Brides by Demetrios Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Bridal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Brides by Demetrios (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful gowns, beautiful stores, great price point for customers

Cons

terrible management, bad buisness practices, do not care about employees or customers, no pay raises

Advice to Management

Immplement better training system, higher pay for managers and consultants, yearly pay raises,

"Trash"

Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Brides by Demetrios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gown designs. Designer is talented.

Cons

Everything. More than enough to say negatively about the company. It's too bad for the designer his business is so unethical and shoddy. Such a trashy place. Don't pay for work output. Lies, no corporate customer service, run by family of designer. Can't pay bills so clients get upset and blame consultants. Trashy and rude customers. First experience in sales and corporate world and the worst company to work for. Insurance is half your paycheck, no raises, no bonuses- except for management. No management to speak of for months so consultants are running the salon for free and dealing with underhanded tactics by the company and customers. Yelled at, insulted, screamed at, blamed for products not arriving or for following styling protocols. Absolutely ridiculous. Do not take this company seriously AT ALL.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone running the corporate business and hire competent knowledgable trustworthy and business savvy professionals with integrity. Pay your employees for the hard work they do and get out of Macy's. Macy's doesn't even want a Demetrios salon in their stores- hence their own bridal advertising and bridal lines across the floor. Blatant stupidity runs amok in this company. Never will work in bridal or for a Demetrios Salon again.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Some of the customers, the industry

Cons

Expected to work overtime without compensation
    Must clean the store, bathrooms, floors, treated poorly.
    Pay is not equal to responsibilities or the amount of stress your under
    Company doesn't give raises, benefits are not affordable
    Improve your clientele

Advice to Management

Ship dresses on time, stop creating undo stress on your managers. Pay your bills on time. Stop making us lie, cheat and steal to achieve numbers. Advertise like every other company. try giving raises, try saying thank you instead of calling multiple times a day to make us feel bad for your lack of business.

"Just Don't Do It!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Brides by Demetrios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helped some great brides. Worked with a few nice people.

Cons

After spending many years in the bridal industry, it didn't take long to see what poor quality these gowns are. Quality of fabric and consistancy of beadwork/applique varied from gown to gown. This company is morally bankrupt. Employees are expected to special order "new" gowns for customers whose wedding dates are too close to really special order them a new dress on time. Then the floor sample will be sent to corporate, who will take it & wash it in a washing machine, size it down to whatever size was originally "ordered", take out the old size tag and replace it with a new one and then pass the gown off as brand new when the bride come in to see it. How is this ok? I doubt it is even legal, as the customer signed a contract to order herself a brand new gown in her size. Anything to make a sale at Demetrios.
    Pay is a joke here. Getting a well deserved raise is near impossible.....we are told to "sell more dresses" and make more commission, that is our "raise". When it is slow, which is way too often, employees are made to sit on the phone and call future brides, whose names were retrieved from past bridal expos, and try to get them to come into the store. While this isn't the worst way to get our name out there, we had to harass these poor people until they actually told us to stop calling them. At times I felt like a telemarketer, not a bridal consultant. Benefits are a sick joke. Over $500 a month for health insurance! Really? And over $1,000 to add a dependant!! What a slap in the face. One can find much cheaper health care benefits on their own. What it boils down to is that corporate does not care about their employees OR their customers, it is all about making the almighty dollar by any means necessary.

Advice to Management

Stop this nonsense of passing off worn floor samples as new. With a corporate office full of family members, nothing will ever change though. And HR, answer your emails, and when there is a problem...deal with it. Don't tell me, "I am aware this person is a problem. Give some time to take care of it", then never do a damn thing about it. How many hard working employees must you lose due to a bad seed? And blaming the store manager because business is too slow? Get real....start advertising in the right places and make some well constructed gowns for us to sell. Until that happens, brides in my area will continue purchasing name brand gowns from other local shops in the area.

5. "Horrible, horrible experience"

Former Employee - Gown Attendant/Receptionist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Gown Attendant/Receptionist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Brides by Demetrios part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For retail, the hours were actually pretty good. The environment was friendly a majority of the time.

Cons

Where do I began. My experience was fantastic at the beginning. I got the job and I thought everything was going well...until two weeks later, when I was fired because my manager interviewed someone randomly and since there were no available positions, decided since I was the newest employee that this girl could have my job, because she liked her better. Never having done ANYTHING wrong, never gotten told I was doing anything wrong, imagine my surprise when she pulled me into her office and just fired me like that. I've never left a company feeling so disrespected. And there's been quite a list of girls that have gone through that position. Point of the story, Brides by Demetrios doesn't seem to care much about their employees.

Advice to Management

I was told it takes 6 months to get comfortable in the job and that no job experience was necessary. Every task I was given, I accomplished easily and gave my very best effort. Always early, I enjoyed my job. And I got my position taken away for no reason. For a girl that they ended up not being able to get a hold of. Treat your staff with respect and don't lie. Give them a chance to show you what they can bring to your company, instead of getting rid of them every other week.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Brides by Demetrios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great selection of bridal gowns.

Cons

Mom and Pop business trying to operate as an International Corporation. No support for local stores from upper management

Advice to Management

Upgrade the interior of your stores, listen to your local Managers needs, advertise locally.

7. "Tough company to work for"

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Brides by Demetrios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best thing would be working with some fun people. Hours aren't awful... Weekdays 12-8 isn't a terrible shift. Some dresses were pretty and easy to sell.

Cons

Some other employees are bad at their job and plain lazy. It's clear that the company only wants to make money and will do anything to get money.

Advice to Management

Awful. Can't say anything worse about my superior. I don't think she works there anymore, but she was a straight-up evil person. She liked me, but for the people who were on her "bad side" she was just horrible to them. And to one girl who was actually really good!

8. "Bridal Consultant"

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Brides by Demetrios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working with the brides

Cons

Very unorganized management team, family run but large company so there are many kinks

"RESEARCH BEFORE APPLYING"

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

* Receive comm. from EVERY sale
    * Easy job
    * Good hours 40 every week

Cons

* TOOOOOO much down time
    * No health care
    * No 401k plan
    * Benefits SUCKS ASS

Advice to Management

Follow your own advice!!! Don't tell us NOT to do something and go behind our back and do the EXACT same thing that you were complaining not to do. Your the leader so be one!!!! STOP discounting merchandise for unnesscessary reasons we need the full payment from these brides we are NOT a discount retailer.

"Never again"

I worked at Brides by Demetrios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy money. The brides most of the time

Cons

The corporate, the managers, the standards

Advice to Management

Don't screw over your brides by giving out floor samples when they purchase a new one and are led to believe they are new