Bridgepoint Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • What upper management doesn't realize is that advisors aren't happy with the direction of the company (in 13 reviews)

• It always seems to be a cost savings method and as time goes on great people are let go and those who stay, most are always looking to leave (in 7 reviews)

"Great company, awesome culture"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

The people are amazing, everybody is positive, CEO is focused on making it a great place to work, solid benefits

Cons

Company has decreased in size lately, but appears to be well positioned for growth in the future

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on culture, it will differentiate you in this market

Oct 21, 2017 – VP, Talent Acquisition, HR Ops, and Total Rewards

Thank you for the feedback and recommendation. Our work with the Crossroads workshops for all employees continues, and the next chapter, called Bridge Builders is currently being worked on, in which... More

"This is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great benefits! We have a gym and an on-site medical clinic.
    -Want to earn or finish your bachelors, masters or phd? Employees get a great tuition assistance program.
    -Very nice, competent people to work with.
    -A lot is expected, but always by doing things the right way.
    -A great place to become a first-time manager.

Cons

Can't think of anything that's a big Con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Oct 11, 2017 – VP, Talent Acq., HR Ops, & Total Rewards

Thank you for the feedback! We strive to be a better place to work each day, and big plans for continued improvement.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The company has tons of health benefits, educational benefits as well as 401K and stock options. They really try and make sure you don't want to leave the company.

Cons

High turnover and it isn't always just unproductive staff. Sometimes they look at the higher earners as an expense not a valued loyal person.

Advice to Management

Keep in my staff that have been there the longest and really care about their work. They do a really job at making you love and want to be there but, if you decide to be there for a the long term, you are just kind of lost in the shuffle in the long run.

Oct 11, 2017 – VP, Talent Acq., HR Ops, & Total Rewards

Thank you for the feedback. We recently bench-marked our internal mobility rate, and found that we have a healthy percentage of employees that grab opportunities in other areas of the business, as... More

"Admissions"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is good and we get decent health benefits.

Cons

The worst part of this organization is everybody in leadership .

Advice to Management

The best employees in all of admissions or the enrollment and services reps. It is absolutely ridiculous that the directors can go against university policy for absolutely everything as long as it helps them hit their numbers. At the end of the day the last person that ever gets considered is the actual student and this is absolutely pathetic . Everyone of these students is only considered a number and you actually get in trouble if you try to help them passed your first class .The only thing that management wants us to do after somebody passes their first class is to constantly bugged him and asked for free leads i.e. referrals unless you are part of a good boy club there is zero chance for a moment up into management

Oct 17, 2017 – VP, Talent Acquisition, HR Ops, and Total Rewards

Thank you for your 3+ years of service to our students. After watching the Commencement and hearing our student's stories, it's amazing just how much impact our team is having on the lives of our... More

"Collaborative work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-New leadership teams seem to really be committed to creating positive change
    -Sweet campus, the waterfalls outside make for a really peaceful lunch every day
    -Cafeteria is great, you can have sushi EVERY day if you want to!
    -Great benefits, flexible scheduling

Cons

-There are some longer-tenured employees who seem resistant to change

Advice to Management

Try to take a pulse on even your lowest-level of employees. You'd be surprised at how much insight they may be able to provide. Andrew, the CEO, already regularly does this. If the CEO does this, all levels of management should make it a priority as well.

Oct 3, 2017 – VP of HR Ops

Thank you for this feedback! As Teamwork is one of our core values, we are growing our ability to hear the voice of all level through Coffee with Andrew, Ask Andrew, Round Tables with Benefits... More

"A Stepping Stone At Best"

Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k, health, downtown location, social environment (this can also be a bad thing), decent entry level pay, education benefits, you can work just 40 hours a week. If you have never had a job out of college or been in an office environment this job will teach you a lot.

Cons

Turnover. The job is sales. There are goals and KPIs that you are expected to hit and if you don't you will be let go. If you are in a student facing role you will not receive any sort of commission or incentives. There are no company events or happy hours. Essentially take all the perks of sales and remove them but keep the expectations and stress and you have an advisor role at Bridgepoint. While a social environment can be a good thing, with that comes office politics, drama, and unprofessionalism. There is no upward mobility so do not expect this to be a career.

Advice to Management

The company is trying hard to become a great place to work on the executive level, but ultimately mid level management is still not on board and stuck in old times. Culture is not going to change overnight. Treat your employees well and understand that this is in Higher Education and should not have a sales mindset. Remove the numbers, back the mission.

Oct 12, 2017 – VP, Talent Acquisition, HR Ops, and Total Rewards

Thank you for the 3+ years of service to our students. Feedback is a gift. If there are any specific recommendations or solutions you would like to share, please send them to philip.dana@bpiedu.com.

7. "Great Atmosphere"

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

schedule, pay, great people, building located in the heart of the city

Cons

can be difficult to get a hold of people

Advice to Management

stay positive

Oct 3, 2017 – VP of HR Ops

Thank you for the feedback! Hopefully, our launch of our new intranet, Insight 3.0, will help in getting in touch with teammates.

"Continuously Striving for Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There are a lot of great people with great ideas working here
    - People want to learn and make things work more efficiently
    - There is a lot of opportunity for growth
    - Great benefits
    - Changes in leadership bring new ideas and continuous focus on challenging the status quo

Overall, the people working here are passionate about what they do. Bridgepoint is a fantastic place to work if you want to challenge yourself and find an environment that fosters growth and professional development. Don't turn down an opportunity to join an amazing group of people working to help people educate themselves and better their lives.

Cons

- Manual processes need to be improved
    - Some employees are resistant to change and have a tendency toward a negative outlook
    - Recent bad press coverage has lowered public opinion

Advice to Management

Create and share clear strategies that provide your employees and the public with a better understanding of what it is we do here. Make it more clear that you're not just in it for the money, but that your mission is to educate people to create a better future.

"10 Years Growing Together"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with like minded, motivated and caring teammates has helped me look forward to coming to work everyday. Finding solutions that promote student educational advancement is very rewarding. Knowing that what I do makes a difference in our community and across this nation fulfills for my personal purpose. I'm looking forward to the next 20 years and the advancements we will make together.

Cons

We are always looking for talented teamates that thrive in a fast paced environment.

"Keeps Getting Better"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Amazing team environment with amazing people.
    Already had wonderful benefits and new Total Reward Program even better.
    Leadership is visible and open to feedback
    For someone passionate about education, nothing beats helping students earn a degree

Cons

Like all for profit institutions, the company will continue to face regulatory challenges that need to be worked through.