Bridgeline Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ari Kahn
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good work environment and nice balance between work and life (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of good people with sound technical background (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • What I can say is what many others do - the work/life balance has been historically difficult (in 7 reviews)

• This holds good people down and the best eventually leave (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company with a lot of upside"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bridgeline has a strong product offering for digital engagement and marketing automation. Developers are encouraged to stay current with .NET and surrounding web technologies which helps them build a solid technical profile.

Cons

At Bridgeline you are awarded by taking initiative and is not always a good fit for those without a technical mindset.

2. "Great Co-Workers"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Burlington, MA

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bridgeline has the amazing ability to hire the best of the best to work at their company - employees are hardworking, passionate and excellent mentors.

Cons

When I was working at Bridgeline there were many things left to be desired, the management lost sight of their employees a lot of the time, and the company hit a downward spiral for a while. I have heard that things have turned around & wish all current and future employees the best - the company has a great product and the employees are incredibly hard working.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team members.

"Exciting Future"

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bridgeline is like working at a startup that has the resources of a mature company. We are innovating new products and expanding our customer base, but we are doing this based on a solid and mature foundation.

Cons

The company has offices in several cities so you are not always face to face with your colleagues.

Advice to Management

As we grow be careful to maintain the entrepreneurial culture.

"Headed in the right direction"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been a Bridgeline employee for several years now. I love getting to work with highly recognizable clients building exciting and challenging applications. The leadership team truly cares about its employees. You are part of the family not just a body in a seat. They have built a great work environment and culture that makes coming to work a enjoyable.

Cons

The new leadership in place is addressing the issues that were hurting us in the past. Things truly are headed in the right direction.

"Great product and employees, but you just never know what's going to happen."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A new COO with a great reputation for building a company into something grand.
    Great people and talent! I really like working here because it's a nice environment overall. Breakfast Fridays.
    The benefits are good too.
    People are friendly.

Cons

The company has gone through a wave of layoffs with then intent in going in a better direction. It will probably take some time to feel more stable.

Advice to Management

We need to feel a sense of stability.

"Great people, Good Product and stressful"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hard working people and the product iapps is alright just hard to get hold of it with little or no documentation. I enjoyed working here because of the developers I worked with. Very good people and I believe the people are the best asset the company have.

Cons

Very stressful, overworked and poor processes and management. It seems it's all about revenue and the company is constantly changing the organizational chart. More reactive than proactive. 21 layoffs so far this year. Extreme turnover is killing the company.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people and don't overwork them. Documentation for iapps and make it easier for developers to use iapps and not just clients.

"Oh the Places You Won't Go"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This list of Pros is written from the perspective of someone who has been gone about a year - can't vouch for the current culture:

- worked with some truly talented people many of whom are still good friends
    - at one point, there was a kick-butt dynamic sales team
    - having a national footprint made it interesting and let me work with some great brands and companies
    - as a core CMS product, iAPPS was pretty good
    - if you liked tequilla shots, this was the place for you

Cons

The list of Cons is fairly endless so I won't go forever:

- let's start with the last sham post on Glassdoor....nope - those aren't "fake bad reviews". The "Con" is that the CEO has pressured employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor, particularly new employees. Don't believe the reviews - or believe them (take a job there and find out for yourself). Yeah, some of these reviews have really piled on but there is truth in all of them. (All the investors on the Yahoo Finance message board must be making up their criticism of the company too).

- the extremely charming and charismatic CEO is completely self-unaware and resorts to bullying tactics to get his way (which would be fine if "his way" was the right way, but its been disastrously incorrect many, many times). Unfortunately, most employees, customers and investors drawn into his orbit of narcissism find out too late what a colossal mistake they've made when they ignored that creeping suspicion of "too good to be true" and allowed themselves to be sucked in.

- any goodwill you ever developed with a customer will at some point be flushed down the toilet, no matter how dedicated or talented you are personally. The company simply has bit off more than it can chew and doesn't have the cash flow, bench strength, infrastructure, subject matter expertise, or R&D capabilities to be successful everyplace they are trying to be. So, the project that you loved getting put on at the beginning will invariably go south - because of poor scoping, because of reliance on a product that can't handle everything its been purported to be able to handle, because of project overruns that cause resources to be shifted elsewhere, etc. The customer will eventually hate you. Saw it happen all the time.

Advice to Management

Is there any management left? Most of the top talent fled the company over the past 18 months for much greener pastures. Most anyone good that's left is holding on to whatever lucratively positive exit they can conjure in their heads at night to fall asleep instead of counting sheep. Management knows exactly what needs to happen. The founders of many major companies including JetBlue, Groupon, American Apparel, Yahoo all got shown the door at some point. That's the only advice that matters at this point. Sure, I could run through a list of "make sure you listen to your employees, treat your customers better, etc." but the truth is that none of this matters without taking care of that one, leadership situation and based on their latest financial results, time is running out.

"Worst job I've EVER had"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some really cool people. Everyone works their tail off.

Cons

There is no direction, no reward for hard work, no foreseeable successes at this company. Bridgeline uses employees to try to make a profit any way they can. Bridgeline does NOT take care of the customers that they have. They lie lie lie and make empty promises to employees and customers alike. I left a career with a bright future to work here, made mediocre pay and felt constantly threatened in regard to my job because of the high turnover. When I first joined, I was warned about the culture of the executive management at the company and discovered that this was very true shortly thereafter.
    We have created a Facebook page for all of the former Bridgeline employees. Each and every one of them had a horrible experience with the company and each and every former employee breathes a sigh of relief when they no longer have to work for this company. If you are considering leaving your job for Bridgeline.....please reconsider before you find yourself stuck at a company that doesn't care for you. ALL of the poor reviews on here are 100% spot on. They good reviews are either New employees that are still drinking the koolaid or people that the CEO has pressured into writing the review (also a true story)

Advice to Management

The CEO is not a good leader and a poor person in general. Replacing him may solve some of the problems that he has created, but it may be too late to repair the type of culture that he has cultivated at this company.

Bridgeline Digital Response

Feb 21, 2015 – President & CEO

The Management Team at Bridgeline is of the opinion the vast majority of the negative posts made over the past 18 months have been from a small group of disgruntled former employees who were let go ... More

"This company if failing because of the CEO"

I worked at Bridgeline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people except for the CEO. There are many bright people, but it is only time that they will also be looking for employment.

Cons

Employee expenses are not being paid in a timely manner. The CEO thinks that if he pays a decent salary the employee can wait to get paid for employee incurred expenses. Additionally Bridgeline just laid off approximately 10 employees out of their 100 or so staff. Some of the employees that were laid off were with the company for 10 years. But the CEO insisted on keeping interns (which are children of the CEO) who do nothing and have no experience. You clearly see the CEO does not care about employee retention only keeping his family employed!

On day the 10 people were laid off the CEO took the Burlington office to happy hour. Needless to say this companies priorities are way off

Advice to Management

The financial investors need to take action NOW and replace the CEO before they loose more money on this failing company!

Bridgeline Digital Response

Feb 21, 2015 – President & CEO

I agree, we have very very bright employees. I am amazed all of the time and its a true pleasure to work with each and every one. Bridgeline pays all of its valued employees timely. Since our ... More

"Company with a Bright Future"

I have been working at Bridgeline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very Competitive Pay
    -A real chance to build on your personal career growth and make a true impact on the organization
    -A great product in iAPPS that is constantly being worked on by Research and Development to be improved
    -The people you work with who genuinely love working with one another on projects

I have been here about 6 months and whatever the previous Burlington, MA poor reviews are either lies or are now no longer the case after the former employees that wrote them left. The people in place now at high level positions are taking the necessary steps to move the organization in the right direction. If you are looking into a position at Bridgeline, once you speak to one of them you'll realize why this is a great place to advance your career

Cons

There aren't Cons but more things that were important points to improve on which were addressed in company restructuring and delivery process changes

Work/Life Balance - There are a lot of projects and pressure to perform at a high level. I believe that its understandable that at any company that's competitive and pays competitively this is the norm. People are not working as many hours as were stated previously and are continuing to hire more people on to allow for more collaboration on projects and prevent people from needing to work those hours

Advice to Management

Continue and follow through with plans for delivery process improvements. These are very important steps in the right direction that will lead to a great future for Bridgeline.