. Even if you're accustomed to being the smartest person in the room, you won't be, here.

Cons

The firm is remaking itself. This process isn't always 100% smooth, but the overall trajectory is strong.

"Top talent with good work product"

Pros

Work with numerous intelligent people

Cons

Don't always deal with stress in the best way